• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good samaritan helping lost toddler gets punched by father, labeled predator online

King_Moc

Banned
What makes it weird is that 'stranger danger' is actually relatively rare a children are much more like to be raped, abused or murdered by their parents or close family members.

It's a shame that isn't reported as much rather than scare people with an almost non existent stranger danger threat.

I can't even remember the last big paedophile story in the UK. Rotherham maybe? It barely happens at all, and people are convinced to live in fear over it anyway.

I don't understand why the victim has to press charges for there to be an arrest when an obvious assault and battery has been committed. Lawyer/Cop-GAF, at what point does the state become the victim and can arrest for cause?

Why would you ask the child?

My instincts are to ask whoever is in charge to be aware or a couple if it is their child.

It's fucked up what happened but at the same time, what was he thinking?
Maybe if you see it happen, you can get a couple punches in yourself.
Stories like this make me a bit weary to bring my daughter to the park just us two when she's older. I've had other fathers tell me the cops came up to them in the park because one of the mothers thought he was a predator then gave him a hard time trying to prove it was his daughter.
I'm a stay-at-home dad. At best, it's assumed you're a divorced dad who has the kid for the day. You'll at least get some side-eye, though I've never had the cops called on me. The worst part is the kids often gravitate towards a dad because they want to be pushed on the swings, or lifted up onto the jungle gym, etc. I notice moms tend to gather together but let the kids play by themselves.
Obviously the father overreacted and shouldn't have physically attacked this man (or attacked his character on Facebook), but at the same time, if it looked like a stranger was walking with my child towards the parking lot, away from the location we were at, I'd absolutely assume the worst. So, I don't blame his initial skepticism and anger.
Why do you assume the worst? That's exactly the problem! Are you going to beat or grill the guy, call the cops on him? Or just say thanks and have a conversation?

I understand losing your child can be scary as hell. I understand that you should take as much precaution watching over your children especially when they are toddlers. But none of that means you go immediately punch a person you see with them. Ask questions and judge the situation first sheesh.

see5harp

The hilarious part is the people who shared the story basically blaming the PD for letting this dude go are now in the comments saying "Police officers aren't always perfect." Like instead of just owning up to the fact that they repost a bunch of dumb shit that isn't right they'd rather continue the narrative that this guy was kidnapper.

As damning as the police report is, it does feel like something is missing from this story. The good Samaritans actions seem a little strange. Why was he leaving the area he found the child in? And when the other bystanders told the father his daughter was being kidnapped clearly the daughter was within eyesight of the dad. So why did the good Samaritan give up before asking everyone in the area he found the child? Maybe there is some existing bad blood between the 2 guys.

Wait so in Florida you can just go up to someone and beat their face and not get charged?

You can beat up whoever you want. The victim has to press charges.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Thats fucking weak. So let the real predators get them right?

You are fucking hopeless.
Versus potential brain damage, either injuries, humiliation/ name slandered online, and chased out of town for good measure? If this is what happens when someone tries to do the right thing, why I are surprised when people decide to put their own safety and that of their families ahead of others?

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Well, yeah. I've moved. But moving costs a good amount of money, there are leases/mortgages to figure out, it all takes time.

I'm not questioning someone moving.

I'm questioning why someone moves because of an altercation despite having the police and press behind them. Add to that the fact that they're not taking any legal recourse against the other party - it feels like something is missing.

I assume the social media smear was the main motivator.

This isn't an issue regarding child over-protection, it's an issue of seeing all men as sexual predators.

I've had the police called three times on me while walking or at the park with my niece IN A YEAR. She's lilly white and I'm enormous and mixed so honestly I'm lucky I haven't been shot.

On top of that I've had so many nosy middle aged cunts legit try to take her that I keep multiple photos of her with me on my phone.

It's to the point that I feel like I'm putting our lives at risk going out in public together. How long until I sneeze when a cop comes and some fuck lights me up and hits her too?

Zoe

Well, yeah. I've moved. But moving costs a good amount of money, there are leases/mortgages to figure out, it all takes time.

I'm questioning why someone moves because of an altercation despite having the police and press behind them. Add to that the fact that they're not taking any legal recourse against the other party - it feels like something is missing.
You're ignoring the internet mob part.

Endo Punk

A nightmare scenario for any adult, another one being from a Danish film called The Hunt. When it comes to children it's best just to never interact.

blakep267

I don't understand why the victim has to press charges for there to be an arrest when an obvious assault and battery has been committed. Lawyer/Cop-GAF, at what point does the state become the victim and can arrest for cause?

