• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going to buy first Macbook (15" pro 2017) - talk me out of it?

trixx

I'd love to get either this or a surface when I got the funds in a few years. They're so good.
I'm in a similar position but I can't justify the price knowing I could get a monster laptop with a gaming gpu for less. If it wasn't for that touch bar I reckon the price would be significantly lower.

Also stay the hell away from Surface products. I just sold my SP4 for a huge loss, the software bugs were insane. Some poor shmuck is going to be stuck with that awful device. MS needs to get their shit together, you'd think the experience would be great with them making the hardware and the software.
Never-mind, mac it is. I thought Microsoft had it by now with sp4/surface book

- really try a 13" model, you will trade a huge gain in mobility against a loss of screen space and computer power that you are not seeming to need anyway.
13 inches is honestly the best screen size

Ah, you must be talking about the non retina model. Yeah those are upgradeable but definitely haven't aged well. Probably running a spinner in there. SSD will help you immensely.

yep, and I intend to upgrade to 8GIGs of RAM as well. It's brutal man, couldn't believe it had aged as poorly as it has. They should not sell these anymore.

Dabanton

Yeah the first thing with most apple stuff is you just have to swallow the idea of the cost.

I'd say If viewing PDF's and some light photo editing in the future is all you're planning to do with it. I'd personally just get an iPad Pro. With a keyboard attachment for when you have to do any fast typing. At least that then gives you the option of touchscreen.

But as this is a promo not sure whether Apple includes iPad as educational?

if the option is there I'd go for a 13" inch Macbook Pro. I recently got gifted a fully stacked MBP and coming from a 15 inch older and heavier Macbook Pro this smaller newer one is amazing to use.

Amory

I dunno. They're very nice, durable laptops but they're very expensive for what you could get by going with a Windows computer.

But sometimes you want what you want, and you should just get it.

Treat yo self

recently bought a 2017 13' touchbarless macbook for 1280€. its pricey but i really love the hardware and software. if you want to edit music, photos or videos the standard software is better than most of the stuff you can get on windows. also you can get windows on it, if you want. the only downside so far is the lack of ports. mine only has two usbc ports... i hear the 15 inch has four usbc ports. youll need some dongles.

ipad is great for browsing but really not good for anything productive imho

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If the money isn't a big issue, then it's totally worth it. I vastly prefer OSX for general computer stuff than Windows and Apple makes great products.

Animator

It's a good laptop. I have a maxed out 2017 mbp and I love it. I do not play games on it but it is great for everything else like video editing, etc especially if you are using apple software which is crazy optimized.

tkscz

I'm a tech so I would so don't get it just because Macs have their own special ways of dying, usually the HDD/SSD. There is no cheap repair for them either, but if you're not using it for much, go ahead and get one. They aren't bad, just cost too much for what they are.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'd go with the XPS, but I judge laptops by what internal hardware you're getting for the price.

Macbooks will always be horrid in that regard.

The OS alone isn't worth the gigantic premium, for me.

Get it only if you plan to use it for 7+ years. Never spend that much money on a laptop (one meant to last a while) and then upgrade again 3 years later. The purpose of that laptop, regardless of what Apple tells you, is to last you as long as possible. If you want a new laptop every 3 years, absolutely do not get it; you're wasting your money.

I just bought an XPS 15 (i7, 16gb, 512ssd) plus 24" Ultrasharp monitor plus thunderbolt dock and still spent less than an MBP 15. I can't justify the insane price tag MBPs carry nowadays. You could argue they were in a class of their own a few years back but no longer.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i miss my late 2008 macbook. i really loved it and would love nothing more to go back to Mac but just can't justify the price anymore when I can build a PC that is way more powerful for much less.

apple's hardware and software work together amazingly. if you have the money and don't mind paying the price then go for it. i am thinking about buying a macbook to compliment my gaming PC. i'd love something to use while lying in bed or around the house. yet every time i find myself on Apple's website I keep thinking that I could built a much better system on my own for less money.

conpfreak

i miss my late 2008 macbook. i really loved it and would love nothing more to go back to Mac but just can't justify the price anymore when I can build a PC that is way more powerful for much less.

apple's hardware and software work together amazingly. if you have the money and don't mind paying the price then go for it. i am thinking about buying a macbook to compliment my gaming PC. i'd love something to use while lying in bed or around the house. yet every time i find myself on Apple's website I keep thinking that I could built a much better system on my own for less money.

