• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gotham Knights apparently is locked 4k/30fps on consoles

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Sadly I'm gonna expect this alot more later down the road.

Lots of games went 60 fps previous gen in the start, ended on favoring graphics turning the standard down to 30.

This gen had 120 fps games, down to 60, and now the 30 slide show starts all over again.

Kacho

They cancelled the last gen version too. Game probably runs heavy as fuck.

How do they not offer a 1440p mode?

There’s no excuse.

Once Unreal 5 becomes the norm, you’d better expect 30fps on consoles.
Will this actually be running at 4K on consoles? I assume it will have dynamic resolution with varying results.

Topher

Gold Member
60fps is an afterthought, as it should be. Its a cinematic single player game. Who cares

Obviously plenty of people care. You do realize you are arguing with people who care....in this thread.

Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Oh dear. 4K/30 fps with ray-tracing is absolutely fine... at one mode but there really is no excuse for not having a 60 fps dynamic 4K option without ray-tracing. Almost every other PS5 and Xbox Series X game has offered choices of at least 30 fps and 60 fps along with 120 fps and/or ray-tracing modes so why not this game?

FingerBang

I'm shocked at the amount of damage control done in here, seriously.

I'm playing the game. It does not look next gen, it looks worse than many first party game who got 60fps patches. I don't have the tools to prove this but I also believe it to have frame pacing issues, not even producing a smooth 30 fps. I hope this is not what they're releasing.

This doesn't meant the game is a pos, but absolutely don't expect the same level of quality of an Arkham game. SO FAR it's nothing like that.

MikeM

Lol why bother releasing it? Can’t wait to see that the game underperformed.

If this is console future, i’ll be out faster than I thought.

Stuart360

I'm sure a 60fps mode will come later. It probably wasnt consistent enough to be added in the launch version.
There is nothing i have seen of this that says it needs to be 30fps on a 3700x, even a downclocked version, and i expect 60fps on my PC (i have a 3700x).

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
They cancelled the last gen version too. Game probably runs heavy as fuck.

Will this actually be running at 4K on consoles? I assume it will have dynamic resolution with varying results.

Oh I’m sure it’ll be dynamic “4K”.

I'm shocked at the amount of damage control done in here, seriously.

I'm playing the game. It does not look next gen, it looks worse than many first party game who got 60fps patches. I don't have the tools to prove this but I also believe it to have frame pacing issues, not even producing a smooth 30 fps. I hope this is not what they're releasing.

This doesn't meant the game is a pos, but absolutely don't expect the same level of quality of an Arkham game. SO FAR it's nothing like that.
Ugh my friend reaaally wants me to get this cause its co op but it doesnt sound worth the money at all...

Reactions: CLW

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Yup? So do you force your games on PC to run at 30fps?
I dont play on PC. Simply because I dont care about higher frames, which is all those things truly offer (higher res too i know). Im cool with 30fps and my OLED.

If I had a 4080 though you bet your ass I'd play at 30fps with bells and whistles turned ALL THE WAY up

Last edited:
30 fps generally looks terrible on OLED TVs which is why I prefer 60 fps or even 40 fps over the lower framerates now. Of course, I was used to it on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X but once you experience the smoothness of a 60 fps framerate on a 120 Hz refresh screen with VRR then it is almost impossible to go back. 30 fps games are prone to bad framepacing, as mentioned, and also doesn't support VRR so any drops below 30 fps, even to 29 or 28 fps, will manifest as noticeble stuttering. I really am quite shocked at a PS5/Xbox Series game being released with only a 30 fps mode. I really thought we'd moved past that now the new consoles have decent CPUs.

Last edited:

Freeman76

No thanks. Was considering buying this but no way am I supporting this kind of crap. 60fps should be standard for all games now. I was worried this gen they might start pushing the graphics at expense of framerate and no way am I contributing to developers thinking its aa good idea. I'll get Mount and Blade 2 instead.

Bit of a misleading title for the thread when he only mentions PS5 though, no confirmation about Xbox.

Last edited:
It looks like shit however thats due to the devs being incompetent and quite frankly untalented.
Agreed.

