• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

The Stealth Fox

I'd go with 6. It basically has everything that GT5 had (with the exception of F1 cars and the Top Gear track) and it does away with the main issues that 5 had (like slow menus and long loading times). Then you of course have an overhauled physics engine, more cars, more tracks and more tracks that include weather and time of day settings. It's going to be a much better game.

Just needs mechanical damage. Grr..... then from a gameplay perspective it would be complete. If they get overhauled engine sounds in a patch down the road along with that.... perfect driving game for me.

Sid

GT5 doesn't have more AA, it just has different AA. GT5 uses MSAA while GT6 uses MLAA. MLAA can result in a very high quality image when implemented right. God of War 3 is a good example of that.
Isn't GoW 3 the only example? even killzone 3 had spotty IQ.

scandisk_

Unconfirmed Member
What?

People are nuts sometimes.

Every GT game ups the ante visually. It will be no different with GT7.

Why the doubt though?

Only a handful on individuals. Well, some peeps prefer beautiful track details over the boooring and lifeless circuit tracks.

Via PSNation Podcast Facebook page:

Glenn Percival

Straight from the PR Manager for Gran Turismo 6 (she just posted this on my wall):

"You don't need to spend anything to unlock events and cars, etc. Lots of criticisms in GT5 about length of time needed to unlock things so the purchase of in-game currency is all optional. If you want to earn it all, you can. If you want to purchase, you can as well but we don't force you to. It was misinterpreted when announced in our features list."

Only a handful on individuals. Well, some peeps prefer beautiful track details over the boooring and lifeless circuit tracks.

I understand not liking how "empty" race tracks often are, but PD's non-race tracks often look really good

i2ILhXTp9Y4TO.gif

scandisk_

Unconfirmed Member
I understand not liking how "empty" race tracks often are, but PD's non-race tracks often look really good

i2ILhXTp9Y4TO.gif

yep, matterhorn is one of the best lookers in GT6. Actually the new tracks are all fuckin beautiful. Ascari, Goodwood, Bathurts all look godly. Even the barren Willow springs looks purty.

saladine1

RACECAR from gtplanet made some gt5 vids with proper engine sounds. It adds so much more to the immersion of this game. I really wonder if we're going to get proper sounds in a patch or if we'll have to wait for GT7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hhYfEyrrLA#t=45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrUt3ef8tqk

Fuck me, now that's what I'm talking about!

I can't imagine a GT game with sounds similar to that. It would be weird lol..

Patching in some exhaust or engine notes is one thing but there's a shitload of other stuff to worry about too.
Best thing for PD is to forget band-aiding shit and focus on a completely overhauled sound engine/design for GT7.

That video made me want to look up more real life 787B on board footage. My god, that car is so nuts. Hearing people talk about the unimportance of sound in a racing game is like listening to people tell you that playing a sim with a controller is no different than with a wheel.

Very curious to see how the GPS and microtransactions pan out. This will be the deciding factor of picking this game up in the future or not. Keep all the vids coming though, still can never resist GT gameplay despite my increasing jadedness since GT5.

The Stealth Fox

That video made me want to look up more real life 787B on board footage. My god, that car is so nuts. Hearing people talk about the unimportance of sound in a racing game is like listening to people tell you that playing a sim with a controller is no different than with a wheel.

Very curious to see how the GPS and microtransactions pan out. This will be the deciding factor of picking this game up in the future or not. Keep all the vids coming though, still can never resist GT gameplay despite my increasing jadedness since GT5.

Don't worry about the microtransactions. There's more and more evidence cropping up that the progression is well done.

The new course maker being the deciding factor is justified. If you can freely lay out your track and the game interprets your GPS data to come up with a track, that's a huge advantage.

scandisk_

Unconfirmed Member
Best thing for PD is to forget band-aiding shit and focus on a completely overhauled sound engine/design for GT7.

With a team of 140-150 (can someone confirm this) I highly doubt we're goin to see a massive improvement on that department, even in GT7. They don't even outsource to third parties. And I agree the sound in GT needs a massive overhaul. Fuck the old assets and do a fresh start. Ohh while we're at it, expand PD to yurop. language barrier my ass.

Really good stuff. Can someone forward this shit to Kaz every day of the next year? Maybe then he will get the hint.

One of the biggest things in the videos is how much there is to a race car's sound than just the engine RPMs. The way the engine blips in the down shifts, the crazy over run on off throttle turn in, oh man, it is just sooooo much more lviely in real life than the single note, linear sound progression in GT games.

OmegaDL50

With a team of 140-150 (can someone confirm this) I highly doubt we're goin to see a massive improvement on that department, even in GT7. They don't even outsource to third parties. And I agree the sound in GT needs a massive overhaul. Fuck the old assets and do a fresh start. Ohh while we're at it, expand PD to yurop. language barrier my ass.

