• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA 5's Leaked Xbox 360 Data Reveals PC, PS4 Build Code

If I had some idea of when the PS4 version is coming out, I'd possibly wait for it. As it stands, with no window release in sight, I'll have to settle with the PS3 version some time this month instead. Shame really, as a game so ambitious and grand in scope will clearly benefit from next-gen hardware, and I really don't like the idea of double-dipping for it.

If I had some idea of when the PS4 version is coming out, I'd possibly wait for it. As it stands, with no window release in sight, I'll have to settle with the PS3 version some time this month instead. Shame really, as a game so ambitious and grand in scope will clearly benefit from next-gen hardware, and I really don't like the idea of double-dipping for it.

I'm gonna predict it's sooner than people think.

Joeki11a

Banned
I bet you their is a deal with Sony
For Spring 2014, what better way to counter titnfall?
xbox one Isnt getting it until Fall 2014

Hindle

Banned

Late 2014 would be my guess. That's when the next gen consoles will really take off sales wise and I expect Rockstar will take full advantage of the situation.

Joeki11a

Banned
With Rockstar never being able to
Develop "AGENT", they needed to do something and a port up to next gen of their next GTA was the best way out of the deal.

Bailers

I bet you their is a deal with Sony
For Spring 2014, what better way to counter titnfall?
xbox one Isnt getting it until Fall 2014

Why spring? Why not Christmas? We have a PS3 bundle now. They'll get plenty of time to sell the game and bundle.Announce in late October-early November that it's coming for launch to PS4. Or in December. Make Christmas sales a slam dunk. I don't see what either Rockstar or Sony have to gain by holding the release, unless it isn't physically ready.

Sanic

I'll put in a guess for late December announcement (VGAs?) for a spring/early summer release. I don't see fall 2014 happening.

PC build means that these supposed insane porting costs won't be that high. It'll be worth it by then.

Blueblur1

PS4 version would be ideal for me. I'll happily wait since I'm not a huge GTA fan. The last thing I want is a slide-show console version like GTA IV on consoles was.

gtj1092

The userbase for the next gen won't be high enough to justify the port in Spring.

So should no next gen titles release between launch and next Christmas. If the user base isn't big enough for a port then the user base surely won't be big enough for exclusives. Launch is filled with ports. GTA will sell fine whenever its released.

Mixed feelings on this.

At the end of the day, I have to imagine Rockstar is gonna draw out the release of the next gen version significantly. For a couple of reasons:

- It won't want to poach sales of the current gen versions
- user base growth
- the longer it waits (within reason), the better the chance of double dipping, which I'm sure it realizes is a phenomenon they're going to want to capitalize on

So it's going to be at least a year, I'd estimate more.

As for an upgrade program, it'd be amazing, but I think we all know they have absolutely no reason to do that :(

belmonkey

So if there is going to be next-gen versions too, does that mean that PC might get the current-gen port? (assuming PS4 doesn't get it too)

Hindle

Banned
The userbase is 0 the day Ubisoft is releasing Watch Dogs on next gen consoles. Same goes for every single next gen game, and yet they're all coming out.

The next gen consoles will explode come fall next year in terms of software and hardware. The reason why they won't launch in Spring is any next gen port would be mostly ignored by the public who will still be buying the current gen version.

Come next fall, I expect more people will be talking about the next gen, so any port of GTA V gains more attention.

Hindle

Banned
So should no next gen titles release between launch and next Christmas. If the user base isn't big enough for a port then the user base surely won't be big enough for exclusives. Launch is filled with ports. GTA will sell fine whenever its released.

Great point but I'd say Rockstar want any port to do more then fine. They'll want millions of sales on the next gen and they're more likely to get that by launching any port, at a time when the next gen is gaining momentum.

Yoday

Why spring? Why not Christmas? We have a PS3 bundle now. They'll get plenty of time to sell the game and bundle.Announce in late October-early November that it's coming for launch to PS4. Or in December. Make Christmas sales a slam dunk. I don't see what either Rockstar or Sony have to gain by holding the release, unless it isn't physically ready.
Because there will be plenty of launch games out to hold people over for a least a few months. My guess is that if this in fact coming out, it will be a month or two after Second Son. They would be much better off releasing when they don't have any other big games coming out in order to help maintain release momentum. It would also give them a huge title during a time when MS has nothing coming out, or act as a counter to Titanfall.

Shaneus

So I'm probably a bit slow on this, but is there any reason someone couldn't compare the "settings" from the PS3 and 360 versions and tell us which is the better version going by things like texture sizes, AA used and that sort of thing?

The first playthrough is always special. 99.9% of the time I only play through a game once, then move on to something else.

I want my first (and probably only) play through of GTA V to be at 1080p, with a crisp and stable framerate. That's why I'm holding out rather than double dipping. Fuck current gen.

Yoday

If this port is a thing that is happening because of the lack of Agent, then I highly doubt GTAV will ever come out on the Xbone. A timed console exclusive of a port of a game that will already have sold millions is not worth a true exclusive title. I hope this is the case too, because that would mean that they will be putting extra effort into making the port as good as possible and developing fully to the PS4's strengths.

Yoday

So I'm probably a bit slow on this, but is there any reason someone couldn't compare the "settings" from the PS3 and 360 versions and tell us which is the better version going by things like texture sizes, AA used and that sort of thing?
Digital Foundry will likely have something prepared for review day. It may not be a full face off, but at least a quick write up explaining some core differences if they exist.

omonimo

Banned
Great point but I'd say Rockstar want any port to do more then fine. They'll want millions of sales on the next gen and they're more likely to get that by launching any port, at a time when the next gen is gaining momentum.

So you think a game GTA V will sell more on ps4 when the game will appears completely outdated compared to the new incoming? Sorry but lol. I think GTA V has more big chance to sell more at the ps4 launch, because there is no so much more to play on it.

Because there will be plenty of launch games out to hold people over for a least a few months. My guess is that if this in fact coming out, it will be a month or two after Second Son. They would be much better off releasing when they don't have any other big games coming out in order to help maintain release momentum. It would also give them a huge title during a time when MS has nothing coming out, or act as a counter to Titanfall.

I think Christmas would be perfect. As you say, Spring it would be competing with Second Son. As far as launch titles go, there aren't any system sellers IMO. Most people will find a couple to buy with the console that interest them, and they will be played out by Christmas morning. What better way to spend Christmas vacation, then popping in GTAV.

So you think a game GTA V will sell more on ps4 when the game will appears completely outdated compared to the new incoming? Sorry but lol. I think GTA V has more big chance to sell more at the ps4 launch, because there is no so much more to play on it.
Outdated? If it looks near the pc version it won't look outdated at all.

Tobor

I think Christmas would be perfect. As you say, Spring it would be competing with Second Son. As far as launch titles go, there aren't any system sellers IMO. Most people will find a couple to buy with the console that interest them, and they will be played out by Christmas morning. What better way to spend Christmas vacation, then popping in GTAV.

Infamous is out late February. GTAV could hit in April without issue.

Elios83

It's obvious that GTAV will be released on next gen consoles next year.
GTAVI will take at least 3 years to be developed (and that's being optimistic..) and Rockstar definetly wants the next gen money sooner than that.
About the fact that only the PS4 is being mentioned.....it might be nothing....but it's also possible that Sony and Rockstar have rearranged the terms of their deal.
GTAV PS4 exclusive makes a lot of sense for both parts. Rockstar hasn't honored their deal with Sony yet and offering GTAV for PS4 would require much less work and financial risks than creating a new IP. Sony at this point might be pissed off about Rockstar not being able to deliver on their deal so having GTAV next gen exclusive in 2014 with a spring release is definetly much better than waiting forever for something unknown.
We'll see how things unfold.

BibiMaghoo

I've been avoiding the OT and spoiler thread, but is it fair to say now then, that the footage shown was NOT the PS3 version, as they stated?

Is the difference that big?

Jedi2016

Makes sense, this close to the next generation. They just don't want to announce right now because it would hurt current-gen sales.

eso76

buying current and next gen version when it lands.
no pc since while my rig is decent enough, i just cant enjoy games on my pc setup.

Oynox

I am pretty sure it will come for next gen consoles as soon as the PC version releases... nevertheless, I am going to buy it for those consoles as well.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

McHuj

I think a December release makes most sense for impacting console sales, if its delayed to long into next year then I'm not sure it's going to really affect hardware sales one way or another.

Certinty

Can't wait. Haven't even played the game yet but the PS4 one will no doubt be the perfect version of the greatest game ever made.

eso76

I've been avoiding the OT and spoiler thread, but is it fair to say now then, that the footage shown was NOT the PS3 version, as they stated?

Is the difference that big?

no, ive been watching a few streams and the game looks every bit as good as those trailrs to me.
everything considered, it might be the most impressive technical achievment on current gen and it looks considerably smoothere than iv too.

KAL2006

Banned

I honestly think they need to announce GTA5 at mid November (2 months after current gen release), and release it before Christmas at December (a month after announcement).Mainly because GTA5 would make a great launch title, and GTA5 will continue to be the hot item (im sure it will win some GoTY awards too). By next year we will have TitanFall, Destiny and inFamous hype, by then GTA5 will be old news.

Shaneus

Digital Foundry will likely have something prepared for review day. It may not be a full face off, but at least a quick write up explaining some core differences if they exist.
That's what I'm hoping for. That, and that they have it up before it (hopefully) leaks here in Australia. It's expected we'll be able to get it tomorrow (as in, less than 12 hours away).

I find it hilarious how quiet they are on the PC versions of their games.

Pretty obvious they just want people to imulse buy the game.

Nah.... whatever.

Infamous is out late February. GTAV could hit in April without issue.

Guess it could be April, but I'll keep crossing my fingers for this December. I still think the delay from this Spring to Fall was because they started developing for next gen and didn't want the game to be stale by the time the next gen version was ready.

Top Bottom