• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Great bridge sections in music

A great bridge can really elevate a simple song, one of my favorite examples is from this 80s track by The Who:

The Who - Don't Let Go the Coat

Catchy but unremarkable song...and yet, when that bridge fully kicks in after the solo, it's kind of transcendent. The contrast just makes it something special.

For me, a great bridge is even better than a great chorus. So, I'd like to hear some of your favs - ITT, post great bridges!

Ah, let me add a bit of explanation, in case people are confused about what a bridge might be. Basically, you're probably familiar with the basic structure of most rock/pop songs: verse, verse, chorus. But, some songs also have an extra bridge section that changes things up and allows for a cool transition back into the verse/chorus pattern. The bridge usually changes up the tempo, sometimes changes key, usually it's strikingly slowed down compared to the rest of the song, which means that the song "builds" up energy to jump back into the verse/chorus. The bridge can really make a song feel like it's moving somewhere and like you've been taken on a journey.

Examples

If you listen to this Judas Priest song - Some Heads Are Gonna Roll - the bridge pops in at 2:05.

Another favorite bridge is this Elvis tune - Suspicious Minds - the bridge comes in at 1:36 (accompanied by epic karate flourish).

Fleetwood Mac - Sisters of the Moon

Okay I think this is a bridge if I understood your explanation correctly. I always had a vague idea of what they are but was never 100% sure.

Anyway, Tusk is my favorite Fleetwood Mac album and this damn song is just incredible. The bridge is amazing and you want it to last a little longer before it leads into a blistering solo from Buckingham. I get frisson from this jam every single time.

RoKKeR

Where the Streets Have No Name - U2 (link starts just before bridge)

Easily the most euphoric moment of the song... (and any U2 concert for that matter) Guitar and bass cut out momentarily, the drums go quiet and then build back up to the harmonies from Bono and Edge while they blast the lights behind them. Gives me chills every time.

Their early work was a little too 'new-wave' for my taste, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own - both commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost. He's been compared to Elvis Costello, but I think Huey has a far more bitter, cynical sense of humor. Look no farther than the bridge in 'Power of Love' - Huey contemptuously satirizes the commercialization of love, both lyrically and musically, using the Eb - G/D - Cm7 - Am7b5 chord progression that is reminiscent of the holidays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCkgYhtz64U#t=4m10s

balohna

Sleater-Kinney have a lot of great bridges, and often their best songs are the ones with the best bridges.

Bridge kicks in around 1:35 and basically lasts the rest of the song (harmonizing with the chorus around the 2 minute mark).

https://youtu.be/X_Jha7Y5ISI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P160_odTwyY

Fleetwood Mac - The Chain

please say it counts and that it isn't just an extended outro

All clips will take you to the bridge:

James Brown - Sexmachine

The Beatles - Don't Let Me Down

More a breakdown than a bridge but it's awesome:
Rush - Working Man

Metallica - One

Where the Streets Have No Name - U2 (link starts just before bridge)

Easily the most euphoric moment of the song... (and any U2 concert for that matter) Guitar and bass cut out momentarily, the drums go quiet and then build back up to the harmonies from Bono and Edge while they blast the lights behind them. Gives me chills every time.
I like you all.

Top Bottom