• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

CGNoire

which-james-look-do-you-prefer-v0-40k402xorgvc1.webp

so apparently Bloober has updated SH2's Steam page with the first screen
am I the only one who liked the original face in the reveal trailer better, both aesthetically and graphically?
the original one looked a lot more realistic and nuanced
over at Reddit everyone is talking about how much more improved the new face looks while I am thinking "downgrade"
Your spot on. Dont let them gaslight you...it definitly a downgrade.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

am I the only one who liked the original face in the reveal trailer better, both aesthetically and graphically?
over at Reddit everyone is talking about how much more improved the new face looks while I am thinking "downgrade"
Both are bad compared to original cgi.
It's a different guy. Bloober is bad

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
How much enjoyable overall are you finding it? I've installed the game ages ago and still in my backlog, but the sequel trailer hyped me. I heard very bad things about combats, so this is blocking me a bit 🤔

(And maybe because GIFs make everything looks better, but seems graphically very impressive here)
There has been so little gameplay it is impossible to say if it’s enjoyable. I left it early on because i knew the combat stunk and because it was making me do
dumb filler wrpg quests but since then the story has been one incredible cutscene after another. Great writing and voice acting and almost no gameplay. But I’ve stuck to it because there is honestly nothing like it when it comes to the setting and storytelling. This is game of thrones without the fantasy elements so if you like that then you will at least enjoy the story.

I need to put in at least another 5-6 hours to say if i will like the game itself because the 5-6 combat encounters ive had so far in the first 3-4 hours have been very lame. But he’s not a trained soldier so he’s supposed to be weak. I heard the combat gets better as he gains more experience in the story.

Game still looks very good. Just a bit on a the dull side. Rdr2, horizon, avatar have that color you see in the trailer for the sequel. Draw distance is excellent because on PC they let you max out the draw distance and lod pop in along with high res textures.

shamoomoo

The updated face looks more emotional, like he's blubbering and sniveling as against a man who is loss over the passing of a loved one.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

The updated face looks more emotional, like he's blubbering and sniveling as against a man who is lost over the passing of a loved one.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Massive downgrade. Game got a huge downgrade overall. Some scenes still look good and next Gen but overall there is no denying it was downgraded.

luca_29_bg

There is no downgrade of anything, this "new" face appears in the initial trailer as well as in the combat trailer and it's much more in line with the original in game face ( not the CG model, both the in game and cg model were based on the voice actor Guy Chichi o what the hell is his name!)

Stop seeing downgrade anywhere when some changes are just stylistic changes that suit better specific character, the first version of James in the first trailer was too emotional and knowing the character he is, it was completely wrong, this "new face" it's more lifeless like the original in game model and even the hair are of the right color and shape! Plus it looks younger (James he is 29 years old in the game, the first face it's from a older person!)

new-model-in-first-trailer-v0-owc2f3emjkvc1.jpeg

RaduN

This remake will be such a fuck up.

Sh2 is a fucking complex narrative which flies above the heads of many (too many), and it seems that these devs are among them.
James is not supposed to be this broken man that recovers from a tragedy, and he is not supposed to be all emotional in front of that mirror. Fuck no. You said nuanced, but that is still selling the character way too short.
The original pic, of course expresses the state he's in, absolutely perfectly.

I dunno, maybe the are changing the story drastically, removing all those layers, cose who the fuck needs that shit these days, when you have ray tracing 🙄 In that case, yeah..teh emotion is soo pretty in that immaculate mirror.

Xtib81

I'm currently replaying Tlou2 on PS5 (with the update) and I gotta say that it has not aged as well as I had anticipated. Lots of low-res textures, pixelated shadows, blurry background and even the lighting is at times average. Crazy to think that it's only 4 years old and that it used to be the best looking game. It shows that even though this gen has been disappointing, progress has been made.

Bojji

I'm currently replaying Tlou2 on PS5 (with the update) and I gotta say that it has not aged as well as I had anticipated. Lots of low-res textures, pixelated shadows, blurry background and even the lighting is at times average. Crazy to think that it's only 4 years old and that it used to be the best looking game. It shows that even though this gen has been disappointing, progress has been made.

Textures are the worst offender compared to Part 1, why they even bothered with "remaster" and didn't update them is beyond me.

H . R . 2

some more shots in defense of CP
[all taken in/mid-game in photo mode except for the cutscene shots]

one of the best snow deformations out there:
the storm covers your tracks after a few minutes
pyMxebW.jpeg
RDqXz0J.jpeg
sSoZ5yK.jpeg

the lighting in this game, seriously! every room and scene is photo-mode worthy:
nlXVwIn.jpeg
e1WWaZi.jpeg

iOK72Pq.jpeg
HvIanHk.jpeg

facial animations mid-combat make the characters come alive
yvaSgYt.jpeg
UyppcdL.jpeg
uG8rfQD.jpeg
4Mc5nSw.jpeg

17rBXYA.jpeg

the combat, although a tad repetitive, is very smooth and robust

I understand the criticism but this game is clearly underrated and underappreciated

Last edited:

SlimySnake

he lighting in this game, seriously! every room and scene is photo-mode worthy:

I understand the criticism but this game is clearly underrated and underappreciated
I went back the other day to see if the combat was indeed as bad as these guys were saying and maxed out my block skill tree. It is op. The first skill unlocks a special attack after a block that targets their legs and they go down letting you wail on them. The second negates all damage taken on a block and then third adds an electrical charge on them so they massive damage on a follow up attack.

Basically i went 3-4 encounters without dodging.

There is still room for improvement. Combat can feel a bit clunky in close quarters. Weapons dont feel as satisfying to shoot as TLOU2 and they needed another melee weapon or two like the one in the DLC which adds a much needed AoE attack. Sadly you cant use that weapon in the main campaign. Still, i had a lot of fun with it and even though we will never get a sequel, im glad that the studio didnt shut down despite the game flopping and its studio creator leaving. the team is incredibly talented and deserves a UE5 title.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

lol i told you. Ive been saying this for a while now. Even late gen 2018-2020 games have been topped. You just have to go back and replay them.

With TLOU2, i took so much shit for pointing out the visual inconsistencies on gaf over the years. hell, the very first page has people calling me out for it after i praised the graphics. i was like YES its INCONSISTENT.

That said, I'd rather take bigger levels than smaller corridor levels of callisto and dead space because of the gameplay implications. these screenshots below are from my favorite level in TLOU2 and they look like crap. But the combat in these suburb houses is phenomenal because you can go in and out of houses, go on the roofs, hide under beds, and grass. its perfect. But it comes at the expense of asset quality and lighting that needed to be baked in and clearly even their baked GI wasnt advanced enough to get every room in this massive level the bounce lighting it needed.

HG7K8IV.jpg

bo7575N.jpg

qr2cdzA.jpg

A huge downgrade from the uncharted 4 indoor scene that blew everyone away back in 2016 and something that still holds up today. Maybe because its a smaller level but still, it's something to keep in mind when dismissing next gen games based on some select few gifs of TLOU2 from outdoor foliage rich areas where it looks stunning.

CmP68twWEAAyVMp

nate-elenas-beach-house-is-my-dream-home-v0-j7uvzcjqw5oa1.jpg

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
lol i told you. Ive been saying this for a while now. Even late gen 2018-2020 games have been topped. You just have to go back and replay them.

With TLOU2, i took so much shit for pointing out the visual inconsistencies on gaf over the years. hell, the very first page has people calling me out for it after i praised the graphics. i was like YES its INCONSISTENT.

That said, I'd rather take bigger levels than smaller corridor levels of callisto and dead space because of the gameplay implications. these screenshots below are from my favorite level in TLOU2 and they look like crap. But the combat in these suburb houses is phenomenal because you can go in and out of houses, go on the roofs, hide under beds, and grass. its perfect. But it comes at the expense of asset quality and lighting that needed to be baked in and clearly even their baked GI wasnt advanced enough to get every room in this massive level the bounce lighting it needed.

HG7K8IV.jpg

bo7575N.jpg

qr2cdzA.jpg

A huge downgrade from the uncharted 4 indoor scene that blew everyone away back in 2016 and something that still holds up today. Maybe because its a smaller level but still, it's something to keep in mind when dismissing next gen games based on some select few gifs of TLOU2 from outdoor foliage rich areas where it looks stunning.

CmP68twWEAAyVMp

nate-elenas-beach-house-is-my-dream-home-v0-j7uvzcjqw5oa1.jpg

100%. The Uncharted 4 shots still look great. TLOU 2 visuals have aged poorly in many ways (but are still top notch in cinematics, animations, and several instances of attention to detail).

SlimySnake

Pisses me off so much. This is not a damn remaster. Total disappointing update
it's not a remaster. just a next gen update, hence the $10 upgrade fee. ND just plays fast and loose with these terms. Kojima and Sucker Punch called them director cuts which is basically what these $10 upgrades are but if nD wants to call them remasters so be it. Im just glad that we have native 4k 40-60 fps versions of TLOU2 and Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy so when the PS5 pro comes out we can play them at native 4k 60 fps.

