• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG | News and Updates 2017 - Back to the basics

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Hmm... I wonder when the WayForward stuff will actually start getting released. Really want to pick their games up on PC.

Also, pretty stoked that I'll finally have my new processor, so I can build this new computer. My old one shit the bed, and it's taken 9 weeks to get ahold of the new Skylake i7... so it'll be cool to actually be able to dig into the stuff I've bought on GOG in the last 2+ months.

Nothing better to show off a new build than games that're over a decade or two old!

(Although for as sarcastic as this comment is, I am guilty of doing the same thing. Hot new processor and high-end graphics card? Let's play Doom! ...no, not the 2016 one - the 1993 one! Yeah!)

Teppic

Yay, they released Strong Bad! Going to wait for a bigger discount since I already own it on Telltale's site and I already have the other games, just not on GOG.

Persona7

Banned
Hector is actually quite good.
Not developed by Telltale, they just published it, and it shows - lovely 2D artwork, some actual point and click gameplay. Also, loads of British humour. Highly recommended, if you're into that sort of thing

I think I will grab this game too while it is on sale. Seems neat.

Yay, they released Strong Bad! Going to wait for a bigger discount since I already own it on Telltale's site and I already have the other games, just not on GOG.

I definitely want to replay this game. I remember very little about it because it's been so long since I played it on the wii.

Tizoc

So I've listed the following games as 'Building' games, which of these are good entry levels for say a child to try their hand at games of the genre?
Settlers: Rise of an Empire
Settlers 2
Anno 1503 and 1701
Caesar 3
Zeus
Cleopatra

Persona7

Banned
So I've listed the following games as 'Building' games, which of these are good entry levels for say a child to try their hand at games of the genre?
Settlers: Rise of an Empire
Settlers 2
Anno 1503 and 1701
Caesar 3
Zeus
Cleopatra

I haven't played any of those so I don't have any useful information but, SimCity can be a great game for kids. Not sure if you have tried any of them yet but SimCity 2000 and SimCity 4 Deluxe are on GOG.

I found this article too: http://www.brightpips.com/learning-simcity-valuable-lessons-kids-learn-playing-mayor/

I've found the Anno games tend to have really complex and somewhat non-intuitive interfaces.

I'm stretching back to like 2000 here but from what I remember Zeus and Cleopatra are relatively simple to get a grip on to start with.

Danny Dudekisser

Way of the Samurai 4 is finally on GOG. Glad I waited.

They also added 80 Days, in case you really want a mobile game on your PC.

Tizoc

OK so this is gonna sound weird but:
Where can I get a retail copy of SimCity 2000 that comes with the book/manual?
I used to have the manual which was a book and had some quotes in it, but it seems to have gone lost and I really liked that book a lot, so I want it ^^;

Persona7

Banned
OK so this is gonna sound weird but:
Where can I get a retail copy of SimCity 2000 that comes with the book/manual?
I used to have the manual which was a book and had some quotes in it, but it seems to have gone lost and I really liked that book a lot, so I want it ^^;

I typed "simcity 2000 manual" on ebay and see a few.

I don't know what way of the samurai 4 is about but the 40% discount makes me want to get it.

Danny Dudekisser

I don't know what way of the samurai 4 is about but the 40% discount makes me want to get it.

Way of the Samurai is about games being fun. It's a short game with a shitload of branching paths (ie: meant to be replayed), great combat, and a really weird sense of humor. It's awesome.

Persona7

Banned
Way of the Samurai is about games being fun. It's a short game with a shitload of branching paths (ie: meant to be replayed), great combat, and a really weird sense of humor. It's awesome.

I watched a video and this does seem fun so I got the main game and DLC.

I played way of the samurai 4 on the ps3 years back. Loads of fun. Took me a while to find out about the "using the flat of your blade" thing. That was seriously cool. Will rebuy on gog just for the convenience.

draetenth

Nice to see Way of the Samurai 4 on GOG. I had it on my Steam wishlist because I loved playing it on the PS3 (think I got every ending in like 12 hours), but prefer it on GOG.

Danny Dudekisser

Does Way Of The Samurai 4 have more DLC available on other platforms?

The Steam version does have a few more pieces of DLC, but unless I'm mistaken, it looks like the missing DLC is just a series of boosts that make the game easier, not actual additional content. So, everything meaningful is included here.

Persona7

Banned
The Steam version does have a few more pieces of DLC, but unless I'm mistaken, it looks like the missing DLC is just a series of boosts that make the game easier, not actual additional content. So, everything meaningful is included here.

Thanks for the info. Not having that type of extra content doesn't bother me.

