• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Looks like the game is bugged if you have it installed on a secondary SSD.

Move it to the main drive to ensure you arent getting the LOD bugs NickFire was getting.

I guess I am replaying the intro today. I knew i shouldnt have installed it in the M2 drive but i was being lazy and didnt want to move stuff over. Serves me right.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially

Move it to the main drive to ensure you arent getting the LOD bugs NickFire was getting.

I guess I am replaying the intro today. I knew i shouldnt have installed it in the M2 drive but i was being lazy and didnt want to move stuff over. Serves me right.

All my stuff is taken from the game running on internal drive.

geary

Tsushima 2
New bend game
New nd game
New sm corey game
New bluepoint game
Gta6

I think you missed some Sony developers. FFS can we stop acting like only from Sony devs we can have good looking games? We praised them to the sky and they deliver us sequels with same assets and say it's the best thing since icecream.
They are not the only developers out there...

I think you missed some Sony developers. FFS can we stop acting like only from Sony devs we can have good looking games? We praised them to the sky and they deliver us sequels with same assets and say it's the best thing since icecream.
You’ll have to forgive the force of habit and conditioning. It’s from almost a decade through the PS4s time where the first parties were running circles around almost all the third parties so bad it wasn’t even funny. Only really rocksteady and rockstar could compete (shoutout to ac unity though)

They weren’t always the COD/madden, iterative lazy bunch they are now

Last edited:

geary

You’ll have to forgive the force of habit and conditioning. It’s from almost a decade through the PS4s time where the first parties were running circles around almost all the third parties so bad it wasn’t even funny. Only really rocksteady and rockstar could compete (shoutout to ac unity though)

They weren’t always the COD/madden, iterative lazy bunch they are now
Actually. that's the case if you play only PS exclusive...In the last decade we had enough games to rival them, but they are not worthy of discussion because they are not exclusives.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Dude that's just my shitty memory, it wasn't on purpose.

We have fable and hellblade 2, i forgot about those.
Not sure if i trust the other ms teams after infinite and gears 5 (good looking game, no more than that imo if we consider the scope).

Also, did you missed the first part of my post with all games from non-sony studios?

Last edited:

samoilaaa

ofc , alan wake 2 will most likely blow SM2 out of the water in terms of graphics , cyberpunk with path tracing already does that

Actually. that's the case if you play only PS exclusive...In the last decade we had enough games to rival them, but they are not worthy of discussion because they are not exclusives.
Nope. Had giant games library of third party and first party back in the day through the PS4 Gen. Generally speaking the first parties spanked the third parties but if you read what I said I admitted there were exceptions. (Batman, RDR2, AC Unity etc etc)

geary

Dude that's just my shitty memory, it wasn't on purpose.

We have fable and hellblade 2, i forgot about those.
Not sure if i trust the other ms teams after infinite and gears 5 (good looking game, no more than that imo if we consider the scope).

Also, did you missed the first part of my post with all games from non-sony studios?
You dont need to trust MS. There also 3rd party devs which make beautiful games....You mentioned a few SW:Outlaws, Avatar...
But here, the conversation is only around Sony and MS.

GymWolf

Gold Member
You dont need to trust MS. There also 3rd party devs which make beautiful games....You mentioned a few SW:Outlaws, Avatar...
But here, the conversation is only around Sony and MS.
Again, shit memory on my part, i play 99% of my games on pc so i only touch like 1-2 sony games per year.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Btw, we gave up better overall rendering for this absolute shit

qxFxZx.png

qxcuJA.png

People trying to convince me that this is worth losing 30% of your rendering budget can go suck a popsicle.

I take blurred reflections over this low res galore shit that is distracting as hell.

Digitalfraude completely lost their minds with this one :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

Schmendrick

On console it’s a complete waste.
Agreed. RT needs a lot more oomph at its disposal than the consoles this gen could ever hope to provide to really be transformative. These "look at our feature list"-PR stunt RT implementations are absolutely not worth the trade-off.
I originally had some hopes that lumen might be the saving grace for console RT by simplifying the optimization for the developers, but so far it doesn't look like UE5 can keep its promises.

Last edited:

Aaron Olive

They were honestly not too bad last gen. I think something went horribly wrong with this game's polishing phase. The trailers had way better quality character models in cutscenes. I am honestly blown away by how mediocre these characters look. It's like they didnt bother doing the second pass on some of these cutscenes.

F84jTV2X0AAibAX

F844F74W8AAD96n

F84jJQ3XAAAnMEu

These are from the PS4 version.

EJ2tCOPWwAASY8t

This is the before and after the character change. both look better than the Peter above.

maxresdefault.jpg

Even MJ looked better.

Spider_Man_PS4_Preview_MJ.0.jpg

Here is the bullshot they released at the end of the Miles reveal so called captured on PS5 trailer. Why couldnt they simply put this in a next gen only Spiderman game?

Marvels-Spider-Man-Miles-Morales-Ultimate-Edition---PlayStation-5
Yeah... they really need to stop fucking with their faces so much, Peter looks weird... like what's up with the arched eyebrows and makeup look?
SNf2T2x.jpg
J734GMa.jpg

Miles got the body positivity upgrade i.e., he lost them athletic cheeks.
TvqEWhG.jpg
KGJ9oS4.jpg

And finally MJ just went the Rosamund Pike route, MJ even has Pike's nose bridge as well!
NIndHVx.png

MCByToJ.png
37FFDRd.jpg

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
The sand effects left a lot to be desired. Those sand enemies could be a lot cooler with some sick sand physics.

Enjoying my time though. Have yet to see sunset or interiors

rofif

Banned

qxFxZx.png

qxcuJA.png

People trying to convince me that this is worth losing 30% of your rendering budget can go suck a popsicle.

I take blurred reflections over this low res galore shit that is distracting as hell.

I still don't know what was wrong with cubemaps. they can be updated in real time too. Some games do it.
Planar reelections were super heavy but at least looked pristine... while still being lighter than RT.

Imo RT has it's place but it's overall overrated

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I still don't know what was wrong with cubemaps. they can be updated in real time too. Some games do it.
Planar reelections were super heavy but at least looked pristine... while still being lighter than RT.

Fucking hell, I'm starting to agree with rofif more and more lately. What's going on with this world?

Edit: of course when it comes to RT reflections eating up your rendering budget. RT used for lighting is still the FUTURE.

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member

RT is not overrated, the way in which it's used on AMD consoles definitely is though.

SlimySnake

qxFxZx.png

qxcuJA.png

Don’t forget it also saves dev time. There is a reason why they didn’t include a non rt mode. They probably didn’t bother creating backup reflections that need to be handplaced or configured by artists.

They only had 2.5 years to make this game so they probably welcomed any tech that shortened dev times.

shamoomoo

Just go into the review topic or the df topic.

Hard not to notice the insomniac overblown praises.
So the review of Spider-Man and not pre-game interviews/showcase? There's nothing wrong with that,you make it seem like people were D riding Insomniac Games from the beginning.

shamoomoo

But both DC and AC Unity were eviscerated because of some misplaced criticism. All I am saying is that simply focusing on the negatives can lead to stuff like that. Obviously insomniac isnt going to be shutdown after selling 5 million copies of spiderman 2 in 3 days, but the point i am trying to make is that you can appreciate its achievements while criticizing the rest. Simply focusing on the achievements like John does with every game and ignoring the flaws is just as bad as focusing on the negatives and convincing oneself that the game isnt doing anything next gen.

These two screenshots are from the same game. Generational difference within a span of half an hour.

CtlXUEQ.jpg

F84v9z3XEAAvM57

Here is a comparison from Miles.

Its obvious that the game has an upgrade. it doesnt always show because of its last gen roots that I agree NEED to be called out. Especially from a first party studio trying to sell a $70 game. Especially when tech journos are too afraid to piss off devs. Especially when devs have created bubbles around them on twitter and era.
It's game engine that has been iterated on, unless Insomniac Games starts from scratch their perceived limitations are: crappy engine, inefficient graphics programmer or they maxed out their tech on the PS5. Sometimes you say the most ridiculous things.

SlimySnake

It's game engine that has been iterated on, unless Insomniac Games starts from scratch their perceived limitations are: crappy engine, inefficient graphics programmer or they maxed out their tech on the PS5. Sometimes you say the most ridiculous things.
I honestly have no clue what you are saying here, but nothing I said above is even in the realm of ridiculous.

GymWolf

Gold Member
So the review of Spider-Man and not pre-game interviews/showcase? There's nothing wrong with that,you make it seem like people were D riding Insomniac Games from the beginning.
I pointed out those 2 topics because they are the more recent, every topic about sp2 has been an insomniac dick riding except for the clear xbox fanboy interventions or people from this topic not being satysfied with the graphic.

Even after the bullshit reveal trailer that should have make people more cautious...

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Lmao this Sangral dude is tearing a new asshole for DF on reeee and i'm loving it :lollipop_squinting:

(after posting some reflex comparisons between sp2 and morales)

I don't know what people were smoking in the Review and DF thread in the last view days but you could clearly already see it in the footage we had available if you had f'n eyes in your head. I don't why I'm always the only one seeing and realizing these technical flaws every single time beforehand while others constantly deny it cause "Reviewer/Youtuber X said so" or "It's just a Youtube Video", it's tiring.

It's not incredibly bad or anything, it could have been a lot worse, it's just not "better" as people stated, it's just clearly a big step down from the prequels, which is sad for me personally cause I loved the reflections in the last 2, they were so impressive.
(Man, I should not have gone through all my old screenshots, it's ridiculous how much better these 2 games look in comparison to the new one overall, especially when it comes to lighting.)

Another dude:

Yeah considering the large amount of comments about the graphics you think DF would have had more to say. They pretty much praised everything about the game and did not have a single complaint. Very strange for them.

Yeah we all wonder why :lollipop_squinting:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Yeah considering the large amount of comments about the graphics you think DF would have had more to say. They pretty much praised everything about the game and did not have a single complaint. Very strange for them.
Lost all respect for DF and NX Gamer after they brushed off the Horizon Forbidden West's performance mode issues. DF were like oh btw, its blurry, just play in 30 fps and moved on. NX Gamer didnt even notice them.

It was GamingTech who led the charge posting comparison after comparison after every single patch for 8 weeks straight. GG on reddit kept gaslighting everyone saying its an issue with TVs. Why? Because John never reported it. DF has no problems reporting bugs to devs they dont care about and calling them out, but anyone they want to be chummy with, they throw out all journalistic integrity. RE4 had a similar issue with foliage and they called it out immediately in the fcuking demo no less.

GamingTech now has almost 35k subscribers. mostly because of his HDR coverage but he was literally the only youtuber covering this while we were being gaslighted on forums and twitter for pointing this out, and Im glad he was rewarded for it.

shamoomoo

Lmao this Sangral dude is tearing a new asshole for DF on reeee and i'm loving it :lollipop_squinting:

I don't know what people were smoking in the Review and DF thread in the last view days but you could clearly already see it in the footage we had available if you had f'n eyes in your head. I don't why I'm always the only one seeing and realizing these technical flaws every single time beforehand while others constantly deny it cause "Reviewer/Youtuber X said so" or "It's just a Youtube Video", it's tiring.

It's not incredibly bad or anything, it could have been a lot worse, it's just not "better" as people stated, it's just clearly a big step down from the prequels, which is sad for me personally cause I loved the reflections in the last 2, they were so impressive.
(Man, I should not have gone through all my old screenshots, it's ridiculous how much better these 2 games look in comparison to the new one overall, especially when it comes to lighting.)

Another dude:

While being more dynamic,the flections in Spider-Man 2 seem about the same as the Miles Morales,so what's that dude talking about?

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Well you guys spoiled some parts for me, but at the same time disappointed me with those SM2 shots. Just when i was warming up for its graphics with snippets i saw, bam you post those ugly ass shots and i snap back to reality. Monday is my game shipping, hopefully i can finish it without getting too much spoiled here.

Alex11

But both DC and AC Unity were eviscerated because of some misplaced criticism. All I am saying is that simply focusing on the negatives can lead to stuff like that. Obviously insomniac isnt going to be shutdown after selling 5 million copies of spiderman 2 in 3 days, but the point i am trying to make is that you can appreciate its achievements while criticizing the rest. Simply focusing on the achievements like John does with every game and ignoring the flaws is just as bad as focusing on the negatives and convincing oneself that the game isnt doing anything next gen.

These two screenshots are from the same game. Generational difference within a span of half an hour.

CtlXUEQ.jpg

F84v9z3XEAAvM57

Here is a comparison from Miles.

Its obvious that the game has an upgrade. it doesnt always show because of its last gen roots that I agree NEED to be called out. Especially from a first party studio trying to sell a $70 game. Especially when tech journos are too afraid to piss off devs. Especially when devs have created bubbles around them on twitter and era.
That's what I was saying about the sand, in this first picture that I also posted it here, it looks awful, the buildings, the trees ugly as hell. Jesus, can't believe the 2nd picture is from the same game.

And also, it may probably look as a nitpick, but those wind stripes thingy to show you the direction, they look so out of place IMO.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Just finished the sandman fight...there is something severely wrong with the graphic of this game.

I need to reinstall morales because i swear that one looks better...

It looks SO unimpressive.

I hope it gets better when all this shitty sand cover goes away.

The scene in the classroom was hilariously bad.

I was expecting mid, but this is way worse than i imagined...WTF?

Last edited:

miklonus

All my stuff is taken from the game running on internal drive.
All my shit is installed on my 4TB Seagate Firecuda 530 M.2 SSD. I play Rogue Company a lot, and I have noticed loading issues with assets popping up in the past year, and even when I transferred the game to the default SSD, I still noticed those issues. The game has gotten worse after updates, it's not ALL my PS5's fault, yet I always wonder if things will load smoother while being on the default SSD.

I've got the Resident Evil 4 remake and I notice after I come out of the inventory screen, that the background slightly reloads. It's weird shit, and yes, the game is installed on the M.2 as well.

Off-topic, glad to see y'all shittin' on the faces. Fuck Tom Holland face, and fuck non-hot, mom-looking, Mary-Jane face as well.

Last edited:

Alex11

Lost all respect for DF and NX Gamer after they brushed off the Horizon Forbidden West's performance mode issues. DF were like oh btw, its blurry, just play in 30 fps and moved on. NX Gamer didnt even notice them.

It was GamingTech who led the charge posting comparison after comparison after every single patch for 8 weeks straight. GG on reddit kept gaslighting everyone saying its an issue with TVs. Why? Because John never reported it. DF has no problems reporting bugs to devs they dont care about and calling them out, but anyone they want to be chummy with, they throw out all journalistic integrity. RE4 had a similar issue with foliage and they called it out immediately in the fcuking demo no less.

GamingTech now has almost 35k subscribers. mostly because of his HDR coverage but he was literally the only youtuber covering this while we were being gaslighted on forums and twitter for pointing this out, and Im glad he was rewarded for it.
Maybe it's time we stop listening so much to them and stop giving our opinions value if it resembles theirs. This was also the case with Cyberpunk 2.0. , I love this game's graphics to death, but they failed to say anything about those ugly ass cardboard cars in the distance that are still in the game.
Horizon, the same, they mentioned a bit about the clouds, but they didn't criticize that although they look amazing, they don't move anymore. It's okay to be impressed and take a positive stance for any graphics or tech improvement, but when there are flaws criticize them, don't brush them off and see them only in certain games.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Just finished the sandman fight...there is something severely wrong with the graphic of this game.

why-bruh.gif

Please use spoiler tags, i want to visit this thread still before playing the game :messenger_grinning_sweat: .

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Well you guys spoiled some parts for me, but at the same time disappointed me with those SM2 shots. Just when i was warming up for its graphics with snippets i saw, bam you post those ugly ass shots and i snap back to reality. Monday is my game shipping, hopefully i can finish it without getting too much spoiled here.
Yeah. Its best to stay off forums and play games on your own without others input from forums. It ruins your enjoyment lol. I will play the game then come here to discuss flaws and accomplishments

SlimySnake

I am telling you the classroom scene straight up looked unfinished. NO cutscene in the OG spiderman felt that janky.

Xtib81

The game looks great, don't worry. Some parts are a bit weaker but it's among the best looking games on console. When you fly above Manhattan at dusk, it looks breathtaking.

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I left off at the carnival cutscene which had great visual moments and a ton of pontential overall, but it's obvious this game isn't finished. I'll wait for them to patch before I continue.

alloush

I

Another dude:

I have a feeling the first guy is SlimySnake SlimySnake . He sounds exactly like him, warning everyone about them graphics and nobody’s listening and he is tired of it

Top Bottom