• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo on PS4: how important is it for Sony?

No longer relevant in terms of the being one of the best sellers due to the decline of sales for racing games.

I will need to see how the GT7 does before I agree with this. GT has always been the most popular racing simulator. It will draw from an audience that other games in the genre don't. I think it will sell amazing(approaching 10 million)...assuming the quality is there.

GT is Sony's biggest franchise. Bigger than God of War or Uncharted. :p

Haha, I know that it is historically...that's why I prefaced my nonsense with "anecdotally". My scope is obviously quite small, but I definitely associate with different groups of gamers who don't overlap and no one is even remotely interested in it.

A GT would easily hit 10 million especially when it blows everything else out of the water.

Gran Turismo prints money and is a huge Killer app for Sony, so yeah, OP isn't really thinking this through.

Otherwise, 10 million for GT7 is definitely possible. As for it blowing everything else out of the water...this is entirely subjective, Polyphony is top class at certain things, but I get the impression the company is just too stubborn and focused on solely making an authentic, ever more pretty simulator, that they easily fall behind the competition in terms of feature set.

I would love also to see Polyphony enlist more help so they can get the games out faster too. When two years into the gen, Forza is on the brink of releasing something on the magnitude of Forza 6, and Gran Turismo 7 PS4 is nowhere in sight, I can't help but feel Polyphony just isn't keeping up.

Ray Down

Banned
No longer relevant in terms of the being one of the best sellers due to the decline of sales for racing games.

LOL.

GT7 will probably be one if not the best selling exclusive game on the PS4(U4 and LoU2 the only competition), but possible of the gen.

Pretty much every entry besides 6 (revealed and release in less then 7 months and PS4 launch) has sold over/around 10 million copies.

How the hell is it not relevant?

I would love also to see Polyphony enlist more help so they can get the games out faster too. When two years into the gen, Forza is on the brink of releasing something on the magnitude of Forza 6, and Gran Turismo 7 PS4 is nowhere in sight, I can't help but feel Polyphony just isn't keeping up.

GT7 is most likely being reveled this year, Yamauchi already hinting at it being a 2016 title.

Servbot24

Banned
Haha, I know that it is historically...that's why I prefaced my nonsense with "anecdotally". My scope is obviously quite small, but I definitely associate with different groups of gamers who don't overlap and no one is even remotely interested in it.

Well, there's not really much to say at this point. There's no story to speculate on or anything like that. Once the game is actually announced, people will get hyped.

I don't think GT6 did any damage. It just went by unnoticed due to poor timing. People were more interested in PS4 at that point.

LOL.

GT7 will probably be one if not the best selling exclusive game on the PS4(U4 and LoU2 the only competition), but possible of the gen.

Pretty much every entry besides 6 (revealed and release in less then 7 months and PS4 launch) has sold over/around 10 million copies.

How the hell is it not relevant?

GT7 is most likely being reveled this year, Yamauchi already hinting at it being a 2016 title.

That would be cool, I'm a bit surprised it wasn't at E3.

IISANDERII

This is just false. The microtransactions in GT6 are pointless given that they give you credits for basically every thing you do in the game. The login bonus net you a ton of credits, especially since they stack if you're logging in every day. It's easier and faster to earn credits in GT6 than it is in any previous game in the series.
I disagree completely. Many of the most expensive cars would've been completely out of reach without heavy grinding.

MaDKaT

I disagree completely. Many of the most expensive cars would've been completely out of reach without heavy grinding.

Been a while since I fired it up but I don't remember grinding much at all in 6, affording the most expensive cars with ease. Especially with the weekly challenges and sign on bonuses. I certainly remember serious grinding being necessary in the previous games sans memory card hacks and gamesharks.

Yiazmat

Otherwise, 10 million for GT7 is definitely possible. As for it blowing everything else out of the water...this is entirely subjective, Polyphony is top class at certain things, but I get the impression the company is just too stubborn and focused on solely making an authentic, ever more pretty simulator, that they easily fall behind the competition in terms of feature set.

tumblr_inline_n8lw2dkPPL1qfp53l.gif

ethomaz

Banned
Grind? I can buy any car in few seasonal events lol

These is no grind in GT6.

It is the opposite you have tons of money and nothing to spend.

It's a huge brand and I've played them all but I'd be lying if I said 5 and 6 weren't disappointing games.

GT7 seems to be repeating past mistakes like standard cars again which drives down the production value and cheapens the experience.

Sometimes its okay to have less content if that means the overall content stays at a higher quality level.

GT7 is important sales wise but in terms of reviews or accolades, it's no longer a AAA rated series...been over ten years since it was.

Woops I mean 90 plus on Metacritic.

Whereas Forza has scored higher over the past 10 years.

And to clarify I am a GT fan, but dodgy frame rate issues and standard cars in 5 and 6 turned me off

Ray Down

Banned

And to clarify I am a GT fan, but dodgy frame rate issues and standard cars in 5 and 6 turned me off

That still doesn't answer on why you think GT ain't a triple A series.

Like MaDKaT mentioned, do you complete the Seasonal Events? They tend to give a lot of credits. Right now this is what the current SE's look like

Italian Festival
Gold: 130k
Silver: 78k
Bronze 65k

Muscle Cars
Gold: 210k
Silver: 126k
Bronze: 105k

Rain Meisters
Gold: 365k
Silver: 219k
Bronze: 185,500

EVO/Impreza Lap
Gold: 99k
Silver: 59k
Bronze: 34,650

1980 or Later Racer
Gold: 250k
Silver: 125k
Bronze: 75k

Lightweight Car
Gold: 120k
Silver: 72k
Bronze: 36k

Rally
Gold: 230k
Silver: 127k
Bronze: 80,500

Non-Race Car
Gold: 100k
Silver: 60k
Bronze: 35,500

NASCAR
Gold: 240k
Silver: 120k
Bronze: 72k

Drift
Gold: 2,400
Silver: 1,400
Bronze: 900

Drift
Gold: 225k
Silver: 124k
Bronze: 78,750

And as I mentioned, your login bonus also applies here. So credits really shouldn't be an issue.

farmerboy

It's important for Sony but more important for Polyphony.

So much potential, and I too, think that when we see the new GT we will be blown away. They just have too much resources at their disposal. Tech wise it'll be a treat, but what we're all worried about is the 'game'.

C'mon Polyphony, make it happen.

GT7 is important sales wise but in terms of reviews or accolades, it's no longer a AAA rated series...been over ten years since it was.

What do you mean by AAA rated series? What does AAA mean to you? It's more than review scores, and Gran Turismo games have always reviewed really well, even though that had nothing to do with being a AAA title...

Arklite

Falling below Forza's meta score doesn't make it less important, less of a premier franchise, or decrease its enormous fanbase, but I'm not really sure what you're trying to say about its importance/relevance. For Sony at least, it's extremely important and expected by fans.

Kill3r7

Not as big a deal for Sony given the PS4's success but it is extremely important for the franchise. In a slowly dying genre GT7 can play a huge role in bringing people back.

Not as big a deal for Sony given the PS4's success but it is extremely important for the franchise. In a slowly dying genre GT7 can play a huge role in bringing people back.

I don't know what you mean by dying because most racing games still sell over a million copies. Even ones with mixed receptions like Driveclub sold over 2 million copies. If you mean the amount of racing games, I can see where you are coming from however but that goes for many genres to be frank.

Best wishes.

Memento

Wut. Gran Turismo 6 reviewed better than Forza 5.

Also, since when AAA means games if 90+ metacritic? I guess Batman Arkham Knight and Destiny arent AAA, right? Pack it up guys.

Putty

GTPlanet just tweeted that sales of GT6 are at 2.37m.

A mil or 2 lower than I thought but given the timing of its release, I'm not sure what Sonys forecast was/is. GT7 will absolutely be a major release when it lands, 6 was clearly an anomaly ....

Putty

Also, since when AAA means games if 90+ metacritic? I guess Batman Arkham Knight and Destiny arent AAA, right? Pack it up guys.

Particular sets of "fans" use the metacritic scoring system to define what does and doesn't make something AAA or not. Over 90 = AAA, under and its AA or even A.

Renekton

A mil or 2 lower than I thought but given the timing of its release, I'm not sure what Sonys forecast was/is. GT7 will absolutely be a major release when it lands, 6 was clearly an anomaly ....
That's depressingly low for the franchise, if true.

Forza Motorsport 5 didn't even score an 80, let alone beat Gran Turismo 6 on Metacritic. But of course, sublime "AAA" series.

Arbitrary classification of a games "success" gets tiresome.

Best wishes.

Particular sets of "fans" use the metacritic scoring system to define what does and doesn't make something AAA or not. Over 90 = AAA, under and its AA or even A.

Really, so people are just making up what "AAA" means now?

Do people even realize what "AAA" actually meant? It's all about productions and expense on a game development, nothing with ratings. It's marketing gimmick speak.

Sky Chief

I think still it's good number considering released close to PS4 launch so it lost attention because many were expecting PS4 version instead of going for PS3.

No it's a total failure because it's a Sony first party game so everyone involved knew long before the game came out when it was releasing and when the PS4 was coming out. It's just unbelievable how poorly such an important franchise is managed. No excuses here this is just bad business.

It needs to be fully featured and have key issues addressed.

GT6 was a commercial failure by the series standards.

All cars need to be premium, sounds need to be better, menu and UI improved etc.

Didnt know that Polyphony has an 'office' in Amsterdam. I wonder if he works from home, or maybe uses as spare desk @ Guerrilla or something ;)

I don't think that they do. They have three development studios, but they're all in Japan. Two main studios in Tokyo and Fukuoka and an online studio in Tokyo. There's also GT Explore, but they don't actually develop games. I'd imagine that as you mentioned, Kevin and Mike (a Forza audio lead that's now at Polyphony) are both just working out of their own studio or one of Sony's studios near where they live.

I'm not surprised at all and likely confirms my suspension that racing games are no longer a HUGE seller like fps and open-world games. I see GT7 selling 4 million within two years of it's release.

system11

PS4 is lacking in good racing games, it will do really well. Pcars fixed many issues but the controls are still really .. strange no matter how they'er adjusted. Driveclub is decent enough but 30fps drags it down from the amazing podium it could have stood on.

And that's it really, other than that a pile of 30fps trash.

Top Bottom