Well if anything to consider - It says here the company has 150 employees
http://www.gtplanet.net/polyphony-digital-moves-50-employees-to-fukuoka-japan/ but this was back in 2011

But the official company profile here - http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/ says they have 110 approx.

So either some people left the company, I'd say anything in between 100 to 150 is a fairly good estimate.

Considering some AAA dev studios have upwards to 300 to 400 employees, I think some of the issues in the GT series can mostly be forgiven because of the lack of manpower in comparison.

Turn10 for example has 300 employees, So that goes to show having more people can generally result in an balanced parity in terms of car visual quality and engine sounds.

If PD just hired another 30 people JUST to work on Vehicle Sounds, it's just something to consider.

Still to achieve with they do with the relatively small team is still amazing.

Dead Man

One of the biggest things in the videos is how much there is to a race car's sound than just the engine RPMs. The way the engine blips in the down shifts, the crazy over run on off throttle turn in, oh man, it is just sooooo much more lviely in real life than the single note, linear sound progression in GT games.

Yep, sounds like an actual machine, with metal interacting with metal and all the other good noises.

Well if anything to consider - It says here the company has 150 employees
http://www.gtplanet.net/polyphony-digital-moves-50-employees-to-fukuoka-japan/ but this was back in 2011

But the official company profile here - http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/ says they have 110 approx.

So either some people left the company, I'd say anything in between 100 to 150 is a fairly good estimate.

Considering some AAA dev studios have upwards to 300 to 400 employees, I think some of the issues in the GT series can mostly be forgiven because of the lack of manpower in comparison.

Turn10 for example has 300 employees, So that goes to show having more people can generally result in an balanced parity in terms of car visual quality and engine sounds.

If PD just hired another 30 people JUST to work on Engine Sounds, it's just something to consider.

Still to achieve with they do with the relatively small team is still amazing.

They can be understood in the context of a small team, that is not something I can forgive though. PD is not short on funds, they can hire plenty of people to do the work. They do do an amazing job for a team 1/3 the size of normal devs, but that will not cut it any more, it hasn't cut it for at least 5 years now.

I don't know why Kaz is so opposed to a larger team, or so opposed to any outsourcing at all, but it is hurting the games badly. Sony need to get after him and if needed add somebody else to manage the actual development stream while Kaz manages the design work. Something needs to change. If they only have 140 odd people and they struggled to get a game satisfactorily completed on PS3, getting a game for PS4 with the content they seem to expect themselves to include I think they will struggle. Up scaled PS2 textures and models will not be acceptable. They will either have to expand or make a smaller game.

If they were to make a smaller game, that would be fine, say, 600 cars is still plenty as long as they have a good variety. But they will still need a lot of work done on tracks and the sound remains a huge issue, as does the actual race design.

I was hoping GT6 would bring big improvements at least to the races, allowing standing starts, removing some of the reliance on massive head starts just to make the race challenging but it seems not. The thing that I am most excited for is a return to the GT4 B-Spec system. :/

Sorry for the long arse rant. Not really aimed at you, I just used your post to jump off from :)

_machine

^^ How to tell when you're trying to justify that which shouldn't be justified. I've seen a lot of statements start out with similar words in the past year, and many of the those things being justified have been changed or reversed due to public outcry.

We don't need or want these time-saver microtransactions, and their inclusion in the game, regardless of how much they tuned the progression around them is a detriment to the game, since now the steepness of that progression will be a constant pressure against a person's willingness to pay. That'll be the case even if no new grinds were added, no existing grinds were extended and no prices went up.

These things shouldn't be in full priced games, period.
Sorry, I never meant to justify microtransactions themselves, but to explain why they're included and coming to many games of late.

I agree that we don't need nor want them, but they're the hottest trend in game development right now (the last dev conference I went to had like 3 talks about monetization and majority of that was microtransactions and a couple of my friend have experienced the need for them in mobile games firsthand). That doesn't mean that they're here to stay; devs will try them out and see what the reactions and results are, but at the moment there's been little negative feedback (apart from Forza 5, which still hasn't exactly buckled down nor reached all major news outfits) and the temptation is too strong.

What we as players need to show is that at the very least they need to be balanced not to effect the core experience in the least and that we don't want them at all. As much as I despise Season Passes, despite a lot of negative feedback they've been rather successful for the devs so they probably aren't going anywhere just yet and that is what we don't want with microtransactions.

Lastly, MTs coming is also a result of one thing; console games as an industry isn't doing very well and people will go long ways to try to make games more profitable since the costs are rising yet sales haven't been exactly great lately (not counting GTA V) and prices are still the same. MTs could potentially be good for us if the additional costs are transferred there without affecting the experience at all, but sadly I don't see it working that well either (greed a'la Microsoft could ruin that quite easily).

Anyhow, it's a topic I could go on for quite some, preferably over a beer, but I'll just leave it at this and let's focus on GT6 now that Solal has stopped trolling.

