• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GPU-based procedural placement in Horizon Zero Dawn

Sibylus

Banned
Yes, but this procedural generation is done real-time on gpu instead of in editor on developers pc. I'm pretty sure other games also do it, but maybe on cpu instead of gpu (I may be wrong).

I wonder, what's the advantage of this? Is generating placement info realtime faster than just loading it from disc? I imagine geometry doesn't take that much data.

Workflow―the entire map comes together into a shippable state much faster than it would otherwise, and it's much cleaner to make changes and not have to redo dozens/hundreds of hours of work.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Hopefully they will take their time. Spring 2020 or later, I don't want to see it sooner. ;)
I would think the project and mental model changes a lot between 2.x years and a 3 year plan.

Let's not have another Killzone 3 (while Good, it wasn't quite at the level of KZ2).

Feb 2020 would be perfect!

Would this tech even be needed in Horizon 2 as the next gen SSDs shouldn't even break a sweat loading in game assets around the player and right to the player horizon.
Or am I thinking of this in the wrong way?

Can this tech stil benefit next gen games?

Keen to hear someone with more knowledge on this.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Worth noting that this seems to be the tech that let the Death Stranding playerbase eventually create paths and roads anywhere in the environment, even places packed with things, just from the combined repeated traversal.

Really cool stuff.

Would this tech even be needed in Horizon 2 as the next gen SSDs shouldn't even break a sweat loading in game assets around the player and right to the player horizon.
Or am I thinking of this in the wrong way?

Can this tech stil benefit next gen games?

Keen to hear someone with more knowledge on this.

I think it will still be used, SSD can be used to load more variants of objects and minimize pop-up and you can save lot of space procedural generating the world, SSD may be very quick but space may be a problem

a reason to move it back to CPU can be if they need more GPU time for rendering but HZD looks fantastic already with smooth framerate so it isnt a problem, less work for CPU means it can be used in other things, it will be interesting if their next game aims at 60 fps

Top Bottom