• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War won't have multiplayer, won't be Kratos' final game

Loudninja

We have seen an extremely thin slice of the game. It's still within the realm of possibility that his son actually dies in the introduction and Kratos goes full rage mode on everything.

Besides that, I would still rather have a new character entirely.

Easier distinction between the two.

They already said he will tag alone the whole game.

I'm not convinced a AAA single player only title will be financially viable in 5 years time, especially when considering that we will be in a new gen at that point.

I'd advise people to not get too worked up about a sequel. This game is at the very least 18 months away.

I get the sense we'll need a GAF emotional support group for when Kratos is unveiled as the star of God of War 2.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAbHAAAAJDk4MDk0OGRhLWE5ODYtNDkxZS1iYmQzLTRiNjNiNWJjODdjYw.jpg

AmuroChan

We have seen an extremely thin slice of the game. It's still within the realm of possibility that his son actually dies in the introduction and Kratos goes full rage mode on everything.

Didn't Barlog confirm that the son is with you the entire game? Also, he said the theme of the game is Kratos teaching his son how to be a god and his son teaching Kratos how to be human. I don't see how that gets accomplished if his son dies right in the beginning.

Besides that, I would still rather have a new character entirely.
They've literally confirmed that his son will be a part of the game , what are you talking about?

TRios Zen

The closer this character is to the Kratos from the original series, the less likely I am to pay full price for this.

I'll keep an eye on it regardless.

Courage

I assume it's gonna take a couple games to pass the mantle to his son. Let's not forget Kratos is God of War, in a figurative and literal sense, so brand awareness plays a role.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol he is so dying in this game. Barlog is just trying to throw us off like Druckmann did with Uncharted 4.

It's depressing that we're still at least a year out from this game being out and we're already talking franchise, again, and basically saying "we're not actually going to do something super interesting and refreshing in this game". Unless this is a red herring but why not just say "it's way too early to talk about future plans"

Ivan 3414

Did you not hear the reaction he got at e3. He is one of the most popular game characters period regardless of what is talked about on gaf

He got a reaction because they recognized that the game was God of War. They could easily have gotten rid of him for the new one.

Why the fuck won't they get rid of Kratos. He's the most obnoxious part of his game.

Because people love Kratos and the direction they're taking his character in. The God of War trailer is the most/second most watched E3 trailer for a reason. They're making people care about Kratos — something many thought would be impossible.

DrArchon

Prior to this year's E3 if you told me that the next God of War wouldn't be Kratos' last game I'd have said "Fuck everything." But now that Kratos appears to have some sort of character motivation that isn't "Grrr I hate everyone! I'm so mad!" I'm now actually fine with more Kratos because he might actually be a good character now.

RPGCrazied

Ugh and here I was hoping he would send off to the child and be grown up for the next game. I was hoping he would die in dramatic fashion. Plus in this game he looks 70 years old.

Let him go already.

I wonder if they would do something like Metal Gear Solid 2 in God of War hum... 2? You play as Kratos's son while Kratos does his separate thing in the story.

Anyway I really don't care about what's going to happen in a sequel, I'm dying to see what's this new GoW is going to be like.

sense

remember when people hated kratos and were hoping he was not in the new one? I would even go as far as saying he is bigger than nathan drake for playstation so yes he is not going anywhere. he also got the loudest cheer at the e3 conference.

Hoje0308

Banned
He got a reaction because they recognized that the game was God of War. They could easily have gotten rid of him for the new one.

Any idiot paying attention could have told you we were watching a God of War demo. The reaction was clearly for Kratos.

MaxHouse

Banned
remember when people hated kratos and were hoping he was not in the new one? I would even go as far as saying he is bigger than nathan drake for playstation so yes he is not going anywhere. he also got the loudest cheer at the e3 conference.
No one hates Kratos besides a vocal minority on gaf as evident by e3 he is one of the most cherished game characters

Bulzeeb

I haven't been following this game since I don't really care that much for the GoW franchise but is this the same Kratos or is a reboot/alternate universe thing?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm happy Sony is embracing SP-only games. Not every single game on Earth needs multiplayer.

Thank god. Sony is killing it with all their SP games.

Also good to see AAA-games can be SP only again. Last gen it seemed everything needed tacked on multiplayer, even games like Bioshock.
Most mid-sized teams (200 or less developers) making major titles this generation tend to focus on either singleplayer or multiplayer, at least when they first start a new series or reboot an old one.

For mega developers, doing both on the first go is not uncommon, but that's a lot easier when you have 400 people to do everything instead of half that count or less.

Just looking at Sony's published line-up this generation:

Singleplayer Only:
- Horizon: Zero Dawn
- God of War
- Infamous: Second Son
- Days Gone
- Ratchet & Clank
- The Order: 1886
- Until Dawn
- The Last Guardian (I'm assuming)

Multiplayer Only:
- Kill Strain

Both:
- Uncharted 4
- Killzone: Shadow Fall
- Bloodborne
- Gravity Rush 2 (asynchronous)
- MLB: The Show
- Knack
- Driveclub
- LittleBigPlanet 3
- Gran Turismo Sport
- Rigs (unclear how extensive)

Unclear:
- Detroit (this obviously won't be traditional multiplayer if it exists)
- Spider-Man

You will notice that the games with one or the other tend to be new IPs or heavy reboots.

We see this among third parties as well with CD Projekt intending to add multiplayer to Cyberpunk while Titanfall 2 is adding a campaign and Battlefront is heavily hinted to do so as well.

I feel like people were saying this a lot near the tail end of last generation.

And for the large part, they have mostly been right. Only the biggest of biggest franchises have have managed to be a success while being single player only.

The only real exceptions have been Witcher 3 and Shadow of mordor.

A God of War without Kratos is not a God of War game anymore. He is the most recognizable Sony character, even more than Nathan Drake and Sackboy.

Top Bottom