• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google Pixel | The Review Thread: Brought to you by Google and viewers like you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thespot84

the absolutist pontification about these phones is hilarious, it never changes. Waterproofing isn't important to everyone, neither is sd storage. Then people say "why should I upgrade from my current flagship?" You shouldn't, for people with old phones considering an upgrade the pixels is very compelling, it's not the jesus phone, no p[hone ever will be

"The sky-high price feels more like a marketing ploy ("We're just as good as the iPhone!") than a justifiable price point.
•The single speaker is a big downgrade from the Nexus 6P. Google is charging more and delivering less.
•A rear glass panel adds fragility and ugliness in exchange for... nothing? Just use metal.
•Other devices at this price point from Samsung and Apple are "dunkable" in water with IP68 rating. The Pixels are not.
•Still no SD card slot even though Google made SD cards much more usable in Android 6.0."

Premium phone without premium features, even Iphone has *waterproof* protection, after having a mobile with one im not going back.

iPhone was considered premium and didn't have most of those features you listed for years. And it isn't about hardware or fancy gimmicks. If Google can get android experience that performs the same from the day you bought it to 8 months down the line then they did a very good job. I'm not interested in gimmicks. Performance is the big issue for me when it comes to Android phones. Hopefully google change that.

Anyway excited to see it tomorrow. Got a iPhone 7 plus for work, so going to put the XL camera to work tomorrow.

garath

I'm posting from my pixel xl right now. The thing is smooooth.

I'm coming from a 3.5 year old droid though so I suspect any modern phone would be a huge upgrade. I'll use it some more and post some more impressions.

After an hour though I'm very impressed at the speed, the screen and the camera. Big big steps up for me.

Klotera

The whole Android "jank" argument is so weird. I always notice jank on iOS even though people say it's smooth.

Same here. I carry an iPhone 6 for work and it's perfectly serviceable, but I never noticed it being worlds smoother than my S6 or S7. I've had the occasional hiccup that people seem to think iOS never gets.

NotBacon

Wired journalist posted a gallery of photos taken with the Pixel.
https://goo.gl/photos/CZsXMwFyhtGG2NmT6

Got damn

the absolutist pontification about these phones is hilarious, it never changes. Waterproofing isn't important to everyone, neither is sd storage. Then people say "why should I upgrade from my current flagship?" You shouldn't, for people with old phones considering an upgrade the pixels is very compelling, it's not the jesus phone, no p[hone ever will be

QFT

The whole Android "jank" argument is so weird. I always notice jank on iOS even though people say it's smooth.

Seriously. The reason my SO wants to ditch iPhone right now is actually because of how shitty it's been. Freezing, lagging, etc.

reKon

Banned
I've actually been on my phone a lot in the past few hours. I said earlier that I would try using TouchWiz just to see if there's a difference betweeb my typical use of the Nova Launcher on my Android devices. So far it's been smooth with no dropped frames...

Where is this TouchWiz lag that people keep bitching about? I'm going to stick with this launcher for a few days and so far it's been fine in terms of speed and smoothness. If my experience remains consistent then perhaps disabling bloatware is really the simple solution to have a smoother experience.

Fatalah

Where is this TouchWiz lag that people keep bitching about? I'm going to stick with this launcher for a few days and so far it's been fine in terms of speed and smoothness. If my experience remains consistent then perhaps disabling bloatware is really the simple solution to have a smoother experience.

That's how bad Wiz was. Samsung optimized it 2 years ago, and they still can't shake its bad image.

AlphaDump

Gold Member

your jesus phone sounds like an s7 edge

I feel like most Android phones before Ice Cream Sandwich had that characteristic jank. I had a Droid 2 and a Galaxy S3 and definitely felt jank from time to time. Post ICS phones like my Droid Turbo and LG G4 have been as smooth as expected.

I think people just had that impression of old Android and never let it go. I've used family's iPhone and never feel like it's much different in usability and speed compared to modern Android flagships.

Klotera

I think people just had that impression of old Android and never let it go. I've used family's iPhone and never feel like it's much different in usability and speed compared to modern Android flagships.

Android is definitely still fighting old demons while iOS is riding on its legacy. Neither is perfect, but people seem to be much more aware of small issues in Android, while small issues in iOS are overlooked.

thespot84

your jesus phone sounds like an s7 edge

There is no Jesus phone. What I meant was that the scuba diving waterproofing spec and sd card aren't important to me, things like day one system and security updates and google design are, so why would I want an s7 edge?

I like this phone and never grew tired of Apple's design language, but I just got a 6P last year and it's still a very satisfactory phone. Kind of hope the new one next year is about the same design-wise, maybe move back to two forward-facing speakers as well as the expected annual spec boosts?

I like this phone and never grew tired of Apple's design language, but I just got a 6P last year and it's still a very satisfactory phone. Kind of hope the new one next year is about the same design-wise, maybe move back to two forward-facing speakers as well as the expected annual spec boosts?

That's what I'm hoping, as well.

Sony

Nintendo

Especially on an iOS version the iPhone model didn't launch with. Anyways, I'm more into Xperia myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom