• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG.com - Polish company puts saran wrap over the toilet bowl, yells "PUNK'D"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

MOD ABUSE
GOGpocalypse live stream (might be full or slow to load): http://www.transmisjeonline.pl/gogconference
/MOD ABUSE

http://www.gog.com/

Dear GOG users,

We have recently had to give serious thought to whether we could really keep GOG.com the way it is. We've debated on it for quite some time and, unfortunately, we've decided that GOG.com simply cannot remain in its current form.

We're very grateful for all support we've received from all of you in the past two years. Working on GOG.com was a great adventure for all of us and an unforgettable journey to the past, through the long and wonderful history of PC gaming.

This doesn't mean the idea behind GOG.com is gone forever. We're closing down the service and putting this era behind us as new challenges await.

On a technical note, this week we'll put in place a solution to allow everyone to re-download their games. Stay tuned to this page and follow us on Twitter and Facebook for updates.

All the best,
GOG.com Team

:(

(9/20)

edit #2 - Thread title pretty much sums it up for the moment.

edit #1 - I'll update the OP when we get concrete information about what the hell is going on with this clusterfuck.

Nif

:(

Oh, is there any way to get my copy of Freespace 2 from them before they go? I'm not sure if I have a backup.

I had outcast and advent rising (don't ask) on games I wanted to buy from the site :(

didn't they have a lot of fixes for older games? I wonder what will happen with those

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
1) Bummer. Sad for CD Projekt. They've had a bad run at it since their super success with The Witcher.

2) Bummer. A lot of great old games, including Master of Orion 2, are only available on GOG and having them go back "out of print" sucks.

3) Good thing there's no DRM on GOG releases so at least existing owners won't be boned.

4) Boy I hope some of the other DD services snatch up Arcanum, MOO2, and the other games that were previously only available on GOG.

Salaadin

Ive been meaning to buy Another World from them for a while now. I thought I could quickly go on today and get it after this thread but I see they already pulled everything.

Shit :(

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Stumpokapow said:
2) Bummer. A lot of great old games, including Master of Orion 2, are only available on GOG and having them go back "out of print" sucks.

3) Good thing there's no DRM on GOG releases so at least existing owners won't be boned.

4) Boy I hope some of the other DD services snatch up Arcanum, MOO2, and the other games that were previously only available on GOG.
Freespace 2 is another one. Beautiful DRM free copy for 6$ vs 40$+ beat up, used copies >_>

I was still waiting on their next sale to get Outcast and a few others.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Also, given that they were still adding new games as recently as this week, I'd assume one of their major publishing partners pulled support suddenly.

shintoki said:
Freespace 2 is another one. Beautiful DRM free copy for 6$ vs 40$+ beat up, used copies >_>

Yeah, I was going to have a burn through their directory to see what other AAA titles were unique to the service, but they've already pulled everything and I couldn't remember what else was on there.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Salaadin said:
Ive been meaning to buy Another World from them for a while now. I thought I could quickly go on today and get it after this thread but I see they already pulled everything.

Shit :(
Another World sucks anyways. Fuck that game is hard.

Stumpokapow said:
Probably their biggest issue when it came to getting titles, if they have to go back on this to put the service back up again I wouldn't mind.

RedStep

its+not+fair.jpg

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Stumpokapow said:
Also, given that they were still adding new games as recently as this week, I'd assume one of their major publishing partners pulled support suddenly.
Yeah, this has came as one heck of a shock, I honestly thought that GOG was doing quite well.

I wonder what has happened here, as you say, possibly a legal/publisher issue?

GoG was a bit of a dodgy service, emulated dosbox games. Warez scene cracks for some of their titles. Bringing back old games was admirable though.

Minsc

Gold Member
Stumpokapow said:
1) Bummer. Sad for CD Projekt. They've had a bad run at it since their super success with The Witcher.

1- I feel like CD Projekt is the king of surprise bad news announcements. They didn't let on the smallest hint of GoG going offline.

2 - And the upcoming Master of Magic successor, Age of Wonders II: Shadow Magic... I was so close to owning it for $10. :(

3- Yea, one of the better things about GoG, my games all still work and will work indefinitely. And they're going to get a system in place to let you download your games if you don't have them archived, so that's good.

4- Me too. And AoWII:SM!!! I think they should have just released them all last week and given us a chance to download them. At least I grabbed AoW I for $5.

Shocking and terrible news. There were a bunch of games I had put off buying and others I hadn't downloaded.

So sad to see the best example of what a digital store could be disappear.

Lonely1 said:
Bad news... Sorry, I was part of the problem.
Please elaborate. Of what problem do you speak?

nny

What the fuck? I was not expecting this at all. Wow...guess I'll just make sure I have a copy of all the games I bought from them. Fuck, I loved that site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom