• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grenfell Tower residents urge visitors to stop taking selfies

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
We've found a selfie addict.

I hardly ever take a selfie unless it's my kids or wife in the pic. Even then it's rare.

I just don't care what other people do.

I don't know what goes through each persons mind when they take one. Nor do I care all that much what they are thinking. People deal with tragedies in different ways.

Trickster

620-breanna9tuby.jpg

Internet made it easy for one to live within an own social bubble

She and her father had talked about visiting the concentration camp. Her father died before they could take the trip. She later visited it without him and took a selfie where she smiled because she was happy to visit the place that she and her dead father had wanted to visit.

God what a horrible monster she is /s

Dick Jones

Gold Member
It reminds me of when I visited the 9/11 memorial in NYC, and there were loads of people doing big happy smiley photos/selfies in front of the rememberance pools. Felt like pushing them in, the knobs.

Came to write this, I saw the same myself at ground zero in 2014. I was sickened by this selfie bullshit behaviour in places that endured heartache. At this moment if you are specifically going to the area because of the fire either go to help out or fuck off. It's sad that asking humans not to take photos of where people recently died is now not an unspoken rule.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
She and her father had talked about visiting the concentration camp. Her father died before they could take the trip. She later visited it without him and took a selfie where she smiled because she was happy to visit the place that she and her dead father had wanted to visit.

I guess without the context, it's easy to judge. What's the context of people taking selfies at the Tower?

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
A smiley face? Seriously?

Reminds me of
170523125935-trump-signs-guest-book-at-yad-vashem-holocaust-memorial-museum-exlarge-169.jpg

People really need to stop and think about what they are doing. Taking a picture of just the 9/11 memorial in NY City for example if you are sharing how beautiful a memorial it is and making mention of the horrible tragedy is one thing. Taking an selfie with you at the scene of tragedy is just ... well.. you have no respect or you are celebrating it as a victory for your cause IMO.

I felt a little uncomfortable taking photos at the 9/11 memorial, but there were some utterly beautiful images where loved ones had put flowers in the stencil names of their loved one that I really wanted to preserve.

I never shared them online, though. Nor was I in the picture.

Griss

Kinda burned out on getting mad at the stupid shit young people do with their phones, but I'll make an exception for this one.

It's a question of time, as it always is with these things.

Rape and murder aren't considered funny by most, but the vikings 'raping and pillaging' is considered a humorous trope at this stage because we're a thousand years removed from it, so the pain and suffering of the victims no longer really hits home with us.

As for WWII, there will come a point when everyone involved and their children are gone and it will no longer be 'modern' history. The way we see it may change. I'm not saying it'll ever become a trope, but the gravity with which we currently treat everything about it may lessen with time.

But in this case, the bodies of children are still literally up in the tower in their destroyed homes - having suffered the most horrific of deaths - and relatives are waiting outside to receive their remains.

It's revoltingly disrespectful.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I felt a little uncomfortable taking photos at the 9/11 memorial, but there were some utterly beautiful images where loved ones had put flowers in the stencil names of their loved one that I really wanted to preserve.

I never shared them online, though. Nor was I in the picture.

Taking photos of it is fine, it's when you see some bellend with a selfie stick literally smiling at a memorial where thousands died then fuck off.

That being said I took photos of the 9/11 memorial but also like you never shared them on had myself in it. To me, it's a reminder of the evil that man can unleash on another and also a reminder of the resillance of those who survived it.

I hardly ever take a selfie unless it's my kids or wife in the pic. Even then it's rare.

I just don't care what other people do.

I don't know what goes through each persons mind when they take one. Nor do I care all that much what they are thinking. People deal with tragedies in different ways.
Somehow I doubt the problem is people impacted by this tragedy. I don't think the families and friends of the victims are the ones taking selfies.

You really think people going there and taking selfies are "dealing with a tragedy in a different way"?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Taking photos of it is fine, it's when you see some bellend with a selfie stick literally smiling at a memorial where thousands died then fuck off.

That being said I took photos of the 9/11 memorial but also like you never shared them on had myself in it. To me, it's a reminder of the evil that man can unleash on another and also a reminder of the resillance of those who survived it.

I witnessed this when I visited myself and it just made me angry. The place was filled with selfie sticks and I could hardly believe what I was seeing. Selfie culture is a plague, people can't exist anymore outside their palace of 'me'.

With the Grenfell Tower though it's even more saddening because the tragedy happened only a week or so ago. Have some respect for the people who suffered, idiots

choco-fish

God people really suck, and so do the
People that then go on to like these selfies when they are posted to social media.

Would have been a cute story if it was Disney Land.

As I recall, there was a story about that particular girl. Her Father had recently died and they had always talked about visiting the memorial but never got a chance to before he died. She was happy at that moment because she made it there. It was a happy moment for her, it wasn't just her being a selfish prick.

Still dumb as hell.

Top Bottom