• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

Gold Member
lol luckily i'm not easily offended because

i'm australian ya cunt, and now your making me wish I had gone with budgy smugglers.

and i'm going to leave this here to make sure you know how that word was intended.

Was the offense calling you an american?

I can understand the feeling, sorry mate :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Why i'm so impressed by this character rendering??

cinematic_063-1701796747.jpg

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
C CGNoire Ran into a storm just now and immediately started recording for you. But i did not expect to capture something so cool.

odLaqK1.gif

I remember telling everyone here that even if the visuals get downgraded, the systems should still be there. And we are seeing that here. Weather systems mix with interactive foliage systems and then on top of that the destruction systems mixes in with the weather systems. I have seen similar things when hunting animals in the forests and while flying through trees on my ikran, and as beautiful as it looks, i find that the immersion aspect brought on by these simulations is far more important than the visual fidelity. i just wish they took it farther and let animals hunt each other, and rda humans go on hunts outside of the designated zones.

GymWolf GymWolf Captured a video of some rocks and pebbles. they look detailed enough to me. maybe not as much as the UE5 forest demo, but nothing about them is ps3 quality.

SlimySnake

Recorded some Avatar and Horizon videos to show off what I feel are generational differences in foliage rendering, flying speeds, and draw distance.

Avatar's strengths are foliage rendering on the ground, and its pop-in during flying and the vistas in general dont look as good. Meanwhile, Horizon's flying speeds are abysmal, pop-in still remains, and draw distance LODs are poor despite being masked by fog everywhere. Even on the ground, when it looks way better, it is lacking in terms of foliage density and lighting quality.

Captured using native 4k fidelity mode on PS5 and mostly high settings 4k dlss quality on PC captured at 1440p 60 fps instead of 4k. Draw distance set to medium because rtx 3080 sucks, so pop-in should be better on higher end cards, but i feel this should be representative of the ps5 draw distance setting since the ps5 has 12.5 gb total ram.

GymWolf

Gold Member
C CGNoire Ran into a storm just now and immediately started recording for you. But i did not expect to capture something so cool.

odLaqK1.gif

I remember telling everyone here that even if the visuals get downgraded, the systems should still be there. And we are seeing that here. Weather systems mix with interactive foliage systems and then on top of that the destruction systems mixes in with the weather systems. I have seen similar things when hunting animals in the forests and while flying through trees on my ikran, and as beautiful as it looks, i find that the immersion aspect brought on by these simulations is far more important than the visual fidelity. i just wish they took it farther and let animals hunt each other, and rda humans go on hunts outside of the designated zones.

GymWolf GymWolf Captured a video of some rocks and pebbles. they look detailed enough to me. maybe not as much as the UE5 forest demo, but nothing about them is ps3 quality.

Those are not the pebbles i was talking about.

They are smaller and grey-ish.

Lethal01

No thanks.

The next cartoony game i'm gonna buy is that first berserker that looks incredible.

Meh, its got stylized faces but the environments are to close to the usual edgy, dark realism, but I suppose Im harsh on it since geoff hyped it up like it was some unbelievable new height of stylization when its close to standard realism and Guilty Gear still looks better.
But sure if horizon used something like that it would be an upgrade

Last edited:

SABRE220

Avatar is honestly a great effort but the visuals are rather inconsistent and the artstyle is lacking. The lighting can look rather flat at times which is crazy considering it has rtgi and great at others, the geometry levels are also a bit lacking. The tech behind it is no doubt impressive and looking at slimys storm gif im happy that its one of the few games that seemed to focus a little on physics.

Last edited:

CGNoire

odLaqK1.gif

Thats fucking badass.

Does it go full Far Cry 2 with its wind system? Like with fire propogation?

Last edited:

Xtib81

Avatar's effort is to be saluted but Days gone is still the number one when it comes to weather conditions/effects.
We're still far from that UE4 storm tech demo

Last edited:

CGNoire

Avatar is honestly a great effort but the visuals are rather inconsistent and the artstyle is lacking. The lighting can look rather flat at times which is crazy considering it has rtgi and great at others, the geometry levels are also a bit lacking. The tech behind it is no doubt impressive and looking at slimys storm gif im happy that its one of the few games that seemed to focus a little on physics.
I wonder if theres a way to fix fhe flatter lit scenes via a mod?
Like one that increase ray bounces or an AO mod?

analog_future

Resident Crybaby

odLaqK1.gif

Alright yeah that storm is freaking crazy

SlimySnake

Did you check out the two videos I posted above? I am mostly running around and flying around, and honestly it feels extremely consistent. The only flaws I notice are in water rendering which is very shimmery due to noisy RT reflections, as well as the pop-in while flying at faster speeds, and maybe some of the vistas that you see from above dont look too hot. You can see that in the flying video from 0:24 seconds in till about 35 seconds where the trees in the distance and vistas look almost half empty. The rest looks extremely consistent and beautiful. The video where im running through the forest looks great the whole way through.

This feels way more consistent to me than Horizon FW which looked amazing in the first area I believe it was called Chainscrape. Then you leave it and end up in this really fugly looking browinsh mountain area and im like what are these graphics. Then you go to plainsong and it looks amazing, but then they send you to the desert next and it starts to look like shit again. Thankfully the forest and the beach areas look great, but the game felt extremely inconsistent for the first 20 or so hours whereas Avatar has felt the opposite, and they gave you the ability to fly almost immediately which has exposed some of the game's rendering flaws.

Alright yeah that storm is freaking crazy
my favorite little detail is that moments after the storm or rain ends, they apply wet shaders to each tree, leaf, and pebbles on the ground. As well as water dripping from trees and leaves. So the rain has ended but the forest doesnt immediately go back to looking dry. The audio also plays a big role in selling it as you continue to hear little drips of water. Its a great little touch absent from most games.

ckstine

I was down in Miami this past week on a business (and fishing) trip and I gotta say, I'm more impressed by the gta 6 trailer now than ever. The Miami vibe is pretty much perfectly captured there, and my god what a vibe it is. Can't wait to have a fleshed out and realistic digital version of one of the most fascinating cities in the US. Caught a pretty nice bass too, so that's nice.

Msamy

Last of us multiplayer leaked menu screen considering it realtime in engine
GUSYnrr.jpg

Last of us part 2 real time cutscencs with similar settings
ZFVyQ0F.jpg
yV3BUwx.jpg

Naughty dog said they will not waste their investment in technology in last of us online project and they gonna use it in their next single player projects , obviously they talking about gameplay and graphics technology , I really hope to see good quality leaked gameplay video from that canceled last of us online project

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Rdr2 maxed out on pc in 4k still looks incredible, i know the ultra texture setting is the same as the console but i swear it looks much better...

What AA should i use for best iq?

Dlss quality looks pretty good but i was wandering if there was a better choice.

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
Rdr2 maxed out on pc in 4k still looks incredible, i know the ultra texture setting is the same as the console but i swear it looks much better...

What AA should i use for best iq?

Dlss quality looks pretty good but i was wandering if there was a better choice.
Install DLSS tweaks and use DLAA it looks insane

GymWolf

Gold Member
Install DLSS tweaks and use DLAA it looks insane
No i was talking about the ingame options, i don't care enough to waste time modding the game.

Also dlaa is pretty heavy and i prefer having the highest framerate possible with this game.

Top Bottom