• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going back to the office after 3 years really surprised me.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
We just started getting back to the office 2 days a week.

My first day back was fine. It was a good feeling overall, looking at familiar faces in the eyes and chit chatting.

But then around 10AM I started having cold sweats and shortness of breath just sitting at my desk.
I got up and went home in a spectacular Irish Goodbye.

Back home I felt better. I was back in my Castle. My safe place of the last 3 years.
Was this a panic attack? I never felt this before. Zero logic.

I seriously underestimated the damage those last 3 years of isolation did to me.

I lost the ability to small talk. When I speak more than 3 or 4 minutes I sometimes hesitate/stutter because all the talk I've done lately is "Hello" and "Thank you!" when I go at the supermarket and pharmacy.

I lived like a hermit in a cave & I'm paying the price 😆

Physically I'm fine, I did a lot of long walks and some bike rides during the pandemic.

I'm just socially broken and have to learn again.
Thankfully my Lead understands.
I will only do half days as a progressive comeback the next 4 days much like I did when I came back after a year off sick leave in 2019.

My goal is to work full office days tuesday wednesday and thursday with mondays & fridays working at home.

This really took me by surprise because I was looking forward going back to work and this curveball kicked my ass out of nowhere.

But today was good! No cold sweats.
I did sometimes feel like Mickey Mouse at Disneyworld when coworkers would spot and flock towards me because I'm appreciated and been there over 15 years.

I am thankful for my Lead's empathy and confident I'll be back to "normal" in a week or two.

Anybody feel the same or am I the only rabid wolf in here? 😄

jason10mm

Gold Member
The pandemic has been over for YEARS, WTF have you been?

8Hb0sxD.jpg

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Panic attacks don't behave logically, you should talk to someone for that

I didn't have anything like that going back a few days (still not weekly), but I do find it's just exhausting now. Being able to roll to my computer at 9AM is so much better for my sleep cycle, I've been tracking it and always thought I had shit sleep but I at least average 8 hours this way which is pretty good. Getting up early, getting ready, commuting through traffic both ways, it's so draining after 3 years of not.

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I spent a lot of time during the first year of the pandemic on my own and I definitely got weird. Didn't get anxiety, but did find normal social situations pretty awkward for a while - you re-acclimatise fast when you start regularly spending more time around people.

The whole bad at small talk thing was easier to mask when everyone's answer to 'what have you been up to?' was always the same (I was at home in my pyjamas watching Tiger King).

Last edited:

violence

Major change of habit. Cold sweats seem extreme but that seems to be improving. It's fascinating hearing stories from the laptop class.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future

My first day back was fine. It was a good feeling overall, looking at familiar faces in the eyes and chit chatting.

But then around 10AM I started having cold sweats and shortness of breath just sitting at my desk.

Back home I felt better. I was back in my Castle. My safe place of the last 3 years.

I seriously underestimated the damage those last 3 years of isolation did to me.

I lost the ability to small talk. When I speak more than 3 or 4 minutes I sometimes hesitate/stutter because all the talk I've done lately is "Hello" and "Thank you!" when I go at the supermarket and pharmacy.

Physically I'm fine, I did a lot of long walks and some bike rides during the pandemic.

I will only do half days as a progressive comeback the next 4 days much like I did when I came back after a year off sick leave in 2019.

My goal is to work full office days tuesday wednesday and thursday with mondays & fridays working at home.

This really took me by surprise because I was looking forward going back to work and this curveball kicked my ass out of nowhere.

I did sometimes feel like Mickey Mouse at Disneyworld when coworkers would spot and flock towards me because I'm appreciated and been there over 15 years.

I am thankful for my Lead's empathy and confident I'll be back to "normal" in a week or two.

Pandemic? we stopped doing that ages ago.
You remind me of the story about the Japanese soldier who kept fighting World War II into like the 70s.
Anyway glad to hear that the initial panic attack seems to have subsided, maybe see a therapist or psychiatrist?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Back to the office just now?

That’s a generous workplace. Most people on wfh lockdown have been back to the office for a year or two. We went back a year and half ago.

Only people I know still wfh are friends who work for small companies and they literally gave up the lease or didn’t renew so it’s wfh permanently. If they need a meeting space for a day they just rent a hotel conference room.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Panic attacks don't behave logically, you should talk to someone for that

I didn't have anything like that going back a few days (still not weekly), but I do find it's just exhausting now. Being able to roll to my computer at 9AM is so much better for my sleep cycle, I've been tracking it and always thought I had shit sleep but I at least average 8 hours this way which is pretty good. Getting up early, getting ready, commuting through traffic both ways, it's so draining after 3 years of not.
If 8 hours is what you need for good rest, then for days you’d be at the office why not just go to bed an hour early? Sounds like you go to bed at the same time both situations.

Jinzo Prime

Waiting 3 years to go back to office was a bad decision on the part of management. Hope you are able to work on your social anxiety, I know how tough that can be, I still have issues with it after years of drugs and therapy.

