• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google facing several billion dollar fine in the EU

Caayn

As European Union officials count the days before their annual vacation, Google's lawyers and lobbyists are hunkering down in Brussels, preparing for what may be a record EU antitrust fine.

"If there's going to be a fine, it has to be the biggest ever," said Stephen Kinsella, a lawyer at Sidley Austin who represents companies that have complained to the EU about Google. ”The European Commission has strongly signaled that if there is going to be a fine it would need to be at a level that would have deterrent effect."

As Alphabet Inc. pulled in $90 billion in revenue last year, any fine would be capped at $9 billion. But within that limit, the actual size of the fine would be calculated from sales in the market under investigation. Alphabet's Google division generated $79 billion in ad revenue in 2016. While it doesn't break out sales for shopping search advertising, ads from search provide most of its revenue.

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce in March called on Trump to "address the misuse of competition law by other nations that impede international trade and competition and harm U.S. companies."

Complaints about Google continue to pour in to the EU, most recently from publishers about Android software. And new fronts could open; Vestager tweeted recently that she'd be playing close attention to Google's new ad-blocking feature.

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...r-down-for-summer-fight-with-eu-as-fines-loom

Fine me if old.

G.ZZZ

So it's like they're paying what, 20% of taxes? Estimating they're doing slightly less than their total revenue from EU customers, of course. Still way less than they should.

Lagamorph

I've read the article and I'm still not entirely sure what they're actually being fined for.
Google are being fined for promoting Google Shopping was about all I could see?

Um...whats wrong with that exactly? That seems like fining Nvidia for not promoting AMD graphics cards.

Caayn

Where would that money go to anyway? Hopefully it funnels back into something useful.
It goes to the EU budget. So that it everyone in the EU benefits from it.

http://ec.europa.eu/budget/explained/budg_system/financing/fin_en.cfm
I've read the article and I'm still not entirely sure what they're actually being fined for.
Google are being fined for promoting Google Shopping was about all I could see?

Um...whats wrong with that exactly? That seems like fining Nvidia for not promoting AMD graphics cards.
They're being fined for abusing their monopoly. Google's marketshare in the EU is larger than it is in the US. Google has abused the popularity of their search engine to push their other products, such as Chrome, including Google shopping. And due to the large influence the Google search engine has it means that competition has no chance to compete. IE: Abusing one monopoly to create a monopoly in a different market.

NVIDIA is not in the same position as Google, hence why they wouldn't be fined.

Good. Google needs to be put in place about their monopoly in search and the responsibility that comes with it.

lol

Google would rather leave the EU.
lol

No, they wouldn't.

But splitting off those things makes little sense, as Youtube is not really profitable or preventing others from making a video site.

Occam

My main concern is that there still is no law allowing me to force companies like Google to show me what data they have collected about me and make them delete it if I so choose.

My main concern is that there still is no law allowing me to force companies like Google to show me what data they have collected about me and make them delete it if I so choose.
You can turn off the personalized ads in the privacy settings of your Google account.

Alx

I don't know how consistent it is at EU level, but in France we have such a law, that allow people to ask for their data, and oppose any commercial use of them (not sure about destroying them, though).
Google set up a service to quickly archive those, I don't know if it works everywhere : https://www.google.com/settings/takeout (*e - or maybe it's just for a backup of your own data, but it was meant to be an answer to the privacy laws in Europe)

Xando

I don't know how consistent it is at EU level, but in France we have such a law, that allow people to ask for their data, and oppose any commercial use of them (not sure about destroying them, though).
Google set up a service to quickly archive those, I don't know if it works everywhere : https://www.google.com/settings/takeout

If i remember correct Germany has a similiar law.

I know for certain you can request you data from facebook and apple so i'd guess you could do the same for google.

It goes to the EU budget. So that it everyone in the EU benefits from it.

http://ec.europa.eu/budget/explained/budg_system/financing/fin_en.cfm
They're being fined for abusing their monopoly. Google's marketshare in the EU is larger than it is in the US. Google has abused the popularity of their search engine to push their other products, such as Chrome, including Google shopping. And due to the large influence the Google search engine has it means that competition has no chance to compete. IE: Abusing one monopoly to create a monopoly in a different market.

NVIDIA is not in the same position as Google, hence why they wouldn't be fined.
Seems like a whole lot of nothing. Are they just complaining about the "Get Chrome" thing they put at the top of the Google Search homepage?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Seems like a whole lot of nothing. Are they just complaining about the "Get Chrome" thing they put at the top of the Google Search homepage?

That, and privileged treatment of google shopping.

RinsFury

Good. Bigger fines should be handed out, imo, along with the dismantling of the company. Glad the EU isn't afraid to take the big corporations on.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I have so much trouble with these laws, because it seems to not actually be based on anything other than local companies complaining. Meaning - a company complains that they have to jump through too many hoops to use Android, and that might be part of the fine.

But that seems bonkers. There is an entirely open source flavour of Android, and people are free to fork and do what they like with it. But what other companies want is for Google to essentially officially endorse their Android devices, allowing them to use play services and the like, even if these companies do not adhere to the increasingly strict requirements Google is enforcing on its partners - things like minimum specs, and device support. Things that they've implemented to improve customer experience.

What do people think about that, does that seem... Sensible?

Lmfao.

Pathetic.

Oh, those poor US companies. The Competition Directorate is such a meanie for not allowing them the same shit they pull in the US.

Poe's Law is in full force here.
I don't see how putting "Get Chrome" in the top corner of the Google Homepage is in anyway an abuse of monopoly. And honestly, I'm looking at Google.de right now and I'm not seeing either thing being complained about.

If they are dodging taxes that is one thing, but this complaint is such a nothingburger it comes off an as attack.
Leave their largest market? Where they have a 90+ market dominance?
It's not like it would matter with the internet being global. How many people actually use their country's specific Google site? I'd wager Google.com is far more likely to be used globally.

13ruce

Banned
Good Google ruins your privacy like no other and even target ads at you all the time wich drives me insane lol.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Laws are not so simple that you can just go to "Google.de" and say "Oh, I don't see this thing. Must be an "attack" then!"
Believe it or not, laws can actually be kinda complicated.

The EU would stop this bullshit real quick if America started fining European companies for billions as well. EU just continues to pick on American companies because they have an inferiority complex when it comes to the EU versus USA.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I don't see how putting "Get Chrome" in the top corner of the Google Homepage is in anyway an abuse of monopoly. And honestly, I'm looking at Google.de right now and I'm not seeing either thing being complained about.

If they are dodging taxes that is one thing, but this complaint is such a nothingburger it comes off an as attack.

It's not like it would matter with the internet being global. How many people actually use their country's specific Google site? I'd wager Google.com is far more likely to be used globally.

Google not being to operate in the EU would have far more consequences than "no country specific sites" lol.

It's not happening anyway.

And again:The fine is calculated as up to 30% of Google’s shopping revenues multiplied by the number of years of the anti-competitive behaviour.
This is about preferential treatment of shopping results, NOT the google chrome banner.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The burden of proof is on the accuser and I'm not seeing the proof.
You are also not the accused.
Follow the ensuing court battle and study the laws if you want a better picture if this is legit or not.

Really? I would be generally interested in seeing analytics of the various Google domains.

I can't even go to Google.com without being redirected to my local site, no idea if that's how it is everywhere

The EU would stop this bullshit real quick if America started fining European companies for billions as well. EU just continues to pick on American companies because they have an inferiority complex when it comes to the EU versus USA.

Gnihihihi

Xando

Except they also fine european companies but i guess you didn't put much thought into your post.
I can't even go to Google.com without being redirected to my local site, no idea if that's how it is everywhere
It is the same everywhere. Unless you use a VPN you'll always get your local google site

Nikodemos

For what? EU regulations tend to be stricter, and European companies usually function according to European regulations (because it's costly to keep two sets of operational procedures). Besides, European companies get fined by the Competition Directorate all the time, see the Auto Glass Scandal or the Truck Price Fix Affair.

The burden of proof is on the accuser and I'm not seeing the proof.

Really? I would be generally interested in seeing analytics of the various Google domains.

Clueless much? If you type google on the address bar it will automatically move you to local site. Can I even visit google.com from Finland? Not from my cellphone at least. It's google.fi automatically.

And Google is already getting fined, so the burden of proof is actually on you to point out why this is wrong.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

I don't really think it's as... Simple as that. They've been known to fine EU companies for large sums as well. And I have no trouble with them for issuing fines for tax evasion, for example.

Where it gets really weird is when they issue fines because local companies are like 'Google News is making it real hard for my local city news website to take off' - and there is no real... Evidence that this is the case, but they issue fines anyway. They're looking at doing so for ad-blocking potentially - where Google will be trying to reduce the amount of shitty ads people deal with, and for things like Android, where I mentioned above sounds silly.

I think there are legit reasons for fines, it just feels like a lot of these are nothing more than 'local companies are unsuccessful in the space that you are successful in, and so it's your fault' fines.

Just year ago EU fined European based truck producers € 2.93 billion for participating in a cartel.

Caayn

I merely used the Chrome example as a visual example of how one can push their product with another product.
The EU is really grasping at straws to attack an American tech company, again.
Jup the EU is only after US companies, you got them. Ignore that they go after EU companies as well. There's no conspiracy.

Joni

It does matter when actually receiving money for AdSense. You know, their money making ventures.

Top Bottom