• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG | News and Updates 2017 - Back to the basics

Persona7

Banned
GOG has pissed me off a bit with this sale.

Tropico bundle? Yeah, bought it, because Tropico 5 wasn't on sale and it's standard practice to at least put all games from the same series on sale at the same time. I figured they weren't going to put T5 on sale for whatever reason.

And now the Complete version of Tropico 5 is on sale. Not part of a bundle, so I can't even get an extra discount there. Smacks of dishonesty.

They don't really have a choice and sales are up to the publisher.

Kagemusha

Tropico bundle? Yeah, bought it, because Tropico 5 wasn't on sale and it's standard practice to at least put all games from the same series on sale at the same time. I figured they weren't going to put T5 on sale for whatever reason.

And now the Complete version of Tropico 5 is on sale. Not part of a bundle, so I can't even get an extra discount there. Smacks of dishonesty.

"New deals arrive every 24 hours and they are added to the ones already there. Once a deal is made available, it stays available for the entire duration of the Summer Sale."

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I'm buying Bloodrayne Betrayal today. $2 is a pretty killer price, and I really liked the game. It's s love it or hate it sorta thing, but I found it really satisfying, particularly as someone who likes running through 2D actioners as quickly and efficiently as possible.

coughlanio

Whilst I understand your frustration, it's not like they retroactively added Tropico 5 to the bundle. As stated by GOG themselves, games will be discounted throughout the sale.

MrFortyFive

Glad to see GOG is is learning from past mistakes by making sure we still get a good stream of releases during the sale. Ori was an especially nice surprise.

Danny Dudekisser

Glad to see GOG is is learning from past mistakes by making sure we still get a good stream of releases during the sale. Ori was an especially nice surprise.

Ori, Broforce, and Dex this week so far. That's a pretty damn good lineup, and I've gotta give GOG credit.

Nordicus

The metagame is actually kinda clever in how it supports new titles even when everything else is so discounted.

Buy a new game? Unlock 1-2 games from the XP line immediately.

It was kinda the same case last year where I would not have bought Witcher 3 Expansion Pass, had they not given me Xenonauts on top of it.

Tizoc

Hmm so I got TR 1-3 from gog.com but apparently they don't contain the extra stuff from the Gold/Unfinished Business expansions.
EDIT: Huh OK so only TR3's expansion is unavailable for free, go figure.

draetenth

I had a lot of fun with GUN, but I'm not sure it was great. It felt low-budget to me (I know nothing about how it was made so maybe that's true).

I remember four things:

Scalping - buy a knife and you could scalp any human (with reactions).

IIRC, I thought the game was pretty easy until the final fight where I had a hard time to figure out how to beat the final boss.

IIRC, you can listen to a cowboy sing a song about a whore.

You fight a level in a prostitute hotel. Go through the level at the right speed and you can actually catch a cowboy in the act (looking through a crack in the wall - you only see his head and I believe he is just saying "yeah!" over and over).

Oh yeah, if you commit crimes, a posse will form to come after you. Except I remember them being really easy to kill and once you do, all crime is forgiven...

Granted it's been a long time since i played so I could be remembering wrong...

Danny Dudekisser

Well, looks like GOG's back to their usual disappointing release antics this week.

I dunno how they keep having droughts when there are so many good games they miss.

Mivey

Well, looks like GOG's back to their usual disappointing release antics this week.

I dunno how they keep having droughts when there are so many good games they miss.
It's either that or just an Appstore-like off hands approach like Valve. I mean, I don't know why people don't like seeing crap games on Steam, since they can just, ya know, not buy them, but the alternative is something like GOG where brilliant games like Android Assault Cactus are just ignored. The dev has just not gotten any feedback from GOG and I'm guessing not because of quality, but more likely time issues.

Danny Dudekisser

It's either that or just an Appstore-like off hands approach like Valve. I mean, I don't know why people don't like seeing crap games on Steam, since they can just, ya know, not buy them, but the alternative is something like GOG where brilliant games like Android Assault Cactus are just ignored. The dev has just not gotten any feedback from GOG and I'm guessing not because of quality, but more likely time issues.

All I wanted this week was Zero Time Dilemma. I don't think it's that tough. It's an adventure game that should appeal to GOG's audience, doesn't feel overly anime, and isn't from a huge developer. But I guess I should've known better than to expect any sort of progress.

Speaking as someone who works in business development in the industry, it *cannot* be that difficult to bring something interesting on-board once in a while. It can't. It's not.

Knurek

All I wanted this week was Zero Time Dilemma. I don't think it's that tough. It's an adventure game that should appeal to GOG's audience, doesn't feel overly anime, and isn't from a huge developer. But I guess I should've known better than to expect any sort of progress.

