• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo SPORT | OT | Putting it all on the line

Korezo

Did you buy the game for the single player content?

Why not get a month on PS Plus so you can check the online out first?

I bought the game because GT is one of my favorite games ever. I always buy every GT game. And spend 1000s of hours on the game.

In GT sport I already tried some races, I'm on a 1 month ps+ trial that should expire any day now. I can't get hooked to the online because the races are on dumb timers which was reason why I also almost never played the closed GTSPORT beta. I prefer the quick match making of GT5P, where they had the events for the day and you just selected it and immediately got matched. I don't want to be waiting 10-20 mins every time I want to race.

In the span of 2 days and not even a total of 10 hours I should have 100% gold the entire game, then what? Every time I play the game I wonder on what was the time spent making the game. I don't see how this online is any better than GT5P, GT5P to me was the most enjoyable online GT game. I'm fucking sad.
Then you get gold in the challenge grid (takes longer because there is a ton more of them. Like 8 stages and 10 challenges each)
Then you get gold in the course training grid. That's harder.

Then you get a win on easy medium and hard against AI in a huge list of races.

Come on.

There is about 50 hours (or more) of SP content to sweep the golds. If you get stuck on one challenge it can eat several hours alone.

I prefer the quick match making of GT5P, where they had the events for the day and you just selected it and immediately got matched. I don't want to be waiting 10-20 mins every time I want to race.

Haven't played the final game yet, but in the beta I felt the same way.

"Oh I have to wait 20 minutes for an Oval track I don't enjoy or just fuck off and not play at all? ok..."

There should be more event options per day and less wait time.

bombshell

yes, you can downtune cars

Yeah, knew that. I'm just surprised to see so many entrants already had figured out to enter in a downtuned car that was clearly better than the stock N300 car that I entered in.

I thought all cars were supposed to be strictly balanced in BoP races. Or maybe it's just a car well suited for Brands Hatch.

KdotIX

Downtuning is the new upgrading.

Pretty sure a downtuned n400 makes mincemeat out of any stock n300.

Thats quite an interesting take on things. Will have to check out how that works. I bought the Chevvy from the Mileage Exchange which I think is an N400.

Threw down a time on the Northern Isle Speedway this morning 14.147 iirc. Come at me Gaf.

Haven't played the final game yet, but in the beta I felt the same way.

"Oh I have to wait 20 minutes for an Oval track I don't enjoy or just fuck off and not play at all? ok..."

There should be more event options per day and less wait time.

Yeah, I refuse to play an oval track so tonight it was basically waiting 40 minutes for another race. Too long IMO.

They don't have turning circle of a boat, that alone makes a huge difference.

Seems like a flaw in the system if it's supposed to create a level playing field.

Duallusion

Sorry if this has been asked, but is the livery editor in this as good as Forza 5 (and I assume the later games)?

This will swing a purchase I think...

Pretty much, I'd say, with the added bonus of being able to upload SVG files (option not yet turned on to keep server load in check).

There's no music player? No way I can check out and play tracks from the soundtrack?

It's in My Library. But yeah that's literally all you can do with it. A song came on tonight that sounded like whales being murdered and I wanted to take that out of rotation, but nope, no way to customize that.

danowat

Banned
It's in My Library. But yeah that's literally all you can do with it. A song came on tonight that sounded like whales being murdered and I wanted to take that out of rotation, but nope, no way to customize that.
Yeah, it's just a list of tracks, no playlist customization or anything.

bombshell

Well the M4 coupe is much more lively in corner exits (using wheel and no assists, 0 TC), so have to be very careful with it, but I'm already destroying my stock N300 Lancer Evo times that I had set prior.

if everyone is doing it, it will be a level playing field lol

:D

kriskrosbbk

Ke0s40q.gif

Aw Yeah

How did you acquire this one?

IISANDERII

Mhmmm my Samsung smart TV usually has a popup if HDR is activated, eg for FFXV. For this game despite activating it in-game, no notification. Is it on? Anyone else with a Samsung smart TV not getting those?
I don't get pop up notices on my Samsung but when I open the output menu it says Game Mode with HDR next to the little gamepad icon.

AALLx

Just bought the limited steelbook edition. Don't know why I'm doing this to myself because my internet is absolute shit, and it'll take at least a week to download the 12Gb patch. Anything I can do in the game while waiting for the patch to download? I'm easily amused just by taking any car on any track and shaving off time.

We made it boys and girls. Quote this post if you want your PSN in the OT for GAF GT Racing
AALLx

Do you agree with the criticisms?

The person is factually wrong on a lot of what they wrote but I don't like VR in GT:S and I'm a big VR racing fan and have spent hundreds of hours with multiple games.

GT:S VR isn't fit for purpose, certainly isn't a showcase and its not because of the visuals its because of the gameplay and lack of options. Your head is where you chest is and there is no way to adjust this unlike every other VR racer. The car moves around you slightly like the seat can swivel, I had the back end flick out a few times whilst I remained perfectly straight I assume this is a motion sickness precaution but its awful for those that don't get it and it screws up the handling. The handling feels gutted from the main game and has very little road feedback comparatively. There is no head vibration option, this is good for those with motion sickness but if you have played any other racer in VR for more than a few hours it feels remarkably flat and tame. The AI is so bad it may as well not even be there. None of your VR stats go towards in game progress except for miles driven. The amount of laps you do depends upon the car there's no options to select the amount.

What is good is the sense of scale and is very accurate, far better than the tracks in the main game. Track and car detail are very good though the trees are very poor especially compared to the competition. There are more than two lighting conditions which is also good but depends upon the track. Overall it has good quality assets but lacks all of the bare basics to make it compelling.

When you look at what all the others are doing and how many options are there to make a better experience for the players and then contrast to GT:S it feels like a cheap cash in experience you find for movies not a product from a first party studio, especially when everything else is so well polished.

hamchan

So it looks like they match make based on the PSN account region rather than where the PS4 actually is and the ping it gets to other people.

Kinda a bummer using a US account in Australia, though the lag wasn’t too bad against Americans.

Syntsui

So it looks like they match make based on the PSN account region rather than where the PS4 actually is and the ping it gets to other people.

Kinda a bummer using a US account in Australia, though the lag wasn’t too bad against Americans.
This is not true, I have an American account and was always matched against Brazilians and Brazilians using American/Canadian accounts.

This must be the case with you too, because there is no way your ping isn't too bad being in Australia against Americans. (this of course was my experience in the beta as I still didn't receive the full copy, but I seriously doubt they would change it).

thelastword

Banned
I love Circuit experience so much. It's my jam.

Yes absolutely love circuit experience, you get a tonne of CR too and you learn the tracks which is quite important for sport races....

I mostly did license tests yesterday, but digging into my options menu just before I logged off, I realized that I'm stuck on 2k/favor framerate, the option is greyed out with no option to change to quality mode. Hopefully when I get on today, that is sorted out......

Surfheart

Kinda dissapointed with the visuals? I dont have a HDR tv but I’m running on a pro and I dont know, lighting and environment detail seems very flat, the photo mode images made for unrealistic expectations I guess. I am running in the favour frame rate mode though not sure what difference this makes except to resolution?

Has the look of a enhanced PS3 GT

hamchan

This is not true, I have an American account and was always matched against Brazilians and Brazilians using American/Canadian accounts.

This must be the case with you too, because there is no way your ping isn't too bad being in Australia against Americans. (this of course was my experience in the beta as I still didn't receive the full copy, but I seriously doubt they would change it).

Well, it’s true for me, don’t know what to tell you and I’m certainly not lying about this. Every flag was either American and Canadian in my race. It was in the oval speedway track so it was pure chaos anyways, who knows how it’ll look like on a proper circuit.

My times for the sign up tournaments next month are also 3am to 7am. Is it the same set time for everyone in the world or do they change it for prime time depending on region?

I love Circuit experience so much. It's my jam.
*fist bump*

Its all I've played so far, outside of a few time trials for kicks.

So much better than similar ideas in other driving games. The videos call out visual braking points, identify unstable and drivable kerbs, help to know which turns can be taken flat out with the right rhythm, and properly set you up to think several turns ahead.

I usually look up YouTubes of real world courses and track instruction, but these GTS videos have zero fluff. Just everything you need to know to keep your speed up throughout. Add the instant restarts and instant replays in-line with each completed event and you've got something really special, and addictive.

I felt like splurging and got the entry level SVT Tomahawk. You know, the only with "only" like 1100hp. Well, I got it to hit the rev limiter at 273mph/440kph and this is the slowest of the three, which is about the same as the Red Bull X2011 in low-downforce race trim (top speed mode was a bit over 500kph). Equal time around the Outer Loop as the hyper McLaren that made up time in slower corners. That laser engine thing was ~5 seconds faster largely because of the acceleration. That track is going to have to be the benchmark for now, without something like Spa or LeMans to test particular traits the cars allegedly specialize in. They all understeer like crazy at low speeds while the active aero can't help.

My largest complaint right now is actually that you can get substantially faster lap times smashing all the walls in time trial on that track (~5 seconds gained).

Should probably buy the Bugatti VGT for comparisons but, I don't know, it feels so... plain and generic compared to the batshit insane concept cars. It's mostly just a super flashy version of a car that already exists.
How did you acquire this one?
That's 100% golds on driving school. 48 total. It's actually not that that challenging. The most brutal stuff seems in campaign and circuit experience (though YMMV there).

danowat

Banned
One thing to bear in mind about the BoP for different classes, the preconfigured power and weight ratio isn't optimal from stock.......

danowat

Banned
In a BoP race you can't change tuning settings for a car already in the correct class can you?
You can, as long as you stay within class.

Take the Audi TT n300, stock the power and weight are 100,but you can push the power up 3 notches before it hits the n400 ceiling, same with the power.

There is some wriggle room in the classes.

Foxxsoxx

Kinda dissapointed with the visuals? I dont have a HDR tv but I’m running on a pro and I dont know, lighting and environment detail seems very flat, the photo mode images made for unrealistic expectations I guess. I am running in the favour frame rate mode though not sure what difference this makes except to resolution?

Yeah, some of the tracks look very... euuugh... I'm not a racing game guy at all though so I'm not sure if it's normal or not, I was using the wheel view and noticed everything popping out from my rear view mirror, super jarring. The sun going through clouds looks amazing in HDR though.

bombshell

You can, as long as you stay within class.

Take the Audi TT n300, stock the power and weight are 100,but you can push the power up 3 notches before it hits the n400 ceiling, same with the power.

There is some wriggle room in the classes.

I see, thanks. Maybe that's why I felt my Lancer Evo N300 was outclassed, I will check if that can be taken up a few notches.

Vroadstar

Have to strongly disagree, I'm on Pro and 4KTV without HDR and it looks nowhere near an enhanced PS3 GT.

Welp, that was the driving school, I'd day about an hour is a bit short but it was enjoyable. Although I do like a challenge, I'm not going to attempt the "1 sec faster than gold" with a DS4.

edit: Oh it was just beginner lol

Syntsui

Well, it’s true for me, don’t know what to tell you and I’m certainly not lying about this. Every flag was either American and Canadian in my race. It was in the oval speedway track so it was pure chaos anyways, who knows how it’ll look like on a proper circuit.

My times for the sign up tournaments next month are also 3am to 7am. Is it the same set time for everyone in the world or do they change it for prime time depending on region?
It's impossible have good ping being in Australia against Americans. They are Australians with American accounts, isn't that common because of the atrocious pricing of your country? It certainly is for mine.

I'm in Brazil and my flag is American, it's tied to the account not the exact region you are currently in.

bombshell

Oh wow, the Lancer Evo can be taken up to 111% power and still be N300. No wonder I felt it was slower than my opponents! lol

Edit: Hmm danowat, are you sure about this? When I go to register for the N300 race it pops up that it will adjust my power ratio to 96% and weight ratio to 102%.

Yeah, the car balance where garage cars are allowed is... bad. I respect the insanity of upgrading weaker cars, but I'd ban tuning down stuff of higher class if I had the ability to.

The BOP balance in Gr4 and 3 has felt better than the closed beta was, but it still has a ways to go. Lord only knows how bad the Gr1 balance is with almost zero data from public races to base the BOP on.
Oh wow, the Lancer Evo can be taken up to 111% power and still be N300. No wonder I felt it was slower than my opponents! lol
Dammit, I was so busy making my goofball livery I didn't try this out. Now my 2 seconds a lap slower at Brands Hatch on what I felt were almost perfect laps to qualify makes sense.

DavidDesu

The only two criticisms I agree with is the one about not being able to move your head freely in all directions and the easy AI. Every other criticism is false especially the graphics.

The graphics completely blow DCVR out of the water. Yea I'm playing on the Pro and that may have something to do with it but there's no comparison between GTS VR and DCVR when it comes to graphics. DCVR is so blurry, it's like there's Vaseline in your eyes the whole time. I got used to it the way it was after countless hours playing DCVR but GTS feels like "I can finally see clearly now the rain is gone!" lol. The tracks on GT, especially tracks like Tokyo Expressway, demolish any of the tracks in DCVR both in detail and clarity. Some of the tracks even have 3D crowds in the stands. The cars are also more detailed than the ones in DCVR. The polish of the GTS's VR goes beyond what we saw in DCVR in almost every way that matters. The only down side like I said is lack of Multiplayer options. If GTS manages to get multiplayer it will be better than DCVR in almost every way possible.

I tried the VR after a few hours mucking around in the main game last night. I'm only on a base PS4 so it was a mixed bag for me.

First and foremost though this is highly playable in VR and it didn't make me queasy at all whereas Driveclub always did within a few minutes. It's actually the most "head comfortable" VR thing I've played yet. I had a blast with this.

They seem to have the scale very accurate as well whereas Driveclub felt off to me in that regards. This was fully realised when I drove on Willow Springs when the moon was in the sky and the virtual moon was the exact same size in my vision as it would be in real life. Might seem a silly thing but it just goes to show how close to real life VR can get. Will be amazing when we get 8K screens in our VR as the moon was just a fuzzy white disc in the headset...

Which is my main issue here on a base PS4, it's just blurry. Even the car dashboard readouts are blurry. Readable, just, bit pretty blurry. I definitely imagine the Pro has a much sharper image which would absolutely elevate the VR for me. My recollection of Driveclub was that actually the interiors were sharper. Think I need a Pro.

The "fade to black" when your head goes somewhere it shouldn't be, or even just too close to an object but touching it, needs to be scaled back or just removed. Let us glitch through the side window if we want, it's better than this.

Overall I'm happy that VR racing is something that is here now and could and should gain more integration in future (I'm thinking GT Sport on PS5 with a new PSVR). I'm glad GT doesn't make me feel off after playing it, and I wish I had a Pro and a wheel to really make the most of it. They NEED to at least allow 1v1 online VR racing at some point and hopefully races with say 6 competitors or so and lots of options. As it stands this is a demo VR mode but that's OK, for now.

hamchan

It's impossible have good ping being in Australia against Americans. They are Australians with American accounts, isn't that common because of the atrocious pricing of your country? It certainly is for mine.

I'm in Brazil and my flag is American, it's tied to the account not the exact region you are currently in.

Well if it was all Australians using American accounts I would be fine with that but to not even get a single Australian flag in the race with 23 other people makes me not believe I was in an Australian matchmaking pool.

As an Aussie you should be playing on the Japanese servers. They're 8000km away but they're still the closest.

You'll probably find that there aren't any South American servers, which is why they're getting put on US servers with you.

Top Bottom