• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GRID (2019) review thread

Bullet Club

QydaulT.jpg

j8wxaIk.png

Game Informer: 7 / 10
The Grid series offers a fun, gorgeous racing experience, and I can see value in bringing it back. But this incarnation of the game performs the bare minimum of the reboot mandate when it should be doing so much more. We race to be in first place, but unfortunately, Grid seems content to be in the middle of the pack.

IGN: 8/10
It’s more streamlined than the original in terms of team management and it’s definitely way too lean on tracks, but Grid packs fun, fast-paced racing into an easy-to-digest format. Sure, it’s unrealistic for the final race to be Prototypes jumping up and down San Francisco’s iconic hills, but Grid isn’t trying to be a realistic facsimile of modern racing. Hell, with throngs of spectators dangling over the Armco, if Grid were realistic the tracks would just be a sea of severed hands and heads. Instead, it’s a hyperbolic brand of high-contact, Hollywood-style circuit and street racing delivered with style and confidence.

Eurogamer: Recommended
By its own proud admission, Grid isn't a sim - and if it's a sim you're after, might I suggest the exquisite F1 2019 or Dirt Rally 2.0 - but in its own way it's truer to the heart of motorsport than most other games with more serious sim credentials. There might be something absurd about seeing a field of GT3 cars smashing their way through narrow Chinese streets, until you remember that real racing is often even sillier still, and Grid excels at getting to the very essence of motorsport with economy, style and open arms to players of all abilities. So what exactly is this Grid? It's a refined arcade racer, and it's Codemasters doing what it does best - and doing it that little bit better, too.

Game Revolution: 3.5/5
Returning fans will remember why they enjoyed the series, but they will also realize why it hasn’t been missed all that much in the past five years without an entry.

GamingTrend: 80/100
Grid offers an enjoyable racing experience that tests your driving skills. With the nemesis feature, a ton of racing personalities, and the flashback feature, there's a good amount to make it unique. There are some annoying track designs that drag you down, but most of them are winners.

Heavy: 8.8/10
The return of GRID is largely a success. The racing itself stays fun throughout thanks to a clever Nemesis System, a nice variety of car classes and events that’ll keep you busy for months on end and a revised car handling model that caters to both types of racing game fans.

Metro GameCentral: 7/10
Some of the finest simulated driving you can find on PC and console, but with a single-player career mode that's not as fully fleshed out as you'd expect for the money.

PowerUp!: 9/10
GRID is an easy choice for racing game fans. It's a superb experience and easily the best racing game this year. For racing fans, it's a must buy.

Screen Rant: 4/5
GRID brings back the series with great success, showcasing a flexibility rarely seen in racing games that caters for everyone with little compromise.

TheSixthAxis: 7/10
GRID is an enjoyable racing game for those who want to enjoy some close racing without worrying about camber angles. The market needs games like this to provide light and shade. I was hoping this new GRID would be a fresh start, but it's a last night's takeaway re-heated. I enjoy leftovers – cold pizza is one of life's great pleasures – but that doesn't make the perfect racing game when the rest of the world has moved on.

Wccftech: 9/10
GRID is, by and far, one of the best times I've had with a racing game. Thanks to a great mixture of arcade and simulation, with a wide variety of options to let you cater the game to you, it's suitable for everybody. Not only that, thanks to the nemesis system and AI race-master, as well as the 400 unique AI personalities within the game, each and every race genuinely feels different. Simply put, GRID looks, sounds and plays great and is arguably the best all-around game from Codemasters.

I got the ultimate edition...I'm sort of on the fence so far......been playing wreckfest and got used to the physics and destruction and this game feels a little hollow

The NASCAR parts have me screaming like Ricky Bobby though

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I know this game came and went with barely leaving a ripple on the surface, but it's on major sale on PSN and I am tempted. Anybody still play it?

xrnzaaas

That's a good point. Sad what's happened to arcade racers lately.
Well Codemasters also have themselves to blame, Onrush was marketed horribly (and had a tiny marketing campaign) and GRID doesn't look like a proper next entry in the series, more like a remake with a lot of stuff from the older games being reused.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

D.Final

Banned

I can't wait

Top Bottom