John Marston

Pandemic? we stopped doing that ages ago.
You remind me of the story about the Japanese soldier who kept fighting World War II into like the 70s.
Anyway glad to hear that the initial panic attack seems to have subsided, maybe see a therapist or psychiatrist?
Pandemic being "ages ago" sounds like my mom died in the 60's. But Covid killed her the 12th of May 2020.

But I get it. We get used to things and move on.

And yes I'm happy that panic attack was a one time thing 🙂

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
I went back to the office and now I have the flu. I mean..I hope its just the flu and not the other thing...again. There have been reports of it increasing again. Fuck sake.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member

Zelphyr, is that you?! Did you change your name or am I responding to an impostor who stole your avatar and general steeze?

Happosai

Hold onto your panties

I suffer from a variety of anxiety disorders which range from mild to extreme. During 2020 when I started working remote, I got way too used to it. Not just for work but I didn't want to go out on weekends either. Probably shouldn't say this but, I didn't leave the house (except for 3 doctors visits) in 2021. Never isolated myself that bad and noticed I was enjoying it more than a normal person should. It was agoraphobia. I was determined that I'd stay that way until a family member here invited me to speak at his wedding. My wife pushed me to go and I'm glad she did. It broke the agoraphobia.

The anxiety will go away and yes, it was a panic attack. I've had far too many to know that feeling and describe every symptom. However, if you like the job, environment and give it time; you'll bounce back too. I think overall, we as people weren't meant to be isolated. If you decided to take up bike riding or get on a skateboard or scooter like I did; even better.

John Marston

I went back to the office and now I have the flu. I mean..I hope its just the flu and not the other thing...again. There have been reports of it increasing again. Fuck sake.
Coincidentally 4 dudes in my section caught Covid within the first week of going back to the office.
Zelphyr, is that you?! Did you change your name or am I responding to an impostor who stole your avatar and general steeze?
Yes it's meeee Zelphyr!!

Our benevolent Overlord EviLore EviLore kindly changed my username to fit my avatar & give Zephir Zephir the rest he deserves 😊

John Marston

I didn't leave the house (except for 3 doctors visits) in 2021. Never isolated myself that bad and noticed I was enjoying it more than a normal person should. It was agoraphobia.
You hit the nail right on the head my friend.

My only "activities" the last 3 years besides groceries & pharmacy was a 2 hour picnic with a friend and seeing the latest Mission Impossible last month.

Your post is one of the saddest things I’ve read, ever.
Come on it's not that bad! 😆

We're not talking bone cancer in 5 year olds or severe trauma. Just adjusting after being away for a while.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
You hit the nail right on the head my friend.

My only "activities" the last 3 years besides groceries & pharmacy was a 2 hour picnic with a friend and seeing the latest Mission Impossible last month.

Come on it's not that bad! 😆

We're not talking bone cancer in 5 year olds or severe trauma. Just adjusting after being away for a while.
I got back into animation and making comics as a hobby. The animation part wasn't a total waste because I was able to apply it as an extra with my work in marketing. The comics are personal to share with friends and family. 2021 was difficult because staying inside made it seem like the lockdown was still going on and I was getting depressed toward the end of that year.

First few times I went out last year I was certainly not comfortable yet and would retreat to my safe zone. Feels so much better to get out now even if it's just a day. I'm still WFH Monday - Friday but I try to get out on the weekends. First movie I saw was Rocky IV DC when that was in theaters; well...first post-lockdown movie I should say.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I loved being in the office while everyone else was at home. Now it's full and noisy again and I with they would just go back home.

diffusionx

Gold Member
my team was classified as remote but I go in the office sometimes when I am bored. the culture of the company - the thing they said people had to go back for - has been completely decimated. as in, there is none. People don't talk, people don't work late on projects, people don't collaborate, they just work and go home at 5:01. When I go in I usually have lunch with friends and maybe get a drink with the same people. I think a lot of people in my industry have shifted to permanent remote.

it's weird because I used to genuinely like going to the office, and I still do, but it's not the same.

Last edited:

Porcile

Everyone I know that went to WFH and still are have become insular weirdos. They probably had it in them already but the isolation has just made them worse and a whole lot more neurotic than when they had to force themselves to exist within a community all day.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

Show them the highest rated pics from the "pics that make you laugh" thread.

What could possibly go wrong???

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
The pandemic broke a lot of people's brains in a variety of ways.
Darn....working from home would really break me....lol

I had to go to work. I did briefly do a one week on-site and one week home for a few months. It was great. Did people not work? No conference calls? There is still plenty of interaction. These people make me laugh.

Peggies

Gold Member
I can relate! I was gone from work nearly two years and spent that time at home with two babies and no bra. Suddenly they want me to wear a bra and talk like a grown up.

I used to be really good at pretending to be a normal person who actually knows what they're doing but now I just feel like this all the time

I Have No Idea What Im Doing GIF

Plus that fucking bra sucks.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I liked being in the office with no one there. Now that people are back I don’t get to chill as much. But I am their lead now so it is ok.

I never stopped going out and talking to people. And I had people over all the time. So I was never isolated.

Top Bottom