• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Falls S2 |OT| Mysteries, tall gingers & endless sweaters (series finale 2/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy thanksgiving all!

Just wanted to post some thoughts on The Love God (quick note, I lurk this thread but have never really felt a strong reason to post until now)

Welcome and I, too get your point. The important but sometimes stupid thing to remember about GF is that it can hold a double standard at times (especially involving Mabel).

Your comparison
to Boyz Crazy holds true, but a few things to remember. Except for Stan, no one else believed Dipper about the hypnotizing CD. Even Wendy doesn't really recognize it, claiming the breakup was due to the fact that Robbie lied to her yet again...

Yeah, Mabel kinda did the exact thing here, but the only reason she gets a bye is because she thought she was doing the right thing. Again, to cite Boyz Crazy, Dipper did think he was saving Wendy from something terrible, but at the same time, he wanted Robbie out of the way so he could have Wendy all to himself. Mabel was trying to help Robbie cause she felt bad for him; there was nothing personal for her to gain for it.

About the teens, I think the whole thing is that it highlights how frigging petty the average teenager could be over the stupidest shit possible.

Still, I agree. The ending is definitely a mixed bag...

Say, why are we still spoilering?
What's the rule in this thread, the episode is a few days old now.

One week after the official premiering...

I Think the better way to end this in a similar way would be
to have sprayed them with the anti love potion but then have them be like "hey, you really aren't bad and I do actually kind of like you" rather than their will basically be taken away.

I would have liked to see that too, to be honest...
the diner scene hinted at a spark before Mabel messed with everything...

Last for not least, the GF vinyls came out today at Disney Stores and the parks. For this, the final hidden figure was revealed:

B3jVEDBCEAEYjDX.jpg

Disney and co. ....

black-dynamite-you-done-fucked-up-now.gif

Poor Wendy! Outdone by a fucking triangle, pig, and gnome

SykoTech

Just saw Love God. They were on fire with the humor this episode. This show has channeled Classic Simpsons a lot, but that Stan Balloon scene is the most on point it's ever been with that. Robbie's parents were great too.

Not a big fan of what went down in the central plot though. It was absolutely great to see more of Wendy's teen friends. They sadly don't get much screen time at all, aside from Robbie of course. But having Tambry and Robbie remain slaves to the love potion's effects was really uncomfortable. It would have been better in my opinion to revert them back to normal, but reflect on how happy they were together and side to remain a couple. Besides, they already sorta had a love/hate thing going on before Mabel's meddling. I think they could have worked out without having the potion's affects remain permanent.

What's more, I don't really understand why Robbie was so heart broken. The last we saw of a single sliver of sadness was when he sent the "winky-frown" text to Wendy. And that was all the way back in the second episode of the season. We've seen him in previous episodes since then spraying graffiti in the mini-golf course and playing laser tag, and seemed as happy as can be. Maybe he was just briefly taking his mind off things or something? I don't know, but it kinda feels like this episode should have came a lot sooner.

And finally, Mabel falls victim to her previous crushes...again. Ugh. After the Society of the Blind Eye episode, I thought she had finally developed a little. Would have been nice to see her actually overcome them all. But nope. Maybe next time? Meh.

Welp, all in all, I guess it's nice to see Robbie not be either a complete ass or completely miserable. I just really hope that the love potion doesn't drain Tambry and Robbie of all personality and have them do nothing but cuddle together in all future appearances. Keep as a couple, but revert them back to normal teens once their honeymoon phase is over.

Trying to buy a season pass for s2 is a confusing nightmare (can't it just be as simple as "give us this amount up front and we give you the whole season as it becomes available"? ), but it turns out my sister has been keeping them on her DVR so I guess I'll be finishing out the holiday weekend by marathoning myself up to the present. Can't wait to dig into this, I loved the first season.

RetroMG

Trying to buy a season pass for s2 is a confusing nightmare (can't it just be as simple as "give us this amount up front and we give you the whole season as it becomes available"? )

It looks like Google Play does this, if that helps. I haven't done it with GF, but I have with some of Food Network's shows.

ksdixon

Does GF 'feel' like any other tv shows/cartoons to you guys? I'm trying to nail down exactly why I find GF so funny and charming. It feels like it's in a class of it's own compared to many other shows, straddling the line between mature themes, being funny, being animated etc.

Does GF 'feel' like any other tv shows/cartoons to you guys? I'm trying to nail down exactly why I find GF so funny and charming. It feels like it's in a class of it's own compared to many other shows, straddling the line between mature themes, being funny, being animated etc.

The specific comparison that I heard that I felt was apt was "Twin Peaks meets (classic) The Simpsons."

ksdixon

The specific comparison that I heard that I felt was apt was "Twin Peaks meets (classic) The Simpsons."

Thinking about it, I've heard simillar to classic simpsons, but I don't understand the comparison. In what ways is GF simillar to classic simpsons?

daydream

Banned
While waiting for the next episode, you guys should seriously watch 'Over The Garden Wall'. It's a mini-series consisting of ten episodes. Some of the humour, especially the one connected to the younger brother Greg, reminded me of GF, namely Mabel's quirks. It's not strictly a comedic show, though, it transcends those labels.

Anyway, without going into a qualitative comparison, the series is criminally overlooked.

Hamlet

While waiting for the next episode, you guys should seriously watch 'Over The Garden Wall'. It's a mini-series consisting of ten episodes. Some of the humour, especially the one connected to the younger brother Greg, reminded me of GF, namely Mabel's quirks. It's not strictly a comedic show, though, it transcends those labels.

Anyway, without going into a qualitative comparison, the series is criminally overlooked.

Second this.
It's seriously charming as hell and has some great songs throughout it. Well worth a watch and it's only 10 episodes long.

PaulloDEC

Thirding this. Amazing show with a really satisfying self-contained story to tell.

Since we're recommending shows, everyone should watch Steven Universe. Show is amazingly charming and the characters are top notch.

Tuck

Eh, I had my issues with it. Show had style, but I found it wasn't really sure what it wanted to be. The jokes fell flat and Greg was a horrible character. It felt like Greg was only there to be that typical American cartoon comic relief character, even though the show was trying to be deep and a bit twisted.

daydream

Banned
Eh, I had my issues with it. Show had style, but I found it wasn't really sure what it wanted to be. The jokes fell flat and Greg was a horrible character. It felt like Greg was only there to be that typical American cartoon comic relief character, even though the show was trying to be deep and a bit twisted.

Well, one shouldn't argue about humour but from my point of view, Greg was a fantastic character and one with a terrific arc and personality. I think you might be looking at the humour from a wrong perspective. It's an integral, natural part of the experience, not the series' main schtick. I didn't really want to get into the comparison but OTGW is to be taken a bit more seriously than the ephemeral (but still brilliant) entertainment provided by GF.

I knew it was gonna be Bill.

ywuGD0q.gif

(j/k) Sorry, it was the first thing to come to mind. Still, glad to see your old avatar back (that fuckin' Bipper one was freaky...)

This is the best show on tv.

tumblr_mruq5lcpSA1sg2kryo1_500.gif

Not taking a swing at Person of Interest. To be honest, I personally stray away from dramas and such. Real life's depressing enough, yet alone I would want to watch something similar on the tube...

Nope, that's still adventure time.

Don't get me wrong, I like AT. I have the DVDs and games and such, but lately I'd rate Regular Show, SU, and GF over AT. The plot's are WAY too out there, trippy wise, and I'd take Wendy and Mabel over Bubblegum and Marcy any day...

Thinking about it, I've heard similar to classic Simpsons, but I don't understand the comparison. In what ways is GF similar to classic Simpsons?

(looks at OT and smiles...)

To me, at least, GF shares with classic Simpsons in which it's zany adventures with a dash of heart mixed in (and the occasional subtle message). Not to mention all of the excellent "hint-of-dirty, but always clean-cut" humorous writing. Heck, when I caught a part of that "Every Simpsons Ever" marathon, I found myself watching episodes I haven't seen in years, thinking to myself, "Wow, this reminds me a lot of Gravity Falls," when if anything, the comparison should be backwards...

Hey, he's a pretty cool triangle.

not knocking Bill one bit, but still kinda bummed about the fact none the less. Wendy's one of the main five characters and yet, it seems like she gets the shaft more often than not.

q4ebOKE.gif

I mean, she lost out to a flying Doritos, a McRib, and a rainbow-barfing munchkin for heaven's sake...

And speaking of, rumor has it that the plushies are delayed to Jan. 2015...(sigh...)

E the Shaggy

"Mommy? Is the floating head going to eat us??"
"YES CHARLIE! YES HE WILL!"

I haven't laughed that God damn hard in a LONG time.

PaulloDEC

I'm starting to feel your pain now. This time she was beaten by Waddles, Gideon, a monster of some kind and what looks like a barrell. She's one of five characters featured prominently in the title sequence for pete's sake; she appears in it more often than Soos does.

I don't get it.

munchie64

Doug Walker (Nostalgia Critic) starts his vlogs of Adventure Time. Doug is pretty excited about the show (he has already watched all of season 1), but he claims that Adventure Time is clearly better, and he doesn't like Wendy much because she's too much of a hipster, which may bother some people.
His announcement for these is what got me started on the show. I was gonna watch it with them, but it was so good I couldn't help watching all of it.

I'd argue this is better than Adventure Time.

Chariot

Doug Walker (Nostalgia Critic) starts his vlogs of Adventure Time. Doug is pretty excited about the show (he has already watched all of season 1), but he claims that Adventure Time is clearly better, and he doesn't like Wendy much because she's too much of a hipster, which may bother some people.
I disliked his vlogs of atla and korra. He just seem to not be able to yhknk outside his box. I only watched those to hear Rob's opinion, since clearly knew better what he was talking about.

NEO0MJ

not knocking Bill one bit, but still kinda bummed about the fact none the less. Wendy's one of the main five characters and yet, it seems like she gets the shaft more often than not.

q4ebOKE.gif

I mean, she lost out to a flying Doritos, a McRib, and a rainbow-barfing munchkin for heaven's sake...

Yeah, that doesn't seem right. Should have dropped the pig or gnome personally.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Having gotten into the show recently, I too want to know when it will come back.
Disney's got a good thing going here... of course they're going to screw it up

GRW810

I can't read this thread because I've only just watched the first episode of the second season. But I had to drop in and say how amazing an episode it was. The opening felt like some sort of primetime TV drama. Zombie Soos was hilarious. I love this show.

Toxi

Banned
I can't read this thread because I've only just watched the first episode of the second season. But I had to drop in and say how amazing an episode it was. The opening felt like some sort of primetime TV drama. Zombie Soos was hilarious. I love this show.
Oh wow, this poster hasn't even seen Into the Bunker or Sock Opera and they're already excited.

GRW810

Oh wow, this poster hasn't even seen Into the Bunker or Sock Opera and they're already excited.
It's weird, I quickly fell in love with the show early in S1, caught up, watched each episode immediately (enduring all the agonising breaks) and then eagerly anticipated the new season.

Then I just... I don't know, just got distracted and missed it. Did the same with Futurama, waited forever and then let it pass me by. Still haven't watched the final run of episodes. Gonna blast through the entirity of season two over the next few days hopefully. I'm excited about these hyped episodes you mention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom