• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Kratos Statue, $499,99, limited to 500 pieces

Amazing statue of a loathsome character. The statue I'd really want though was this Bloodborne one I saw online a while back. That shit was spectacular.

Veelk

Banned
I try not to criticize fans for liking something, even if I find the product deplorable.

But I just writhe at the idea that someone would actually like Kratos' character enough to buy this.

And this pretty much confirms to me that GoW4 will feature Kratos. There's no way they'd market something like this without the intent to maintain his mainstream presence.

This or Gaming Heads?

pro_big.jpg

pro_big.jpg

I try not to criticize fans for liking something, even if I find the product deplorable.

But I just writhe at the idea that someone would actually like Kratos' character enough to buy this.

And this pretty much confirms to me that GoW4 will feature Kratos. There's no way they'd market something like this without the intent to maintain his mainstream presence.

Hahaha then you're talking about guys like me :)
I absolutely love GoW and Kratos since I first slipped GoW 1 into my PS2.

I'd buy this statue as well if I wasn't a broke ass fool.

I'm happy it looks like Kratos will be back for GoW 4, only got a few more days to be totally certain.

Blues1990

I liked Kratos well enough in the original God of War, as he was written & designed in mind to be a tragic hero from Greek literature. The original God of War did a great job (especially better than any of it's sequels) of carefully weaving tragedy & epic into a tale about how Kratos, who killed his family due to Ares’ deception, & he seeks to murder the God of War and find freedom from the past that haunts him.

The problem, is that he was robbed of his redemption & was thrust into Godhood,
he then no longer exists as a sympathetic character. So he decides to damn them all through the only tools the Greek mythic cycle has given him: sheer, unapologetic savagery.

Occam

I enjoy the God of War games, but Kratos is an incredibly unlikable character. I don't understand why anyone would want to put him on their shelf and look at him daily.

I think the angry shtick has run its course. Surely I'm not the only one who would like another God of War game, but with a different protagonist.

Veelk

Banned
I liked Kratos well enough in the original God of War, as he was written & designed in mind to be a tragic hero from Greek literature. The original God of War did a great job (especially better than any of it's sequels) of carefully weaving tragedy & epic into a tale about how Kratos, who killed his family due to Ares’ deception, & he seeks to murder the God of War and find freedom from the past that haunts him.

The problem, is that he was robbed of his redemption & was thrust into Godhood,
he then no longer exists as a sympathetic character. So he decides to damn them all through the only tools the Greek mythic cycle has given him: sheer, unapologetic savagery.

I still don't buy that argument. Kratos at the end got ascended into Godhood. In Greek Mythology, when a character is rewarded for an action that he ought to be punished for, it's a comedy, not a tragedy. True, Kratos didn't get what he asked for, but I don't buy for a second that he'd stay that broken up about it when he got fucking godhood as a reward, given his personality, and especially if we're only counting GoW1 where the only insight we get into his wife is how a flashback of her saying how much pain he is causing her.

There's also the fact that the nature of Greek Morality has it that Ares actually didn't do anything wrong. What he did wasn't nice, but Kratos never signed a contract that placed his wife under protection. "Kill my enemies, and my life is yours" was the deal. Ares was perfectly within his rights by Greek Law to slaughter his wife. So the story of Kratos isn't a redemption story by Greek Standards, it's a story of a man willfully backing out on a pact he made with the Gods. Kratos was in the wrong here, believe it or not. The slaughter of women isn't considered wrong by neither Ares nor Kratos (given how they are happy pillaging and burning for the sake of pillaging and burning) and Ares OWNS him, and he does so because Kratos sold himself to him. So if Ares decided he wanted Kratos' wife dead, the guy could have run her through a sword himself, with Kratos watching, and Kratos would have been morally obligated to just sit there and watch. By Greek morality, the Gods are beyond reproach.

AND there's also the fact that Kratos didn't seek redemption, despite what the story said. He seeks amnesty. He killed his wife and kid, and now he's haunted by bad dreams. Consider the fact that he has the Gods in the corner. They NEED him to kill Ares, and he's the only one who can do it. Does he ask for his wife and kid to be brought back from Hades? Does he ask for some form of forgiveness? No, he specifically asks for the gods to magic away the psychological turmoil he is experiencing. He's not asking to repair the damage he caused in any way, he's asking to be relieved from the pain he is personally suffering. His crime was doing damage to others through blind recklessness. Redemption in this case would be trying to repair the damage he did to others in some way. What he's actually doing is just trying to repair the damage he's done to himself, but he's avoiding actually working to make up for it.

