• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GSC is closed, STALKER 2 cancelled [Up5: GSC: Wait for Up6 in mid-January]

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
The only thing that can save them is to get another publisher so they can continue the games development, right?

Jenga

Banned
Where is Chris Remo and Shawn Elliot? Convince Levine to buy the IP and make S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2
instead of all these other companies/figures making STALKER, how about just having the STALKER folks make STALKER?

yes, I like Bethesda. yes, I like Ken Levine. No, I don't want them to make STALKER.

Victrix

*beard*
What the heck - I literally cannot access the first page of this thread O_O

Ukranian law enforcement is watching me

sp3000

STALKER should not be touched by any US devs. Lose that thing we love about Eastern EU games.

Oh please no. I would prefer the studio close rather than seem streamlined dumbed down handholding STALKER game be released by any of the American publishers.

This really sucks. I hope that CDProject and 4A Games continue to stay in good hands. A purely US and Japan dominated market would suck so much I would probably quit gaming.

LiK

Oh please no. I would prefer the studio close rather than seem streamlined dumbed down handholding STALKER game be released by any of the American publishers.

This really sucks. I hope that CDProject and 4A Games continue to stay in good hands. A purely US and Japan dominated market would suck so much I would probably quit gaming.

Altho, i don't mind if they only pumped in money to keep them alive.

Riposte

Streamlining being forced upon could be why he mentions being unhappy with the development.

Wasn't this another THQ publishing deal?

crying_blue_monster_0071-0911-1622-2611_SMU.jpg

yeah and glorious stalker dlc

If there was DLC for the first three games, I would have bought them in a heartbeat. I want those cool quests, searching abandoned underground facilities. They could have pulled a Minerva's den, and had some really great side stuff.

Now I'm more depressed over this. :(

sp3000

Streamlining being forced upon could be why he mentions being unhappy with the development.

Wasn't this another THQ publishing deal?

Only in the US, the studio was still independent. I could see THQ being total assholes and trying to make the studio crap out more Homefront to appease the majority of their braindead audience that they usual try to cater to.

Jenga

Banned
If there was DLC for the first three games, I would have bought them in a heartbeat. I want those cool quests, searching abandoned underground facilities. They could have pulled a Minerva's den, and had some really great side stuff.

Now I'm more depressed over this. :(
yeah man, rip out some of that sweet content for day 1/preorder dlc

start off with shitty pistols in SOC? only with gamestop pre-order can you have a master stalker suit and a modded AK

Ihya

Fuck mods, can I have a "The day STALKER died" link to this thread in my profile? This is the worst gaming news for the last 5 years for me. :(

Hylian7

WHAT THE FUCK. This is extremely sad news.

Really looking forward to seeing this on tcrf.net, even though I will be crying while looking at it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
;_; ...so sad

can someone please make a full list of all the studios that died this gen?

This is definitely not a complete list, but I have a partial one:

GSC
Factor 5
Ascaron
Pandemic
FASA
Ensemble
Carbonated Games
RedOctane
Luxoflux
Rebellion Derby/Core Design
Krome
Juice
Rainbow
Heavy Iron Studios
Kaos
Blue Tongue
THQ Australia
EA Chicago
Bright Light
Realtime Worlds
Flagship Studios
Underground Developments
7 Studios
Bizzare Creations
Budcat
Shaba Games
Wolfpack
Flight Plan
Game Republic
Cing
Propaganda Games
Black Rock
Codemasters Guildford
Square Enix Los Angeles
UTV Florida
Midway Austin
Rockstar Vienna
NCSoft Austin
Acclaim
Hudson Entertainment
Bedlam Games
Play Well Studios
Capcom Studio 8
Clover
Midway Games
Midway Austin
Midway Newcastle
Midway Los Angeles
Midway Australia
Bionic Games
GRIN
Sega Racing Studio

A few of those might be end of last generation depending on how you want to count it.

There's also stuff like Free Radical and Planet Moon which I'm not sure how to categorize.

LiK

GSC
Factor 5
Ascaron
Pandemic
FASA
Ensemble
Carbonated Games
RedOctane
Luxoflux
Rebellion Derby/Core Design
Krome
Juice
Rainbow
Heavy Iron Studios
Kaos
Blue Tongue
THQ Australia
EA Chicago
Bright Light
Realtime Worlds
Flagship Studios
Underground Developments
7 Studios
Bizzare Creations
Budcat
Shaba Games
Wolfpack
Flight Plan
Game Republic
Cing
Propaganda Games
Black Rock
Codemasters Guildford
Square Enix Los Angeles
UTV Florida
Midway Austin
Rockstar Vienna
NCSoft Austin
Acclaim
Hudson Entertainment
Bedlam Games
Play Well Studios
Capcom Studio 8
Clover
Midway Games
Midway Austin
Midway Newcastle
Midway Los Angeles
Midway Australia
Bionic Games
GRIN
Sega Racing Studio

A few of those might be end of last generation depending on how you want to count it.

There's also stuff like Free Radical and Planet Moon which I'm not sure how to categorize.

should separate the ones killed off by Activision :p

Angry Fork

Why would it happen to a series/dev like this? Stalker gets a lot of praise on PC and it seemed like this PS3/360/PC combo for the sequel could've really branched them out more and sell more in general. Lots of people were hyped for the sequel. Why shut the doors on this? Unless development was going too slow maybe?

This shit sucks though I was really looking forward to the sequel, at least Metro 2033 is getting a sequel but it's not the same.

Jenga

Banned
in actuality i have a hunch that the owner will just move the ip off-country or to 4AA games for completion

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION

Would be interesting to see a list of all the studios founded (and still going) this gen as well. :)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/12/09/wuh-oh-gsc-stalker-2-dead/

LATEST UPDATE: 1c Ukraine’s Sergey Galenkin has blogged about the closure of GSC. He states: “GSC is closed, a fact confirmed by all. The team is almost completely dissolved, the state has only a few people.” Galenkin blames the cost of developing a PC only shooter for a European audience, and a failed console publishing deal, for the collapse of the developer.

Here is his blog post: http://translate.google.com/transla...//galyonkin.com/2011/12/09/pro-zakryitie-gsc/

The reason, which I believe - STALKER 2 is obtained only for the PC, an agreement with publishers on the console did not work, and self-publishing the game under the console at the GSC does not have resources. Some say that the GSC demanded incredible condition, others that Western publishers do not want to postapokalipsisa from Eastern Europe. It is clear that the story the game on a PC with a target market in Eastern Europe would be sold in small editions.

Top Bottom