• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good modern JRPG reccomendations?

By modern I mean 8th gen or 9th gen.

Just to be clears the ones i've beat that have come out in the past couple years

- Tales of Arise
- Shin Megami Tensei V
- Final Fantasy VII Remake
- Fire Emblem Three Houses
- Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
- Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age
- Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 HD Remix
- Tales of Berseria
- Final Fantasy XV

I've also dabbled with Scarlet Nexus but got bored.

Any reccomendations other than the above?

I use PS5 and Switch btw.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
Lost Odyssey (if you have Xbox and some how never played it, it's the best)

I really liked Diofield Chronicles recently, it has a demo too & gets some new/extra content next year too for free :)

Ni No Kuni Wrath of White Witch remastered is a really pleasant game too :)

Yakuza: like a dragon, so good.

I'm slowly plodding through Star Ocean Divine Force currently and I'd wait for a performance patch, as it's pretty dire. 😠

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Just to be clears the ones i've beat that have come out in the past couple years

- Tales of Arise
- Shin Megami Tensei V
- Fire Emblem Three Houses
- Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition
- Tales of Berseria
- Final Fantasy XV
- Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age

I've also dabbled with Scarlet Nexus but got bored.

Any reccomendations other than the above?

I mean hate to sound like JRPG normie here but..

Persona 5 Royal
Xenoblade 1-3
FF VII Remake

Those seem like the obvious choices. Remake can be hit or miss depending on the person but its well worth playing.

cireza

Lost Odyssey
FF XIII Trilogy
Valkyria Chronicles I and IV
Persona series
If you like strategy, Brigandine is very good.

Last edited:
I mean hate to sound like JRPG normie here but..

Persona 5 Royal
Xenoblade 1-3
FF VII Remake

Those seem like the obvious choices. Remake can be hit or miss depending on the person but its well worth playing.
Should have already mentioned I played the FF7 remake.

Are each Xenoblade game independant or would I need to play 1 and 2 to play 3?

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Should have already mentioned I played the FF7 remake.

Are each Xenoblade game independant or would I need to play 1 and 2 to play 3?

Can't really get into it without spoilers but at certain points it's a benefit if the player has played the prior entries, 3 has callbacks to both 1 & 2. I wouldn't say it's a requirement but I would recommend it.

The good news is there all great in there own way so you would want to play them anyway and all on switch anyway so it's no issue in terms of access to do so.

Skipping 1 & 2 just to play the latest with 3 is a disservice especially since most people I know like 2 the best.

Last edited:

cireza

Considered what you have played until now, I think that Persona would be pretty fresh overall. It should be a nice change of pace.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Lost Odyssey
season 4 starz GIF by Outlander

FF XIII Trilogy
Half Baked Boo GIF

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Lightning Returns. This game is a blast to play. Battles and mechanics are pure perfection. And the world is open without being dumb like modern open-worlds.

That's only one third of the trilogy and it includes XIII-2...

Thats like saying "yo it sucks major balls now, and gets even worse in the sequel, but don't worry after 100 hours when you get to lightening returns its great"

cireza

Is it like FF X-2 that we pretend it never existed but the combat is fun?
This is a bit the same situation I think. FF X-2 has great combat and job system indeed.

However I find that Lightning Returns also has a great atmosphere. I didn't care much for the story though.

That's only one third of the trilogy and it includes XIII-2...
XIII-2 is great fun as well. I don't know what issue you have with this game ?

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
This is a bit the same situation I think. FF X-2 has great combat and job system indeed.

However I find that Lightning Returns also has a great atmosphere. I didn't care much for the story though.
I see, thanks.

Might check it out one of those days, just out of curiosity. The story and characters are what keeps me from caring about the trillogy, so I might have to play it drunk.

The Legend of Heroes: Cold Steel. nevermind the fact you have to play 5 other games to comprehend the world building :D before starting up cold steel which is another 4 games itself... still some of the best story telling in a RPG ever.