That's the thing about the MacBook; you can't buy a better laptop when you consider OS X, the build quality, and longevity of the device. I bought a 2011 MacBook Pro in 2011 and I am still strugglging to justify upgrading to an newer model besides the outdated display (which isn't bad, just low resolution these days).

ronco2000

Don't do it OP. It's too expensive for the specs you're getting. Get an Dell Xps 15. Spend the $1000 you save on others school stuff like boat load of condoms.

You can try looking for a better deal at the dell outlet website. You can get a refurb or open box of a XPS 15 9560 with 16gb, 1tb SSD and 4k touchscreen for $1200.

NJSlay

Banned
I almost did this back in December. SO glad I didn't buy the Macbook Pro I was looking at. I got a Lenovo Flex 4 on sale with an i7, 16GB ram, 15'' FHD+ screen, 256 SSD and a 2GB Radeon GPU for around $650.

I almost paid $2000+ for a logo and some fancy metal. That machine wouldn't have been as capable as the one I bought, either.

I used to hate Macs but since I was forced to use one for work I've fallen in love and can't go back. Coming on 5 years now and I can't recall a single issue, and I'm just using an 11inch MacBook Air.

Admodieus

I'd take a long look at a Surface Pro or a Thinkpad X1 Yoga with the same specs before committing to the MBP unless you absolutely need OS X for something. I really like the utility of my X1 Yoga - when I bend it around to be a tablet, the keys recede so I don't accidentally press them. Has a pen slot built in too which makes annotating PDFs or stuff in OneNote really fast and easy.

It's a very nice computer but its way too expensive for your needs. Unless you have mountains of disposable income you'd be better served with a more budget model. Or even get a tablet if you are mainly viewing pdfs.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm in a similar position but I can't justify the price knowing I could get a monster laptop with a gaming gpu for less. If it wasn't for that touch bar I reckon the price would be significantly lower.

Also stay the hell away from Surface products. I just sold my SP4 for a huge loss, the software bugs were insane. Some poor shmuck is going to be stuck with that awful device. MS needs to get their shit together, you'd think the experience would be great with them making the hardware and the software.

I hear you on the software bugs. My work offered them and I tried an SP4 for a couple of months, but the thing was a nightmare to use. Constant interface scaling issues and weird bugs just killing the user experience. Don't even bother with one of these if you use external monitors regularly.

OP from the first page What's wrong with an Alienware at work ? I used my old Alienware at work for 9 years until it broke. A lot cheaper and I had more processing power than my co-workers with expensive Dells and apples. No one gives a shit what your laptop looks like as long as your actually working and getting stuff done.

Erheller

I got a 2012 15" model in 2012, and it's still going strong today. Used it for a lot of gaming (not anymore), and I'm using it as my computer at work. Runs R scripts on large datasets pretty well.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Windows really just needs to get their act together when it comes to scaling and high DPI devices.

They even have an article on their page about it, so they definitely are aware that Windows is shit at handling high resolution devices.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3025083/windows-scaling-issues-for-high-dpi-devices

Personally, I would not want a Windows laptop with higher than 1920x1080 resolution simply because of the scaling problems. They're fine if you just keep it at 100% and never use external monitors, but running 4K+ resolutions on a 13" or 15" screen without scaling is not really practical.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Besides the price, the touchbar is useless and the SSD is soldered on which is absolutely terrible.
If you must get an MBP, get a 2015 (refurb is probably cheaper) model instead.

