• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google facing several billion dollar fine in the EU

gcubed

My main concern is that there still is no law allowing me to force companies like Google to show me what data they have collected about me and make them delete it if I so choose.

.. you know you can do that right? And I think a lot of countries have such a law which prompted the creation of those tools

I've read the article and I'm still not entirely sure what they're actually being fined for.
Google are being fined for promoting Google Shopping was about all I could see?

Um...whats wrong with that exactly? That seems like fining Nvidia for not promoting AMD graphics cards.
Going by the many previous threads on this subject on GAF, Google has a monopoly on searching in the EU because EU users do not recognize the existence of other search engines.

Except they also fine european companies but i guess you didn't put much thought into your post.

It is the same everywhere. Unless you use a VPN you'll always get your local google site

For what? EU regulations tend to be stricter, and European companies usually function according to European regulations (because it's costly to keep two sets of operational procedures). Besides, European companies get fined by the Competition Directorate all the time, see the Auto Glass Scandal or the Truck Price Fix Affair.

Just year ago EU fined European based truck producers € 2.93 billion for participating in a cartel.

And yet look at this article from the NY TIMES that is several years old and it makes it look like the EU is going after American tech giants and makes any EU fines on EU companies look like it is just trying to cover up the fact that the EU is just trying to punish American companies. The US has done nothing but prop up the EU for the longest time up until Europe banded together to form the EU and the EU pays us back by being petty and jealous: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...how-europe-is-going-after-us-tech-giants.html I don't understand how EU citizens can try and deny that these record fines paid by American companies is anything other then the EU trying to exact revenge on America for some reason.

Joni

My main concern is that there still is no law allowing me to force companies like Google to show me what data they have collected about me and make them delete it if I so choose.

.. you know you can do that right? And I think a lot of countries have such a law which prompted the creation of those tools

Indeed. GDPR is coming in May 2018 if you live in the EU and want to do that.

And yet look at this article from the NY TIMES that is several years old and it makes it look like the EU is going after American tech giants and makes any EU fines on EU companies look like it is just trying to cover up the fact that the EU is just trying to punish American companies. The US has done nothing but prop up the EU for the longest time up until Europe banded together to form the EU and the EU pays us back by being petty and jealous: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...how-europe-is-going-after-us-tech-giants.html I don't understand how EU citizens can try and deny that these record fines paid by American companies is anything other then the EU trying to exact revenge on America for some reason.

you could try reading the article you linked, since it explains that quite well.

Usobuko

Banned
Europe should lead the charge on all American tech companies so that Asia could follow suit.

The EU would stop this bullshit real quick if America started fining European companies for billions as well. EU just continues to pick on American companies because they have an inferiority complex when it comes to the EU versus USA.

Your post is a perfect example why Europe should not allow America tech companies to just walt in and take the market.

They might as well follow China example and for every amazon facebook google there's a Alibaba, Tencent and Baidu. All successful and billion dollars profit replicate and in some instance diminish NSA spying capabilities.

Inferior complex? Nah. America tech companies take the world for granted.

snap0212

The fact that companies are being fined is no proof of American companies being attacked by the EU. The article also doesn't say that. European companies get fined all the time - in the EU and in the US.

Play by the rules and you don't fined and that goes for both the EU and the US. That's like saying the Volkswagen Group is attacked by the US, because their cars are lacking and now they want to attack European manufacturers as a punishment.

azyless

Going after american companies for tax avoidance is considered a witch hunt now ?

Did you even read this article?

European antitrust regulators recently ordered Ireland to collect billions of euros in back taxes from Apple as part of a broader crackdown on tax avoidance.

The move was the latest attempt by officials on the Continent to aggressively stamp out sweetheart tax deals that countries strike with multinational companies, including American tech giants.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

"I read the headline of an article that didn't fully explain why it is happening so it must be a conspiracy"

Edit: "Revenge"? Jesus christ, no wonder trump won

gcubed

Europe should lead the charge on all American tech companies so that Asia could follow suit.

Your post is a perfect example why Europe should not allow America tech companies to just walt in and take the market.

They might as well follow China example and for every amazon facebook google there's a Alibaba, Tencent and Baidu. All successful and billion dollars profit replicate and in some instance diminish NSA spying capabilities.

See, my opinion differs on a website where all the user has to do is move their little fingers to different keys and type anyonebutgoogle.com in order to go to a competitor.

Kthulhu

Good. Google needs to be put in place about their monopoly in search and the responsibility that comes with it.

lol

No, they wouldn't.

But splitting off those things makes little sense, as Youtube is not really profitable or preventing others from making a video site.

I keep seeing people saying this, but I've never seen evidence of it.

Usobuko

Banned
Without Europe, these companies would instantly lose much of their value.

It is because of Europe mindshare that most of the rest of the world follow suit. America appeal alone will hardly be enough lent it weights to world dominance.

And these companies still don't wanna play by the rules? Lol.

Kthulhu

China probably isn't the best example for protection of citizens privacy.

Edit: also that wouldn't stop the NSA.

Ban Puncher

The EU is really grasping at straws to attack an American tech company, again.

pm4Vxv3.gif

How does that address what he's just said?
That there are privacy options within Google that do show at least part of it and can be turned off.

I keep seeing people saying this, but I've never seen evidence of it.
Last I can find of it is from 2015, so things might have changed. Seems they stopped giving info about it. But video is expensive, so the profit from it would be way less then their search.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
The EU would stop this bullshit real quick if America started fining European companies for billions as well. EU just continues to pick on American companies because they have an inferiority complex when it comes to the EU versus USA.

Wait, who has an inferiority complex? lol. Also, USA fined wolkswagen for 4.3b.

Beefy

😂

turmoil

Banned
$9 billion is nothing to Alphabet

At least it should be like 50b for it to be a deterrent against future fuckery.

TimmmV

This is like reading a Trump tweet lmao

They arent just going after US companies because they are also doing it to EU companies.

I'm guessing you think that US fines against Deutsche Bank, VW, BP are also the USA going after the EU then?

nacimento

The US fines European companies all the time, including for stuff which has nothing to do with the US, like the home companies doing business with Iran.

Micael

Good, it is a shame that these fines are always so small that they don't really hurt the companies doing these things.

Cool fiction, might want to pick up an history book on occasion.

Top Bottom