• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good samaritan helping lost toddler gets punched by father, labeled predator online

Stories like this make me extremely sad. I remember one time when I was the crying little kid who got lost. Family went to a store, and my brother had asked my parents if he could go to the toy section. I tagged along with him, but he eventually ditched my ass like every good brother.

An older black lady approached me while I was walking around and crying and asked if I was lost. We went to the check-out area of the store and stood there waiting. She'd ask me if the people walking by were either my mom/dad. Eventually my mom comes up running in a panic and thanks the woman. I was probably four or five at the time, but I've never forgotten the woman who helped me.

If that had happened today instead that poor woman probably would've had the cops called on her.

The initial reaction is too much, but understandable. You're emotional and panicked. But the fact noy only not apologizing but slandering him and labeling him a predator?

Nah you a racist asshole.

Fisty

The dad was probably in the parking lot smoking crystal. Easier to blame the brown guy, especially in Florida

louiedog

There used to be an older black man in my neighborhood who I'd often see with a young girl who looked to be white who seemed to be his granddaughter. One day I was a leaving a store when I saw them and she was throwing a fit the way that 5-year-olds do and the man's eyes met mine and the biggest look of dread came over his face. I can only imagine he thought the cops were going to be called and shit could get really bad for him in the short term.

Izuna

Banned
I find your stance baffling given how you just got taken advantage of for being nice to strangers. I would think you'd be more understanding.

I mean, I would get more people involved with the missing kid. But reading more into it, that's what the man did.

Bladelaw

Well this is odd. I've been on both sides of this situation.
I've been the lost kid looking for their parent and the Good Samaritan trying to find a lost kid's folks.

As the kid (5-ish) I was parked in a mall arcade playing After Burner, my dad said something, I missed it because my god After Burner cockpit cabs were the best. When I ran out of quarters I went to back to my dad only no one was waiting for me. I panicked until a mall cap noticed and took me to the services desk and put an announcement on the PA system calling for my dad. It turns out my brother thought it'd be hilarious to ditch me and keep my dad in the dark while he did whatever he was doing. That was a terrifying hour.

As the adult, we (wife, daughter, and I) were leaving the park when I saw a little boy just following us as we headed to the car. This kid was absolutely lost but didn't seem too bothered by it. In retrospect, I should have had my wife go with the kid but she was pregnant and it was hot out. I circle the park asking the kid periodically if he recognized anyone in any of the groups of people we passed. Eventually, we get to the bathroom area and we find the kid's mother who gave me a death glare the likes I've never seen before or since. The kid gets reunited with his folks (his sister had a disability so I'm guessing the mother's attention was split too hard). and I get a terse "thanks" before going home.

So yeah people get real touchy about their kids but you'd think they'd be a little happier knowing the stranger that brought their kid back didn't just walk off with them.

old

Sounds like the father is doing that thing where he stays on the attack acting self righteous as a defense mechanism against admitting he's an asshole.

Flavius

It's a shit thing to do, and nothing that father says will ever rationalize it.

A couple of years ago, I was at a fair with my family and friends. We were standing in the food vendor section, which was very crowded, when I watched a little 2yo girl with an obviously terrified look on her face wander through the crowd. I sat and watched while several dozen other men and women obviously took note of her, then went back to their business. Nevermind how pissed I was that people could do such a thing. I asked one of our family friends, a female, to walk with me to her so we could help. As soon as we started talking to her she burst out in tears. Within 30 seconds or so, her dad came running and scooped her up.

If I was alone, I would have done the same fucking thing...because that is precisely what I would want if I had a dumbass parenting moment and lost my child.

All of that said -- no physical contact (no holding hands) and no leaving the place where you found the child! -- a little common sense goes a long way.

Jeremy

It's pretty adorable how emotional you're getting over someone correcting straight up lies. :lol :lol Talk about fragile identities

No need to be so caught up in yourself that you lose where you're at and try to use ':lol', I finally realized the error of my ways Zaraki.

