• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
LOL @ expecting a prequel six months out from the PS4 launch to reinvent the series

Lets be real here they are not going to replace Kratos.

Unless its a new IP of course.
Agreed on both points. Ascension is aiming to be a refinement of the Greek theme and Kratos' blades/character. I want the new mythologu saved for GoW4 on PS4 so it can have every "new coat of paint" feature thrown on to it.

I also expect Kratos to be back, he's far too iconic to drop. Giving him a new story, new clothes, and new weapons would give him a feeling of being changed without having to replace him. I'd love to see another trilogy, each set in a different mythology, that all revolves around Kratos bringing about the end of the world in each one, just kike he did for Greece.

Alebrije

If they make a God of War game with different culture hope they review Aztecas they have lots of deities. Also Aztecas are know for their brutallity not only with human sacrifices but for the way they conquered other cultures and territories.

Just fo rexplample :

Aztecas god of war : HUITZILOPOCHTLI

d2.jpg

Art concept :

62588088.jpg

Aztecas God of Gods : TEZCATLIPOCA

http://proton.ucting.udg.mx/temas/conozca/dioses/d1.jpg

QUETZALCOATL : La serpiente emplumada

d3.jpg

quetzatcoatl.jpg

CHALCHIUTLICUE : Godness of water

Chalchiuhtlicue_Water_Godess_by_Ehecatzin.jpg

TLALOC : God of rain

Tlaloc_by_drgn_skull05.jpg

XOCHIQUETZAL : Godess of beauty and love , art concept :

xochiquetzal2.jpg

XIUHTECUHTLI : God of fire , art concept :

Cuauht%C3%A9moc.jpg

I fact Aztecas have similar gods as greek culture. Also in Aztec culture some of the Gods change of gender depending wich other God/godness have in front or are talking with , also there is an intricated relathionship between those Gods. God material for writers.

Agreed on both points. Ascension is aiming to be a refinement of the Greek theme and Kratos' blades/character. I want the new mythologu saved for GoW4 on PS4 so it can have every "new coat of paint" feature thrown on to it.

I also expect Kratos to be back, he's far too iconic to drop. Giving him a new story, new clothes, and new weapons would give him a feeling of being changed without having to replace him. I'd love to see another trilogy, each set in a different mythology, that all revolves around Kratos bringing about the end of the world in each one, just kike he did for Greece.

Ughhhhhh. I'm tired of hearing Kratos scream. I think a really big PS4 GOW showing with a new main character + mythology would create a ton more buzz than using him again. The only time I want to see Kratos moving forward is in a boss fight where he's turned into a restless, crotchety, old prick who meets his match at the hand of a new protagonist that somehow slipped into Greek mythology before slipping back to wherever he came from.

SkylineRKR

I just beat Ghost of Sparta HD in anticipation of this game and I don't really expect Ascension to become as awesome as this game. GoS is my favourite game in the series, probably. Atlantis setting was perfect, and then this tag team boss battle... also fucking perfect. I beat it on PSP already but that was long ago, I even forgot about the awesome conclusion.

But yeah agreed about Kratos, GoW 3 ended his story nicely. I hoped for a Deimos game this time around. GoW doesn't need to die but a different lead and mythology is very welcome.

angels.phillipe

Neo Member
If they do kill Kratos, they might as well make a new IP, since him is one of the main reasons i play the game. It's same thing in the new DmC.

i-Lo

They can do something with his brother. The only issue is that Kratos' adventure encapsulates all major gods in the greek mythology. As such, it is best to move to a new mythology.

Sid

Ughhhhhh. I'm tired of hearing Kratos scream. I think a really big PS4 GOW showing with a new main character + mythology would create a ton more buzz than using him again. The only time I want to see Kratos moving forward is in a boss fight where he's turned into a restless, crotchety, old prick who meets his match at the hand of a new protagonist that somehow slipped into Greek mythology before slipping back to wherever he came from.
He's one of the very few recognizable Sony characters,I doubt that they would drop him.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Kratos in a new mythology would do a great deal to take the wind out of the sail, to me. I still say something Assassin Creed like would work great, keep something like the red lines iconic to his design and implement them on a new character.

zoukka

Please no aztec stuff. That gibberish is near impossible to pronounce and remember.

