• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

ToddPapy

Sony Santa Monica
All the past games had quite a bit of bite on Titan mode as well. Some of my most memorable/rage-filled gaming experiences.

Oh, another question: Someone linked to an article stating that New Game+ would have some "changes" in it. Did they mean changes to the enemy encounters, or were they just referring to the bonuses you can switch on and off with the crystal things you find?

That was something I was pushing for (different AI fights on 2nd play through) but we just didn't have enough time.

Hey Todd. In regards to our parody videos - is there any like pre-chosen clips we could use that is available in high quality? I know sites like Gamersyde will eventually have some high quality direct feed, but could be some time before that happens.

ToddPapy

Sony Santa Monica
I wouldn't feel too bad about it. 80 Is still a great score. You had to overcome a lot in terms of stigma even before the reviewers played the game. It's tough after so many sequels.

Quick question, about how many bosses are in the game? It's why I come to the series, I absolutely love God of War boss fights.

I don't want to reveal that just yet. I know some people just help themselves even with the spoiler tag (and I don't know how to use the damn thing). I know it will be revealed soon enough, but I don't want to be the one to do it.

ToddPapy

Sony Santa Monica
Hey Todd. In regards to our parody videos - is there any like pre-chosen clips we could use that is available in high quality? I know sites like Gamersyde will eventually have some high quality direct feed, but could be some time before that happens.

Nope, surprise us...we loved your rage video edit!!!

Mik_Pad

Banned
The reviews are not as high as I hoped, but I'm EXTREMELY proud of what we accomplished. If you read the reviews they say it plays like a God of War game...good that is what we were aiming for ;). The way I look at it, it comes down to the fans, if they like it then we did our job. Look COD, got 83 on metacritic but sold 20+ million, or Psychonauts critics loved it but the average gamer not so much.

Each area of the game has its own challenges. Certain SP levels are very complecated to create/design (Example - Hecaton. The opening level). Getting in and reworking Kratos/combat was a big challenge. The way we work everything really comes together late in the project. With MP, building the tech and design"formula" of how the game works/plays took ALONG time. We put people on it that were able to power through those challenges. I understand that some people look at the MP and discount it, but I believe there is a ton of great content there. Most importantly it feels like GOW, and plays different than everything out there ;)

Just wanted to say I love the series and I support the new direction of the series, I played alot during the MP beta and I really liked it specially the more tactical feel since you aren't playing against computer AI.

You and all SSM should be proud of your work, can't wait for my copy to arrive. :D

Vire

I don't want to reveal that just yet. I know some people just help themselves even with the spoiler tag (and I don't know how to use the damn thing). I know it will be revealed soon enough, but I don't want to be the one to do it.

Dah, can't blame a guy for trying.

Looking forward to it.

Salz01

Been mostly in GoW SP blackout. Read the reviews, Tuesday can't come soon enough. Getting excited. Love the franchise.

Sorral

Does anyone know if there is any region lock? Or it will be open like the rest of Sony's first party games?

Sorry to ask again so soon, but any idea anyone? I will be playing with friends in the PAL region, so... ._.
Edit: I am talking about the multiplayer. I apologize if that wasn't obvious.

Alright, I guess I'll have to wait until I can capture footage of the game myself, or something.

Curious of what you guys have made in the past and it sounds good. Any links?

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I love God Of War, but I am honestly surprised by the metascore
I am not going to bothered reading the reviews since I played the demo and I liked what I saw

Unfortunately I will rent it since its a prequel and I'm not expecting much from the story, dont really care for the MP

Still excited to play it

Curious of what you guys have made in the past and it sounds good. Any links?

If you look at the OT, under media, the RAGE trailer was something I put together.

Also made that "Through The Years With PS3" video. Link

From there, feel free to check out the videos I've posted.

BadAss2961

[spoiler*]text here for when you might want to use it[/spoiler]

Without the *

I love God Of War, but I am honestly surprised by the metascore. I am not going to bothered reading the reviews since I played the demo and I liked what I saw

I think God of War games always have the same issue, and it's that they're all more or less the same in the gameplay department. Which isn't a bad thing, but it's going to bore you to tears if you try to play them all immediately one after the other.

Anyway, I finished paying off my CE today, and I haven't touched a GoW game in months (aside from the Ascension demo). So I'm all set for Tuesday.

Sorral

If you look at the OT, under media, the RAGE trailer was something I put together.

Also made that "Through The Years With PS3" video. Link

From there, feel free to check out the videos I've posted.

Ooooh, I will check it out now! I'll be honest in that I just saw 'rage trailer' without reading the rest of the line and was like "will check them later" when I saw a bunch of videos right after.
Watching Through The Years With PS3 right now. Thanks!

Edit: That Rage trailer is so well done. Going to Send it to my friend. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. :)

The reviews are not as high as I hoped, but I'm EXTREMELY proud of what we accomplished. If you read the reviews they say it plays like a God of War game...good that is what we were aiming for ;). The way I look at it, it comes down to the fans, if they like it then we did our job. Look COD, got 83 on metacritic but sold 20+ million, or Psychonauts critics loved it but the average gamer not so much.

