• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoNintendo: "Getting the switch at gamestop might be a bit of a difficult endeavor"

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I dont think Nintendo is in a position that they will undership the system if the demand isnt there. They know that alot of publishers are waiting to see the first month numbers to see if they should pursue Switch development or not.

This things needs a very strong launch, with very good software sales as well..or stuff like Dark Sould Collection and co. wont be turned to actual projects.

The advantage this time is that they are using stock hardware components - so gauging and adapting the amount of consoles needed for all 3 markets should be easier than with the WiiU.

They really cant afford to play hard to get with this system - enough people are already looking at a reason just to drop them forever lol.

How is this a surprise to anyone? Did people forget about the NES mini, amiibo, Wii, etc

Wii was the fastest selling system ever - coming from the Cube no one expected this type of demand.

Kinsei

Banned
Wait, did I miss something? Switch pre-orders are happening soon?

There's a conference on Thursday/Friday (Depends on your time zone) that will announce the price, launch date, and lunch line-up. It's only natural that pre-orders will open up once that's over.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Do they do Midnight releases still? I remember doing that, or was it like a 6am release I can't remember, for the Wii at a Best Buy when I was in college. There were like 100 people in line, I was somewhere towards the middle/front, but I think most people got one.

Nintendo makes some weird decisions. Best selling console this holiday season should have been the NES mini, yet there was none to be found anywhere.

I'm not too worried about the Switch being in short supply just yet, not until I know what it will launch with

Sephzilla

S1yJsgG.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Amazon
Target
Best Buy
Toys R Us

All viable alternatives.

Anth0ny

To be fair, that was their initial estimate and they've openly said they can up that figure. I'm thinking that this might be "wave 1" of pre-orders and they're ready and willing to allocate more units.

I strongly believe Nintendo is completely paranoid about not having another Wii U situation where hardware is just sitting on shelves. I remember on Wii U launch day walking into a Wal Mart and just seeing them sitting on shelves.

They want that Wii launch frenzy back. They want "NEW NINTENDO SYSTEM COMPLETELY SOLD OUT, IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND IN STORES" to flood the internet and social media. We got a taste of it with the NES Classic. If that means shipping less consoles at launch to jump start that hype effect, then so be it.

Im also in the mindset that I can just walk in and grab one off the shelf. In my experience, online shopping for physical games is unreliable.

HylianTom

Banned
How early???
Not sure yet. Right now, I'm thinking 6am.

My hiccup is this: the presentation will end at around midnight in my time zone. If it goes even moderately well, I'll be hyped to the point where there's a good chance that I won't be able to fall asleep right away.

Keeping an eye on the weather. So far, it looks like it'll be mid-60s. I have a really comfy folding chair if I need to get my ass out there early and just nap while I wait. (thankfully, I only live 5 blocks from GameStop..)

They're unveiling the console's launch line-up on friday and the system is out in March, probably will have the release date confirmed too. It's likely!
Actually, it is guaranteed!

In a presentation to financial analysts today in Tokyo, Nintendo Co., Ltd. president Tatsumi Kimishima announced that major details regarding the company's new Nintendo Switch home gaming system will be shared at the Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017. This will be an event for invited media, financial analysts and trade partners in Tokyo that will be globally livestreamed on Jan. 12, U.S. time. The presentation will include the launch date and pricing for Nintendo Switch, as well as a look at the lineup of games currently in development.

PSFan

It isn't fearmongering when Switch could clearly sell out 3m in it's first 4 weeks, and if they only have 2m ready for launch, they very well could have a production problem. You're in a thread saying "it's going to be hard to get" and I'm supporting that info with direct statements from Nintendo, yet it's just fearmongering? come on.

The thread is saying it's going to be hard to get AT ONE STORE CHAIN. And Gamestop never orders a lot of anything to begin with, so this really isn't news. Like I said, just fearmongering, like Gamestop usually does.

Feeroper

I can't help but think back to all the people saying that nintendos tactic with the NES classic wouldn't work and wouldn't make a difference with the demand for the switch, claiming it was not an artificial shortage but instead conservative estimates as to how they expected it to sell - yet here we are.

Nintendo has been doing this since the NES. I have been reading the book "Console Wars" about the Sega/Nintendo war back in the 80's and 90's and it is very insightful to how Nintendo operates. I highly recommend this book, a lot of info about Nintendo's philosophies are explained and surprisingly a lot of them are still in line with current day Nintendo.

Nope, still not getting one until at least a month after launch. I learned my lesson with 3DS, and if I have to wait a few extra month, I'll live.

mrmickfran

I have a feeling it's going to be hard to get everywhere.

The first Nintendo console that I have the opportunity to buy at launch but I won't be able to thanks to supply constraints.

HeySeuss

People still try to get consoles on launch day at GameStop? I thought everyone went to the big box stores knowing they will have far more inventory. I wouldn't expect any GameStop to get more than 20 consoles in their first shipment.

They seem to get far fewer everything in inventory than anyone else. I'll be lining up at Walmart if I can't secure a preorder, because I know they'll get more than anyone else.

I heard on Nintendo Voice Chat that Nintendo is shipping two million of these things initially...

...worldwide.

So yeah, I am pre-ordering as soon as a retailer lets me.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It seems like Nintendo is going to do the same bullshit that they did with the Wii in that they will artificially keep supply low, get scalping prices ridiculously high.

Not falling for it.

People still try to get consoles on launch day at GameStop? I thought everyone went to the big box stores knowing they will have far more inventory. I wouldn't expect any GameStop to get more than 20 consoles in their first shipment.

They seem to get far fewer everything in inventory than anyone else. I'll be lining up at Walmart if I can't secure a preorder, because I know they'll get more than anyone else.

Gamestop typically fulfills their pre-orders. They do have a strict cut off when they know they can't order anymore.

Kouriozan

Nintendo's strategy has been artificial shortage since Amiibo. And it drives up demand like crazy. Sell outs get media coverage. Disappointed kids get parents crawling over each other to buy Nintendo products

And they lose sh*tload of money to scalpers, genius!

It's irrelevant now that it's dead, but I remember when the Wii U launched, people were like "Geez, it's not even sold out. They must be doomed." And yeah, the Wii U ultimately was doomed, but it's like there's no middle ground and they're doomed either way. Plenty of stock, perception is you're not selling and they're doomed. No stock, perception is that they're manufacturing scarcity and they're doomed.

redcrayon

What benefit is there to going online? You have to wait even longer for the same price.
Not everywhere. Buying online will definitely be cheaper in the UK than buying on the high street from Game etc, with the exception of if one of the supermarkets runs a deal on a bundle.

Lren

Seems like having multiple links open is not going to be bad thing this go around. Wasn't quite worried but now... Hah.

They have a page up for other Nintendo systems, too. They're for third party sellers.
Amazon was selling those consoles, or at least they were selling 3DS'. Haven't seen any since all the holiday sales though.

Amazon also got some NES Classics in stock at least once.

Dunno where else I'd check online though if Amazon's not getting any in stock. Might just have to throw a pre-order in at a local store if I'm lucky.

Top Bottom