Maybe if you see it happen, you can get a couple punches in yourself.

I'm a stay-at-home dad. At best, it's assumed you're a divorced dad who has the kid for the day. You'll at least get some side-eye, though I've never had the cops called on me. The worst part is the kids often gravitate towards a dad because they want to be pushed on the swings, or lifted up onto the jungle gym, etc. I notice moms tend to gather together but let the kids play by themselves.

Why do you assume the worst? That's exactly the problem! Are you going to beat or grill the guy, call the cops on him? Or just say thanks and have a conversation?
Well the Good Samaritan was brown and the attacking father wasn't.

The questions the eyewitness heard do not necessarily indicate the victim had good indications. Maybe he wanted to know where the parents were so he could easily escape with the kid without being seen.

Either way huge overreaction on the father's part since nothing malicious ended up happening. He needs to go to jail.

You can beat up whoever you want. The victim has to press charges.

I'll never understand this thing in America.

In Canada, the prosecutors are the ones who decide if charges need to be laid or not. The victim is just a witness; the prosecutors don't need their permission or anything like that.

That's how it should be. I mean, Christ, imagine how many domestic abusers don't get prosecuted in the US because their spouse is too scared to press charges?

Man, if I were this guy I'd definitely press charges... Not so much for getting punched, because, whatever, but for the online attacks of character.

Keri

My comment was very specific. I'd assume the worst if it looked like someone was trying to leave with my child. If you're leaving the area where the child was lost, it doesn't look like you're trying to find the parents. It looks like an attempted kidnapping at that point. But, as someone else said, that's just how the father explained it. Maybe he was exaggerating.

WaterAstro

This is why the bystander effect exists. People don't want to be hassled, and when they do finally do a good thing, they might be punished for it.

Mask

The dad honestly sounds like he's trying to deflect blame and have an excuse. Why was his daughter alone in the first place? Was he even paying attention?

Even after hearing that witnesses saw the guy was asking for his daughters parents and trying to help a lost kid, he still wants to kill him? Grade A dickhead. No wonder people don't try to help lost kids anymore if this is the reaction they get.

I can respect the not pressing charges over the hit (heat of the moment). But the father going and starting an internet lynch mob... that shit is beyond disgusting and should not be put up with.

Google

New job, new address. That would make a lot of difference. I really don't understand what you're getting at anyway.

To be clear, I'm stating that there may be more to this.

I don't understand why the person has run out of town. He (apparently) has police and press backing him. I assume he has a job, family, friends, a lease, etc. Why not get a restraining order against the family/father? Why not file an injunction? Why not sue? Why not any legal recourse? Why publicly announce you're not going to press charges?

There is a part of me that thinks something more sinister was going on.

Zen Aku

Why would you ask the child?

My instincts are to ask whoever is in charge to be aware or a couple if it is their child.

It's fucked up what happened but at the same time, what was he thinking?
Because the child would hopefully knows who their parents are?

If you ask a random adult "is this your kid?" What if that person is an actual child predator and just take the kid away? Then you would really fucked up.

Come on, that's a dumb question at best.

_Ryo_

Irresponsible man misplaces his own child and when someone comes along to help he assaults them and accuses them of being a predator because he is too negligent and stubborn to admit to his own failures and face the possibility that he may not be a good person.

Father sounds like he is trying to make a big stink out of this person doing the right thing to cover up for the fact his daughter got away from him. That and the fact he looks like an asshole for beating on a guy trying to help.
My guess is dude lost his daughter when he was supposed to be watching her and is covering his ass by stating something like this other guy was kidnapping her.

Exactly. And the guy's not even pressing charges for being attacked after witnesses confirmed he was looking around for the parents. Father is a loser.

HeatBoost

Parental fear is one of these bulletproof motivations that people can use to justify the most utterly heinous shit imaginable. When fools were (are?) sitting around a war room arguing for starting World War 3, you can bet they're talking about "DO YOU WANT THEM TO NUKE OUR KIDS FIRST!?" as opposed to y'know, wondering how those kids will feel about living in a radioactive wasteland.

And that's what it ultimately boils down to. Parents choosing momentary peace of mind over creating a better world for their kids to grow up in. Because parents know what's best for the kids right? (cough cough antivax cough)

Been in that situation and I didn't get near the kid. Let my wife walk her to get help and I stayed the fuck away for this exact reason. Kid was crying and I backed away like he had the plague. Did NOT want to be seen leading a kid anywhere.

Not getting arrested, prosecuted and labeled a child kidnapper. Nope.

People live in fear and this is the consequence. It's no way to live.

I'll take that over the alternative. An accusation like that even if false will destroy you.

slider

Stories like this make me a bit weary to bring my daughter to the park just us two when she's older. I've had other fathers tell me the cops came up to them in the park because one of the mothers thought he was a predator then gave him a hard time trying to prove it was his daughter.

This reminds me of a recent experience. Coming through the airport back to the UK, with my son and the guy at passport control was quite inquisitive. He kept asking my boy "where's your daddy? Is this your daddy?" Granted, my son is absolutely beautiful and I'm a bit of a ghoulish beast. But it felt very odd!

Loxley

The father is a monumental asshole for not even apologizing. He's also lucky as hell that the guy isn't pressing charges for assault, he could probably pretty easily sue him for slander/defamation as well since he had to flee town after being labeled a predator.

My life motto:

homer-quotes-help-2.jpg

Similar happened to my family. We were out and about at a tourist location, encountered a lost White child, tried to help and were greeted like kidnappers by the family.

Why would two Black adults who are with six kids under the age of 7 decide to kidnap a White child? It was a nonsensical reaction from her family.

Maybe he wants to avoid being dragged into a legal situation because of this event? You drawing suspicion to this guy is not helping the problem here.

Sorry should I join the internet lynch mob for the dad? I'm just try to examine all the angles. The story is a bit weird so I'm wondering if we don't know everything yet. It could be a cut and dry thing as well.

To be clear, I'm not saying he deserved to be attacked, because of this. He absolutely did not deserve to be attacked. But a lot of people in this thread are posting saying they'll never help lost children, for fear of this situation. I'm just saying that standing still and waiting for the parents to find you, while just keeping the child from running off, makes it a lot less likely there will be any confusion and you can possibly save a child from getting seriously injured.

So you're suggesting he should have just stood there for an hour with the toddler, hoping that his attempts to prevent the kid from wandering around don't result in the kid bawling her eyes out, at which point the father finds his kid crying with a strange man preventing her from leaving? Yeah...no thanks.

I think you're slightly victim blaming here. The man tried to help and get the kid back to her parents quickly and I think that's what most of us would've done. Now maybe I wouldn't have picked the kid up, but asking the kid to point out her parents was a sensible thing to do, and trying to help a kid in need was a decent and kind thing to do. The only other option was to find a police officer or some other person in charge, but this seems like it was a loosely organized game at a park.

I have to say that as a man I do feel leery around other kids precisely because of situations like this. It wasn't always this way in America...my family tells me in the 50s, even as late as the 70s, people generally looked out for each other and didn't immediately treat other adults as a threat. This sense of community and common respect seems to be breaking down, and our politics reflect that.

CSJ

Same here. As a single man I stay the hell away from kids.

This pretty much, there's so much stigma for an adult male trying to help a vulnerable child (lost/alone/crying etc) in some countries. This is a prime example of why.

Best thing is to find a women and ask if they can, because people are fucking weird about all of it.

Fury451

Banned

By glossing over the Facebook feed of the police department, it sounds like people got a hold of his personal information pretty fast and blasted his face, name and workplace out there. If that's the case that's a very good reason to move quickly, because now he's labeled the sexual predator and good luck getting rid of that idea even if you're innocent.

As far as not pressing charges, it's probably just a nice guy that doesn't want to disrupt someone's family. Personally I would press charges, but I could also see myself playing the sympathy card for the kids sake and letting it go.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I will admit as an adult male I've been in a situation where I spotted a child who was alone and no one was coming around and he was crying and I was afraid to approach to see if anything was wrong because there's a very sexist image people have of men approaching children to be predators.

slider

I'd think if I was worried about a kid like that I'd be outrageously loud "HELLO, MUM AND DAD... YOUR KID IS HERE BY HIM/HERSELF... I'M CALLING THE POLICE!!"

Edit: There was a story in the UK from a few years back where a HGV driver saw a young girl(?) on the roadside but, being aware of how people might perceive him... He didn't stop. The girl drowned in a shallow pond or something. Fucking awful all around.

Top Bottom