• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Home |OT| - I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that outside of the U.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nif

This thing is already amazing with Netflix integration. I can't wait until they expand on it.

"Hey Google, recommend me a horror movie on Netflix."

Netflix or Google suggests a movie based on my history and preferences.

"Okay Google, play it in the living room."

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
You guys who have it should check the r/Googlehome sub, it has a pinned weekly update with new features. I don't have a home yet, so I'm jealously looking through that sub

Also, I think there have been some bugs these last few days, especially with music, so you might have weird new problems

charpunk

So who got one yesterday and what's your impression so far?

My mom got me one as an unexpected gift and I'm liking it so far. I use google play music so having an extra speaker for that is neat. Being able to say "Hey google, play *movie* on netflix on my chromecast" and have it just start playing on my tv is great. I also have it working with my Logitech hub. For now, the only thing this can do is turn on or off activities but it's nice for shutting everything off before bed. Finding out traffic and weather information when getting ready for work without having to have my phone with me is pretty convenient.

Sound quality has been good and voice recognition has been extremely solid, even with other things playing in the background. Being able to just talk to it and have it figure out what you want it to do without having to issue very specific commands puts it way above the echo in my opinion.

NH Apache

Banned
Big initial gripe - can't do multi room sync with a home and a video Chromecast. I was under the impression prepurchase that this was a thing. I really purchased the device for multi room audio sync.

Other than that, neat. Only 1 day in.

Jzero

I was under the impression prepurchase that this was a thing.
Other than that, neat. Only 1 day in.

Nah they need to be speaker products. My Sony soundbar with Google Cast can do it but my video Google Cast devices can't

every time i ask it to play one of my playlists today it will only play the first song. Anyone else having this issue?
There's a bug that makes music stop playing randomly while still playing the song. Apparently Google just heard about this even though some of us have been using it for two months.

NH Apache

Banned
Nah they need to be speaker products. My Sony soundbar with Google Cast can do it but my video Google Cast devices can't

There's a bug that makes music stop playing randomly while still playing the song. Apparently Google just heard about this even though some of us have been using it for two months.

Yeah, super unfortunate that I had to scour google forums to find out why it wasn't working. And no capability for multi accounts yet, right? My wife and I both have google accounts.

Youtube Red for 6 months free is nice tho.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Just bought a Chromecast audio that I will connect to my AV receiver downstairs. Along with my Home, it should make for a nice and inexpensive home-wide audio system.

every time i ask it to play one of my playlists today it will only play the first song. Anyone else having this issue?

I had this problem the last few days, seems to working normally again.

RuGalz

Just bought a Chromecast audio that I will connect to my AV receiver downstairs. Along with my Home, it should make for a nice and inexpensive home-wide audio system.

Connecting to the receiver via optical cable and go to Home app to enable full dynamic range. In addition, enable high quality setting in Google music app. The final output is quite excellent.

crustikid

So who got one yesterday and what's your impression so far?

My parents got one. Used it for a few days. I think it's a very good device for what it is now. It sounds amazing. Of course, the voice commands are somewhat limited right now, but it's nice to talk to something instead of reaching for your phone. I do wish you could make phone calls from it since it has so many mics.

Hi,
I'm in Ireland, and from other most of the GH features will work for me I thnik. My question, is it just a cool toy or is it that thing you did not know you needed till you have it?

I have zero home automation lights/plug neither have I chrome for TV.

Hi,
I'm in Ireland, and from other most of the GH features will work for me I thnik. My question, is it just a cool toy or is it that thing you did not know you needed till you have it?

Unless you have auto stuff or a special need, it is a toy that plays music and answers questions.

I gave a couple away for christmas, one to my mother and stepfather-he has had parkinsons' for a few years and is now fumbling with things pretty badly, so voice activated music is awesome. Another I gave to my pregnant sister for when she has her hands full of a baby in a few months-would have loved for something like this when my kids were infants.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Hi,

Frankly, I just use it for music and checking the weather. That's it. Kind of boring but for $80 I paid for mine, it's fine.

Jzero

GLcVH3d.jpg

uQ9cEDZ.jpg

rUj9AjB.jpg

Bought the white Home base while it was 50% off. Looks pretty good.

blitz64

What? Do you just tell google home buy toilet paper from Costco and it just works?

Yes. I just tested it.

"ok google, buy toilet paper"

"we found Charmin toilet paper from Costco for $18.21. Do you want to buy it?"

"yes"

ordered, then i went to my email account to cancel the order.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Now available in the uk - just got an email from maplin

Not sure what it'll do that my echo won't (although not constantly answering to my sons name might be helpful).

Now available in the uk - just got an email from maplin

Not sure what it'll do that my echo won't (although not constantly answering to my sons name might be helpful).

I have both and the Amazon Echo is a much better device in sound quality, microphoen quality, voice recognition, and functionality.