Fuck that noise. FFVIII taught me Quetzalcoatl (quezacotl) and I still can remember it. Maybe they can add some reminders for people like you in form of "quetzalcoatl, the serpent of feathers" or something :b

Demon Ice

Banned
Those Aztec designs are badass but those names are LOL, good luck getting the average gamer to pronounce / remember those.

I would love to see a God of War set in the Egyptian mythology.

The_Monk

Made my Pre-order today for the Steelbook case, DLC and 90 Days of PS Plus to add to my current subscription fellow GAFfers!

Endo Punk

Change anything but Kratos. I don't want SSM to cater to the people who hate Kratos and want to see a modern spin on the character design. That is BS and would ruin such a unique character. I'd rather a new protagonist. I do think the Greek setting has been played out so I hope SSM take Jaffe's advice and use a new mythology, the Aztec one sounds awesome btw.

I am going through GOWIII again and the art style is really remarkable. I also love the gameplay despite many thinking it's just square square triangle, I guess you get out what you put in and most don't put in much, which is a shame because you can do a lot with the gameplay and weapon switching. Kratos is probably one of the best designed character models this gen on any platform, and I do think he looks ev en better in Ascension.

Gonna get the game tomorrow. I don't know how i feel about this game. I dont feel so excited for the game because its a prequel and dont feel like a major game like the 3rd one. But still GoW is GoW. I hope i will like it.

Lets be real here they are not going to replace Kratos.

Unless its a new IP of course.
I don't see why it needs to be a whole new IP to create a new character. The franchise is called God of War not Kratos. It can be whatever they want it to be. Resident Evil shook up the formula on the fourth entry, COD on the fourth entry, MGS4 mechanically. Mario Galaxy was the third 3D Mario and tried totally new things. Franchises that aren't like Assassins Creed, Halo and now GoW are starting to lose a lot of critical traction. God of War can not rest on its laurels.

Frankly, how can Kratos do any more? He plays the same in every game and has killed all of Greek mythology already. A new character, new franchise weapon, new mythology. have the character retain some sort of link to the old franchise, like the red mark. Or if they really need to, they can just retain Kratos, give him a new weapon in a new setting. Kratos is not built for continuity because his story is progressional. It's not like something like Zelda which basically resets every game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Game's at least climbed to 80% on meteoritic, so it's in 'the green' :p I understand franchise fatigue and other games doing certain things better, but It felt bit bad seeing a powerhouse game like this with a sub-80 average regardless.

Personally, I can't wait for the crazy spectacle.

Been playing the game...

The visuals are really good, but not that much improved from GoW3. Still, it's a nice looking game overall with lots of scope. The first couple of boss battles are what you'd expect, pretty much - over the top, huge set pieces. Having fun with it so far.

The concept of transplanting Kratos out of his world and into another world is so absurd, I can't believe how much traction it's gained in the community. Not that I would ever expect SSM to actually pay attention, but I just don't understand why people would think this would be reasonable.

Would it just be unexplained cross over fan fiction "We won't even tell you why this is happening" style? Would it be "Kratos steps through a portal"? Would they try to shoehorn the co-existence of another set of Gods into the world? There's just no reasonable, credible way to do it in a series that, for all it's faults, has developed an interesting narrative that we all enjoy.

Re-inventing the mythos would crush that. Just begin a new character.

The concept of transplanting Kratos out of his world and into another world is so absurd, I can't believe how much traction it's gained in the community. Not that I would ever expect SSM to actually pay attention, but I just don't understand why people would think this would be reasonable.

Would it just be unexplained cross over fan fiction "We won't even tell you why this is happening" style? Would it be "Kratos steps through a portal"? Would they try to shoehorn the co-existence of another set of Gods into the world? There's just no reasonable, credible way to do it in a series that, for all it's faults, has developed an interesting narrative that we all enjoy.

Re-inventing the mythos would crush that. Just begin a new character.

Yeah, I really think they should drop Kratos. It has to happen at some point and the launch of a new console offers a fresh start.

That Aztec art looks great. I too would love a new mythology. Norse seems like a next logical step. Or they could go with that crazy/cool idea of a modern setting with the unearthed Titans. Although, picturing GoW gameplay in a modern setting seems strange to me.

As far as getting rid of Kratos, I feel like that would have to be a must if switching up mythologies. Especially since Kratos' name is derived from Greek Mythology. I get how iconic Kratos has become, but the IP name of "God of War" is vague enough to fit, practically, all mythologies.

Yeah, I really think they should drop Kratos. It has to happen at some point and the launch of a new console offers a fresh start.

To be honest, I'd just love to see what SSM can do with an entirely new IP. This has been their baby for two generations, and I'm sure the temptation to see what they can do with the series is there, but God - I really, really, reeeeaaally want to see what these wizards can do without being shackled by a six game history of mechanics and lore.

Todd, Tank - just do it. A new SSM IP would crush heads.

As far as getting rid of Kratos, I feel like that would have to be a must if switching up mythologies. Especially since Kratos' name is derived from Greek Mythology. I get how iconic Kratos has become, but the IP name of "God of War" is vague enough to fit, practically, all mythologies.

Interesting idea - keep the series moniker but change the characters and setting. Sort of FF style. At the end of the day, all it might buy you is brand recognition, but I suppose if you kept similar mechanics, this could work. Again, part of why people are giving GOWA a hard time is burn out with the mechanics, so I think a re-invention in it's entirely is probably the order of the day. If you're gonna strip away everything about an IP, why stick with the name?

I'd be cool with a new mythology (egyptian or norse), but they should keep Kratos. Changing Dante for DmC, while not the only reason, did hurt sales. So I think they need to avoid that.

Demon Ice

Banned
I'd be cool with a new mythology (egyptian or norse), but they should keep Kratos. Changing Dante for DmC, while not the only reason, did hurt sales. So I think they need to avoid that.

I can't think of any story explanation for why Kratos is suddenly encountering gods from other mythologies that isn't ridiculously bad.

I think this team should start pre-production for PS4 for the "Mark of Kri" new art style more in the vein of God of War instead of the old Mark of Kri art style.

injurai

Banned
If they make a God of War game with different culture hope they review Aztecas they have lots of deities. Also Aztecas are know for their brutallity not only with human sacrifices but for the way they conquered other cultures and territories.

Just fo rexplample :

Aztecas god of war : HUITZILOPOCHTLI

d2.jpg

Art concept :

62588088.jpg

Aztecas God of Gods : TEZCATLIPOCA

http://proton.ucting.udg.mx/temas/conozca/dioses/d1.jpg

QUETZALCOATL : La serpiente emplumada

d3.jpg

quetzatcoatl.jpg

CHALCHIUTLICUE : Godness of water

Chalchiuhtlicue_Water_Godess_by_Ehecatzin.jpg

TLALOC : God of rain

Tlaloc_by_drgn_skull05.jpg

XOCHIQUETZAL : Godess of beauty and love , art concept :

xochiquetzal2.jpg

XIUHTECUHTLI : God of fire , art concept :

Cuauht%C3%A9moc.jpg

I fact Aztecas have similar gods as greek culture. Also in Aztec culture some of the Gods change of gender depending wich other God/godness have in front or are talking with , also there is an intricated relathionship between those Gods. God material for writers.

This would be amazing. If they go with Norse/Egyptian I want them to keep Kratos as the main character considering the Greek contact with those sociaties + I want to see what I supposed to happen after 3.

BUT, If and when they go with a new main character. It should be them switching over to Aztec/Mayan pantheons. This would be so incredible.

acevans2

I don't think Kratos has to go if they just make him less one-dimensional. And considering some of the comments about his different attitude in Ascension, I'm thinking there's no reason to be discussing how to get him out.

I do think different mythologies need to be brought in (as was the original long-term plan for the series, if I remember correctly). And when they put Kratos into other mythos, I'd like to see the overall story be more back & forth. I'd like to see different factions fighting for power at the same time, so that some individuals seem in control at one point, but tides turn, etc.

Up to now all the interesting story points from lore happened in the past, and Kratos' journey is all one final push to bring down the group that reigns supreme. It's less exciting than the actual Greek tales.

That being said I am incredibly psyched for Ascension. For some reason people act like Sony has saturated the market with GoW games, but this is only the 2nd entry in the series on the PS3. That's not a lot if you ask me.

zakislam

Anyone interested in a full from start to finish gameplay live stream? Just finished the game... don't mind playing it again.

TEH-CJ

Banned
There's that other thread about game opening's, and many people including myself have mentioned GOW3 as the biggest and best ever. I think it was always going to be a nigh on impossible task for the Ascension team to top it. If it was up to me I'd have gone the completely opposite direction.

I know that Krotos is more human in this game, and in the demo he even seems to care for one of the Spartans that gets mauled by the mini boss. They could have started the game with Kratos as the general just walking through the encampments of his soldiers, think towards the beginning of Gladiator, and then after speaking to or going through the encampment (tents, soldiers everywhere, training, making weapons etc), lead on to him entering the tent of his wife (que the scene they always show of him with his wife).

Could have moved on to some sort of great battle amidst the battlefield, maybe the one where Ares grants Kratos that army and makes him that damning offer.

Not saying the demo opening isn't spectacular, but it would have set a different tone and could have challenged GOW3's opening in a different sort of way.

Yup I was expecting this to be the opening to be honest. Maybe it was too dificult to pull of due to the ps3 limitations?

Kratos and his fellow spartans fighting barbarians in a large scale better would of been incredible and off something new and fresh in the god of war series

sad we will never see it happen though. Unless they make another prequel lol

I'm not sure why people were complaining about CG earlier in this thread.....for me CG cutscenes are the single best rewards in games. It's like getting movie quality production of your game for a few seconds/minutes! I can't think of any other game that blew me away more with it's CG than the first 2 God of War games - especially Part 2 with the awesome golden sun drenched scene with Cronos/Rhea and the epic war between Gods & Titans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKMrPV81gyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fEFd_BiXQg

Although they got rid of CG in GOW3 I still found the cutscenes to be almost as satisfying. I think the 2d stylized stuff was still CG if i'm not mistaken however.

The only company that I know of that still rewards it's players with CG ingame is Blizzard and thankfully because they have the best in the biz. The CG in Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 were my favourite parts of both games. I really hope more devs go back to telling specific story throughout the game using CG cutscenes and not just as intro vids etc.

I'm not sure why people were complaining about CG earlier in this thread.....for me CG cutscenes are the single best rewards in games. It's like getting movie quality production of your game for a few seconds/minutes! I can't think of any other game that blew me away more with it's CG than the first 2 God of War games - especially Part 2 with the awesome golden sun drenched scene with Cronos/Rhea and the epic war between Gods & Titans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKMrPV81gyo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fEFd_BiXQg

Although they got rid of CG in GOW3 I still found the cutscenes to be almost as satisfying. I think the 2d stylized stuff was still CG if i'm not mistaken however.

The only company that I know of that still rewards it's players with CG ingame is Blizzard and thankfully because they have the best in the biz. The CG in Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2 were my favourite parts of both games. I really hope more devs go back to telling specific story throughout the game using CG cutscenes and not just as intro vids etc.

Because CG breaks the immersion i think. Some games showed that without the need of CG, cutscenes can be made excellent. Think of Metal Gear Solid 4 or GoW3, both are great without the need of CG or anything. Also its expensive so i prefer if companies use those resources for something else than CG cutscenes.

