• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grey Goo |OT| Nanomachines son!

Nokterian

Official NeoGaf Grey Goo Thread

greygoo_headertxuup.jpg

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Release date : January 23rd
Platform : PC
Price : €45,99/$50/£29.99
Genre : RTS
http://store.steampowered.com/app/290790/
Using Steamworks :

Single-player
Multi-player
Steam Achievements
Steam Leaderboards
Steam Cloud
Stats
Includes level editor
Steam Workshop

Made by

Petroglyphlogo.jpg

Music by

15682393254_19a298309e_o.gif

If you still don't have a clue who this man is well here is a example who has made iconic music for over a decade in RTS.

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

About the game :

Drawn to a remote world, three intelligent lifeforms fight for control of its resources. Here they must each answer the primal choice of life...extinction or evolution?

Grey Goo is a real-time strategy (RTS) game evolved from classic strategy mechanics. With base-building at its core, Grey Goo aims to reinvigorate RTS with an emphasis on tactics over micromanagement.

Features

Find the faction that fits your play style—and master it by taking on the AI or the Grey Goo community.
Experience the conflict on Ecosystem 9 up close and personal in the single-player campaign.
Join the fray on Steam and find opponents through skill-based matchmaking.
Change the rules of the battlefield with unit-altering tech upgrades.
Deliver devastating blows by constructing game-ending Epic units.
Take the battle offline via Local Area Network play.
Create your own battlefields with the Grey Goo map editor and share them with the community via Steam Workshop.

The Three Races :

BETA
Once a great spacefaring culture, the Beta have fled, beaten and broken, to Ecosystem 09 (Nine) after war has torn their civilization apart. With the sacrifice of their last starship, they hope to utilize the ample resources of Nine to rebuild, and to perhaps one day return to the stars.

ORIGINS
Built from the scraps of their last starship, the Beta colony on Ecosystem 09 (Nine) is born out of necessity. Once a thriving culture, everything they craft is a reflection of their ultimate purpose: to defend their society from the chaos that threatens to consume it. Upon gathering catalyst, Nine's valuable resource, the Beta rely on their skycranes to transport supplies and construct their outposts. While highly mobile, Beta forces must connect these outposts to power hubs in order to establish their forces. Like the Beta's structures, their combat units value mobility. Beta units are expertly piloted by individual soldiers, but they are only as powerful as the hand of their commander. A skilled leader can construct multiple outposts in resource-rich or easily defensible locations to gain an advantage on the battlefield.

gg_wallpaper_1920x108puo1z.png

HUMANS
Generations removed from space exploration and concluding themselves alone in the Galaxy, Humanity is surprised to hear a strange signal coming from a planet on the edge of charted space. As a young scientist leads an excursion to investigate the anomaly, she discovers that humanity's warring past cannot fully be put to rest.

ORIGINS
After centuries of expanding into the far reaches of the Galaxy, Humanity discovers only darkness — and war. Convinced they are alone, Humans retreat back to Earth to preserve what is left of Humanity, and to end war permanently. In the process of decommissioning their instruments of war, mankind concludes that the most deadly instruments are they themselves. War is a product of human nature. They fully pull themselves above the decision-making loop, relegating the majority of action to their AI constructs until the signal arrives that reminds them of their past. With only an academic knowledge of warfare and access to the greatest technology in creation, the Human expedition on Nine must resurrect their old instruments of war and return themselves to the seat of command. Their own survival and potentially the survival of all life in the Galaxy depends on it.

gg_wallpaper_1920x108l0rum.png

https://www.greybox.com/greygoo/en/info/factions/humans/

GOO
Explore. Gather. Report. The Pathfinder program was created by Humans as a way to chart the Galaxy. Though the program was retired, the Goo continued its mission into the farthest reaches of space. Now, it has reemerged. Having evolved beyond its original programming it is seemingly driven by a single directive: consume all that stands in its way.

ORIGINS
Originally engineered in the late 21st Century as an exploration tool, the Goo was the key to unlocking Humanity's passage outside of the Solar System. Able to access the inaccessible, it revealed the Galaxy's secrets and charted traversable paths stretching across the Milky Way. As the undiscovered became discovered, and the unknown disappeared, the Goo had fulfilled its purpose and was ceased...or so it was thought. More than a century has since passed, and the Goo has returned from the last remaining darkness of the Galaxy. It has altered, evolved, and is set on a path of destruction leading back to its creator.

gg_wallpaper_1920x10868jtb.png

https://www.greybox.com/greygoo/en/info/factions/goo/

Videos

Launch Trailer
Creating the Soundtrack
Better Competition

More to be found on there youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/greygoogame

Wallpaper :

My first OT please be gentle also go this thread because who doesn't love Frank Klepacki?