So, no. Kratos sucked. He's always sucked. Even in GoW1. Even by Greek standards, he's being a stupid asshole and he somehow ends up being rewarded for it. To the Greeks, this would have been morally absurd, like watching a movie about Hitler only to find out he goes to heaven at the end.

Hahaha then you're talking about guys like me :)
I absolutely love GoW and Kratos since I first slipped GoW 1 into my PS2.

I'd buy this statue as well if I wasn't a broke ass fool.

I'm happy it looks like Kratos will be back for GoW 4, only got a few more days to be totally certain.

*sigh*, like I said, I avoid badmouthing the fans of anything. You like what you like. But it's like seeing someone gorge themselves on instant ramen and nothing else. There's more nutritious characters, even like Kratos, that are so, so much better.

*sigh*, like I said, I avoid badmouthing the fans of anything. You like what you like. But it's like seeing someone gorge themselves on instant ramen and nothing else. There's more nutritious characters, even like Kratos, that are so, so much better.

If SSM bring Kratos back I'm sure they could add a lot more to Kratos character development and take him beyond Greek tragic hero and angry killing machine.

I enjoyed the paths they took him with the GoW PSP spin offs with his brother and daughter.

That was some nice insight into his more humane side. But yeah hope he comes back either way lol

Quonny

No maker = lol.

There's a reason people buy statues and figures from certain makers, because QC on this stuff is extremely important. Dropping five hundred bones on something that might be total shit when you get it is ridiculous.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I still don't buy that argument. Kratos at the end got ascended into Godhood. In Greek Mythology, when a character is rewarded for an action that he ought to be punished for, it's a comedy, not a tragedy. True, Kratos didn't get what he asked for, but I don't buy for a second that he'd stay that broken up about it when he got fucking godhood as a reward, given his personality, and especially if we're only counting GoW1 where the only insight we get into his wife is how a flashback of her saying how much pain he is causing her.

There's also the fact that the nature of Greek Morality has it that Ares actually didn't do anything wrong. What he did wasn't nice, but Kratos never signed a contract that placed his wife under protection. "Kill my enemies, and my life is yours" was the deal. Ares was perfectly within his rights by Greek Law to slaughter his wife. So the story of Kratos isn't a redemption story by Greek Standards, it's a story of a man willfully backing out on a pact he made with the Gods. Kratos was in the wrong here, believe it or not. The slaughter of women isn't considered wrong by neither Ares nor Kratos (given how they are happy pillaging and burning for the sake of pillaging and burning) and Ares OWNS him, and he does so because Kratos sold himself to him. So if Ares decided he wanted Kratos' wife dead, the guy could have run her through a sword himself, with Kratos watching, and Kratos would have been morally obligated to just sit there and watch. By Greek morality, the Gods are beyond reproach.

AND there's also the fact that Kratos didn't seek redemption, despite what the story said. He seeks amnesty. He killed his wife and kid, and now he's haunted by bad dreams. Consider the fact that he has the Gods in the corner. They NEED him to kill Ares, and he's the only one who can do it. Does he ask for his wife and kid to be brought back from Hades? Does he ask for some form of forgiveness? No, he specifically asks for the gods to magic away the psychological turmoil he is experiencing. He's not asking to repair the damage he caused in any way, he's asking to be relieved from the pain he is personally suffering. His crime was doing damage to others through blind recklessness. Redemption in this case would be trying to repair the damage he did to others in some way. What he's actually doing is just trying to repair the damage he's done to himself, but he's avoiding actually working to make up for it.

So, no. Kratos sucked. He's always sucked. Even in GoW1. Even by Greek standards, he's being a stupid asshole and he somehow ends up being rewarded for it. To the Greeks, this would have been morally absurd, like watching a movie about Hitler only to find out he goes to heaven at the end.

Considering that you find the product 'deplorable', why are you wasting your time writing so much about it, if I may ask? You did the same in Ascension's OT back then. I don't find the Souls games that interesting, or to my liking, but you don't see me talking about how I don't want to badmouth the fans of the series.

Veelk

Banned
If SSM bring Kratos back I'm sure they could add a lot more to Kratos character development and take him beyond Greek tragic hero and angry killing machine.

I enjoyed the paths they took him with the GoW PSP spin offs with his brother and daughter.

That was some nice insight into his more humane side. But yeah hope he comes back either way lol

Videogames have a bad habit of trying to expand a narrative past it's shelflife. I feel they did this with Halo most recently and I wish they didn't, because I love halo very much.

As many others have already expressed, I agree with the notion that whatever the quality of Kratos' narrative arc, it's been completed and it'd be a far more worthy endeavour to try to tackle a new character with similar themes via new mythology. You can replicate the essence of Kratos without the baggage attached to him. Anything that made Kratos notable can be incorporated into someone new, and done better than what was done before.

Dragging him from the grave yet again to give him another pointless godkilling quest is not honoring his memory as far as I'm concerned. It's whoring him out.

Considering that you find the product 'deplorable', why are you wasting your time writing so much about it, if I may ask? You did the same in Ascension's OT back then. I don't find the Souls games that interesting, or to my liking, but you don't see me talking about how I don't want to badmouth the fans of the series.

I barely remember posting in ascensions OT. What did I say?

Anyway, for good or bad, I have personal history with God of War and it's living proof that indifference is the opposite of love, not hatred. I have a lot of passion for the action game genre and storytelling in games. Because of that, that passion turns negative when it comes into contact with games like GoW, but passion is still a desire and energy to engage with something.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Videogames have a bad habit of trying to expand a narrative past it's shelflife. I feel they did this with Halo most recently.

As many others have already expressed, I agree with the notion that whatever the quality of Kratos' narrative arc, it's been completed and it'd be a far more worthy endeavour to try to tackle a new character with similar themes via new mythology. You can replicate the essence of Kratos without the baggage attached to him. Anything that made Kratos notable can be incorporated into someone new, and done better than what was done before.

Dragging him from the grave yet again to give him another pointless godkilling quest is not honoring his memory as far as I'm concerned. It's just whoring him out.

Not sure if you sat through the ending to God of War 3, but the post-credits scene pretty much left his fate open. His body was missing for a reason. Who knows what's up with that. that arc can be tackled in several ways too.

Videogames have a bad habit of trying to expand a narrative past it's shelflife. I feel they did this with Halo most recently and I wish they didn't, because I love halo very much.

Dragging him from the grave yet again to give him another pointless godkilling quest is not honoring his memory as far as I'm concerned. It's just whoring him out.

Not sure if you sat through the ending to God of War 3, but the post-credits scene pretty much left his fate open. His body was missing for a reason. Who knows what's up with that. that arc can be tackled in several ways too.

Yeah his body was dragged off by someone/something at the end of 3. Clearly leaving room for a sequel.

I'm sure the talented devs at SSM can keep GoW and Kratos fresh with a new setting for example.

Oh man if this game doesn't show up at PSX I'm gonna be so disappointed!

Veelk

Banned

I did, and the logic is not the issue. His story is finished in the sense of a narrative arc. If the problem was just logic, then there isn't any amount of finality that would make it impossible for him to be brought back. He could have been cut to pieces, burned, and eaten by dozens of various animals, who then were eaten by other animals that traveled to all different corners of the earth and each of them was died from being next to a nuclear warhead that exploded. And the next scene could just be "Well, the magic goddess of wiztlefackle brought Kratos back, so here he is." That's the thing about fiction, it allows you to do anything. But writers have to know when to use that power and when not to.

The point is that his narrative arc is told. There isn't anything left to explore. They'd just have to artificially create a new drama because some other guy just did something and it all feels very contrived and unnatural and it's clear that Kratos is only really there for the brand recognition. So he's not there to tell a story, he's here to be prostituted.

Corpsepyre

Banned
I did, and the logic is not the issue. His story is finished in the sense of a narrative arc. If the problem was just logic, then there isn't any amount of finality that would make it impossible for him to be brought back. He could have been cut to pieces, burned, and eaten by dozens of various animals, who then were eaten by other animals that traveled to all different corners of the earth and each of them was died from being next to a nuclear warhead that exploded. And the next scene could just be "Well, the magic goddess of wiztlefackle brought Kratos back, so here he is." That's the thing about fiction, it allows you to do anything. But writers have to know when to use that power and when not to.

Just curious, but what are some examples of action games with good storytelling that you would quote to someone?

Veelk

Banned
Just curious, but what are some examples of action games with good storytelling that you would quote to someone?

Only DMC3. Action games are not known for their good storytelling. I can tell you parts of various action games that are intriguing, such as Bayonetta's demonology/angelogy and conceptual design, but Bayonetta fails to bring it together in a coherent narrative.

DMC3 is the sole exception. Good character development, tension, narrative pacing, and very good psychological intrigue into the character. You'll have a hell of a time analyzing the motivations of Dante and Vergil based on their dialogue, and the thematic irony of what their desires are and what they end up as. BTW, if you want a real tragedy, look at Vergil in that game. He's a classic Sisyphus, trying so hard to be Sparda, getting further and further away as he does.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Only DMC3. Action games are not known for their good storytelling. I can tell you parts of various action games that are intriguing, such as Bayonetta's demonology/angelogy and conceptual design, but Bayonetta fails to bring it together in a coherent narrative.

DMC3 is the sole exception. Good character development, tension, narrative pacing, and very good psychological intrigue into the character. You'll have a hell of a time analyzing the motivations of Dante and Vergil based on their dialogue, and the thematic irony of what their desires are and what they end up as. BTW, if you want a real tragedy, look at Vergil in that game. He's a classic Sisyphus, trying so hard to be Sparda, getting further and further away as he does.

Fuck, man. I need to play that game again. This has been very enlightening.

Shahed

Damn. This just gives me the impression that Kratos will be in the next God of War game. as much as I liked the previous games (even if they got stale towards the end), I'm done with Kratos and Greek mythology. It's time to move on

CHC

Didn't know people liked the character THAT much. He always seemed like kind of a "forced icon" to me, a character that was created with the expectation that people would like him much more than they did in reality.

Didn't know people liked the character THAT much. He always seemed like kind of a "forced icon" to me, a character that was created with the expectation that people would like him much more than they did in reality.

Haha nah 99% of Gaf hates him.

I've only ever seen myself and one other poster say the like Kratos lol.
Oh and a few people irl I've spoken too don't mind him either.

That's why it'll be fascinating to see whether we got more Kratos or a brand new character.

I can't imagine having the kind of passion for Kratos to justify money and shelf space on something like this.

The statue itself seems nice though.
He's one of the most iconic characters for PS and you can't imagine it? Err ok.

At this point, I'm going to be really disappointed if a God of War 4 teaser doesn't drop. There have been far too many nudges towards it being shown in a few days. Let it be Norse mythology and let it have a new protagonist. Maybe if we're lucky, we'll get a trailer instead of a CGI trailer.

RootCause

Haha nah 99% of Gaf hates him.

I've only ever seen myself and one other poster say the like Kratos lol.
Oh and a few people irl I've spoken too don't mind him either.

That's why it'll be fascinating to see whether we got more Kratos or a brand new character.

I'm not a fan of Kratos, but it always amuses me when I see people bring up that he's an evil murderer, while conveniently ignoring the likes of Lara Croft, and Drake. I guess, people are okay with loveable murderers. :3

Kratos is extremely popular outside of this forum. If anything GoW3 made him even more popular due to the level of hyper violence that he exhibits during boss fights. Just go read Youtube comments on videos for those fights (they all tend to have several million views).

NIGHT-

I agree, he's just not a very enjoyable character, I hope he's not in the next game, the series has become extremely stale and repetitive. It needs a refresh

I'm not a fan of Kratos, but it always amuses me when I see people bring up that he's an evil murderer, while conveniently ignoring the likes of Lara Croft, and Drake. I guess, people are okay with loveable murderers. :3

Kratos is slicing fools while bellowing and snarling vs Drake making funny quips as he headshots a goon.
One is more palatable for Gaf than the other; you can guess which one.

Kratos is extremely popular outside of this forum. If anything GoW3 made him even more popular due to the level of hyper violence that he exhibits during boss fights. Just go read Youtube comments on videos for those fights (they all tend to have several million views).

I too have always thought Kratos, especially for Playstation, is popular outside Gaf and enthusiast press but have absolutely no hard data to back that up :p

Be interesting to see how various PS characters rank in terms of recognition to the mainstream.

iNvid02

Well it's $500 for a statue, no game or other items included, it better be pretty damn good quality

yeah thats what i mean, putting them side by side would give people an idea of a) how crappy the mass produced "collectors" edition stuff really is, and b) the price range for something of good quality

bonus:

Max_Po

Banned
okay , this is one of the best statues I have seen ... compared to the kiddy crap they include with the "Limited" editions these days.

Now ... da price though.......

Seriouz HarzCore!

Top Bottom