Anyway, ND artists were never going to go back and redo the textures on a 30 hour long game for $10. Im glad they didnt waste their time on it. Now the part 1 remake that they sold for $70 as a PS5 only game? Thats highway robbery. the asset quality is still the same. the textures while 4k still look identical to TLOU2 textures and lighting is virtually identical. even HFW and Spiderman 2 updated their baked lighting to be far more accurate than it was in previous games with way better indirect lighting and shadows, but ND just phoned in that remake.

pyMxebW.jpeg
RDqXz0J.jpeg
sSoZ5yK.jpeg

the lighting in this game, seriously! every room and scene is photo-mode worthy:
nlXVwIn.jpeg
e1WWaZi.jpeg

iOK72Pq.jpeg
HvIanHk.jpeg

yvaSgYt.jpeg
UyppcdL.jpeg
uG8rfQD.jpeg
4Mc5nSw.jpeg

17rBXYA.jpeg

Looks great. I think in this thread it comes down to the dev / ip popularity. Plague Tale 2 is by far one of the best looking games of the gen and it gets zero credit in here.

SlimySnake

Looks great. I think in this thread it comes down to the dev / ip popularity. Plague Tale 2 is by far one of the best looking games of the gen and it gets zero credit in here.
But i think this is why this thread exists. So people can post these somewhat obscure games that are not driven by first party exclusive hype or $100 million marketing budgets.

Maybe not as impressive as a 3rd person game, but Frostpunk 2 is the best looking strategy/city builder to date.

Looks fantastic. I hate this "play 72 hours before everyone" special edition. I wish they'd just increase the price to $90 per game instead of $70 with this BS but we all know it would then be $110 for the early access version lol...

Yeah, I think Requiem looks phenomenal. Animations in game and facial animations in cut-scenes leave something to be desired, but otherwise the game has a really strong visual presentation.

SlimySnake

Booted up Uncharted 4 since those screenshots i had of the epilogue were from the og PS4 version which was only 1080p. Here are native 4k shots.

I need to know how they were able to get so many different assets into each room? are these painted on or something? like scanned from a room in reallife? or pre-rendered background a la RE Zero? The level isnt exactly playable in the sense that you cant do much in it. Honestly, ive not seen anything like this since.

GLu_ll-XIAAZbeH

GLu_lmQXUAA5FBn

GLu_s0jWYAAdwDW

GLu_s0qWIAE5fM-

it's not a remaster. just a next gen update, hence the $10 upgrade fee. ND just plays fast and loose with these terms. Kojima and Sucker Punch called them director cuts which is basically what these $10 upgrades are but if nD wants to call them remasters so be it. Im just glad that we have native 4k 40-60 fps versions of TLOU2 and Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy so when the PS5 pro comes out we can play them at native 4k 60 fps.

Anyway, ND artists were never going to go back and redo the textures on a 30 hour long game for $10. Im glad they didnt waste their time on it. Now the part 1 remake that they sold for $70 as a PS5 only game? Thats highway robbery. the asset quality is still the same. the textures while 4k still look identical to TLOU2 textures and lighting is virtually identical. even HFW and Spiderman 2 updated their baked lighting to be far more accurate than it was in previous games with way better indirect lighting and shadows, but ND just phoned in that remake.

There are aspects of LoU Remake that exceed LoU2 "remaster". Textures being one of them but also I think AO could be another. Also, some indoors seem more dense with objects than Part 2.

CGNoire

Booted up Uncharted 4 since those screenshots i had of the epilogue were from the og PS4 version which was only 1080p. Here are native 4k shots.

I need to know how they were able to get so many different assets into each room? are these painted on or something? like scanned from a room in reallife? or pre-rendered background a la RE Zero? The level isnt exactly playable in the sense that you cant do much in it. Honestly, ive not seen anything like this since.

GLu_ll-XIAAZbeH

GLu_lmQXUAA5FBn

GLu_s0jWYAAdwDW

GLu_s0qWIAE5fM-
Ya its BS. They already showed us what they can do. We know when they aint trying.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

GLu_ll-XIAAZbeH

GLu_lmQXUAA5FBn

GLu_s0jWYAAdwDW

GLu_s0qWIAE5fM-
Damn I want to replay that game again.
What you are showing is a price of real time rt. That’s the reason we don’t have this anymore.
Dead island 2 looks similar because it doesn’t have rt.

But uncharted 4, while its static and doesn’t have rt… have somewhat dynamic based on flashlight at least in few levels.
I will continue saying fuck rt. There are other methods to get good graphics. Rt is too heavy.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Damn I want to replay that game again.
What you are showing is a price of real time rt. That’s the reason we don’t have this anymore.
Dead island 2 looks similar because it doesn’t have rt.