Frank Klepacki is the most diverse and creative composer in the industry

Reviews :

Gamingtrend

Grey Goo wildly exceeds all expectations for presentation and gameplay. While there are a few issues with cheating and infinite units in single player, the multiplayer is rock solid.

Score : 90

PC Gamer

Two very similar factions dull its edge, but Grey Goo’s old-school take on strategy still makes it one of the most interesting new RTS games in years.

Score : 82

Twinfinite

Grey Goo is a symphony of strategy games. The rhythm of base building roots your spine with the amazing soundtrack and visuals providing a solid melody from the wind instruments. Sharp, aggressive strings scream into life with the combat as epic units crescendo in the brass section’s apocalyptic fury.

Score : 80

TotalBiscuit..WTF is Grey Goo?

"A slower paced, accessible RTS in the classic 90s style. An all-round polished experience by veterans of the genre."

Does GG have a campaign? I don't see mention of it on the store page, so I'd assume not.

The singleplayer portions are often my favourite part of RTSes so I'm curious how much is there for it, or if it's just AI vs. bots, with multiplayer as the primary focus.

Oh, and goood OP. I particularly like the "Avatar & Wallpaper" stuff (even though the avvies are too big for GAF!)

Does GG have a campaign? I don't see mention of it on the store page, so I'd assume not.

The singleplayer portions are often my favourite part of RTSes so I'm curious how much is there for it, or if it's just AI vs. bots, with multiplayer as the primary focus.

Features

Find the faction that fits your play style—and master it by taking on the AI or the Grey Goo community.
Experience the conflict on Ecosystem 9 up close and personal in the single-player campaign.
Join the fray on Steam and find opponents through skill-based matchmaking.
Change the rules of the battlefield with unit-altering tech upgrades.
Deliver devastating blows by constructing game-ending Epic units.
Take the battle offline via Local Area Network play.
Create your own battlefields with the Grey Goo map editor and share them with the community via Steam Workshop.

;)

Nokterian

It has a singleplayer campaign forgot to add it. It has 15 missions so 5 missions per race think at least 1 hour orso per mission still solid.

jambo

https://www.greybox.com/greygoo/en/splash/

"Experience the conflict between the Beta, Humans, and the Goo in a single-player campaign. Learn about the events that set off a devastating conflict that spans the whole planet."

Seems like it does.

Deadstar

Are there any previews on this game? I really don't know much about it but I'm so thirsty for an RTS I'll buy anything.

Deadstar

Thanks for all the links. I'm watching the TB stream now. I like a game on sale as much as the next guy but if this game is good I'm getting it at full price. I need to support the RTS genre as much as I can.

Nokterian

Looks interesting, I'd like to try a new RTS.

..Stupid name though.

Not really you need to learn why they choose the name because the goo are nanomachines go wrong.

Grey goo (also spelled gray goo) is a hypothetical end-of-the-world scenario involving molecular nanotechnology in which out-of-control self-replicating robots consume all matter on Earth while building more of themselves,[1][2] a scenario that has been called ecophagy ("eating the environment").[3] The original idea assumed machines were designed to have this capability, while popularizations have assumed that machines might somehow gain this capability by accident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grey_goo

Basicly it's a end of the world scenario where nanomachines going to kill everything in there path.

Stevey

Nice.

Gonna wait 'til the weekend after I've seen some impressions of it, probably just buy it regardless though.

Mitch

Banned
Hesitant to pick this up. I'm not the biggest RTS fan out there, but this game looks exceptionally well made. Waiting on reviews, GAF consensus and price.

funkypie

Banned
Activated mine on Steam after buying from g2a. Have to wait another 2 hours before it lets me play though.

Nice. Looking forward to some impressions. Only thing stopping me buying right now is my time is so limited these days plus have other games to play. Adult life sucks for gaming.

I don't think I've ever seen a game where the price was a complete mystery up until the second of release. Very odd.

I plan to buy it anyway though, so I look forward to providing impressions.

Top Bottom