• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Google updating "terms of service"

GeekyDad

Got this, I think it was yesterday morning. At first glance, it seemed as though it was mainly regarding rules about "A.I." creation rights. Dig a little deeper (not much, either), and it seems they're also changing conditions regarding what they can do against you for violating their (seemingly vague) policies (I think this may include ad blockers), most notably, they're basically, in my mind, threatening the possibility of litigation. Sure seems like some serious strong-arming -- an easy way for them to keep us cattle on their track.

Mistake

You don't need to agree to any terms to scrape their data, so good luck to them enforcing it on people who don't have accounts

GeekyDad

I did not realize there was an extension. I just set it as my default search in my browser.
I actually didn't see another option. When I went to their site, it shows either the extensions options or the browser option. I'm still okay with Firefox, so I went the extension, and sure enough, it made it my default search engine. It claims to prevent tracking.

Last edited:

Pejo

DuckDuckGo has been working very well for me for a few years now. Gave up the G a while back and haven’t regretted it
I've been using it for a few years now too. It's fine for most common stuff. For more fringe searches I still have to go to Google though. Particularly image searches when I'm trying to post a meme or some random shit I saw a long time ago.

Anyways, on topic, I'm popping popcorn right now to see them try to strongarm people from using adblockers on YouTube. It's damn near unusuable these days without an adblocker, and that's entirely their fault. One 10~ second ad at the beginning of a video would be totally acceptable to me, but multiple ads every few minutes is just absolutely intrusive and distracting. With the feds going against Ticketmaster right now, I'd love to see them review Google and fine the ever loving fuck out of them someday.

xrnzaaas

DuckDuckGo has been working very well for me for a few years now. Gave up the G a while back and haven’t regretted it
I hate to admit it, but 8 out of 10 times I try to find something using duckduckgo the results are not what I searched for, I end up frustrated and google the same topic (with great results almost every time). Or I'm pissed how nsfw / nude fakes can easily show up when searching for various images of some person, even if the query was fully sfw.

I still have duckduckgo as my default search engine to try and support it as an alternative, but yeah, it's far far from being a useful tool. I initially thought that my queries were wrong, but even with some simple ones ddg often misses.

Last edited:
Top Bottom