My home randomly played a YouTube song in our living room last night at about 1030. Very weird,a song that my daughter likes. Wonder if that request was just hung up in the cloud for four hours or something. No one was in the room at the time....Spooky. I unplugged her at that point.

I'm getting a free one for buying an LG G6. Supposed to ship soon. Might also get some smart bulbs for my breakfast bar area since they're conveniently placed and will be above where I put my Home.

Hopefully you can disable services you don't want to use. I only want to use Spotify for music and not Google/YouTube.

Jzero

Bluetooth support is being added. Thank god, that's mainly the reason I didn't use it for music.

A lot of other cool features too.

gcubed

Bluetooth support is being added. Thank god, that's mainly the reason I didn't use it for music.

A lot of other cool features too.

is there an actual music app that doesn't support casting? Why would you want to use shitty bluetooth?

It's embarrassing how little support and updates this has gotten in the past year. Truly laughable when all they need to do, at minimum, is ape Alexa's feature set.

Jzero

It's embarrassing how little support and updates this has gotten in the past year. Truly laughable when all they need to do, at minimum, is ape Alexa's feature set.

Yet it's still way better than my useless Echo Dot. Alexa's favorite phrases are "I'm sorry, I don't understand the question" and "Try again later"
Stupid thing can't even change my hue lights correctly while Home does it flawlessly.

Can't believe how long I've been waiting for the Yale Linus to release. I really need to replace my front door lock with a key pad entry but everything I've seen isn't where I want it to be tech wise or hideous (august hockey puck and keypad separate)

Come on, I willl pay hundreds for this lock if you release it.

MrBS

This has been for a couple weeks in Australia and I picked one up yesterday. MrsBS and I had fun asking questions and getting it to stream various media and our accents are not a problem. It's nifty but more a toy than a go to device at the moment, I must find more stuff to do with this thing.

Ashhong

Google Home just added VOIP. It's pretty awesome. Doesn't need to connect to my phone or anything. I just said Ok Google, call mom cell and bam! Connected my Apple contacts to my Google contacts and voila

edit: wtf it also just added bluetooth?!

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Just saw this thread and its scary title and figured I should ask here.

I wanted to buy my sister a birthday present and I was thinking about Google Home or maybe Amazon Echo.
She uses Netflix, Spotify, has a Chromecast and an Android. She loves everything Google.
However she (and I) live in Israel, so what exactly will not work with Google Home? Will some of it work with Amazon Echo?

We have an Amazon Echo in the office and it works splendidly in understanding everyone even when it's loud and the speaker is pretty good. Can I expect similar quality from Google Home?

If she already has good speaker, is it maybe better to get an Amazon Echo Dot?

EDIT: Buying it shouldn't be a problem, I'll get someone to fetch it from the US.

RuGalz

Just saw this thread and its scary title and figured I should ask here.

I wanted to buy my sister a birthday present and I was thinking about Google Home or maybe Amazon Echo.
She uses Netflix, Spotify, has a Chromecast and an Android. She loves everything Google.
However she (and I) live in Israel, so what exactly will not work with Google Home? Will some of it work with Amazon Echo?

We have an Amazon Echo in the office and it works splendidly in understanding everyone even when it's loud and the speaker is pretty good. Can I expect similar quality from Google Home?

If she already has good speaker, is it maybe better to get an Amazon Echo Dot?

EDIT: Buying it shouldn't be a problem, I'll get someone to fetch it from the US.

You might want to do more searches to see how well Google Home works in unsupported area. But I did see this one post claims that it works perfectly in Isreal: https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/googlehome/r3TpswFvEY8/CmUvvigmAQAJ

In a lot of cases, it seems like you have to set the phone to supported region and language for the Google Home app to work.

I only have Dot to compare with but it has more trouble understanding me than Home and just generally a bit less intelligent. I use Home with chromecast audio to play music on my entertainment system all the time, so if Home works well in Isreal it seems like a better choice for someone also owns Chromecast. But if you want to play music through the device to a bluetooth speaker, then Home can't do that but Echo/Dot can. It really boils down to usage patterns.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
You might want to do more searches to see how well Google Home works in unsupported area. But I did see this one post claims that it works perfectly in Isreal: https://productforums.google.com/d/msg/googlehome/r3TpswFvEY8/CmUvvigmAQAJ

In a lot of cases, it seems like you have to set the phone to supported region and language for the Google Home app to work.

I only have Dot to compare with but it has more trouble understanding me than Home and just generally a bit less intelligent. I use Home with chromecast audio to play music on my entertainment system all the time, so if Home works well in Isreal it seems like a better choice for someone also owns Chromecast. But if you want to play music through the device to a bluetooth speaker, then Home can't do that but Echo/Dot can. It really boils down to usage patterns.

I talked to my boss and the office will just give me the Google Home once we're done with research so I guess that's decided for me. I'll see if things work well in Israel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom