• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto series has sold over 220 million units worldwide

ZhugeEX

Banned
The Grand Theft Auto series has sold in more than 220 million units across Console, PC, Mobile and all other interactive entertainment formats since its debut on PlayStation and PC in 1997. This includes the more than 54 million unit sales attributed to Grand Theft Auto 5 on PS3, PS4, 360, One and PC.

Grand Theft Auto 5 has doubled the sales of Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, the previous best seller which has sold 28 million units to date on Console and PC. Take Two also noted that Grand Theft Auto Online monthly active users are up 40% in 2015 over 2014 and that more than 70% of all Grand Theft Auto 5 players with an internet connection have gone online at least once. In the past 3 months alone Grand Theft Auto products accounted for around 60% of Take Two's total revenue.

Here are some more statistics for Take Two -

• Take Two have 11 franchises with a game that has sold more than 5 million units
  • Red Dead Redemption has sold in more than 14 million units worldwide.
  • Borderlands 2 has sold in more than 13 million units to date and the total franchise has sold in more than 26 million.
  • Sid Meier's series has sold more than 31 million units worldwide.
  • 27 million registered users for NBA Online in China!
  • NBA 2k15 has sold in 7 million. Higher than 2k14 at same time.
  • WWE 2K15 has sold in more than 3 million units, up more than 40% compared to last years game at in the same timeframe.
  • Mafia 3 will launch between April 2016 and March 2017.
  • Take2 have new IP's to launch + established franchise launches for next years. One new AAA game which is unannounced will launch next year.
  • Take Two have more than 45 individual titles that have sold more than 1 million copies.
  • Take2 will spend 17% of net revenue on marketing this fiscal year. Roughly ~$250 million.
  • Around 81% of net revenue generated by Take2 came from Console sales. The other 19% came from PC and Mobile.

Source: Take Two & ZhugeEX

Komo

Banned
Sweet. They should remake GTA 1 and 2 in celebration of this feat. In particular 2.

I can dream

Hopefully the sales of GTAV are a big enough indication for them that it's the right formula for the series. It's back to the San Andreas-style of just being completely crazy. And unsurprisingly both are the best selling games in the series. Don't change that formula! Use the Red Dead or Bully games for a more grounded/realistic approach.

Arttemis

Agent is next?

I've yet to even purchase GTA5, so I imagine the legs it'll have across two console generations is nuts.

Goldrusher

54 million unit sales attributed to Grand Theft Auto 5 on PS3, PS4, 360, One and PC.
Damn.

giphy.gif

weekev

Banned
Tbh its greatly deserved. I only recently jumped in and to me its an incredible example to other big developers in the Annual release vs polished product argument. The attention to detail from random convos on the street, the variety of vehicles, the sheer scope of the city, an engaging story with a wide variety of missions, Pretty much limitless random things to do in and about the city and I havent even tried online yet.

Turkoop

Banned
The Grand Theft Auto series has sold in more than 220 million units across Console, PC, Mobile and all other interactive entertainment formats since its debut on PlayStation and PC in 1997. This includes the more than 54 million unit sales attributed to Grand Theft Auto 5 on PS3, PS4, 360, One and PC.

Grand Theft Auto 5 has doubled the sales of Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, the previous best seller which has sold 28 million units to date on Console and PC. Take Two also noted that Grand Theft Auto Online monthly active users are up 40% in 2015 over 2014 and that more than 70% of all Grand Theft Auto 5 players with an internet connection have gone online at least once. In the past 3 months alone Grand Theft Auto products accounted for around 60% of Take Two's total revenue.

Here are some more statistics for Take Two -

• Take Two have 11 franchises with a game that has sold more than 5 million units
  • Red Dead Redemption has sold in more than 14 million units worldwide.
  • Borderlands 2 has sold in more than 13 million units to date and the total franchise has sold in more than 26 million.
  • Sid Meier's series has sold more than 31 million units worldwide.
  • 27 million registered users for NBA Online in China!
  • NBA 2k15 has sold in 7 million. Higher than 2k14 at same time.
  • WWE 2K15 has sold in more than 3 million units, up more than 40% compared to last years game at in the same timeframe.
  • Mafia 3 will launch between April 2016 and March 2017.
  • Take2 have new IP's to launch + established franchise launches for next years. One new AAA game which is unannounced will launch next year.
  • Take Two have more than 45 individual titles that have sold more than 1 million copies.
  • Take2 will spend 17% of net revenue on marketing this fiscal year. Roughly ~$250 million.
  • Around 81% of net revenue generated by Take2 came from Console sales. The other 19% came from PC and Mobile.

Source: Take Two & ZhugeEX

Thx for the Summary Zhuge :)

GTA is for me the greatest Franchise ever created, simple a masterpiece

Take2 will spend 17% of net revenue on marketing this fiscal year. Roughly ~$250 million.
Fiscal year 2016 ?
April 2015 - March 2016 or April 2016 - March 2017 ?

erawsd

Its kinda nuts that after all this time GTA is bigger than ever. Not just by a little bit either, its DOUBLED the sales of the previous best selling game in the series...

ZhugeEX

Banned
Its kinda nuts that after all this time GTA is bigger than ever. Not just by a little bit either, its DOUBLED the sales of the previous best selling game in the series...

Did you know that Grand Theft Auto 5 released in September 2013 and since then has sold 54 million units across 5 platforms.

On the other hand there have only been 42 million units sold across ALL Wii U game releases since September 2013.

Radec

Welcome back ZhugeEX. Now where's the graphs?

How's the percentage of all GTA games (excluding china wars)?

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Other than 4, an argument could be made they've gotten better through the years. Deserved success for a tremendous franchise.

Did you know that Grand Theft Auto 5 released in September 2013 and since then has sold 54 million units across 5 platforms.

On the other hand there have only been 42 million units sold across ALL Wii U game releases since September 2013.

That is absolutely mind blowing.

Congrats to Rockstar on making such a classic game. All the praise and recognition is well deserved.

Where does GTAV rank among all time best sellers?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
That's crazy and 54m of that is GTA V alone.

I can't wait to see what Red Dead 3 and GTA VI sell. I know it's way too early to think about VI right now but I think RD3 will be the next game.

That is absolutely mind blowing.

Congrats to Rockstar on making such a classic game. All the praise and recognition is well deserved.

Where does GTAV rank among all time best sellers?

Sits 4th behind Tetris, Wii Sports, and Minecraft.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games#All_platforms

ZhugeEX

Banned
Retail sales for PS3, PS4, 360 and One in the USA are well over 15 million now.
Once you add in Digital it becomes even bigger!

GTA5 that is^

erawsd

R3iMkIV.gif

Nintenleo

Can't wait for GTA Amiibos when GTA V for NX will be released.

Seriously though, impressive numbers and completely deserved.

Chippiez

Banned
Good.
Where is my GTAV SP DLC? I loved TBoGT.

Takes too many resources to make, I guess--- why spend money making a quality SP component when you can make money on virtual currency for people to re-buy assets already in the single player game.

From a business perspective, I see why they keep pushing GTA Online content.

From a personal perspective, it disappoints me so, because I loved both GTA IV expansions dearly, especially TBoGT.

And the worst part is, there are so many areas in San Andreas that the artists clearly spent a shitload of time on, but never received any love with quests/story arcs utilizing said locations-- at least in a meaningful way (I'm looking at you prison, Power Plant & Fort Zancudo!!).

All that said, if the lack of SP content is because team members have shifted to RDR2 making it as quality a product as GTAV, then all is forgiven.

All that said, if the lack of SP content is because team members have shifted to RDR2 making it as quality a product as GTAV, then all is forgiven.

RDR2 should be primarily handled by Rockstar San Diego. Dan will almost certainly have a role in the writing, but the rest of North should be working on something else. Probably already planning for GTAVI. It's hard to see North working on anything other than GTA at this point given how long it takes them to make games. GTAV for example took them around five years to make.

Alo0oy

Banned

Another mind-blowing number:

GTAV in its first week grossed more than the entire music industry usually does in a single month.

Top Bottom