But my point is, it means that a push for 60fps would mean it would look even shittier.
For this specific game I'm ok with this. If something is already being seen in a bad light to everyone, then adding one more caveat just to trade for 60fps won't make it look even worse. In fact, the inverse just happened with this news, so I honestly think 30 fps was the wrong call.
You guys will get your 60fps in 6 months or so. 60fps is an afterthought, as it should be. Its a cinematic single player game. Who cares
You care lol you're here posting. It's okay to care. I care enough to where I want this to be a good game. It keeps punching itself in the face however.

MiguelItUp

Jesus, for the impressions talking about how empty the city looked, and how it looked radically inferior even compared to Arkham Knight, this just adds another layer to the lasagna of issues. What a sad game.

intbal

I find it very difficult to believe that PS4 couldn't run this game at 900p/30fps. Maybe with some reduced settings, but it could still run it. XONE 720p maybe.
No reason to cancel 8th gen.
I guess they hate money.

EDMIX

sounds like it will just be patched later for that option or something.

For this to be a cross gen thing, then turned next gen only thing, I'm doubtful it can't hit 60fps

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I thought it looked poor anyways, so I wasn't going to buy it but rather wait until it hit PS+ / given away via Prime Gaming / hit Game Pass, but this insures that I'll just never play it. It's 2022, I ain't playing no third person action game like this at 30 fps. Fucking insulting really.

Last edited:

Duchess

I was already learning towards not playing this game. But if there really is no 60fps mode, it's definitely a skip.

They canceled the last-gen SKUs presumably to prioritize the latest consoles, knowing most people who will buy the game will be on the newest machines. Fair enough! I am. But… there is no sub-4K/ 60fps mode?

Am I crazy or is that really odd? This game was built on Unreal Engine 4.

Is it a huge amount of work to lower the resolution and patch in 60fps options? Or is Gotham just so big and dense that the consoles can’t do 60fps at a decent resolution? The game does look enormous… but, can’t Elden Ring do 60fps on new consoles? I felt like my playthrough on Series X was 60fps or something close.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

They canceled the last-gen SKUs presumably to prioritize the latest consoles, knowing most people who will buy the game will be on the newest machines. Fair enough! I am. But… there is no sub-4K/ 60fps mode?

Am I crazy or is that really odd? This game was built on Unreal Engine 4.
It's BEYOND odd This game's entire development period has been extremely odd. All of the latest impression videos weren't glowing either. A lot of them were fans of the Arkham series as well.

The whole thing just screams "mess" IMO. The visuals, the performance, the UI, etc. There's just a whole lot of weird following this project around.

anthony2690

Gold Member
60fps games on 90s 3D platforms,
Atari Jaguar (1993 Hardware)
BattleSphere (2000) (Variable frame rate which peaks at 60 fps)
BattleSphere Gold (2002) (Variable frame rate which peaks at 60 fps)

Total: 2 games

Sega Saturn (1994 Hardware)

All-Japan Pro Wrestling featuring Virtua (1997)
Clockwork Knight: Pepperouchau's Adventure (1994) (Characters are 2D sprites; 2D gameplay)
Clockwork Knight 2 (1995) (Characters are 2D sprites; 2D gameplay)
Dead or Alive (1997)
DecAthlete (1996)
Digital Dance Mix Vol. 1: Namie Amuro (1997)
Fighters Megamix (1996)
Fighting Vipers (1996)
Guardian Heroes (1996) (Seems to be using 3D floors)
Goiken Muyou: Anarchy in the Nippon (1997)
J.League Go Go Goal! (1997)
Jonah Lomu Rugby (1997) (The players are 2D sprites but the rest is 3D at solid 50 fps - European-only release so it's limited to 50 fps)
Last Bronx (1997)
Layer Section II (1997) (60 fps but with some heavy slowdown at times)
Mass Destruction (1997)
Panzer Dragoon II Zwei (1996) (Only cutscenes are 60 fps but they're rendered in real time)
Radiant Silvergun (1998) (Some characters and items are 2D sprites; 2D gameplay)
Savaki (1998)
Shinrei Jusatsushi Taromaru (1997) (Several backgrounds and some platforms are 3D)
Skeleton Warriors (1996) (Characters and several items are 2D sprites; 2D gameplay)
Stellar Assault SS (1998) (In interlaced mode the image is blurred but the objects are moving 60 times per second with their "ghosts" being cleared only in the next frame)
Street Racer Extra (1996)
Striker '96 (1996) (The players are 2D sprites but the rest is 3D at solid 60 fps)
Tempest 2000 (1996)
Terra Cresta 3D (1997)
Thunder Force V (1997) (Enemies and some background objects are 3D)
Virtua Fighter 2 (1995)
Virtua Fighter Kids (1996)
Zero Divide: The Final Conflict (1997)

Total: 29 games

Sony Playstation (1994 Hardware)

Agent Armstrong (1997) (2D sprites in a 3D world)
Battle Arena Toshinden 3 (1996) (60 fps mode is optional and non-textured)
BattleSport (1997) (Some items are 2D sprites)
Blockids (1996) (Static 2D backgrounds and 2D characters; fully 3D table)
Bloody Roar (1997)
Bloody Roar 2: Bringer of the New Age (1999)
Boxing (2000)
Colin McRae Rally (1998) (Hidden feature and it's limited to Time Trial and Rally modes)
Critical Blow (1997)
Crime Killer (1998)
Dance Dance Revolution 5th Mix (2001)
Dead or Alive (1998)
Doraemon: Nobita to Fukkatsu no Hoshi (1996) (Player's characters and items are 2D sprites)
Dynasty Warriors (1997)
Ehrgeiz (1998)
Einhander (1998) (2D gameplay)
Fighters' Impact (1997)
Fighting Illusion K-1 GP 2000 (2000)
Fighting Illusion V: K-1 Grand Prix '99 (1999)
Fighting Illusion: K-1 Grand Prix '98 (1998)
Finger Flashing (1999) (Just the floor is 3D but it scrolls at 60 fps when you run)
Floating Runner: Quest for the 7 Crystals (1996)
Forsaken (1998)
Funky Boxers (2002)
G-Darius (1998) (Bullets and other items are 2D sprites; 2D gameplay; slowdown may be heavy)
Ganbare Goemon: Kurunara Koi! Ayashige Ikka no Kuroi Kage (1998)
Garou Densetsu Wild Ambition (1999)
Gauntlet Legends (2000) (60 fps but with occasional slowdown)
Geom Cube (1994) (Bare bones Blockout-esque 3D graphics but solid 60 fps nonetheless)
Genei Tougi: Shadow Struggle (1996)
Goiken Muyou II (1998)
Gran Turismo (1997) (Hidden Hi-Fi mode, which is Time Trial-only and limited to a few tracks)
Hard Blow (1997)
Hermie Hopperhead: Scrap Panic (1995) (3D bonus levels are solid 60 fps)
Hover Racing (1997) (Net Yaroze homebrew game)
Hyper Final Match Tennis (1996)
I.Q. Final (1998) (Empty background; fully 3D table and character)
I.Q.: Intelligent Qube (1997) (Empty background; fully 3D table and character)
Invasion From Beyond (1998)
iS: Internal Section (1999)
Jonah Lomu Rugby (1997) (The players are 2D sprites but the rest is 3D at solid 60 fps)
K-1 World Grand Prix 2001 Kaimakuden (2001)
Kamen Rider (1998)
Kamen Rider Agito (2001)
Kamen Rider Kuuga (2000)
Kamen Rider Ryuki (2002) (60 fps but with occasional slowdown)
Kamen Rider V3 (2000)
Kensei: Sacred Fist (1998)
Kickboxing (2001)
Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (1997) (Characters and several items are 2D sprites; 2D gameplay)
Kula World (1998)
Landmaker (1999) (Only the console-exclusive modes are 3D; bare bones graphics but solid 60 fps)
Lattice: 200EC7 (2000)
Mad Stalker: Full Metal Force (1997) (Only the floor is 3D)
Magical Date: Doki Doki Kokuhaku Daisakusen (1997) (Most of the mini-puzzles run at 60 fps)
Micro Machines V3 (1997)
Mortal Kombat 4 (1998)
Moto Racer (1997) (30+ variable frame rate reaches 50-60 fps in some spots and often in time trial)
Motor Toon GP R (1996) (Motor Toon Grand Prix 2's mini-game)
Motorhead (1998) (60 fps mode is optional and limited to 2 AI cars)
Muppet RaceMania (2000)
N2O: Nitrous Oxide (1998)
Night Raid (2002) (Some backgrounds and items are 2D; 2D gameplay)
One on One (1998)
Philosoma (1995) (Backgrounds are 3D for the most part)
Pong: The Next Level (1999) (30 fps prior and after the match but solid 60 fps during the gameplay)
PowerSlave (1997) (30+ variable frame which peaks at 60 fps in some areas)
R-Type Delta (1998) (2D gameplay)
Rapid Racer (1997)
Rascal (1998)
RayCrisis (2000) (60 fps but with occasional slowdown)
RayStorm (1996) (60 fps but with occasional slowdown)
RC de GO! (2000)
Ridge Racer Turbo (1998) (R4: Ridge Racer Type 4 bonus disc; the arcade game limited to 2 AI cars)
Rival Schools (1998)
Running Wild (1998)
Sanvein (2000)
Shake Kids (1998) (2D sprites in a 3D world; combo screen run at 30 fps, the rest of the game is 60 fps)
Shin Nippon Pro Wrestling: Toukon Retsuden 2 (1996) (Using a cheat, single matches-only, no background and no judge)
Shin Nippon Pro Wrestling: Toukon Retsuden 3 (1998) (Optional, single matches-only and no judge)
Shiritsu Justice Gakuen: Nekketsu Seishun Nikki 2 (1999)
Skeleton Warriors (1996) (Characters and several items are 2D sprites; 2D gameplay)
SlamScape (1996)
Street Fighter EX 2 Plus (1999)
Street Fighter EX Plus Alpha (1997)
Street Racer Extra (1996)
Striker - World Cup Premiere Stage (1995) (The players are 2D sprites but the rest is 3D at solid 60 fps)
Tekken (1995)
Tekken 2 (1996)
Tekken 3 (1998)
Tempest X3 (1996)
The Granstream Saga (1997)
The Helicopter (2000)
Trash It (1997) (50 fps PAL-only release, characters are 2D sprites; 2D gameplay)
Thunder Force V: Perfect System (1998) (Enemies and some background objects are 3D)
Tobal 2 (1997)
Tobal No. 1 (1996)
Tomba! (1997) (Characters and several items are 2D sprites)
Umihara Kawase Shun (1997) (All platforms are 3D)
Umihara Kawase Shun: Second Edition (2000) (All platforms are 3D)
Victory Boxing (2000)
Virtual Hiryu no Ken (1997)
Vs. (1997)
Xevious 3D/G (1997)
XI [sai]/ Devil Dice (1998)
XI [sai] Jumbo (1999)
Zen-Nippon Pro Wrestling: Ouja no Kon (1999)
Zero Divide 2: The Secret Wish (1997)

