• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gone Home finally coming to consoles (PS4/XB1)

Tagyhag

No it wasn't. It was $20 when released, with a 10% discount to $18 for a few weeks after release.

Oh my bad, was sure it was $25 because it's still $20 right now...2 years after release.

Honestly, it's a $5-10 game, that's the perfect price for it.

Oemenia

Banned
Can you elaborate on that? I thought it told a great story with a satisfying payoff in the end, without resorting to over-used tropes.

What about it is "pretentious"? Can you provide specific examples about what makes it pretentious?
Don't get me wrong, I will tolerate a broken game long as it has a strong narrative but this isn't one of those games. This and Dear Esther ruined my taste for indie games.

Hoje0308

Banned
Can you elaborate on that? I thought it told a great story with a satisfying payoff in the end, without resorting to over-used tropes.

What about it is "pretentious"? Can you provide specific examples about what makes it pretentious?

Don't get me wrong, I will tolerate a broken game long as it has a strong narrative but this isn't one of those games. This and Dear Esther ruined my taste for indie games.

So that's a no then?

kavanf1

Great game with a very subtle but creepy atmosphere.

I bought this game knowing little about it, and it's best played like this IMO. Even the posts in this thread are enough to spoil the game. Just buy it and play it, ignore everyone's comments. Your own preconceptions about what happens in video games are enough to pull you through the game - it's your own past experiences of previous "haunted house" games that helps to instill such a mounting sense of dread over the short play time, as much as it is the game's structure..

It was only after the end that I realised that the game had had me utterly gripped from the moment I entered the house. If that's not a good game, I don't know what is.

Wear headphones or turn up your sound system for best immersion.

Ekai

So that's a no then?

Usually when people say something is a pretentious art game and they'e asked to elaborate, they don't. At least from what I've seen.

I also noticed most people who said that if they did elaborate said so because it featured
a lesbian relationship
. Not saying that's how Oemenia views it but more often than not if people did elaborate on why they hated it for that reason, it was because it had
"progressive values"
, that all "walking sims" are not games and that they were tricked into thinking it was a
"horror game"
. Even if the advertising doesn't at all speak
horror

I bought this game knowing little about it, and it's best played like this IMO. Even the posts in this thread are enough to spoil the game. Just buy it and play it, ignore everyone's comments. Your own preconceptions about what happens in video games are enough to pull you through the game - it's your own past experiences of previous "haunted house" games that helps to instill such a mounting sense of dread over the short play time.

It was only after the end that I realised that the game had had me utterly gripped from the moment I entered the house. If that's not a good game, I don't know what is.

This is great post.

dLMN8R

Ok, but you didn't answer my question.

What about Gone Home makes it "pretentious"? I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

I get that Gone Home isn't for everyone and many people legitimately did not like it. But I'm not talking about opinion, I'm talking about explanations of specific opinions which I don't understand.

You do know that there were walking simulators on the PC before this right? Stop trying to just point the finger at PC users.

What are you even talking about? It's only been a PC game up until now. Who else should I point the finger at?

Furthermore, I wasn't making fun of PC users (I'm predominantly a PC user) but the group of PC gamers who think terms like "walking simulator" and "master race" are funny.

"Walking simulator" is just a nonsense term to denote games that sub-community has decided aren't "real games" whatever that means. It's reductive and doesn't actually communicate much, considering I'm sure everyone playing Fallout 4 has spent a significantly larger amount of time simulating walking than anyone who played Gone Home or Dear Esther or The Stanley Parable.

Joey Ravn

Banned
"It's not a game! It's just a walking simulator. Hurrdurr, master race."

See, I get it: a huge part of GAF hates PC gaming. PS4 rules, etc. I get it, don't worry. But you're seriously mixing two groups that have nothing to do with each other. The overlaping between the people who are "members of the PC Master Race" and the people who hated Gone Home for its gameplay and length is anecdotal, at best.

If you don't believe me, just wait and see how may console gamers ask the exact same question next month: "Is this a game?". Then come back and see how wrong you were in putting all PC gamers in the same bag.

Edit: Ah, same time posting. I still stand by my post. Also, see the reception of Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. The "hurr walking simulator" crowd isn't PC exclusive, nor all people who criticized Gone Home were PC gamers...

Hoje0308

Banned
I bought this game knowing little about it, and it's best played like this IMO. Even the posts in this thread are enough to spoil the game. Just buy it and play it, ignore everyone's comments. Your own preconceptions about what happens in video games are enough to pull you through the game - it's your own past experiences of previous "haunted house" games that helps to instill such a mounting sense of dread over the short play time, as much as it is the game's structure..

To add to this, I think it would be great if those of us that have played it were a little more liberal with spoiler tags, as
the tone of the game can sometimes cause some confusion about exactly what kind of experience it is that you're going to have. I went from being slightly creeped out to having a lump in my throat and I think that sudden transition in emotion really made the back end of the game much more effective than it would have been had I known more about it.

wipeout364

Did not enjoy this game. A big build up to nothing it felt like, and I regretted the purchase. It's not even that I don't like walking simulators as I enjoyed dear esther and really liked vanishing of ethan carter. But this is so boring and was so hyped by so many people very disappointing game. Maybe if I had gone in knowing nothing without the hype machine it would have been better.If you buy it try to get a deep discount like 5 dollars.

Walking simulators are a difficult genre, need to be in the right frame of mind, and in a mellow mood. Everybody has gone to the rapture is another game I am really having a struggle to finish; which surprised me as I liked dear esther quite a bit.

Tagyhag

What are you even talking about? It's only been a PC game up until now. Who else should I point the finger at?