--

On-topic, I don't know exactly why I'm not getting that hyped since it's my first own Gran Turismo and vehicle list alone should excite me, but I'd have hoped that PD would have fixed a few more shortcomings of GT5 (clutch, starts, some general usability quirks). It doesn't help though that with the Finnish Independence Day on friday it's possible I won't be getting the game next week.

or the ps3's hardware could in fact be limiting the sounds. the game is running at 1440x1080 at 60 fps vsync'd with applied aa.

why is it that people find it so hard to believe that maybe it's a hardware limitation just because "other games have better sounds" but would instantly recognize hardware capacity on forza's lack of dynamic weather and time even though gt6 and other last-gen games have those technical features? sounds and graphics both depend on hardware. just because graphics require more horsepower doesn't mean audio processor load is a throwaway amount.

the better the sounds would totally result in a better experience, but who's to say pd wouldn't have to sacrifice something to get that sound quality?

Dead Man

or the ps3's hardware could in fact be limiting the sounds. the game is running at 1440x1080 at 60 fps vsync'd with applied aa.

why is it that people find it so hard to believe that maybe it's a hardware limitation just because "other games have better sounds" but would instantly recognize hardware capacity on forza's lack of dynamic weather and time even though gt6 and other last-gen games have those technical features?

the better the sounds would totally result in a better experience, but who's to say pd wouldn't have to sacrifice something to get that sound quality?

Then they should sacrifice some resolution or something, they already sacrifice plenty. I am unaware of a hardware limitation preventing T10 from doing dynamic weather, link?

scandisk_

Unconfirmed Member

why is it that people find it so hard to believe that maybe it's a hardware limitation just because "other games have better sounds" but would instantly recognize hardware capacity on forza's lack of dynamic weather and time even though gt6 and other last-gen games have those technical features? sounds and graphics both depend on hardware. just because graphics require more horsepower doesn't mean audio processor load is a throwaway amount.

I'm sorry but no one's buying that (i'm exaggerating of course but you get the point). Beside a few select cars, most of them sound like shit. On the PS2, cars sounded like shit, Then the PS3 came and they still sounded like shit. That ain't hardware, that's PD's mixed bag of priorities. They need to sort em out. A few features to expand the game's experience is good and all but to what expense? That's right some of the fundamentals of the game took a hit.

nib95

Banned

Based on this minor, down sampled comparison, one looks considerably more realistic than the other. *Cough* GT6 *cough*. But in any case, can't wait for GT6. Probably the game I'm most hyped about now, at least for the rest of the year, even on top of the ages released in the last month or so.

OmegaDL50

So is the anniversary thing from gamestop worth it? Are those cars exclusive to the pack? Can't decide what to do. :/

Might be worth it to get the 15th Anniversary edition just for the cars alone.

I said before but if it's anything like the GT5 Limited Edition, then most likely it will be the same scenario.

Just as the Chromeline / Stealth liveries never got released on PSN as DLC for GT5, then it's probably a fairly safe bet that the 15th Anniversary liveries won't get a DLC release for GT6 either.

In fact even the re-release of GT5 XL with all of the PSN DLC didn't include the Chromeline / Stealth cars.

Also something I did not bring up before, the Stealth / Chromeline models had some custom tuning over the normal versions of the cars, so a performance advantage may in fact exist with the 15th Anniversary livery cars.

A notable example was that the Chromeline McLaren F1 resembled a bit of a modified track build, and was ultimately heavier and less powerful than the regular version when you modded both. The Stealth was lighter and had higher power then the regular version.

prarts

If you would told me that it`s the next-gen GT I could belive you. Nurb at dusk will blow minds once again.
Wow, soooo much better (down shifts!) - adds a ton to the immersion. This should be their top priority for next installment: put in only existing premium cars, the same track rooster from GT6, 1080p@60fps, nothing more BUT give me that sounds. That`s all, mission complete.
That video made me want to look up more real life 787B on board footage. My god, that car is so nuts.
OBLIGATORY:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81zhOQ5PvaE
iCBuWsJJ2jh0W.gif

DAT SPEED!
DAT REALISTIC LIGHTING!

Dead Man

Cheers. Their Goodwood looks really... good :) Nice crowd, not a lot of them but good to see them moving. Grass trackside looked pretty good too.

AI is getting a lot better now as I go up in levels, actually had an amazing race against the AI. Went down to the last corner.

And two pictures of the moon mission.

http://i.minus.com/ibfsOQXTTnZJDA.jpg

http://i.minus.com/i4WDt7HNMoW7D.jpg

VERY good to hear.

dalin80

Banned
Via PSNation Podcast Facebook page:

Sorry but I refuse to believe that PD has a PR manager, for over a decade trying to tell them about any issue has been akin to trying to force your own head through a concrete wall.

12 years of the same cars having the wrong stats and counting.

JamboGT

Man, that Goodwood gif looks great!

I have been unlucky enough that my pedals for my wheel broke last week :/

Hopefully can borrow a set from work!

Top Bottom