There were so, so many posts (almost too many!) pointing out things like "Hey, the men in *MY* country would never allow this to occur!" and "American men hate children, as opposed to Australia and the UK!" so I understand the necessity of taking the time to find studies from each and every country showing that, yes, this happens in other countries, and Americans are not so bad, or even nearly as bad as foreigners.

I'm with you guys. Please end the international slandering of the American male and what he may or may not do in the situation of helping a lost child.

Izuna

Banned
Because the child would hopefully knows who their parents are?

If you ask a random adult "is this your kid?" What if that person is an actual child predator and just take the kid away? Then you would really fucked up.

Come on, that's a dumb question at best.

Well at the very least, that's why I would ask couples.

jrcbandit

This kind of news reinforces the fact that as a male in the US due to the fear culture, you should never help children or risk being labeled as a child predator ;p. It also makes the China incidents more understandable where people ignore the injured and let them die on the street in fear of being sued for the medical care costs.

According to police the young girl tried to pull away but the man was concerned for her safety and picked her up and continued walking toward the playground, “hoping that he would be able to locate the child’s father.”

Yikes, if that's true then that's pretty unfortunate for the guy. You just can't do that. From what the article says it seems like half the bystanders saw the guy asking around for the parents and the other half are telling the dad he's kidnapping her. It's a pretty fucked up situation and honestly, as a new dad with a daughter, I understand the dad's initial reaction, but the battery and slander is ridiculous and it's a shame charges weren't pressed

If I were in a similar situation and she looked legitimately lost then I'd call the cops. I wouldn't engage the kid at all and definitely wouldn't touch her. Same goes for someone who was in an accident or was choking or collapsed. I'd call 911 but I can't say I'd try to physically help in any way. That's a fantastic way to get sued.

nkarafo

Reminds me of that movie "The Hunt". I'd be extremely cautious about helping a child who is alone. It's especially sad that a lot of fathers can't even walk out in public with their children without being accused.
That movie made me afraid of children.

this is one of the reasons men's rights activists exist. I don't agree with them on almost anything, but the "all men are predators" is one of the things they fight against and it's a fight that needs attention. I don't like being afraid of helping people out of fear of being labeled a predator.

this is one of the reasons men's rights activists exist. I don't agree with them on almost anything, but the "all men are predators" is one of the things they fight against and it's a fight that needs attention. I don't like being afraid of helping people out of fear of being labeled a predator.

Yeah no

When I read stuff like this I am reminded by The Hunted with Mads Mikkelsen and how I am avoiding contact to kids despite haven a small kid at home. It's just a recent fear that has sadly risen that contains to be accused of being a predator like the man in the OP or Mads Mikkelsen in the movie.

MartyStu

No, it is not. MRAs exist for a very specific reason.

The other--legitimate--stuff was picked up after the fact.

roytheone

If the online slanter ends up seriously impacting this guys life I hope he comes back at his plan to not sue and sue the Shit out of the dad.

Dart

Yeah bad idea walking with the child, should have just stayed put and called the cops or something.

Wonder why he didn't press charges, I guess he doesn't want even more exposure?

No, it is not. MRAs exist for a very specific reason.

The other--legitimate--stuff was picked up after the fact.

The thing is...I can't think of another organization that brings any of this to light. Society seems ok with making males villains in these situations. It's one of the fucked up things in our culture and there doesn't seem to be any push to remedy it. No one even tries.

L Thammy

No need to be so caught up in yourself that you lose where you're at and try to use ':lol', I finally realized the error of my ways Zaraki.

There were so, so many posts (almost too many!) pointing out things like "Hey, the men in *MY* country would never allow this to occur!" and "American men hate children, as opposed to Australia and the UK!" so I understand the necessity of taking the time to find studies from each and every country showing that, yes, this happens in other countries, and Americans are not so bad, or even nearly as bad as foreigners.

I'm with you guys. Please end the international slandering of the American male and what he may or may not do in the situation of helping a lost child.

I think you're a good fit for this thread. The father in the story accused this other guy of being a predator when he was helping to connect a lost child with his parents. Then, because he's unwilling to acknowledge that he made a mistake, he instead doubles down on that accusation.