I know they are expensive but can you say God of War 1 & 2 suffered because of it? Of course not.

Also I don't know where this immersion breaking thing comes from....I always know i'm playing a game and i'm high 100% of the time. Good graphics/music and general atmosphere (e.g story, particle effects) are keys to keeping me immersed.

OwlyKnees

I know they are expensive but can you say God of War 1 & 2 suffered because of it? Of course not.

Also I don't know where this immersion breaking thing comes from....I always know i'm playing a game and i'm high 100% of the time. Good graphics/music and general atmosphere (e.g story, particle effects) are keys to keeping me immersed.

I do agree that those are all important aspects regarding immersion, however it is simple to understand how CG can disrupt immersion for some. It's not about tricking ourselves into thinking we're not playing a game - it's often the disconnect between two. Quite often CG will contain much more advanced lighting effects and animations, completely altering the atmosphere when the game decides to switch back and forth.

They can be fun to watch, but they can definitely be immersion-killers.

Sorral

I do agree that those are all important aspects regarding immersion, however it is simple to understand how CG can disrupt immersion for some. It's not about tricking ourselves into thinking we're not playing a game - it's often the disconnect between two. Quite often CG will contain much more advanced lighting effects and animations, completely altering the atmosphere when the game decides to switch back and forth.

They can be fun to watch, but they can definitely be immersion-killers.

I guess for some, sure. But not for me. They didn't break my immersion in all the FF games (or past GoW games) they showed them. In fact, I felt more immersed in the game because they showed the developers' vision more clearly than the graphics could handle.

Nowadays, current consoles are capable of being closer to the developers vision of a game without the need to relay on CG. I see a bit of an argument here, but still not a deal breaker people seem to make it out to be.

On changing GoW's mythology: They did include some Norse mythology TV show in the GoW:A demo. It could be a simple slapped on advertisement, but it could be an indicator of things to come...who knows for sure though.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
My biggest gripe with CG/prerendered cutscenes is when it features the playable character in a game that has alternate costumes, as they always revert to normal for these which clashes pretty badly.

Actually, what is the word on costumes in Ascension? 3 was a pretty big disappointment in that regard, making most of them pre-order bonuses thus spreading it all around. The costumes themselves were pretty boring as well. For Ascension it seems all MP focused, but it would be great if they had a wealth of costumes again.

kuroshiki

Most likely not going to happen because it is just so damn hard to pronounce their name. =P

Damn how the hell are some of you already playing it?

Tuesday is too far away. Also have to deal with the fact that HOTS comes out on the same day. :(

dzelly

I'm genuinely hyped for this coming Tuesday. The only thing I'm not excited for is the multiplayer, I know some are, but I tried the beta and was unimpressed.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Is that real time? Interactive?

At first glance I assumed it was a scene where you push forward on the stick and it's basically a playable cutscene, but maybe it's a cinematic. Definitely looks real-time, in any case.

My biggest gripe with CG/prerendered cutscenes is when it features the playable character in a game that has alternate costumes, as they always revert to normal for these which clashes pretty badly.

Actually, what is the word on costumes in Ascension? 3 was a pretty big disappointment in that regard, making most of them pre-order bonuses thus spreading it all around. The costumes themselves were pretty boring as well. For Ascension it seems all MP focused, but it would be great if they had a wealth of costumes again.

There are so many costumes modeled and working with Kratos' rig for multiplayer, I would be really happy if I could wear my mythological heroes armor in the single player game. Or maybe I wouldn't actually give a shit, but come on, it's a cool feature that could be implemented fairly easily (not that I know wtf I'm talking about).

LastNac

At first glance I assumed it was a scene where you push forward on the stick and it's basically a playable cutscene, but maybe it's a cinematic. Definitely looks real-time, in any case.
Playable cutscene sure does sound like a contradiction...
Anyhow developer controlled camera always does produce cinematic camera angle opportunities.

Top Bottom