Otherwise get the XPS.

Ah, you must be talking about the non retina model. Yeah those are upgradeable but definitely haven't aged well. Probably running a spinner in there. SSD will help you immensely.
They have actually, as long as you replace the HDD for an SSD and use 8+GB of RAM.
It's not limited to 2012 machines though, you can even bring new life to even older MBPs. I use a Mid-2009 with 8GB of RAM and an SSD every day and it works mighty fine (I even run a VM, but since it's just a C2D I can't give more than one processor to it which can be annoying)

Loonz

Got a Mac Book Pro on 2013 as I needed an ultra portable laptop to carry around for my masters projects back then.

I wasn't very keen on the thing, but I simply couldn't find a Windows equivalent as good in everything as the Pro was. Very good all-rounder, at least by numbers.

It turned out to be the best decission ever. Such a powerful, easy to use, snappy, light, wonderful machine. The retina screen is still a joy to look at, sound is fantastic, keyboard is great, trackpad is out of this world precise and an absolute pleasure to use, battery life made windows laptops look like a joke, build quality is UNREAL good. Remember, I am talking about what was available in the market back then.

I use it daily since then and is as good as new. I can't feel the need to update really, it is that good still. Interacting with this device still is a marvel.

I have just very recently purchased a Dell laptop for some software I need to use for work that's only available on Windows, and man... it is such a downer. I can be so quick with the Mac and Windows just lacks the finesse by comparison. Especially if you are a a heavy keyboard shortcut user like I am.

I wasn't an apple believer at all man, but the Mac Book Pro changed that for my forever. It is the best computer I've ever had. When I use it I feel the freaking thing dissapears and I just... do stuff. Perfect man-machine fusion. Absolutely wonderful device totally recommended if you can afford the price.

Loonz

Windows really just needs to get their act together when it comes to scaling and high DPI devices.

They even have an article on their page about it, so they definitely are aware that Windows is shit at handling high resolution devices.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3025083/windows-scaling-issues-for-high-dpi-devices

Personally, I would not want a Windows laptop with higher than 1920x1080 resolution simply because of the scaling problems. They're fine if you just keep it at 100% and never use external monitors, but running 4K+ resolutions on a 13" or 15" screen without scaling is not really practical.

Very true, my Dell laptop comes with a 4K 15' screen and the way Windows manages the scaling of the HUD of different pieces of software in such an UHD is just... feels totally unpolished, unprofessional, disjointed. You have software that makes good use of the extra resolution living together with apps that feel totally low res.

And what's even worse, software from MS themselves that's not adjusted for UHD at all. And even pieces of the general Windows 10 interface that are like left behind and never updated to allow for proper scaling. It is such a mess man. I mean, I can watch video just fine, but the whole desktop experience could hardly be more jarring and just reeking of neglect.

Kysen

This was another huge issue I forgot about. Even applications you would think would support HDPi don't (steam) and look terrible scaled. I've been using a 2014 MBP since release and it was my first macos device. It has only crashed twice since I bought it, which is amazing.

A little update - seriously considering the 13" now.

Regardless, a spec I like (base everything w/ TB and only upgrading to 16gb ram) is nearly $1900 (but I get free Beats lol).

Seriously looking at the new 2017 13.3" Razer blade stealth. W/ a beefier i7 and 16gb of ram, it's only $1399 - plus it has ports, runs windows etc. But again, I feel like this is against my better judgement, as they seem notorious for issues and have questionable long-term support.

GHG

Do it.

I bought myself a 5k iMac a couple of weeks ago. I kid you not, it's the best technology purchase I've ever made in my life, and I'm generally not a fan of Apple hardware usually. This piece of kit has changed my life from a work perspective.

Edit: just seen your update. I meant do it as in get the Mac.

Top Bottom