Each area of the game has its own challenges. Certain SP levels are very complecated to create/design (Example - Hecaton. The opening level). Getting in and reworking Kratos/combat was a big challenge. The way we work everything really comes together late in the project. With MP, building the tech and design"formula" of how the game works/plays took ALONG time. We put people on it that were able to power through those challenges. I understand that some people look at the MP and discount it, but I believe there is a ton of great content there. Most importantly it feels like GOW, and plays different than everything out there ;)

From most of the reviews i read/viewed, there were alot of comparison draw between Ascension and the other previous GOW entries. It is almost as if they are scoring the game on a GOW scale and not reviewing it as an individual game. Ascension does have disadvantages from the start, simply because its a prequel. We all know how the story ends, (or is there more to it???? never say never...) and this game certainly recycled many game play formulas (epic boss battle at the beginning, sex mini games, obtain weapons from defeated bosses...) from the GOW universe.

i believe medias didnt score the game higher because they are always looking for the next great thing in games, hard to sell them on same old stuff (people are hard to please these days, kratos should of gotten a face lift and boob job like the new lara craft lol) but then again, like you said, the team is trying to make another GOW game and to be play like an another GOW game. and as a fan, I am perfectly okay with more of the same.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Too bad the demo won't be available until May (yes, that includes early access)
xoG7y.gif

Fuck you NaughtyDog... ;(

demolitio

Don't be making fun of me and my compulsive need to highlight shit like it's some redacted Top Secret information... :D

Anyway, I can't wait for Tuesday and know that your GoW fans are eternally grateful even if some reviewers said some stupid shit that was hypocritical in many ways. I think the MP was a really good idea as well as it's going to extend the game for me quite a bit.

Can I ask which god is your favorite in MP and why?

But thanks again for being such a huge part of one of my favorite franchises ever (SOCOM was #1 but I suspect that its days are over...lol) and actually getting me into the genre when I had no interest in it before. I don't to say that often so I figured I would here. My love for mythology and creative stories in historical settings made me give GoW a chance and I'm glad I did. It just feels so right as well since it's a great outlet to let out my own rage over medical bullshit so I pop in a GoW game when I need to let out some steam and even put up my GoW 3 poster since I feel like Kratos some days. Well, to be clear, I didn't kill my family nor do I plan on taking on any gods anytime soon, so I'll just clear that right up. :p

Imagine if the last stage of horde mode was just Kratos. How amazing would that be on the other side of his Blades? And there would't need to be any particular change to his characteristics, he is powerful as fuck after all :p

Picture battling through 6 stages of skeletons, minotaurs, gorgons, centaurs, cyclops' and satyrs. Then you get to the last stage, your palms are sweating and you're wondering what else they could possibly throw at you. Then the gate opens, and its just Kratos staring at you, snarling like a psycopath. I'd lose my shit.

I've been watching some video reviews and the game looks great to me. Not even thinking about cancelling my preorder. But it is disappointing to see one of your favourite developers and franchises stumble for the first time, in the eyes of the critics at least. I hope it stays above 80 on Meta.

omonimo

Banned
Seen GT reviews. Jeez, it's only to me or the graphic seems worse of the third? :\ What a disappointment. Enemies are quite weird, scenario totaly uninspired. I don't like what I seen, now I understand the low metacritic. I hope gametrailers has just captured some bad sequence.

elbourreau

Seen GT reviews. Jeez, it's only to me or the graphic seems worse of the third? :\ What a disappointment. Enemies are quite weird, scenario totaly uninspired. I don't like what I seen, now I understand the low metacritic. I hope gametrailers has just captured some bad sequence.

Gametrailers capture is shit. Wait to see it from the console for judging.

But have you played the game to say it's a disapointment? Lucky you!

Sorral

Can I ask which god is your favorite in MP and why?

Here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=49506897&postcount=258

Did you check the trailers in the OT including the Rage trailer? Or maybe try the demo to check the graphics?
I haven't checked the GT review, but I don't think I will ever need to. Reviews been crappy in general for years now. Very few actually do their job for real nowadays.

omonimo

Banned
Gametrailers capture is shit. Wait to see it from the console for judging.

But have you played the game to say it's a disapointment? Lucky you!

I have just seen also ign previews. Talking of the graphic, it's a huge disappointment. The use of the colours, horrible, what the hell is all that 'phosphorescence'? Really? & the texture, come on, GOW 3 use 1024 MB texture, some ground there is not even 512 MB to my eyes, I'm unable to capture but watch the ground there at 04:00: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/03/07/god-of-war-ascension-review-in-progress The hell is that shit? Really? What have you done Santa Monica? Where is finished the splendid art & the graphic of the third? It's not even comparable to this shit.

If you want to compare graphics with a GT review, watch the previous games GT review...their capture quality is pretty poor.

Textures are definitely better though, don't know how you can acert otherwise...

omonimo

Banned
If you want to compare graphics with a GT review, watch the previous games GT review...their capture quality is pretty poor

I hope you are right. By the way, I continue to think the use of the colours it's terrible. Bloomish, saturated like the hell, greenish, there is something wrong in this prequel, GOW 3 use natural colours, what I seen there it's weird & ugly.

Textures are definitely better though, don't know how you can acert otherwise...

Can you capture the 04.00 minute in the video of ign? What I seen there it's not matter of bad video quality, I don't remember something like that in GOW 3.

I hope you are right. By the way, I continue to think the use of the colours it's terrible. Bloom, saturated like the hell, greenish, there is something wrong in this prequel.

I think it is a flush...for instance, GoW3 had quite a few drab sections, the labrynth for instance was a stale and drab environment to me. Yeah, I think the texture in that IGN vid is poor, not sure why though since most of the texturing seems of very high quality.

Sorry man, not got the final game yet, could get back to you next week though haha, but I am sure you will probably have the game as well.

omonimo

Banned
I think it is a flush...for instance, GoW3 had quite a few drab sections, the labrynth for instance was a stale and drab environment to me

Sorry man, not got the final game yet, could get back to you next week though haha, but I am sure you will probably have the game as well.
Yeah, I remember, but just in some part & it's work fine. But in Ascension the use it's really terrible.

Sorral

I hope you are right. By the way, I continue to think the use of the colours it's terrible. Bloom, saturated like the hell, greenish, there is something wrong in this prequel.

Can you capture the 04.00 minute in the video of ign? What I seen there it's not matter of bad video quality, I don't remember something like that in GOW 3.

The review video? The quality of the video is very poor. I can't see Kratos's skin or that corpse's skin either not just the ground.

Compare the pictures/textures in the OT and you will see how poor the video is.

Bebpo

Banned

Any chance you guys will patch that final section that everyone is complaining about? I've finished all the GoW games on normal with no problems, but I'm worried about that section and that you can't lower the difficulty midgame so if you get stuck there you have to replay the entire game from scratch on an easier difficulty.

Honestly it makes me, as a fan whose bought and played every entry in the series (including the handheld ones), not want to buy the game. Every other complaint in the reviews doesn't turn me off as a fan of the series. Sounds like more of the same goodness I enjoy from the franchise. But I hate difficulty spikes and almost every single review of Ascension mentions that final area as being insanely difficult and frustrating. That doesn't sound fun at all. The spiked blade walls in GoW1 were annoying enough.

Can you at least patch in the ability to lower the difficulty mid-game?

omonimo

Banned
The review video? The quality of the video is very poor. I can't see Kratos's skin or that corpse's skin either not just the ground.

Compare the pictures/textures in the OT and you will see how poor the video is.

Immagine.png

It's matter of bad quality video? I'm asking, because I'm not that sure. Don't remember those terrible grounds in GOW3 but I could have a bad memory.
Another thing: why the characters have so huge hands? Characters are not realistic in GOW, ok, but I don't remember hand so disproportionate.

wotta

Can't post our review here (Shop To Dot Net) but I'd just like to add that this game has some of the most stunning graphics of this generation. It's brilliant and brutal and the multiplayer is a fantastic addition.

Great job as always Sony Santa Monica, can't wait to see what these guys can do with PS4. An incredibly talented studio which deserves a load more credit and sales than it's games usual manage.

Drencrom

Pre-ordered, looking forward to get blown away

Any chance you guys will patch that final section that everyone is complaining about? I've finished all the GoW games on normal with no problems, but I'm worried about that section and that you can't lower the difficulty midgame so if you get stuck there you have to replay the entire game from scratch on an easier difficulty.

Doesn't the GoW games gives you the option to lower the difficulty if you're dying a lot on the same spot?

Is this the first OT where the actual Game Director is actively participating?

Maybe, at least in a high-profile game like GoW

wotta

Honestly it makes me, as a fan whose bought and played every entry in the series (including the handheld ones), not want to buy the game. Every other complaint in the reviews doesn't turn me off as a fan of the series. Sounds like more of the same goodness I enjoy from the franchise. But I hate difficulty spikes and almost every single review of Ascension mentions that final area as being insanely difficult and frustrating. That doesn't sound fun at all. The spiked blade walls in GoW1 were annoying enough.

Can you at least patch in the ability to lower the difficulty mid-game?

I didn't think the last level was difficult and frustrating, I really enjoyed it, not sure what those other critics are talking about?

Santar

Got my copy of the game early (europe) and it seems the online pass code is not working, any chance this is because the game isn't out yet?

elbourreau

Immagine.png

It's matter of bad quality video? I'm asking, because I'm not that sure. Don't remember those terrible grounds in GOW3 but I could have a bad memory.

Look at how Kratos looks................................................................... It seems like the ghost of sparta HD render!! LOL

Come on guys, let's be serious!

Top Bottom