Last edited:
The Legend of Heroes: Cold Steel. nevermind the fact you have to play 5 other games to comprehend the world building :D before starting up cold steel which is another 4 games itself... still some of the best story telling in a RPG ever.
I'd get it but it's 60 hours minimum according to howlongtobeat. And that translated to my slow ass playing style is more like 90 hours minimum.

cireza

And that translated to my slow ass playing style is more like 90 hours minimum.
Don't play Lightning Returns then. This is a game that requires you to be very active and optimize your schedule to progress. I personally loved this aspect, but this is not for everyone.

SSfox

DQ11 is so underrated man, idk or maybe it's just me being too much of fanboy of this IP

Also PS5R is EPIC.

And i freagging love FF15, i know this one got a lot of hate, i can see why but still love it too much, the character, the gameplay, the world, and also....... The Ragaliaaa too, the entire experience is just too unique, also i wasn't watching any trailers or footages of the game back, and i think it made my experience just so much better that if i've watched every of this stuffs. I just love the tone so much, even tho i think i would have like it even more if it was closer to FF13 versus.

FF7R is another big one too, even tho i preferred FF15 overall when it comes to pure gameplay.

Last edited:

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
DQ11 is so underrated man, idk or maybe it's just me being too much of fanboy of this IP
The DQ8-DQ11 hiatus didn't helped either. That's 13 years apart.

Final Fantasy even at is worst has always been getting western releases.
DQ It's one of those franchises that people don't often talk about, but those that have played usually had a fun time with.

Last edited:

SSfox

The DQ8-DQ11 hiatus didn't helped either. That's 13 years apart.

Final Fantasy even at is worst has always been getting western releases.
DQ It's one of those franchises that people don't often talk about, but those that have played usually had a fun time with.
Yeah, i honestly almost would never know about DQ franchise. Just bought DQ8 on PS2 just by curiousity "How the fuck and why the hell this shit sells better on Japan than even Final Fantasy and Resident Evil".

When i played DQ8 i understood
GCQSeFy.jpg

I even loved it more than FF10 that i was already in love with.

Chukhopops

Soul Hackers 2 is imo a great choice since the latest patch fixed most of its issues.

It’s also a good entry point into the MegaTen series since it’s fairly easy while being a little bit more complex than Persona.

Otherwise just go for SMT V but it’s a lot more challenging and a bit barebones story wise.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Don't sleep on Dungeon Encounters. It's more of a dungeon crawler than a JRPG depending on your definitions, but it's a lot of fun.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I thought Star Ocean 6 was good.

Fast + fun combat, fun traversal where you’re zooming all over the place with your robot buddy, surprisingly decent writing/characters that mostly avoids the tropey anime bullshit that plagues this genre.

It has a demo on PS5 so you can see if it’s for you.

Xenoblade Chronicles 1-3 (Switch)
Yakuza Like A Dragon (PS+ Extra/GamePass)
Dragon Quest XI (PS+ Extra)
Dragon Quest Builders 1 and 2 (PS+ Extra)
Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2 (PS+ Extra)
Octopath Traveler (Switch/GamePass)
Final Fantasy XIV (PS5/PC)
Paper Mario The Origami King (Switch)
Bravely Default 2 (Switch)
Atelier Ryza 1 and 2 (and soon 3) (PS4/PS5)
Ys 8 and Ys 9 (PS+ Extra)
Persona 5 (PS+/GamePass/Switch)

Last edited:

Paltheos

I'd get it but it's 60 hours minimum according to howlongtobeat. And that translated to my slow ass playing style is more like 90 hours minimum.

Do iiiit. Become one of us. It'll only take you like 1000 hours to catch up. :)

I've been playing these games on and off since 2018 - usually in pairs as that is how they are designed (with two exceptions) - and I think there's been some dip in quality but as far as modern JRPGs go they're still well over par and I'm still having a fun time.

If you're actually interested but are intimidated by the gargantuan size of the series, hit any of us GAF Trails nuts up. I know I'd gab on more about recommended play order and QOL patches if given the opportunity.

Top Bottom