• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Goodbye Volcano High Review Thread |OT| Snootjob

What scores do you think Goodbye Volcano High will get?

• 30-35%

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • 35-40$

Votes: 10 3.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 7 2.4%
  • 55-60%

Votes: 13 4.5%
  • 60-65%

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 25 8.7%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 27 9.4%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 20 6.9%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 75 26.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Finished episode 4, which is mainly about applying to college. It's so boring it's almost like they have tried to create an anti-game, because they must hate everyone who enjoys videogames.

This is the part where Sage talks to you about transitioning, and the reason the conversation happens is because you tell them they can be a chef if they enjoy cooking. Sage's one personality trait is that they bake cookies.

Maybe...if they combined GVH's narrative with Saints Row 22, then....

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
8X8HCNv.png

Yes this is definitely how people in the real world sit down
Not really fair to make this comment.
The tail basically forces this hybrid dinofucktoy to sit like this.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Celebrating one week since I made the financially irresponsible decision to buy this absolutely dreadful game. I have an empty flat tomorrow, so will power through the rest of the game in the evening, and give my final thoughts.
Hurry it up now! Chicxulub impactor needs some motivation...

cfIHksu.gif

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I really find art style so ugly and I'm not even against animal character designs....just look at games like Fuga.
fuga-button-1628812671310.jpg
FYuawC_UEAAqTwB

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
LOL WTF is this shit? This isn’t drama, it’s more like an educational children’s TV show filled with overt moralizing?
Infantile people who've never had a smack in the face

Most of this woke shit is infantile nonsense. Find any gruff adult thats actually had to deal with proper hardship in life and you can bet your arse this shite doesnt appeal

It's mainly for young adults and mid twenty year olds who are confused by even the basics of life. Not knowing if you're a girl or boy the the time you're 20 odd? Fuck me :messenger_tears_of_joy: You work that shit out as soon as you've grabbed your knob as a toddler, anything else is a mental problem perpetuated by others.

Toots

Gold Member
"Wonderful teenage angst"?

"Chasing your dreams in the face of impending disaster"?

Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers
The whole excerpt is wild :
"Goodbye Volcano High is a fantastic narrative that provides themes and stories that are relatable to players of all ages and experiences. The team at KO_OP balances the wonderful teenage angst with meaningful storytelling, fantastic music, and animation that few can match."

https://www.sixoneindie.com/read/goodbye-volcano-high-review

Such blatant whiteknighting lies and still he's never gonna get his dick sucked by a girl dino (whether they exist or not)

PS : Of course he looks like this
aT8IAwA.jpg

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
"Goodbye Volcano High is a fantastic narrative that provides themes and stories that are relatable to players of all ages and experiences. The team at KO_OP balances the wonderful teenage angst with meaningful storytelling, fantastic music, and animation that few can match."

themes and stories that are relatable to players of all ages and experiences

Schitts Creek Laughing GIF by CBC

I’m not going to say that the reviews of these last few days have put the final nail in video game critics’ coffin just because I feel that has happened a while ago. They just keep hammering on what is a completely airtight coffin at this point.

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
Chapter 5 - this is the one with the battle of the bands, and as expected, the game barely functions when playing a song with more notes coming at you.

This is the first episode that has had any actual DRAMA, as two of the characters have an actual argument. Sort of, for a minute.

Surprisingly, the argument happens because Trish is being an arsehole.

The meteor is barely mentioned.

MudoSkills

Well, as if on queue, episode 6 is all about the meteor. The school shuts down, but a lot of scenes still take place there because it's one of the few locations they have drawn. You have your last L&L session and everyone dies because Reed is a very deep thinker.

MudoSkills

Well, for what it's worth the writing sort of picks up in episode 7 when everyone realises the world is ending and people start telling eachother to fuck off - which is actually incredibly earned given how irritating this shower of melts are.

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Well, it's done. In episode 8 they embrace the end of the world by organising a gig on the school roof. Do not see the meteor hit.

A largely joyless experience. Maybe 20 minutes of decent writing/acting in the whole thing, the pacing is absolutely awful for the first 1/2-2/3 of the game and it absolutely does not do enough to redeem itself in the run up to the ending.

The soundtrack is okay - if quite samey. The rhythm sections are actually alright too, if messy, although the performance is unacceptably poor - and they're a pretty small part of the overall game.

The LGBT+ community can't be so starved for representation that these dull puddle deep characters are doing anything for them that hasn't been done before, and better.

Final verdict: still regret

Kilau

https://www.sixoneindie.com/read/goodbye-volcano-high-review

Such blatant whiteknighting lies and still he's never gonna get his dick sucked by a girl dino (whether they exist or not)

PS : Of course he looks like this
aT8IAwA.jpg
He looks like the type to get arrested for having his harry loizides hanging out in public.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
"Goodbye Volcano High is a fantastic narrative that provides themes and stories that are relatable to players of all ages and experiences.
Yes this game is so relatable

an introspective story about being young, queer, and chasing your dreams in the face of impending disaster.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
They’re not. This is for people who are starved for REEEpresentation.

I've never felt as represented before as I have in this game. It's hard finding anyone to relate to growing up in rural Pennsylvania whilst being a pansexual queer twink plesiosaur. This game really got me in a way that no one's gotten me before.

calistan

Every time I see this gif I'm reminded of this classic Popbitch story:

A former drama student tells of the time she slept
with Tom Baker, who had visited the college to give
a lecture. She recalled his memorable quote at the
moment of intercourse: "Tom's putting it in now..."

Montauk

Hype for the 2,5 to starfield.

Always knew that snoot the hoot was the better game.

There’s a lot of comments like this, but that’s not how review scores do work and nor should they.

If you’re a reviewer you’re not looking at every game possible score and comparing it to every other games score.

Even if it was the exact same reviewer for any two given titles, broadly speaking you’d expect them to be reviewing the game on its own merits and deciding if it has done well or badly at achieving whatever it was trying to do.

There’s this bizarre senseless insistence from some here that any two different reviews from different reviewers of different games in different genres that may have had different level of success at nailing what they were going for - that those can just be instantly compared to each other and evaluated based on the review score.

How you guys don’t understand that one reviewer might like a relatively basic but well done game like some (easy) puzzle game with simple graphics and give it a 5 but also look at some some super ambitious, large scale RPG and give it a 3, I don’t know. One game was better at what it was trying for than another. But you guys want to flatten everything out and argue about why (usually) two different reviewers have held two different opinions to you.

I don’t know why so many of you can’t wrap your heads around that. I don’t know why so many of insist on talking about outlets and their many reviewers spreading over years or decades as if they are one singular entity.

Again and again it’s “i can’t believe two different reviewers at X gave game I like Y score and game I don’t like Z score, how does that make sense”. As if that argument makes sense, when it doesn’t.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Y
There’s a lot of comments like this, but that’s not how review scores do work and nor should they.

If you’re a reviewer you’re not looking at every game possible score and comparing it to every other games score.

Even if it was the exact same reviewer for any two given titles, broadly speaking you’d expect them to be reviewing the game on its own merits and deciding if it has done well or badly at achieving whatever it was trying to do.

There’s this bizarre senseless insistence from some here that any two different reviews from different reviewers of different games in different genres that may have had different level of success at nailing what they were going for - that those can just be instantly compared to each other and evaluated based on the review score.

How you guys don’t understand that one reviewer might like a relatively basic but well done game like some (easy) puzzle game with simple graphics and give it a 5 but also look at some some super ambitious, large scale RPG and give it a 3, I don’t know.

I don’t know why so many of you can’t wrap your heads around that. I don’t know why so many of insist on talking about outlets and their many reviewers spreading over years or decades as if they are one singular entity.

Again and again it’s “i can’t believe two different reviewers at X gave game I like Y score and game I don’t like Z score, how does that make sense”. As if that argument makes sense, when it doesn’t.
You are taking my joke way too seriously dude, i don't give a fuck about how much this piece of shit scored or how much starfield is gonna score, i don't give a fuck about any reviews scores if not as comedy\trolling material.

Last edited:

Montauk

Y

You are taking my joke way too seriously dude, i don't give a fuck about how much this piece of shit scored or how much starfield is gonna score, i don't give a fuck about any reviews scores if not as comedy\trolling material.

Ok well there are countless serous posts here making the argument in all seriousness.

It’s come up constantly during the endless arguing about Starfields spread of review scores.

GymWolf

Ok well there are countless serous posts here making the argument in all seriousness.

It’s come up constantly during the endless arguing about Starfields spread of review scores.
I understand, sometimes it's hard to distinguish between jokes and people being serious.

Top Bottom