Furthermore, I wasn't making fun of PC users (I'm predominantly a PC user) but the group of PC gamers who think terms like "walking simulator" and "master race" are funny.

"Walking simulator" is just a nonsense term to denote games that sub-community has decided aren't "real games" whatever that means. It's reductive and doesn't actually communicate much, considering I'm sure everyone playing Fallout 4 has spent a significantly larger amount of time simulating walking than anyone who played Gone Home or Dear Esther or The Stanley Parable.

Ok my bad, thought it was the former.

That said, I think walking simulator (While some people use it as a bad term) is a good word for these types of games, because really that's what they are. We could also use terms like exploration games I guess, because it's not like we can call them adventure or puzzle games.

Oemenia

Banned
Ok, but you didn't answer my question.

What about Gone Home makes it "pretentious"? I honestly have no idea what you're talking about.

I get that Gone Home isn't for everyone and many people legitimately did not like it. But I'm not talking about opinion, I'm talking about explanations of specific opinions which I don't understand.
Again this is coming from somebody who enjoyed Heavy Rain despite all its gaping plot holes, but at least it tried to string together some form of cohesive narrative.

Ekai

Again this is coming from somebody who enjoyed Heavy Rain despite all its gaping plot holes, but at least it tried to string together some form of cohesive narrative.

That's not elaborating on what about it felt pretentious to you.
....And honestly Gone Home's story is pretty cohesive and straightforward to me. You unravel it, yea, but it's not like any details are missing.

mcw

Good that they'll be expanding the audience. I didn't like it as much as some, but I did enjoy it and am glad it exists. Hopefully it performs well-- when the original game released it was clear that optimization wasn't a priority for Fullbright and I suspect that's still the case, but maybe it will run well on the new consoles anyway.

Effect

It's an okay story. Would not use the word good at all to describe it. Nothing to really get excited about. It attempts to present itself as being more then it actually is when it's really not. There is also
0%
replayability in the game. Honestly money is better spent on other visual novels or click based adventure/story games.

Hoje0308

Banned

I see a lot of words and still no answer to his question. Solid work.

kavanf1

To add to this, I think it would be great if those of us that have played it were a little more liberal with spoiler tags, as
the tone of the game can sometimes cause some confusion about exactly what kind of experience it is that you're going to have. I went from being slightly creeped out to having a lump in my throat and I think that sudden transition in emotion really made the back end of the game much more effective than it would have been had I known more about it.

Exactly, giving away the game ruins the central experience, which is primarily about keeping
the player guessing as to the genre the game fits into. I know I kept waiting for something horrific with every room I walked into, and that made me play very cautiously, filled with tension all the way.
Though perhaps that's because I played P.T. and REmake around the same time. :/

dLMN8R

I'm not asking why you didn't like it. I'm asking why you think it's "pretentious"

What does pretentious mean, to you?

How does Gone Home exemplify those traits of pretentiousness?

Is pretentiousness inherently bad? If so, why?

I'll probably get it.

When it comes to "walking simulators" though, the one that I want is The Stanley Parable. Any chance of that getting a port?

Oemenia

Banned
That's not elaborating on what about it felt pretentious to you.
....And honestly Gone Home's story is pretty cohesive and straightforward to me. You unravel it, yea, but it's not like an details are missing.
How do you explain it looking on par with Half Life 2 yet requiring a beast of a computer in comparison to run? Or why is that the short length of the game but ridiculous price-tag were glossed over.

And yet all the while Beyond got trashed.

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Probably the worst "walking simulator" I've played, simply due to the lack of payoff. But I'm probably in the minority on that one.
I agree with you

This was the most boring thing I have ever played that I've seen get tons of praise. To each their own though!!

How exactly does Gone Home not have a cohesive narrative? Provided you paid attention at all while playing and are capable of basic reading and thinking skills.

I'm really happy with how quickly "walking simulator" was reclaimed from being a pejorative to being a vibrant new genre (though obviously influenced by adventure games going back 30+ years).

JoduanER2

I enjoyed but after checking some of the reviews at metacritic i think its vastly overrated i mean giantbomb and polygon gave it a 10/10!! Gamespot and ign 9.5... Seriously??! Yeah great game and all but, to rated it with a perfect score?!!

A game with that score should be an unforgettable game, an all time great classic... Gone Home is that for them...?

Exactly, giving away the game ruins the central experience, which is primarily about keeping
the player guessing as to the genre the game fits into. I know I kept waiting for something horrific with every room I walked into, and that made me play very cautiously, filled with tension all the way.
Though perhaps that's because I played P.T. and REmake around the same time. :/

I mean, I went into the game assuming it was horror, and I wasn't disappointed.
I was thoroughly creeped out walking around the empty house, especially considering the backstory you come across.

Morts

How do you explain it looking on par with Half Life 2 yet requiring a beast of a computer in comparison to run? Or why is that the short length of the game but ridiculous price-tag were glossed over.

And yet all the while Beyond got trashed.

Haha this thread is great.

Dude just wants to know what you thought was pretentious about it.

I enjoyed but after checking some of the reviews at metacritic i think its vastly overrated i mean giantbomb and polygon gave it a 10/10!! Gamespot and ign 9.5... Seriously??! Yeah great game and all but, to rated it with a perfect score?!!

A game with that score should be an unforgettable game, an all time great classic... Gone Home is that for them...?

Apparently so, otherwise they wouldn't have given the game those scores.

Effect

The game's story is okay but no way in hell is it deserving of those scores. Not even close.

Karu

Why shouldn't it be?

Certainly one of the more competent attempts at storytelling in games in my mind. Not saying much, but still. Enjoyed it quite a bit.

Top Bottom