But uncharted 4, while its static and doesn’t have rt… have somewhat dynamic based on flashlight at least in few levels.
I will continue saying fuck rt. There are other methods to get good graphics. Rt is too heavy.
Tlou2 and tlou1 dont have rt either.
In fact no Sony studio other than Insomniac has added rt this Gen. No one has come close to that.

It’s probably a photo scan.

Bojji

GLu_ll-XIAAZbeH

GLu_lmQXUAA5FBn

GLu_s0jWYAAdwDW

GLu_s0qWIAE5fM-

I played it yesterday on PS5 in 4k mode and yep - still one of the best looking playable "things" out there, rest of the game isn't even close. I was mainly PC gamer in 2016 but this thing on regular PS4 fucking shocked me, I thought we would have this quality in every game on "PS5 in the future" but here we are lol.

Wait ..so you think this could be 1080p despite main game being 1440? That would suck

Game dropped to 1080p in some sections already. Here we are, we now have game that looks good but needs to render in 1080p to maintain 30FPS...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Wait ..so you think this could be 1080p despite main game being 1440? That would suck
Its using FSR1.0 so when i say 1080p im just talking about internal resolution. FSR1.0 is even worse than FSR2 at upscaling so it adds all these artifacts when you move around. The base game was already 1440p-1080p dynamic that you only rarely saw in forest areas. most indoor areas were closer to 1440p reconstructed to 4k. Since this entire dlc is set in this amazing next gen forest, the base resolution is mostly 1080p and while it looks good in photomode screenshots that up the resolution, its very soft in general and completely falls apart when moving. still a very pretty looking game that will look amazing on the Pro and especially PC with DLSS.

I have long asked for devs to target lower resolutions to get more out of the PS5 GPU, but this is one game where im torn. Matrix also drops to 1080p and didnt look this bad but it didnt have to render foliage either. Also Epic's TSR is a way better solution than FSR1.0.

I will do some FF7 comparisons which mostly runs at native 4k and this should be a great example of games that target image quality over fidelity and vice versa.

Still, as soon as the titles came up in a realtime cutscene, i was just blown away by how CG quality it looked despite the obvious low res artifacts. I dont know how to use photo mode in this game so these are all direct captures.

GLvFuSvWwAAC2t-
GHj06c3WwAAHUmz

GLvFt_kWYAArq9d
GHxBugSXkAAJYlY
GLvFuiyXcAAZ6NK

Last edited:

GymWolf

It must be nice to be like the kid in the sixth sense but instead of seeing ghosts you see nextgen stuff everywhere.

We could call the movie: The ninth gen, starring bruce slimmys.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I'm no tech expert but I definitely miss the days when I believed that AC1 looked like a movie, I didn't know what shimmering, pop in or alaising even meant and that was a good thing lmao.
Thats because most of us were gaming on CRTs back then. I bought a tiny 720p LCD tv for my ps3 a year in, and if a game had decent AA, you didnt see shimmering or aliasing.

it's only when my brother bought a 1080p tv and castlevania came out with the shittiest of IQ with shimmering everywhere did i realize what AA was even for. It was an eye sore on larger tvs. Sony first party games did not have that issue on 1080p tvs despite being only 720p because they mostly used MLAA which was excellent.

The problem has exacerbated in recent years because of the fact that we had a huge 4x jump in pixels plus tvs went from 32 inch to 65-75 inch in size while the resolutions have remained the same as PS3 era in 60 fps modes for games like Alan Wake, Avatar, FF16, Star Wars, Immortals etc, and PS4 era in the case of FF16's DLC's 30 fps mode im playing right now.

I honestly thought we were done with shimmering and aliasing in 2016 when the PS4 pro came out. Even base PS4 games like Batman AK and DriveClub which look like shit today on 4k tvs looked fantastic on 1080p tvs because they were native res on those tvs. bigger and better tvs are basically a double edged sword.

Last edited:

DanielG165

Yes! Was one of the first real next gen looking games. Better looking game than Ragnarok. Great lighting and some nice dense environments.
A Plague Tale: Requiem was the one game, outside of Flight Sim, where I audibly said, “so this is next gen”. It blew me AWAY when I first started it. That opening sequence is still one of the greatest graphical showcases I’ve ever laid eyes on, and having finished the first game the night prior, I could instantly see the massive graphical upgrade. Requiem is definitely underrated; it remains as one of the absolute best looking current gen games ever made.

Top Bottom