• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Employee's Anti-Diversity Manifesto Goes 'Internally Viral'

Zoe

This article is kind of amazing.

"When I was at Google, I wanted to hire women programmers, but I couldn't, because I just couldn't find women with the particular weird skillset I needed.
Now that I'm at a startup and don't have to worry about that weird skillset, I want to hire women programmers, but I still can't, because we can't afford to pay market salaries (even though you'd expect women programmers to be cheaper since they have fewer opportunities), and women are energy vortices that suck energy out of a startup until it fails.
Also, as a mom, I want to raise my own daughter to be a programmer, but I can't, because she mysteriously just isn't the kind of person who wants to be a programmer. No idea where that came from!"

I dunno, man. I dunno.

She never said that, and she did try to offer hire salaries to female programmers.

Kickz

Most business analysts come from business school, not any STEM programs.

Oh yea I figured it'd be business related. But I guess its an interesting way to boost diversity in the IT workplace.

Interesting enough all the black/asian male workers are mostly Software developers

pigeon

Banned
She never said that, and she did try to offer hire salaries to female programmers.

That's my point.

Why? Female programmers have fewer opportunities. From a pure market perspective you should be able to offer them less for the same jobs. This isn't hypothetical -- we know that women do indeed make less! This is part of why.

Yet this writer strongly emphasizes that she paid these women programmers a "premium" -- more than everybody else was getting. That's very strange! Why did she do that? If these female programmers were only equally competent to everybody else, they would immediately be set up for failure, because they're getting paid more. If there's a problem somewhere down the road they will be the first targets. And hey, they got laid off for not contributing enough, it's like this theory predicts.

Has this article been posted yet? I thought it was an interesting take.

https://medium.com/the-mission/im-a...ick-of-our-approach-to-diversity-17008c5fe999

This is essentially the dirty secret of the tech industry, and its impossible to talk about because if you bring it up you are said to be sexist and no further discussion is allowed anymore.

I would submit its just part of the pipeline problem - women keep getting funneled out of tech at every stage from 1 year old to 30 years old, and so when your baseline group is only 20% the size of the other group (women and men) then of course finding the 10% of the group that is the absolute best in the field is going to stack the deck heavily towards men. Its 1000 men coders, 200 women coders, find the best 10, chances are they will all be men. Need it to be 500/500 to have a good shot at equality at startups and Google, Amazon, Facebook, etc.

The pipeline discourages girls at every step. Boy is into computers and video gaming at 5 years old, thats cool and his friends do it too. Girl is into computers? Eww, you don't want to grow up to be a nerd do you, nerds don't have boyfriends and don't go to prom. At 10-16 girls are discouraged in maths and some sciences (but not biology, weirdly) by their parents, peers, teachers, television, magazines, movies, everything. Girls are taught by everything they should care about taking care of others, animals, the environment, changing the world, etc. Boys just wanna play and code video games, race cars, and play sports and that is all heavily encouraged (to be fair boys are discouraged to be nurses, dancers, and other "feminine" careers).

Finally first day of computer science college classes, and a quarter of the boys are gonna be programming whiz's who have coded android apps and know perl, java, C++, can convert binary to hex easily and are incredibly intimidating to everyone around them. Combined with the coursework which is HEAVILY mathematically oriented the first year and it will cause a lot of people to drop out, including a lot of women. Sure, sexism and bigotry play a part every step of the way but this is not a problem human resources at Google is going to fix, its a problem parents and teachers have to fix among themselves but also peer pressure among girls has to change to not discourage "geeky" things. My daughters stopped playing their Nintendo DS's around 11 years old due to peer pressure and every kid's desire to be seen as cool by their friends.

Of course the sexism within the industry needs to be stamped out so girls who do graduate feel like its a place they belong and can thrive in, but just doing that alone probably won't change much.

wowzors

This guy grew up in romeoville Illinois and was endlessly picked on growing up by females. I am not surprised by this at all.

source my fiancee who went to school with him

Vamphuntr

This guy grew up in romeoville Illinois and was endlessly picked on growing up by females. I am not surprised by this at all.

source my fiancee who went to school with him

It kind of solidify my belief that people turn into terrible being because of other persons in the end. They picked on him so he developed an hatred for women. I'm not defending his garbage views at all as I'm just trying to raise the point that society itself is responsible for the creation of its own awful individual.

Koren

Yet this writer strongly emphasizes that she paid these women programmers a "premium" -- more than everybody else was getting. That's very strange! Why did she do that? If these female programmers were only equally competent to everybody else, they would immediately be set up for failure, because they're getting paid more. If there's a problem somewhere down the road they will be the first targets. And hey, they got laid off for not contributing enough, it's like this theory predicts.
Just a guess... Does companies have to pay penalties if they have a strongly unbalanced men/women workforce, or unbalanced men/women average salaries?

Because in both case, that can explain why women could be paid more.

At the heart, there's the issue of women and CS... It's most probably a purely cultural issue, but it's sure hard to bring more girls to computer science. And I've "worked" with a lot of different ages, from 7-8 to 20+.

Once they're interested in the subject, I can't say I see a big difference (best students are most of the time men, but that's most probably an issue of starting earlier and an effect of sheer number), but I wish it wasn't so hard to convince a couple of women to go CS.

It's always CS < Maths < Physics < Chemistry < Biology in terms of women/men ratio (the midpoint being between physics and chemistry)

Bronx-Man

Banned
Any dipshit these days can get famous these days just for being a dipshit. Amazing. Wouldn't be surprised if he already has a book deal.

Alexlf

Late to this whole thing, but listening to this I didnt know Engadget when writing about this they stripped out his references and then called it poorly sourced. Is that true or some Milo bs?

It's true, the actual document listed various source for anything that wasn't his conjecture and also had graphs.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
MILO Meets James Damore

GAF will like that.

Didn't watch, good luck to anyone listening to Milo for an hour.
Due to youtube's algorithm being fucked beyond all hell it's probably best not to link to white supremacists channels like milo's. Also...
llJdDKV.jpg

Top Bottom