• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport announced

Unknown?

GT6 was a mistake.
Wasted time they could have used to develop GT7/sport instead. By the time they started to develop the engine for PS4 they realized the GT6 tracks were going to look like ass on PS4... only then they decided it was not worth their "time" to release DLC for GT6. (and thats not even mentioning the time wasted developing the course maker which is shit on PS3).

You do realize GT6s engine was entirely new from GT5 and was designed with the PS4 in mind? Similarly to how Beyond was made with PS4 in mind for QD. I hardly consider making an engine with the future in mind a waste. If they hadn't made GT6, Sport would take longer.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Only true locked 60 fps racers so far have been on Xbox one.

http://youtu.be/789LTeCgjjI

Yeah I just watched a Project Cars 1.04 patch video and it's still nowhere near 60fps locked so I'll hold off. I mean I have a good PC so I could get one for that, but the increased community size would be nice on PS4.

GHG

Yeah I just watched a Project Cars 1.04 patch video and it's still nowhere near 60fps locked so I'll hold off. I mean I have a good PC so I could get one for that, but the increased community size would be nice on PS4.

PCars has a huge community on the PC. No reason not to get it for the PC if your PC is decent.

I looked at duplicates (Anniversaries, Base, Stealth and Chrome Line models and other things) + Nascar models and I think there are about 108 duplicate cars or something like this! maybe a little more or less.

zedge

I really did not like project cars at all. Even with all the patches it was not as smooth as forza and still had a lot of screen tearing on ps4. PC is likely better. Looking forward to a new gran tourismo. No doubt it will be awesome.

Melfice7

GT6 is one of the biggest miss placed bets I have seen from a console maker for a single game.

It should have been a quick 2 year sequel that was just a ironed out GT5 and out in 2012 for PS3 OR it should have been given another year and been a PS4 game in 2014.

Releasing it as a PS3 game less then a month after the PS4 dropped.... The fuck? Even the all powerful GT brand wont overcome that.

Yeah selling 5 Million sure is a misplaced bet heh but i agree it shouldn't have been on PS3

Still not having a taste of GT on PS4 after 2+ years is ridiculous.
Driveclub is no excuse, should be blamed for not being motorstorm really. :p

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Yeah selling 5 Million sure is a misplaced bet heh but i agree it shouldn't have been on PS3

I disagree, it would not have had enough time to showcase the PS4 as well as it should have and it would have hurt DriveClub even more, and they were not aware of the upcoming online multiplayer issues, and all for what?

I understand people want their new toy to have lots of games, even more I would say as the PS4 has plenty of attractive software, but taking care of your customers even when you are launching a new platform is not a weakness, but a strength and a quality that makes it a lot easier on me to get their consoles at launch and for others to jump when they can afford to, knowing that they are not going to get a console with software support drying up soon.

Cross generation games can be awesome technically, MGS V shows it clearly for example, and are good for those people who have not had the chance to upgrade yet. We are getting lots of games we like that do push the new platforms, depriving other users of games sooner so that we can get even more games is a kind of greed that would not make it for a better or as successful ecosystem IMHO.

Melfice7

That's not very high for GT.

That cant be the standard to say if its a success or not. By that reasoning if the PS4 doesn't sell more than 155 million like the PS2, then it failed.

5 million is huge especially considering how GT5 turned off so many people/critics and the awful timing it came out

Sky Saw

Banned
That cant be the standard to say if its a success or not. By that reasoning if the PS4 doesn't sell more than 155 million like the PS2, then it failed.

5 million is huge especially considering how GT5 turned off so many people/critics and the awful timing it came out

GT will always sell a lot, even when the game is underwhelming like 6. I just hope Sport and 7 is a return to PD actually innovating and not stuck in the past like the previous two games.

GT6/Sport comparison:

ur1YTv.jpg

Credit to Farushi (GTP)

Looks like another track rebuild like the Ring appears to be.

I thought GT6 only sold about 3 million.

PD updated their site in December and it shows GT6 at 4.7m. GT5 also moved up to being the second best selling game in the franchise at nearly 12m.

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/products/

So GT: Sport is basically GT7:p, you know what? Fucking wikid, I absolutely loved GT5:p and is an understatement to say I got a huge amount of game for £20. They supported the game so well, GT5 eventually be great but GT6 was meh at best.

I'll be there day 1 for GT Sport no matter if there is no SP aspect however I hope there is something.

Namikaze

Wait, what am I reading? PD is actually getting rid of standard cars? That's amazing news if true, why put PS2 quality assets in a PS4 game? That mismatch would drive me absolutely insane, even if I never used the standard cars personally, lol.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You do realize GT6s engine was entirely new from GT5 and was designed with the PS4 in mind? Similarly to how Beyond was made with PS4 in mind for QD. I hardly consider making an engine with the future in mind a waste. If they hadn't made GT6, Sport would take longer.

So why not bring out gt6 on ps4 asap? Why create an engine that is scalable, create a new game around it, but then not use that on ps4?

A gt6HD in 2014 would have been a nice placeholder. Even now we may have to wait three years from ps4 launch...to get a prologue?

theWB27

Wait....wait. ..wait. So you're saying PD SAVED time by releasing a future proof game/tech on last gen when the future was already there? That's pretty nonsensical.

Wait....wait. ..wait. So you're saying PD SAVED time by releasing a future proof game/tech on last gen when the future was already there? That's pretty nonsensical.

It took 3 years for PD to make GT6 were they suppose to sit around for 3 years doing nothing ?
You could say that they could have port it to PS4 but they most likely did not expect last gen to die so fast .
And Sony also had DC that was suppose to come out around launch .

Yiazmat

Yeah, no. You're saying around 174 cars are duplicates? Lol Most of the gross duplicates(miatas, civics, skylines, etc) are standards. That said there's nothing wrong with having lots of the same car but different years/trim. I wish more models had all the different years and trims.
I didn't say exactly 174, but it's definitely more than 140.

60+ Anniversary/Base Models
30+ Nascar
20+ GT-R's
10~ RedBull X

That's 120+ right there. Then you have things like 2 Huayras, 2 Veyrons, 2 DeltaWings, 3 Lancer VI, 2 Viper GTS, 2 Cappuccinos, 2 X-BOWs, 2 Ford GT's, 2 Acura/Honda NSX, Toyota 86/BRZ/FR-S, SuperGT's, Karts, etc. And things start to add up.

theWB27

It took 3 years for PD to make GT6 were they suppose to sit around for 3 years doing nothing ?
You could say that they could have port it to PS4 but they most likely did not expect last gen to die so fast .
And Sony also had DC that was suppose to come out around launch .

No. They could've spent those three years making a ps4 game. Especially since the tech was made with the PS4 in mind(says the poster I quoted). Sony had first party games ready for release day and those devs didn't make those games/tech the week before release. It took years. There's no excuse for GT6 not releasing on ps4 other than they made that miscalculated choice. Last gen had been around for 7-8 years and it was time to move on.

No. They could've spent those three years making a ps4 game. Especially since the tech was made with the PS4 in mind(says the poster I quoted). Sony had first party games ready for release day and those devs didn't make those games/tech the week before release. It took years. There's no excuse for GT6 not releasing on ps4 other than they made that miscalculated choice. Last gen had been around for 7-8 years and it was time to move on.

Sony is not going to release there biggest selling IP on such a small user base.
So as i as it would have be cross gen (which would have suck) and that would have also kill DC .
Also engines are made with the future in mind so doing one on old hardware is not a big deal .

Well PD would have known PS4 was on the drawing board and built for that in mind. I'm sure it's what other PS4 devs did for launch titles.

Do you really think Sony would release a IP that sell around 10 million at a console launch . ( the last one still sell around 5 million)
Plus there was DC that suppose to come out around then also .

mike4001_

Even if they got rid of the standard cars they should still have near 300 plus Premium cars (maybe more) from GT5 and GT6 .

Aren´t PS3s premium cars now more of less PS4´s standard cars ?? (quality wise)

I really hope they start from scratch and don´t pull off the standard/premium car nonsense once again.

KRaZyAmmo

Aren´t PS3s premium cars now more of less PS4´s standard cars ?? (quality wise)

I really hope they start from scratch and don´t pull off the standard/premium car nonsense once again.
I hope so too. That was a baffling choice. They confirmed they were gonna have the premium/standard bullsh*t

Sky Saw

Banned
Are you going to explain how Polyphony Digital didn't innovate in the previous gen?

I can't think of anything they did to innovate. Well I guess using PS2 assets completely unchanged in a PS3 game was a first. Same boring career mode, same horrible engine sounds, same crap UI yada yada. I was looking forward to the course creator but that turned out to be a joke too.

All the things that were great about GT5/6 were things that were already great in GT before-so

So why not bring out gt6 on ps4 asap? Why create an engine that is scalable, create a new game around it, but then not use that on ps4?

A gt6HD in 2014 would have been a nice placeholder. Even now we may have to wait three years from ps4 launch...to get a prologue?

why-is-patience-a-virtue-why-cant-hurry-the-fuck-up-be-a-virtue.jpg

I agree

theWB27

Sony is not going to release there biggest selling IP on such a small user base.
So as i as it would have be cross gen (which would have suck) and that would have also kill DC .
Also engines are made with the future in mind so doing one on old hardware is not a big deal .

Do you really think Sony would release a IP that sell around 10 million at a console launch . ( the last one still sell around 5 million)
Plus there was DC that suppose to come out around then also .

As opposed to releasing their biggest ip to go against the ps4? Cause that's essentially what they did. Not too many people were gonna buy a new shiny system along with a last gen racer. When you get a new system you want shiny new games.

That other company caught flak for releasing their flagship racer at launch with less content. But it was allowed to grow with new tech. Now...possibly. ..Sony is doing that same with their flagship racer, except 2-3 years later.

Shin-Ra

I can't think of anything they did to innovate. Well I guess using PS2 assets completely unchanged in a PS3 game was a first. Same boring career mode, same horrible engine sounds, same crap UI yada yada. I was looking forward to the course creator but that turned out to be a joke too.

All the things that were great about GT5/6 were things that were already great in GT before-so
Let me help you remember.

Gran Turismo 5 (2010)

1280x720p60 4xMSAA / 1280x1080p60 QAA+TAA
Stereoscopic 3D
7.1ch surround
Custom soundtrack
Visual and performance damage modelling
Dynamic weather simulation (and associated effects like windscreen raindrops and wipers)
Dynamic time of day simulation
Racing suit customisation
Special Events / Driving Schools including Karting, Nascar & Red Bull X (presented by Seb Vettel, Jeff Gordon, Sébastien Loeb)
Course Maker
Photo travel with simulated camera (SS/3D capture)
LAN Multi-monitor (2/3 +2)
In-game community profile, social feed, message board and Gran-Turismo.com integration
B-spec AI-driver management
Remote races
GT PSP car import and GT TV
PS Eye face tracking
Driving Force GT race-quick adjustment dial
That's just GT5, excluding the more obvious graphical and feature additions from GT HD and GT5P.

Sky Saw

Banned
Let me help you remember.

That's just GT5, excluding the more obvious graphical and feature additions from GT HD and GT5P.

Oh you mean innovate in terms of just the GT games? I meant in general. Early GT games used to lead and everyone followed. Pretty much all of those additions you listed were in other racers before GT5. But yes having dynamic weather in GT5 was amazing I will give you that.

Shin-Ra

Oh you mean innovate in terms of just the GT games? I meant in general. Early GT games used to lead and everyone followed. Pretty much all of those additions you listed were in other racers before GT5. But yes having dynamic weather in GT5 was amazing I will give you that.
Are you honestly (still) trying to say PD innovated none of those features?

benzy

Which sim racer had a fully dynamic and changing time of day and weather conditions before GT5?

Sky Saw

Banned
Which sim racer had a fully dynamic and changing time of day and weather conditions before GT5?

I said I gave him that one.

Most of that stuff was in PC sims long before GT. Honestly the Forza series did more to innovate than GT over the last gen with the auction house stuff and pant system. Forza does a lot of things wrong but in terms of innovation I've got to give it to them.

ethomaz

Banned
You can't be serious.

Most GT5 fratures are not in today games yet and I won't talk about GT6 that had less innovation.

RankoSD

Honestly the Forza series did more to innovate than GT over the last gen with the auction house stuff and pant system. Forza does a lot of things wrong but in terms of innovation I've got to give it to them.
So, to a racing genre, according to you, the auction house and a paint system is more innovative than a dynamic weather and time of day simulation? Ok then...

Sky Saw

Banned
So, to a racing genre, according to you, the auction house and a paint system is more innovative than a dynamic weather and time of day simulation? Ok then...

Nope.

And how many tracks were dynamic? I seem to remember it only being available on a select few.

You can't be serious.

Most GT5 fratures are not in today games yet and I won't talk about GT6 that had less innovation.

Like what? And 6 was basically 5 all over again with slight UI updates and suspension animation.

For the sake of comparison, let me go over which things in your list came before GT5 that I know of:

1280x720p60 4xMSAA / 1280x1080p60 QAA+TAA - Resolution isn't really an innovation, and the game rarely touched 60fps. Forza 3 did real 720p60 in 2009 by sacrificing 4xMSAA for 2x in full races.
Stereoscopic 3D - Don't know a specific answer, but I know it was done before
7.1ch surround - See above
Custom soundtrack - Insert any OG Xbox game here
Visual and performance damage modelling - Insert any Forza or PC sim here
Dynamic weather simulation (and associated effects like windscreen raindrops and wipers) + Dynamic time of day simulation - Unsure of specifics, I'm sure someone knows
Racing suit customisation - PGR 4
Special Events / Driving Schools including Karting, Nascar & Red Bull X (presented by Seb Vettel, Jeff Gordon, Sébastien Loeb) - I wouldn't call tutorials with voiceover an innovation, but nevertheless early Colin McRae Rally games and RBR had this
Course Maker - PGR3/4 allowed you to create proper routes around an existing locale instead of generating through variables
Photo travel with simulated camera (SS/3D capture) - Plenty of games have photomode, don't know of any with camera-like verisons
LAN Multi-monitor (2/3 +2) - Unknown
In-game community profile, social feed, message board and Gran-Turismo.com integration - Any game from 2008 or so onwards
B-spec AI-driver management - Forza 1's drivatar system
Remote races - Unknown

GT PSP car import and GT TV
PS Eye face tracking
Driving Force GT race-quick adjustment dial
These last 3 are GT-specific so I don't know what you expect for comparison

No fanboyism here, I just feel GT has lost its way somewhat and hope PD returns to former glory.

That's great, and I'm sure discussing the glory of the auction house and a paint system that Forza "innovated" would be more appropriate next gen racer round up thread. Not backseat modding but I expected this thread to be about Grant Turismo Sport.

Shin-Ra

For the sake of comparison, let me go over which things in your list came before GT5 that I know of:
You keep chiming in without even attempting to follow the conversation. The list of features new to GT5 was in reply to this:

But apparently GT keeps using the same UI, even though it changes every game.

Sky Saw

Banned
That's great, and I'm sure discussing the glory of the auction house and a paint system that Forza "innovated" would be more appropriate next gen racer round up thread. Not backseat modding but I expected this thread to be about Grant Turismo Sport.

Ok I won't mention Forza again if it upsets people.

But apparently GT keeps using the same UI, even though it changes every game.

Worded poorly but what I meant was, it's crap every game, even though they try to change it.

Top Bottom