• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GoNintendo: "Getting the switch at gamestop might be a bit of a difficult endeavor"

Schnozberry

Nintendo never learns.

People want to buy your shit, this forced scarcity only takes money out of your pockets.

They had millions of Wii U's ready at launch, didn't sell them, and had to buy them back from retailers and sell them as refurbs at steep discounts from their company store.

Maybe they did learn?

Tigress

Is this just gamestop though? I mean it's nowhere near the only place to buy a console (hell, it's not even the first place I think of). What about Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, Target? Or is gamestop a pretty good indicator of how availability will be elsewhere?

They had millions of Wii U's ready at launch, didn't sell them, and had to buy them back from retailers and sell them as refurbs at steep discounts from their company store.

Maybe they did learn?

Well what they need to learn is how to gauge demand properly then. Yes, having too many is bad, but having too few will lose them sales. And with consoles you really need those initial sales to jump start your console (especially if you are starting to get in the downward spiral reputation of "no games" which if you don't like Nintendo games their consoles are definitely getting associated with).

If you don't get people when they are really excited to buy, at least a portion of those people will lose interest or find something else to buy with their money instead. Biggest rule of sales, get them while they are interested as people have short attention spans. It's why cars have packages rather than just letting you buy everything a la carte. Too many options and people go home to think about what they want and decide they don't need it (having packages for the options gives them fewer options while still giving them some choice so it makes it easier for them to choose). Similar thing here, can't get the console, you give them time to realize they don't need it or can get other stuff or simply just don't want to wait.

Take me for example. I'm somewhat interested in the switch. I got some bonus money from work I was going to maybe put into a 3ds and some one convinced me why not wait for the Switch? Thing is, I'm also interested in VR. Most likely I'll wait for VR (Fallout VR to be specific cause I wanted at least one game I'd buy VR for before I put my money into it and that was it) and put my money there but they could get me in all the excitement to get a Switch (patience is not a virtue of mine ;) ). I can't find one... well, that makes it easier for me to save my money for VR. So that would be a sale they could have maybe made that they would definitely lose if I couldn't get one right away (cause once I put the money into getting VR I'm not going to be in the mood to spend more).

I would love to pre-order this, but I live in Brazil and the cost of console (assuming US$ 300) + shipping + taxes would be around US$ 600-700 for me 0_0

I'll have to wait until things settle down a bit and the Switch hits Brazil's grey market.

I preordered it at EB Games a month ago while preorders where open during a few hours.

lol, you think that's going to guarantee you a console?

I mean, this shit happens everytime Nintendo launch something new now. The Wii, Amiibo, NES Classic and now the Switch. Game in the UK has had and continues to have pre-orders for it, but when the time comes, lots and lots of people will get an email, or phone call saying sorry, Nintendo didn't make enough so you lose out.

This happens every time. It'll happen again.

I'm gonna pre-order with Amazon as soon as it come available, but I ain't gonna hold my breath.

RPGCrazied

Wii launch all over again? That wasn't fun trying to find one. I had to call store after store, basically stalk the UPS trucks. Oh well, unless they have a Metroid game for the switch I'm not getting one day 1. I'm getting Zelda on Wii U, and Mario at least for me is not a system seller.

LordRaptor

I mean, this is a pretty convenient rumour for Gamestop, that you better all rush to gamestop and get your preorders in right this second in this traditional post-christmas sales lull period

boiled goose

good with gravy
So is it artificial shortages or incompetency at this point?

It's conservative production balanced with launch timing.

Opening up more production to satisfy initial demand is risky.

Article shortages have never ever make any sense. Nintendo is clueless, but they are a business.

Nintendo is overly conservative and frequently misunderstands the market, but they know basic economics.

I mean, this is a pretty convenient rumour for Gamestop, that you better all rush to gamestop and get your preorders in right this second in this traditional post-christmas sales lull period
My local GameStop is keeping a gift card for me that they can use to secure my preorder the moment it opens.

RootCause

I'll try my luck at preordering online. If not then I'll wait for the Scorpio launch. I know some peeps will be selling to put towards that.

Maybe they did learn?
If that were the case, the ps4/X1 would be selling like crap. The WiiU was the problem, not the amount of systems available at launch.

Cepheus

I'm hoping the launch isn't as bad as when I ordered my Retron 5. Funstock reported afterwards that they sold out in less than 15 minutes.

I'll be going to Game nice and early on Friday morning but that means I'll probably have to miss the presentation. I had a bad experience with preordering Smash Bros 4 from them, but I also preordered the original 3DS from them years ago with no trouble so I'm crossing my fingers this time. I might check Amazon before I head out just to be sure.

Kill3r7

Is this just gamestop though? I mean it's nowhere near the only place to buy a console (hell, it's not even the first place I think of). What about Amazon, Best Buy, Walmart, Target? Or is gamestop a pretty good indicator of how availability will be elsewhere?

Well what they need to learn is how to gauge demand properly then. Yes, having too many is bad, but having too few will lose them sales. And with consoles you really need those initial sales to jump start your console (especially if you are starting to get in the downward spiral reputation of "no games" which if you don't like Nintendo games their consoles are definitely getting associated with).

If you don't get people when they are really excited to buy, at least a portion of those people will lose interest or find something else to buy with their money instead. Biggest rule of sales, get them while they are interested as people have short attention spans. It's why cars have packages rather than just letting you buy everything a la carte. Too many options and people go home to think and decide they don't need it. Similar thing here, can't get the console, you give them time to realize they don't need it or can get other stuff or simply just don't want to wait.

GS is a still a relevant player in the games market but BB, Walmart, Target are also big. Walmart being the biggest. I would not be surprised if the launch for the Switch is similar to the Wii. Basically you had to wait in line to get a pre-order in.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I have had mine pre-ordered thru Gamestops website for a month now, hopefully there's no drama with it.

DJIzana

I'm so thankful I live a block away from a Best Buy worst case scenario. That and I have the entire week off after literally working a 60 hour work week hahaha.

Maybe they did learn?
Did the Wii U even have the same hype as the Switch though?

Switch seems more like redemption story imo, so I would think you would have some sort of supply out there. But I guess "sold out" makes the better story.

HotHamBoy

Pre order or wait half a year. Easy choice imo.

Yup. Just wait half a year. There isn't going to be much to play until at least then, anyway.

For those of us who already have multiple game consoles (PS4, Vita, 3DS and Wii U myself) there is zero reason to jump on this. So, so many good games coming out in the first half of the year that I could spend that money on instead.

Besides, it could end up like the Wii U where owning an early unit was a terrible experience because of the awful OS and lack of new (non port) games.

Switch seems more like redemption story imo, so I would think you would have some sort of supply out there. But I guess "sold out" makes the better story.

Don't confuse GAF hype with mainstream hype. I haven't heard a word about it IRL since the day the trailer premiered.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I went to GameStop last Friday to buy my PS4 Pro and I was told they aren't taking any Pre Orders yet but could be put on a list so they can call me and I can be immediately notified on when pre orders go live. So even if this was the case it's not possible at the moment.

kirby_fox

Banned
We know so little of this console and so many are pre-ordering or worrying about supply.

Personally unless it is super cheap, I'm not bothering. I'm hoping for a 3DS price cut personally.

It's conservative production balanced with launch timing.

Opening up more production to satisfy initial demand is risky.

Article shortages have never ever make any sense. Nintendo is clueless, but they are a business.

Nintendo is overly conservative and frequently misunderstands the market, but they know basic economics.

The problem is they don't actually satisfy their initial demand and people are stuck having to cross their fingers and hope they're watching some GAF or Reddit thread the moment an online store gets stock to get one.

There's being conservative then there's underestimating demand. I don't see how that's good for the bottom line. Look at the NES Classic, they could have sold three times what they have (easily) if they had more stock. I don't want to see a repeat of that here :/

Hazu

lol, you think that's going to guarantee you a console?

I mean, this shit happens everytime Nintendo launch something new now. The Wii, Amiibo, NES Classic and now the Switch. Game in the UK has had and continues to have pre-orders for it, but when the time comes, lots and lots of people will get an email, or phone call saying sorry, Nintendo didn't make enough so you lose out.

This happens every time. It'll happen again.

I'm gonna pre-order with Amazon as soon as it come available, but I ain't gonna hold my breath.

I made a 50$ deposit and I was the first one to do it so I'm pretty sure to get it day one.

Yazuka

I've had my Switch preorder at my local GameStop (Sweden) for a while now, was the first one to preorder I've set that store.

Loris146

That Wii U lady with her trunk filled is gonna be out for revenge.

Yup .

CEWKlMNl.jpg

HotHamBoy

We know so little of this console and so many are pre-ordering or worrying about supply.

Personally unless it is super cheap, I'm not bothering. I'm hoping for a 3DS price cut personally.

Agree that people are getting way ahead of themselves. This is the kind of rumour Nintendo needs to ensure big numbers.

It isn't going to get a 3DS price cut. I don't see Nintendo ever doing that again. I mean, the Wii U is their worst selling console of all time and it's still $300.

I'm going to assume the video is talking about walking into a Gamestop on release date and buying one with no preorder is going to be difficult. Nintendo should be able to cover all consoles pre-ordered within 24 hours of it going on sale.

Schnozberry

If that were the case, the ps4/X1 would be selling like crap. The WiiU was the problem, not the amount of systems available at launch.

I think you're missing my point. The Switch is getting low initial orders and shipments directly because of the failure of the Wii U. Retailers don't want to overbuy, and Nintendo doesn't want to overproduce.

Schnozberry

I don't know how you measure "hype" other than Social Media or something, and it's not exactly a sure enough metric to get retailers to pony up piles of cash following the Wii U debacle.

Hanmik

is this the same guy the article is based upon?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...amestop_will_be_having_statedistrict/dc76hz8/

I just got an update from my friend, as they had their meeting:

Friday pre-orders will go live, and you'll be able to pre-order the switch and games (no word on the online/in store pickup though)
Nintendo has only slated stores for 10-15 pre-order units per store (here we go again, NES classic all over again)
Breath of the Wild will 100% be a launch title.
Zelda accessories are coming out for the switch at launch.
Amiibos for botw will be out 2-3 weeks before switch launch.
A 3D Mario game is coming out at launch as well, but no name was given for the title.
Gamestop will be getting pre-order promotional material between now and Thursday this week for in store advertising.
Gamestop is stating a March 17th release date for the Switch.
Gamestop has the SKU's for the units, but no pricing from Nintendo at the moment.

Fortunately for me, I have a GCU account and can preorder at my local Best Buy, where I have never had a problem picking up new releases (which has not been my experience with GameStop). Provided the rumor is true, though, perhaps they won't have a huge stock because other outlets have it? Wal-Mart alone must get a lot of walk-ins.

Falchion

I found out my Gamestop opens at 9 so I'll just be there first thing Friday morning to pre-order it and then get to work a few minutes late.

Harlock

After 2 months of NES Classic shortage looks like all those theories of artificial scarcity are kind of true.

Yup. Just wait half a year. There isn't going to be much to play until at least then, anyway.

Both a completely new 3D Mario and 3D Zelda at launch is unprecedented. This launch should be the stuff of legend. Generations from now people will look back on Switch as a historical event in gaming and fond nostalgia.

That's my prediction anyway. This is Nintendo's final form, and they won't be pulling any punches.

Quoting this for new page:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...amestop_will_be_having_statedistrict/dc76hz8/

I just got an update from my friend, as they had their meeting:

Friday pre-orders will go live, and you'll be able to pre-order the switch and games (no word on the online/in store pickup though)

Nintendo has only slated stores for 10-15 pre-order units per store (here we go again, NES classic all over again)

Breath of the Wild will 100% be a launch title.

Zelda accessories are coming out for the switch at launch.

Amiibos for botw will be out 2-3 weeks before switch launch.

3D Mario game is coming out at launch as well, but no name was given for the title.

Gamestop will be getting pre-order promotional material between now and Thursday this week for in store advertising.

Gamestop is stating a March 17th release date for the Switch.

Gamestop has the SKU's for the units, but no pricing from Nintendo at the moment.

Top Bottom