Persona7

Banned
I really wish they would integrate a balance system so I can just put a set amount to spend each month in one transaction instead of my credit card getting flagged every time I make 2+ transactions in a short period of time.

Danny Dudekisser

Way of the Samurai 4 is up to #3 on the charts, which seems fairly promising. I want games like this to do well. Really kinda sick of GOG not getting JP-developed stuff, so success with whatever we do get on there can only be a good thing.

Persona7

Banned
Way of the Samurai 4 is up to #3 on the charts, which seems fairly promising. I want games like this to do well. Really kinda sick of GOG not getting JP-developed stuff, so success with whatever we do get on there can only be a good thing.

I am glad to see that and I feel the same way.

Danny Dudekisser

Some good fucking games today:

Wolfenstein 3D and Return to Castle Wolfenstein: http://www.gog.com/promo/bethesda_classics_wolfenstein_bundle_011015

Quake II and Quake III: http://www.gog.com/promo/bethesda_classics_quake_bundle_011015

All expansions are included with those. No idea if Quake II's soundtrack is included... hopefully it is.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein is a game I've always wanted to play since it first came out. I should make good on that now.

Anyway, I hope that the next batch of Bethesda games will start including some of the more recent stuff. I'm curious just how much of the catalog we're going to get.

I can't imagine you'll be getting Skyrim DRM-free, at the very least; IIRC it's got pretty heavy Steam integration.

Oh, and Armikrog came out. It's fun, you should try it. Controls are oddly finicky, though.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Can anyone explain to me why Quake, Quake II, etc. -- games which were all well-known for having GNU/Linux versions before it was as common as it is today -- don't get GNU/Linux versions from stores like GOG and Steam?

It just boggles my mind.

Tizoc

Armikrog is gonna make me do needless multiple saves wont it :p
I thought I saved my game the last time I played but turns out I didn't
Luckily the puzzles from that point are easy for me to get through.

It does need more stuff though, it's like they focued on the puzzles and visuals but neglected the UI. It also needs larger font for subtitles as well audio slider/volume slider.

Teppic

Just a warning for Quake III. Seems to have cd key activation. It's not DRM-free.

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/re..._3d_return_to_castle_wolfenstein_b1348/post12

Edit: Got some answers from GOG staff regarding the issue.

CD keys are largely obsolete, but still required on some multiplayer servers, dependent on host. They are not needed for anything else.

I didn't understand that so I asked if you can host and play the game and got this answer.
You should be able to. At least that's what I got from QA Minions.

Sounds good, but I would like if someone can confirm this.

ricki42

Can anyone explain to me why Quake, Quake II, etc. -- games which were all well-known for having GNU/Linux versions before it was as common as it is today -- don't get GNU/Linux versions from stores like GOG and Steam?

It just boggles my mind.

I was thinking the same thing. Kind of disappointing.

Persona7

Banned
Has anyone tried using a "paysafecard" on GOG before? It seems that there are a few cell phone shops around LA that sell them so I might try to get one because I keep getting blocked transactions with my credit and debit cards.

Woorloog

Banned
Quakes with all expansions and with music, only about 10$ (well, whatever that's in euros)?
That's like considerably better deal than what you get from Steam. Should i get them now or wait for a sale...

Why no Quake 1+2 bundle, not interested in Quake 3...

Also, rather annoying to get email about these being added like two days after they're added.

EDIT Quake 1 has a problem though. It has zombies. Not sure i want to buy it after all. Quake 1's and Thief 1's zombies are about the only enemies in any game that actually creep me out.

Persona7

Banned
what am I going to do with all these quake and wolfenstein games lmao

not mention system shock and way of the samurai 4

EDIT Quake 1 has a problem though. It has zombies. Not sure i want to buy it after all. Quake 1's and Thief 1's zombies are about the only enemies in any game that actually creep me out.
They're so pathetically easy to deal with, though. Like, rockets are practically raining from the skies with how plentiful they are, and it only takes one from either rocket-using weapon to take out a group of them.

I suppose they're thematically disturbing, but honestly, I never gave Quake's world that much thought...

Woorloog

Banned
They're so pathetically easy to deal with, though. Like, rockets are practically raining from the skies with how plentiful they are, and it only takes one from either rocket-using weapon to take out a group of them.

I suppose they're thematically disturbing, but honestly, I never gave Quake's world that much thought...

I know they're easy to deal with. It is just they creep me out (just like Thief 1's zombies). They don't even disturb me, beyond being creepy.
I don't know why... In most games, i have zero problems with zombies or anything like it or anything else gruesome, indeed most things rarely cause any kind of reaction in me.

Of course, it could be just a memory, since it has been probably over a decade since i last played Quake 1.
Arguably a good reason to buy the game...

Top Bottom