• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 ships 9 million units

Surely GT5 has reached 10 million by now?

Man, if Sony has the sequel ready for the PS4 launch, it'd be a great thing for them. I'm always shocked to see a racing sim so successful, it never makes sense to me

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!

Man, if Sony has the sequel ready for the PS4 launch, it'd be a great thing for them. I'm always shocked to see a racing sim so successful, it never makes sense to me

Going from 9m to 10m in the past month seems pretty unlikely.

I'd be happy if they could get GT6 out within a year of PS4 launch, like GT3 was (which was amazing).

About two million. Forza isn't in the same class as GT in terms of sales. It's like comparing Halo sales to Resistance.

http://gamer.blorge.com/2012/11/05/...-million-encroaching-on-forza-lifetime-sales/

GT5 almost sold as much last year as Forza 4 did as a new release. These numbers don't even include GT5 prologue which sold over 5 million.

You could argue the Forza franchise is already finished. Forza Horizon has been a huge flop. MS has had to nearly give the game away for it to sell.

This post is pretty low on facts.

Piggus

Good. This game + Driving Force GT is one of the best experiences I've ever had in videogames.

This game + Fanatec GR3 RS is even more awesome. :) I love being able to refine the settings on the wheel until I fin something that feels really realistic.

Nuklear

Banned

They have a lot of street cars in the game which I think helps it a ton. It's just not all sports cars like most racing games. The online in the game is great too. I can play with people in the UK(ie.. http://www.twitch.tv/yorkshirepudding) and it runs good for the most part.

malyce

Wow, really? :O

They made money back by Prologue? So, Polyphony must be rolling in cash..

Dont do these updates cost money? How is the game supported? DLC, presumably, sales still going strong. How does it stack on sales charts these days?

Holy crap, the forums alone have 600 people on it at this very moment. That is quite a community
This always surprises people. There was a thread on gtplanet where members posted their age and how long they've been playing GT. From toddlers to teens, senior citizens, grandmas and grandpas etc. people that have no interest in gaming whatsoever but got a ps3 just for this game. A very diverse community that has one thing in common... they love cars and/or racing. This is why GT does the numbers it does. People will argue about the inclusion of the older model cars ..."omg why is there a '76 skyline in this game? lulz Forza has the ccx and GT doesn't.. Why is PD wasting their time with 800 gt4 cars? Forza has Porches lulz"... It's still gonna sell 10+ million even with this shooter heavy gen and even with the mess Sony made. Even when racing games sales are at an all time low.

I still think Polyphony need to get GT6 out early on PS4. Even if it only has 300 or so cars. And they need to get the crash damage working. It was inexcusable in GT5. Hiding damage away as an unlock able? What kind of ridiculous decision was that? They are good car enthusiast, but awful game designers

They need to start aiming for quality over quantity again

Polyphony

The whole "damage is unlocked at higher levels" thing was a myth spread by uninformed posters and YouTube videos at launch. Damage model is the same no matter what level you are. The damage is simply not as sensitive as people would like it to be, so it takes a fairly hard beating to see its visual representation. It has been tweaked through patches, but mechanical damage takes precedence over visual damage anyway.

GT5 focused on quality with the "premium" cars. There are those who would prefer that GT5 shipped with only 300 cars for the sake of consistency. Those are the same kind of gamers who care about high review scores and see older GT4 models as an eye-sore that damage the game's consistency, therefore graphical rating.

Then, there are those who will be playing this game far beyond the first month post-release when everybody is excited to have their hands on a new game. They are those who care about having the option to drive cars that do not have a graphical update, but will benefit from the new physics overhaul.

If PD really had focused on quantity over quality, they would've just modeled 2000 GT4-spec'ed cars and forget about the "premium" cars altogether.

rvy

Banned
GT5 focused on quality with the "premium" cars. There are those who would prefer that GT5 shipped with only 300 cars for the sake of consistency. Those are the same kind of gamers who care about high review scores and see older GT4 models as an eye-sore that damage the game's consistency, therefore graphical rating.
Don't give a flying shit about reviews. Would actually prefer the game to have only Premium cars. Didn't hurt GT 3 to have less vehicles than GT 4 seeing as GT 3 is still better.

Don't give a flying shit about reviews. Would actually prefer the game to have only Premium cars. Didn't hurt GT 3 to have less vehicles than GT 4 seeing as GT 3 is still better.

Why? You don't have to use them, and by removing your taking away from people that actually do like to use them. Besides when you are racing against them you barely notice they are standards. Only if you get really freaking up close, which happens rarely or it happens to be one of the really poor standards (there's a few of them, but really rare).

My brother drives almost exclusively standards cause he prefers the old classics, and removing them, only because they don't look as good, yet drive as well as the premiums, would kill his interest. And he's not alone.

Would have been terrible if they didn't include the standard vehicles in the game, I don't think you'll find many fans of the game who thought otherwise. Most of my favorite cars are standard vehicles.

Sorry but its not 300 premium cars vs 200 premium cars + 800 standards

It was more like 210 premium cars vs 200 premium cars + 800 standards.

Because theres no way they could have model 90 more cars. GT5 had all sorts of problems and one of the areas was the lack of enough 3d artists.
They did make a good choice by putting those 800 ported cars because there simply too many greats in standard list to be left out. I liked GT3 but having so many cars cut from the carlist was a huge disappointment.

In other hand im very critic of the standar cars, i think theres no excuse after so much time and so much money, was pure miss management.

---------------------------------------

I´d like to point out 2 other things:
Forza 4 is over 3.2 M in the leaderboards (and was 2.9 before the bundle), removing the second hand and adding those who dont use online i´d say the sales are probably around 3 millions, not 2.

Forza Horizon is not a flop, the last time i check the leaderboards was around 600K users which is not bad at all for the first month (before black friday), hardly a flop, i think the game is going to sell atleast 1.5

i-Lo

Going from 9m to 10m in the past month seems pretty unlikely.

I'd be happy if they could get GT6 out within a year of PS4 launch, like GT3 was (which was amazing).

Not 6 but 6 Prologue. It'll be system seller nonetheless.

When it comes to crowns is there any better intro for a racer such as this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZTy1D-jzYw

Perhaps the next game in the franchise will actually look like that in real time (IQ).

Hopefully the 6th game will improve on basic things like:

• UI

Visually, the two major problems I had with the game:

• Very clean but sterile environments. Perhaps next one can have dynamic skies (oh Skyrim, how you've spoiled us) to mitigate this issue.
  • I think you call it the "alpha texture" when the water droplets or mist that forms around vehicles or on wind shield that when in contact with other objects causes a horrendous aliasing.

Physics wise:

• Car against car collision esp. side-wall to side-wall collision still needs work. They shouldn't feel like blocks of wood.

rvy

Banned
Why? You don't have to use them, and by removing your taking away from people that actually do like to use them. Besides when you are racing against them you barely notice they are standards. Only if you get really freaking up close, which happens rarely or it happens to be one of the really poor standards (there's a few of them, but really rare).

My brother drives almost exclusively standards cause he prefers the old classics, and removing them, only because they don't look as good, yet drive as well as the premiums, would kill his interest. And he's not alone.

That's because the Premium car criteria they used at PD is beyond messed up. If they had some more diversity, the problem wouldn't be as severe as you're making it out to be. Unfortunately, we ended up with how many variations of the same Premium cars disguised as more content?

608: P Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VI GSR T.M. EDITION Special Color Package ‘99
618: P Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR ‘05
619: P Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX GSR RM ‘05
620: P Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution X GSR Premium Package ‘07

655: P Nissan 370Z Tuned Car ‘08
660: P Nissan Calsonic IMPUL GT-R (SUPER GT) ‘08
669: P Nissan Fairlady Z (Z34) ‘08
672: P/S Nissan Fairlady Z 300ZX TwinTurbo 2seater (Z32) ‘89
678: P Nissan Fairlady Z Version S (Z33) ‘07
683: P Nissan GT-R ‘07
684: P Nissan GT-R Black Mask ‘07
687: P Nissan GT-R Proto ‘05
688: P/S Nissan GT-R SpecV ‘09
689: P Nissan GT-R SpecV (GT Academy Version) ‘09
692: P Nissan March 12SR ‘07
696: P Nissan MOTUL AUTECH GT-R (SUPER GT) ‘08
716: P Nissan SILVIA K’s Dia Selection (S13) ‘90
721: P Nissan SILVIA spec-R AERO (S15) ‘02
722: P Nissan SILVIA spec-R AERO (S15) RM ‘02
730: P Nissan SKYLINE Coupe 370GT Type SP ‘07
747: P/S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V·spec (R33) ‘97
749: P/S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V·spec II (R32) ‘94
752: P/S Nissan SKYLINE GT-R V·spec II Nür (R34) ‘02

Pretty sure they could have squeezed some of those standards that your brother uses into some of these slots. I'm also pretty sure that when a Spoon CR-Z is a Premium car but a Veyron isn't, your criteria is botched.

That's because the Premium car criteria they used at PD is beyond messed up. If they had some more diversity, the problem wouldn't be as severe as you're making it out to be. Unfortunately, we ended up with how many variations of the same Premium cars disguised as more content?

Pretty sure they could have squeezed some of those standards that your brother uses into some of these slots. I'm also pretty sure that when a Spoon CR/Z is a Premium car but a Veyron isn't, your criteria is botched.

You actually think not having the standards, or those duplicates with very few differences, some of them is just the name change, would some how give them more time to put in anything close to more 800 premium cars? Not even 100...

Also, why are you listing race mods?

rvy

Banned
You actually think not having the standards, or those duplicates with very few differences, would some how give them more time to put in anything close to more 800 premium cars? Not even 100...

Also, why are you listing race mods?

No, I think not having those 800+ standards and having a proper criteria for picking Premium models would make the game more consistent. I expect consistency in PD games.

I'm listing race mods because I'm not about to edit car lists that I'm quoting from websites. Too much trouble for a battle I'm not going to win.

breakfuss

The XL edition was on sale for $10 on Black Friday. That might have significantly helped on it's road to 10 million. I was one of the late bloomers to grab it so I'm pleased to see the community is still alive and kicking!

Visually, the two major problems I had with the game:

Very clean but sterile environments. Perhaps next one can have dynamic skies (oh Skyrim, how you've spoiled us) to mitigate this issue.

Their day/night cycle system is very slick, and probably has the most realistic lighting system to go along with it.

I think you call it the "alpha texture" when the water droplets or mist that forms around vehicles or on wind shield that when in contact with other objects causes a horrendous aliasing.
[/LIST]

This is really entirely on the PS3. It's known to be terrible at alpha effects. Which means stuff like smoke and and rain kicking up will cause heavy pixelation on objects that touch it. The only way for PD to get around that would've been for them to eliminate weather effects and tone down the smoke to Prologue levels.

Not for now. We have the XL Edition, but it was released at the beginning of this year. So it's missing two courses and 11 cars.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
The XL edition was on sale for $10 on Black Friday. That might have significantly helped on it's road to 10 million. I was one of the late bloomers to grab it so I'm pleased to see the community is still alive and kicking!

No reason why not when there is a worldwide community filled with enthusiast car lovers.

Teletraan1

Banned
I dont think that GT6 will take forever like this one did. They did a lot of stuff for GT5 at such a high quality that it can be re used for next gen. Just give me 1080p@60FPS and shadows that dont look like they are made out of MegaBloks.

Prophane33

Awesome, was a big fan of GT1-4. Grabbed this with my PS3 on Black Friday (well technically, Thursday). Menus are a bit clunky, Loading is slower than I'd like, but everything else is fantastic. I certainly don't regret it. I can understand why it didn't get amazing review scores compared to 1-4, but I believe it's on par with previous entries in the franchise.

Put me in the GT6 at or near launch for PS4 camp.

Top Bottom