• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Eater: Resurrection |OT| "You have three orders..."

UCBooties

Sorry if I missed this trying to read through the thread, does this have cross save between the Vita and PS4 versions? I think I'm going to buy this digital now for the Vita and then get the physical of GE2 for the PS4. Will I be able to transfer my progress to PS4 when I get the PS4 code in August?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So, for those not looking to PIck this up immediately, is the best course of action to pre-order PS4 God Eater 2 retail and get this game for free?

Does the pre-order bonus count for retail chains like gamestop?

sensui-tomo

So, for those not looking to PIck this up immediately, is the best course of action to pre-order PS4 God Eater 2 retail and get this game for free?

I believe God eater 1 resurrection is just a first print bonus for GE2, so yeah just preorder it wherever for PS4. you'll be waiting till GE2 releases though to play GE1

If you want to play this tomorrow, you have to pick up the digital copy on PSN. If not, then you can just pick up GE2RB and get the code for GER inside your copy of the game when it launches in August.

Thank you for the awesome OT! :D I'm so happy to see a bunch of other people excited for this finally coming here. I've been watching people stream the Japanese release on Playstation streams for what feels like forever now and would always feel like it was never going to be localized. Now, here we are with tomorrow being the day!

Now the question is Steam or PS4. I assume there will be a community on both, but I'd love to play with fellow GAFers.

EDIT: To be honest, I'm super tempted to double dip. Been waiting for this moment for so long!

Yeah, it took so long I was worried it was never going to get licensed for a while there.

Looking forward to it though I'll have to play it in August since I've preordered the physical PS4 copy to get both games.

Is there a story mode in this? I know that's not the focus of these games, just curious if there's anything worthwhile on that front.

sensui-tomo

Is there a story mode in this? I know that's not the focus of these games, just curious if there's anything worthwhile on that front.
It's got more story then Mon Hun does if that's what you're asking, not sure if it's comparable to soul sacrifice. But in all there is a story.

ChrisDM

Just got final confirmation that both games won't be out on Steam until August 30th. Was a little confused about the release plan after reading some of your comments. sadpanda :(

https://twitter.com/DKhlynin/status/747493184008138753

Well it looks like my decision has been made - PS4 it is. Larger community anyway and might double dip later. I don't want to wait longer/have to work on both games right before my grad semester starts. :(

Sorry if I missed this trying to read through the thread, does this have cross save between the Vita and PS4 versions? I think I'm going to buy this digital now for the Vita and then get the physical of GE2 for the PS4. Will I be able to transfer my progress to PS4 when I get the PS4 code in August?

Yep! Cross-save is a thing for sure.

Yeah, it took so long I was worried it was never going to get licensed for a while there.

Looking forward to it though I'll have to play it in August since I've preordered the physical PS4 copy to get both games.

I definitely gave up for a while and thought my life would only be to watch streams and get excitement from those from then on hahah.

RK128

Nice OT Names :D! Looking forward to this game and I know how excited you have been since God Eater was announced for localization last holiday. Finally happening and I can't wait to dive into the world of God Eater tomorrow :)

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Wait. I'm not seeing this game (or God Eater 2) on the US PS4 store. What the fuck? How do i get Resurrection for free if I can't preorder GE2? The hell.

Some people didn't like it, but I thought the anime was good. Should've been 24 eps. Never been a monster hunter fan though. Not sure if the game is for me.

SkyOdin

Soo, how does this compare against MH?

So from those who played the original, what's good about it? I'm waiting for reviews and gameplay shots before I decide on it

I'll try my best to tackle these two questions based on the original God Eater Burst.

Now, I would say that God Eater is in many ways a more entry level Hunting Action game than Monster Hunter. Compared to Monster Hunter, it is much more transparent about a lot of game mechanics, and it gives you a lot more powerful AI back-up. For example, where in Monster Hunter you need to pay attention to visual cues to tell when a monster enrages, God Eater just explicitly tells you that the monster is enraged via UI pop-up text. The game is much more obvious about how much damage you are doing as well. I actually learned a lot of the basics of how the genre works from God Eater, and I was able to transfer that knowledge into Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, which was my first MH game.

A key difference though is in the actual fighting. All God Eater players bring a melee weapon, a ranged weapon, and a shield into battle. At any moment, you can press a button to instantly swap between your weapon's gun mode and melee mode. Melee attacks absorb energy from enemies, while the gun mode uses up that energy to shoot special bullets. The melee weapons come a variety of forms, ranging from small fast blades to heavy blades with a powerful charge attack. The original God Eater only had three types of swords, but God Eater 2 Rage Burst should add several new varieties. All characters also can both use a quick step dash rather than the MH slow roll as well as jump at will (and use air combos). So mobility is a lot higher as a baseline compared to Monster Hunter. Everyone also can access a shield block, though there is a difference in performance between small fast-to-deploy shields and heavy, slow tower shields. Furthermore, death is a lot more forgiving than Monster Hunter; you have grace period after losing all of your health in which an ally has a chance to revive you, preventing the reward deduction.

On the other hand, God Eater doesn't use the segmented maps of Monster Hunter. Instead, the map is one seemless area. And those maps tend to have more monsters in them at once than Monster Hunter. It isn't unusual to have to fight two or three monsters at once in God Eater (plus large numbers of aggressive small monsters), and dealing with that requires different tactics than in Monster Hunter, since you don't have the option of retreating over a zone line or returning to a safe zone. Dealing with multiple monsters mandates using flash grenades to stun them and splitting up your team to have some members hold off one monster while the others take down the other.

Now, one of the biggest selling points of God Eater's single player is that it has the best AI allies in any game I have ever played. They are incredibly capable, exude personality, and yet don't overshadow the player. What they are best at is surviving and supporting the player's actions. You can leave an AI ally to solo a large monster, and they will be able to hold their own pretty well. However, the AI allies are not particularly good at actually killing large monsters, so it is up to the player to do the most important part of the fighting. Managing your team mid-battle is a lot of fun, and you can pull off some cool strategies when trying to fight multiple monsters at once.

The other really cool feature of God Eater is bullet customization. The games have a system where you can program your bullets to behave in some complex patterns. For example, you can shoot a big slow-moving bullet that shoots other, faster bullets. You can shoot a bullet that doesn't do any damage on its own, but will instead cling to the target it hits and shoot out a healing flamethrower effect. You can create bullets that fire upwards at a 45 degree angle before transforming into homing lasers. There are an almost endless number of possibilities.

chobo

Neo Member
Sorry I'm new the the franchise, can someone explain to me whats the difference between this and God Eater 2: Rage Burst?

ChrisDM

I'll try my best to tackle these two questions based on the original God Eater Burst.

Now, I would say that God Eater is in many ways a more entry level Hunting Action game than Monster Hunter. Compared to Monster Hunter, it is much more transparent about a lot of game mechanics, and it gives you a lot more powerful AI back-up. For example, where in Monster Hunter you need to pay attention to visual cues to tell when a monster enrages, God Eater just explicitly tells you that the monster is enraged via UI pop-up text. The game is much more obvious about how much damage you are doing as well. I actually learned a lot of the basics of how the genre works from God Eater, and I was able to transfer that knowledge into Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, which was my first MH game.

A key difference though is in the actual fighting. All God Eater players bring a melee weapon, a ranged weapon, and a shield into battle. At any moment, you can press a button to instantly swap between your weapon's gun mode and melee mode. Melee attacks absorb energy from enemies, while the gun mode uses up that energy to shoot special bullets. The melee weapons come a variety of forms, ranging from small fast blades to heavy blades with a powerful charge attack. The original God Eater only had three types of swords, but God Eater 2 Rage Burst should add several new varieties. All characters also can both use a quick step dash rather than the MH slow roll as well as jump at will (and use air combos). So mobility is a lot higher as a baseline compared to Monster Hunter. Everyone also can access a shield block, though there is a difference in performance between small fast-to-deploy shields and heavy, slow tower shields. Furthermore, death is a lot more forgiving than Monster Hunter; you have grace period after losing all of your health in which an ally has a chance to revive you, preventing the reward deduction.

On the other hand, God Eater doesn't use the segmented maps of Monster Hunter. Instead, the map is one seemless area. And those maps tend to have more monsters in them at once than Monster Hunter. It isn't unusual to have to fight two or three monsters at once in God Eater (plus large numbers of aggressive small monsters), and dealing with that requires different tactics than in Monster Hunter, since you don't have the option of retreating over a zone line or returning to a safe zone. Dealing with multiple monsters mandates using flash grenades to stun them and splitting up your team to have some members hold off one monster while the others take down the other.

Now, one of the biggest selling points of God Eater's single player is that it has the best AI allies in any game I have ever played. They are incredibly capable, exude personality, and yet don't overshadow the player. What they are best at is surviving and supporting the player's actions. You can leave an AI ally to solo a large monster, and they will be able to hold their own pretty well. However, the AI allies are not particularly good at actually killing large monsters, so it is up to the player to do the most important part of the fighting. Managing your team mid-battle is a lot of fun, and you can pull off some cool strategies when trying to fight multiple monsters at once.

The other really cool feature of God Eater is bullet customization. The games have a system where you can program your bullets to behave in some complex patterns. For example, you can shoot a big slow-moving bullet that shoots other, faster bullets. You can shoot a bullet that doesn't do any damage on its own, but will instead cling to the target it hits and shoot out a healing flamethrower effect. You can create bullets that fire upwards at a 45 degree angle before transforming into homing lasers. There are an almost endless number of possibilities.

Quality post right here! :D Thank you!

SkyOdin

So how exactly does bullet modding work? Because I just shuddered at hearing that with all the Freedom Wars shit I did.

First of all, I am not sure what you are thinking about, since Freedom Wars doesn't have anything remotely like God Eater's custom bullet system. In God Eater, you go into a special customization menu. There, you can use various program parts to assemble a bullet from a chain of different sub-actions, each of which has its own ammo cost, damage, and so forth. So, simple bullets that just shoot forward are pretty cheap, while complex bullets that have multiple steps cost more.

You can create as many of these bullets as you want, and creating them is essentially free. However, you can only equip a limited number of bullets at once, so the game encourages to adjust your set-up to match what kinds of opponents you will be facing. All "ammo" in the game is actually just an energy gauge. You can refill that gauge mid-battle either by attacking in melee or using energy refill items.

EDIT: I guess I should also explain that bullets and guns are entirely separate. Any gun can shoot any bullet. However, the power and effectiveness of the bullet is based on the stats of the gun. Some guns are better at piercing shots like lasers, while others are better at crushing type bullets such as bombs. Similarly, some are better at doing ice damage, while others are better at doing fire damage. So you want to be using bullets that correspond to the strengths of your gun.

Seems like the PSN link is broken now.

Links aren't up at all, the preorders aren't live yet. They will go up sometime tomorrow when the PSN Store updates.

So how exactly does bullet modding work? Because I just shuddered at hearing that with all the Freedom Wars shit I did.

First of all, I am not sure what you are thinking about, since Freedom Wars doesn't have anything remotely like God Eater's custom bullet system. In God Eater, you go into a special customization menu. There, you can use various program parts to assemble a bullet from a chain of different sub-actions, each of which has its own ammo cost, damage, and so forth. So, simple bullets that just shoot forward are pretty cheap, while complex bullets that have multiple steps cost more.

You can create as many of these bullets as you want, and creating them is essentially free. However, you can only equip a limited number of bullets at once, so the game encourages to adjust your set-up to match what kinds of opponents you will be facing. All "ammo" in the game is actually just an energy gauge. You can refill that gauge mid-battle either by attacking in melee or using energy refill items.

Adding on to his excellent explanation, here's this video of some cool bullet combinations someone made on God Eater Burst. Key word being Burst, this is PSP footage so disregard the blurry graphics. It's the best and most comprehensive visual representation of what bullet customization looks like that I could find on Youtube in English, but you can see the kind of cool things you can do with it. With Resurrection I'm sure you can do even more than you could with Burst. Personally, I can't wait to go back to the lab and create all kinds of crazy stuff to use against the Aragami.

Novocaine

Waaah totally forgot God Eater was finally coming. Though I think I'll wait for 2. Hopefully Australia gets a release this time around.

EDIT: I guess I should also explain that bullets and guns are entirely separate. Any gun can shoot any bullet. However, the power and effectiveness of the bullet is based on the stats of the gun. Some guns are better at piercing shots like lasers, while others are better at crushing type bullets such as bombs. Similarly, some are better at doing ice damage, while others are better at doing fire damage. So you want to be using bullets that correspond to the strengths of your gun.

Links aren't up at all, the preorders aren't live yet. They will go up sometime tomorrow when the PSN Store updates.

Adding on to his excellent explanation, here's this video of some cool bullet combinations someone made on God Eater Burst. Key word being Burst, this is PSP footage so disregard the blurry graphics. It's the best and most comprehensive visual representation of what bullet customization looks like that I could find on Youtube in English, but you can see the kind of cool things you can do with it. With Resurrection I'm sure you can do even more than you could with Burst. Personally, I can't wait to go back to the lab and create all kinds of crazy stuff to use against the Aragami.

Thank you. Was going to go mental for a bit.

I'll watch the video in a bit

Not sure what I will do, I think 1 on vita and 2 on pc later.
I own vanilla 2 on vita in japaneae because was 14 shipped on ebay, but never got far.

Zelias

Banned
As someone who hasn't played much of the hunting genre outside of PSO (if that even counts), I'm pretty excited for this. Shame I'll have to wait until August though :/

Aiustis

I imported the original one waay back when for my psp. Enjoyed it a lot. Played some of the vita version. Wish I still had one since I'd definitely play this 90% more on handheld. Oh well, PC it is.

you guys had me throwing up on myself in excitement for a moment yesterday. makes me worry the pc port wont be good enough for me to run, main reason i was excited to get it pre order bonus early. toukiden runs on my pc like old milk.

Kysen

They tried to spruce it up in this version of the game but it is straight inferior to GE2:RB.

The biggest problems are
-Blood artes gone, as a result a huge part of gameplay is gone. Some of the blood artes change character movement drastically. The predator system they put in pales in comparison.
-Less characters and shorter story.
-Fewer maps this is a huge problem as hunting games are already repetitive but this compounds the issue.

The only god eater game I haven't platinumed, just couldn't keep playing after finishing the story. Went back to RB.

Top Bottom