Speaking as someone who works in business development in the industry, it *cannot* be that difficult to bring something interesting on-board once in a while. It can't. It's not.

Why do you think this is GOG's fault, and not Spike Chunsoft's?

Nordicus

"Getting a new game that's above indie budget level to release on a DRM-free platform can not be that hard. It can't. It's not."

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Releasing your game on GOG is literally putting out a prepackaged version out there for pirates. It's a tough sell to convince folks to do that when they first launch their game.

Knurek

Releasing your game on GOG is literally putting out a prepackaged version out there for pirates. It's a tough sell to convince folks to do that when they first launch their game.

Many companies think GOG version == ease of pirating., but it's not like releasing the game on Steam (or 3DS) is any different.
Steam version is already cracked, 3DS one leaked few days before release.

Danny Dudekisser

Why do you think this is GOG's fault, and not Spike Chunsoft's?

They have a reputation for shooting down niche titles that developers tried to bring to the store, and historically haven't focused at all on Japanese developers. I get that some of the bigger JP corporations might be more resistant to the idea of DRM-free, but you can't possibly tell me it's a universal thing. This happens every. single. goddamn. time.

Knurek

They have a reputation for shooting down niche titles that developers tried to bring to the store, and historically haven't focused at all on Japanese developers. I get that some of the bigger JP corporations might be more resistant to the idea of DRM-free, but you can't possibly tell me it's a universal thing. This happens every. single. goddamn. time.

Degica managed to release some titles on GOG.
Same with Falcom/XSeed and Idea Factory.
I agree that GOG's criteria for releasing things on their store are absurd at times (see Cook, Serve, Delicious), but I really wouldn't put this whole thing on them in this case.

Danny Dudekisser

All I wanted last week was ZTD. Didn't get it. All I wanted this week was Furi... Didn't get it. We got an early access game, a pre-order, DLC, and another ghetto survival game that looks like it belongs on mobile... it's like they're intentionally missing the point.

Wanting DRM-free versions of games is just needlessly frustrating. I wish there was a DRM-free competitor that actually wanted to release good games.

Danny Dudekisser

Alright. This makes me happy.

Definitely in for Dragon Age and Dead Space, maybe SimCity 3000. Kind of amazing that there's finally a version of Dragon Age that has all of the content in one place, without requiring that stupid fucking Bioware account.

ShadowOwl

Even though Dead Space is amazing I don't intend to revisit it in the near future (Dead Space 2 would change my mind though), so I will go with Dragon Age Origins (haven't played Awakening yet) for now. Great releases!

To put Sim City 3000 among those two seems kinda random though. lol

Linkark07

Banned
Alright. This makes me happy.

Definitely in for Dragon Age and Dead Space, maybe SimCity 3000. Kind of amazing that there's finally a version of Dragon Age that has all of the content in one place, without requiring that stupid fucking Bioware account.

Maybe I'm wrong but my Origin DA:O Ultimate Edition on Origin has all the DLC installed when you download the game.

Also, take this with a grain of salt but in GOG Forums a blue poster mentioned: Praise the Sun. Teasing a possible Dark Souls GOG release?

Danny Dudekisser

Maybe I'm wrong but my Origin DA:O Ultimate Edition on Origin has all the DLC installed when you download the game.

Also, take this with a grain of salt but in GOG Forums a blue poster mentioned: Praise the Sun. Teasing a possible Dark Souls GOG release?

I was under the impression that DA: O on origin still required the user to log in with a bioware account to get the DLC. But regardless, this is DRM-free. Always better.

Didn't see that post on the GOG forums, but I dunno. If Dark Souls came out soon after, my mind would literally melt.

draetenth

Great news, now that they will be on a platform I actually use frequently, I may actually get around to playing Dragon Age and Dead Space.

Tizoc

Little King Story is coming to GOG too right?
It release on Steam on the 5th of August, so I'd expect the GOG release to be on the same day too
Gameplay is similar to Pikmin and Overlord (controlling a bunch of different little units as a big blob and navigating the world by sending the little individual units towards obstacles and enemies) with a very cute/sweet fairytale skin.

Highly recommended.

Now if only we could get the Brandish series....
Brandish 1 has that traditional PC RPG feel to it from the late 80s/early 90s. Basically think Dungeon Master (1987) but with that Falcom touch.

That Original PC-98 intro is magnificent
https://youtu.be/GFfWcUmWq_w?t=160
https://youtu.be/LsaXOPzyOPY?t=169

...and the PSP remake's rock arrangement is its own kind of beast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR88Qx5VQhI

Same user name over there, feel free to add me. Galaxy chat support is pretty, eh, "basic". basic. Anyway, what made you join GOG? What did you buy?

What made me join is the drm free. I have some games I got free right now but will be buying classics that were my favorites.

Top Bottom