• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google is rolling out "Google Play Games on PC" to Japan and Europe.

https://www.iol.co.za/technology/ga...ountries-401426aa-8c3a-5bf6-b7ef-ac5364b21106
Google is bringing Play Games on PC to more regions.
Japan and some countries in Europe will soon be able to use the PC application for browsing, downloading, and playing select mobile games on a Windows desktop or laptop.

In a blog post, the tech giant said: “Google Play Games on PC is expanding to more regions and including more games loved by billions of users worldwide.

"With a catalogue of top-tier games and over 10 billion monthly sessions on mobile, our users have met this product with enthusiasm for its high-quality, high-performance emulation and cross-screen gameplay.“

It will also see the arrival of new titles “Garena Free Fire”, “Ludo King”, and “MapleStory M”.

Meanwhile, Google is also set to give users a “unique next generation Player ID that will remain consistent regardless of the device or platform a user plays a game on, but which will vary from game to game”.

Arjun Dayal, director at Google Play Game, commented: “With over two billion gamer profiles, Play Games Services stands at the core of ensuring seamless continuity across devices for Google Play Games.”

Google is releasing their "Google Play on PC" program to more countries, which shows the are taking their new strategy as being a gaming platform service to compete with apps like Steam, Seriously. Or at least it seems that way for now.

People in Europe and Japan will be able to do what they have always wanted, play their favorite mobile game experience on their laptop and desktop PC computers. No longer will you be confined to a phone or have to download clunky software that only works for a select few games, you can play the mobile industries best games right on your computer screen.

With such amazing games on the Play Store, I'm not sure how Steam can compete. The only way I can see that happening if if they keep doing what they are doing now. But that won't be easy. Google is very crafty and often sabotages their own strategies and leaves without any action by competitors, and there's a good chance that may happen again just like with Google Glass which they just discontinued, so with that kind of cleverness Valve needs to be careful, or the company may possibly avoid trouble.

Skifi28

With such amazing games on the Play Store, I'm not sure how Steam can compete.
DBEBMVT.jpg

Ozriel

M$FT
With such amazing games on the Play Store, I'm not sure how Steam can compete. The only way I can see that happening if if they keep doing what they are doing now. But that won't be easy. Google is very crafty and often sabotages their own strategies and leaves without any action by competitors, and there's a good chance that may happen again just like with Google Glass which they just discontinued, so with that kind of cleverness Valve needs to be careful, or the company may possibly avoid trouble.

Was this really necessary?

Ozriel

M$FT
Could this outlast Stadia?

It’s basically just the Android store for Android games on PC, so it’s pretty much going to be there for a long time to come.

There’s other popular stuff like Bluestacks people use to get Android games running on Windows, but this is Google trying to steer everyone to their own solution instead.

It’s not something I’ll ever use myself, but the market is there.

recursive

bvtOSGO.jpg

JimboJones

I thought Microsoft was including Android App support natively in Windows 11, is this basically the same but linked to your Google account or something?

Ozriel

M$FT
I mean, Epic gave a buncho of games (indie, AAA, AA) and had better deals with the cupons than Steam but I think we can agree that I didn't dent Valve empire...

I don’t believe Google plans or expects to use this to dent Valve’s empire. Different target audience.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don’t believe Google plans or expects to use this to dent Valve’s empire. Different target audience.
Yeah more likely to cover off any move by MS to come back into the mobile space by offering seamless access to games you've bought on Google Play across Android, ChromeOS Windows (and maybe eventually MacOS?). Makes sense.

wolffy71

Banned
We can all pretend mobile games aren't making bazillion of dollars.

You may or may not like mobile games but a significant amount of gaming investments are going there.

Fuz

Banned
The only reason to play a mobile game, is because it's on a phone.

Ok, DissidiaFFOO is awesome and I would play it on PC too. [/ISPOILER]

BlackTron

Wow even Google is jumping on the PC bandwagon.

I kinda expect it to suck but there are a lot of actually really good games trapped on mobile. Thing is if they are just cherry-picking titles to support it probably won't be that great. I mean you most likely will not be able to play the definitive Android port of Sonic 2 on your PC using this.

They need better title and feature support otherwise people are going to keep using emulators like Bluestacks, Nox, Mumu, etc. Most of which also include things like controller support, touch screen remapping, macros, and multiple instances (for people that like to reroll in gacha or play multiple games at once).

There is a market for this because despite the games being made for mobile by design, there are some games where the experience can be enhanced by playing on a larger screen or having more utilities.

I don't think they are trying to compete with Steam at all. They are playing a completely different ballgame.

Sophist

Dragon quest 4 on Android is the best version for non-japanese speakers. It has the party chat and remastered soundtracks, unlike the DS version.

Last edited:

Shubh_C63

You underestimate how many old parents and non-tech savy woman play mobile games on desktops.
But no way Google can make that visibility known without integrating it with Windows Store or Windows itself.

reksveks

You underestimate how many old parents and non-tech savy woman play mobile games on desktops.
But no way Google can make that visibility known without integrating it with Windows Store or Windows itself.
I do think it's harder if you ain't the platform holder but they do have the biggest advertising platforms in the world and/including Chrome.

I haven't seen much questioning of the reasoning but I will just add.. When you get this big, a part of the bigger game is how much increased engagement can you drive.

They need better title and feature support otherwise people are going to keep using emulators like Bluestacks, Nox, Mumu, etc. Most of which also include things like controller support, touch screen remapping, macros, and multiple instances (for people that like to reroll in gacha or play multiple games at once).

It's still in beta and started on select Chromebooks and is slowly making it's way to PC's, probably a long way of having the support and features as the apps you mentioned.

Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't have this plays store PC idea on Chromebooks sooner when they were releasing those Acer(asus?) and Lenovo gaming Chromebooks few years back.

FrozenFlame

You missed my point. Most PC gamers won't use another service because the games are cheaper (or free). So indies being cheaper won't be a big selling point as it was mentioned.

Also, you're right, different audience. Mobile gaming is successful because, well, is easy to grab and play due to the platform. You can play those games whenever and wherever.

Last edited:
You missed my point. Most PC gamers won't use another service because the games are cheaper (or free). So indies being cheaper won't be a big selling point as it was mentioned.

Also, you're right, different audience. Mobile gaming is successful because, well, is easy to grab and play due to the platform. You can play those games whenever and wherever.
It's not going to directly compete with Steam and since it's more of a supplement to an already existing service, it's success doesn't hinge on it taking away Steam's userbase. What it would most likely do is eliminate the need to double dip. There are already games that support cross-save and I'm sure not going to say no to cross-buy.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Google: "Stadia failed but PC gaming is quite popular... And we have thousands of games on Android!.. Yes, this must work wonders, that's what people want, games"

I'll probably be playing LoL Wild Rift though, if it has controller support.

Holammer

With Apple being forced to allow third-party app stores and payment systems, what's stopping Microsoft store or Steam on iOS devices? Nothing.
I wouldn't be to surprised if we also see more GooglePlayGames type systems from everyone, including Valve and every Chinese tech giant soon.

Top Bottom