Now here, you accused me of trying to dig up dirt on other countries to protect my fragile American identity, when I'm not even an American and am trying to demonstrate that this is a sexism issue that goes beyond American culture. When this is pointed out, because you're unwilling to acknowledge that you made a mistake, you instead continue to suggest - albeit passive aggressively - that this is about "the international slandering of the American male".

It's neat. We get to see the ego protecting projection mechanic that caused this story to happen happen again in a different situation. Like, you could have just ignored the responses and pretend that you didn't make a mistake that way, but nope. Got to double down.

Yeah bad idea walking with the child, should have just stayed put and called the cops or something.

Wonder why he didn't press charges, I guess he doesn't want even more exposure?

Back in grade school there was a girl in my class who suddenly started coming late every morning with parents crying her eyes out. At the time I remember thinking "wow what a baby" until I was older and became close friends with her cousin. He told me one of the volunteer basketball coaches had raped her at a practice one night. The parents were religious, but more importantly they were incredibly nice people. They refused to press charges or pursue anything because, as my friend claimed, they didn't want to break up her attacker's family...

Like you, I have no idea why this guy wouldn't press charges. But obviously worse things have happened that people decided to not act upon so who knows. It's hard to comprehend because if it was me I would be coming right back at him with the best legal representation I could afford.

ISOM

I think you're a good fit for this thread. The father in the story accused this other guy of being a predator when he was helping to connect a lost child with his parents. Then, because he's unwilling to acknowledge that he made a mistake, he instead doubles down on that accusation.

Now here, you accused me of trying to dig up dirt on other countries to protect my fragile American identity, when I'm not even an American and am trying to demonstrate that this is a sexism issue that goes beyond American culture. When this is pointed out, because you're unwilling to acknowledge that you made a mistake, you instead continue to suggest - albeit passive aggressively - that this is about "the international slandering of the American male".

It's neat. We get to see the ego protecting projection mechanic that caused this story to happen happen again in a different situation. Like, you could have just ignored the responses and pretend that you didn't make a mistake that way, but nope. Got to double down.

Some non-Americans on this forum have a weird complex about needing to put down Americans whenever they get the chance. Like damn, do you they look at our politics? Shit is not sweet in the states for US pride at the moment.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Some non-Americans on this forum have a weird complex about needing to put down Americans whenever they get the chance. Like damn, do you they look at our politics? Shit is not sweet in the states for US pride at the moment.

And a LOT of American posters constantly inject their country's politics and culture into stories that take place in other countries while simultaneously lecturing people FROM those countries about what they should or shouldn't do.

The sword of nationalist bullshit cuts both ways.

Jeremy

I only responded to that guy because he said you were correcting straight up lies. I could understand if every single post was similar to, "Men are afraid of the repercussions of helping a lost child, but this only happens in America and no where else on Earth" but it's fucking hilarious to see your studies posted in response to "I think it's a U.S. thing." I do feel like I had some personal fun at your expense and caused you to invest a little more time into this post (and how to create an anecdote out of it especially) so I apologize for that.

Yes, you are right L Thammy. As an American, I agree with you that there are other countries that experience the sexist phenomenon of men being afraid of the repercussions of associating with children.

EYEL1NER

Why not press charges, especially since they are keeping shit going after the initial assault? Fuck the father, the posse he rounded up in the parking lot, and his family and friends who are posting shit online about the samaritan.

Nameless

This is how I always imagine interaction with strangers' kids going down and why I treat them like little Plague carrying Medusas -- don't look at em, don't talk to em, for god damn sure don't touch them.

JABEE

There used to be an older black man in my neighborhood who I'd often see with a young girl who looked to be white who seemed to be his granddaughter. One day I was a leaving a store when I saw them and she was throwing a fit the way that 5-year-olds do and the man's eyes met mine and the biggest look of dread came over his face. I can only imagine he thought the cops were going to be called and shit could get really bad for him in the short term.

And as an older man in the neighborhood, he probably remembers a time in this country when it wasn't just internet "lynch mobs" exacting vigilante "justice."

Top Bottom