• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

god damn this DOOM box art is bad

DarkFlame

Banned
some one need to add GOTY edition and other stuff like the Batman AC box.
batman-ign.jpg

hhahahahhahahhah,i'm dying

Jito

Banned
It's not the best box art they could have picked..

But who cares? We're living in the digital age, no time for boxed games.

Collectors edition looks hot as well.

biteren

its a big deal cause DOOM i guess, but this is ok. getting some chuckles out of the covers lol

i think you missed this part

i think this makes fun of the cover and the people who critisize it

also the cover int great

Is it a relatively unimportant detail? Yes. Does it mean it's immune to criticism? Hell no. Especially when there's no good argument for not going with something closer to retro covers. (Except "weird mom buys son games with marines with shotguns but not with demons", I suppose, but should we really support children lying to their parents? I think not.)

No John, you are the demons!

Damn, should have expected this.

Raitaro

This thread is killing me

Indeed. I've been chuckling pretty much all day. Keep it coming guys and gals!

But seriously though, how cool would it have been if they'd actually used a cover with the "Wood" logo and design that you'd have to flip upside down? Cool enough that it would finally dethrone Phalanx' SNES box art in terms of ball to the wall absurdity I tell you.

EGM1966

Yup. With possibly 80% of sales driven by retail purchase in stores the fact this cover is so bad you'd avoid it while browsing ain't no problem at all!

Talking console BTW. PC they'll get away with it on Steam but honestly it's like they asked the design team for the least commercially attractive cover.

Jito

Banned
Yup. With possibly 80% of sales driven by retail purchase in stores the fact this cover is so bad you'd avoid it while browsing ain't no problem at all!

Lol thinking doom won't sell like hot cakes based on name alone. Could just be a blank box with the name and it'd be better off.

lazygecko

Talking console BTW. PC they'll get away with it on Steam but honestly it's like they asked the design team for the least commercially attractive cover.

"We need to make sure our game is noticed by the general public... By making it blend into the crowd as much as possible"

"We need to make sure our game is noticed by the general public... By making it blend into the crowd as much as possible"

I actually would really, really like to see some "normal" people buying things at a "normal" store with game shelves. I really wonder if a game distinguishing itself gets automatically skipped.

Spoo

I must be the only person who is not offended by the cover lol.

They should really just change it -- there's a lot of stuff in this thread that is better.

Don't judge a book by its cover?

Exactly. Let's not get carried away, yeah? At least watch a gameplay trailer, which is a better -- though far from perfect -- barometer of the experience you're in for.

That said, the box art looks like a winning entry from a competition for Least Inspired Artwork.

Junahu

Don't judge a book by its cover?
If they can't even be bothered to make cover art that expresses what the game actually is, then I'm perfectly fine with "judging a book by its cover". It shows a spectacular lack of faith in the product to try to sell it to people with such a generic image.

mdsfx

What little enthusiasm I had for DOOM was washed away in the sea of urine soaking the cover. So boring and uninspired, and gives me the impression that the game will be too.
Jesus really? All of that production and you let the a single graphic ruin it? I'm sure we can provide you with mountains of amazing games hidden behind terrible cover art.

If they can't even be bothered to make cover art that expresses what the game actually is, then I'm perfectly fine with "judging a book by its cover". It shows a spectacular lack of faith in the product to try to sell it to people with such a generic image.

Unfortunately this is not necessarily true. It can also show a spectacular lack of belief in general market to consider products that are not homogenized.

wwm0nkey

I just think that is a really silly reason. I always judge the game based off the game itself and not some cover. But I am a bit biased after having played the alpha.

Idk seems like a super silly reason not to buy a game.
Unfortunately this is not necessarily true. It can also show a spectacular lack of belief in general market to consider products that are not homogenized.

Also this

Top Bottom