Total: 108 games

Nintendo 64 (1996 Hardware)

Dark Rift (1997)
F-Zero X (1998)
Gauntlet Legends (1999) (30+ fps variable frame rate which may peak at 60 fps)
Killer Instinct Gold (1996) (2D sprites and 2D gameplay in a 3D world)
Mortal Kombat 4 (1998)
Super Smash Bros. (1999) (variable frame rate which may peak at 60 fps under certain circunstances)
Virtual Hiryu no Ken 1.5 (1998) (included in Flying Dragon) (variable frame rate which may peak at 60 fps)

Total: 7 games

Source: https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showt...ics-running-at-60-fps-5th-Generation-Consoles

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Lol this is becoming funny to me, now. It just looks bad. Could be wrong, but that's how I'm feeling.

This will be poorly received and they can make it up by giving Arkham Knight a next-gen patch. Then they can get to work on the next Arkham game. All will be well.

It's BEYOND odd This game's entire development period has been extremely odd. All of the latest impression videos weren't glowing either. A lot of them were fans of the Arkham series as well.

The whole thing just screams "mess" IMO. The visuals, the performance, the UI, etc. There's just a whole lot of weird following this project around.
I feel like it’s been getting a bad rap. But underneath it all I feel like this game has something special, and it might just be a product of odd/weird marketing choices and how they’ve decided to show off the game. I feel like the game has a lot of good stuff in it, and it’s not been framed very well.

Maybe I just really want it to be good. But I do love an underdog! It’s an open-world RPG with a huge city to explore and supposedly lots of mysteries to uncover. I am excited to at least see how the final product turns out.

Witcher 3 had pretty bad combat too, but it’s one of the best games ever made, in my opinion. At least this game shows enemies’ levels, I’m one of those people who likes that in my RPGs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom