• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTTV/Spike is airing an entire episode about Unreal Engine 4 on June 7th

.JayZii

Banned
I don't understand how anyone could watch this, Star Wars 1313, Watchdogs and Agin's Philosophy and not want next-gen asap. It just looks so much better than what we currently have on consoles.

I think it comes from a lot of people watching videos of games more than playing them, which leads to a skewed perspective on what graphics actually look like in console games.

Izayoi

Banned
The UE4 trailer wasn't really a great showcase, the developer walkthrough was much more impressive to me. Luminous looked really good, but it has some problems with particle effects that UE4 doesn't seem to struggle with.

Elixist

Im fapping so hard to the little pirate ship demo they show a couple seconds of, ive wanted that for so long, with isometric view awesome waves, amazing.

No, but real time is real time no matter how you spin it.

The Agni's Philosophy demo wasn't particularly impressive to me, not compared to this.

Then there's something seriously wrong with your perception of game tech.

The stuff on display in the Square demo is a leap forward in tech of an order of magnitude, where as there's nothing in the UE4 demo that's not exactly one step removed from current tech.

AzaK

The stuff on display in the Square demo is a leap forward in tech of an order of magnitude, where as there's nothing in the UE4 demo that's not exactly one step removed from current tech.

What is this Square demo?

Huh? Really?

I watched the Square technology demo and was impressed. However, no more impressed than I was with UE4. Maybe it's because Square's demo looked so much like CG or something. I don't know.

AzaK

That lighting was an awesome thing to see. I look forward to seeing actual games with it.
We still don't know for certain that Wii U has the necessary feature set.
XD

Sure but Jesus, if it can't do what an iPhone can do, that's pretty depressing :)

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
This impressed me more than Agni's Philosophy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOvfn1p92_8&feature=plcp
1203011967543.gif

Particles.. so... pwitty...

Trickster

Because its the same shitty games in a shinier wrapper.

Exact same thing applies to ps2/xbox/gc -> ps3/360

Dunno what you want from next-gen if it's not better graphics tbh. Wii U maybe?

Huh? Really?

I watched the Square technology demo and was impressed. However, no more impressed than I was with UE4. Maybe it's because Square's demo looked so much like CG or something. I don't know.

You say that like it's a bad thing?

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

There's something seriously wrong with your perception of game tech.

Eusis

I don't understand how anyone could watch this, Star Wars 1313, Watchdogs and Agin's Philosophy and not want next-gen asap. It just looks so much better than what we currently have on consoles.
Perhaps because we're dividing enjoyment of graphics from enjoyment of games? This stuff looks fantastic, but it's the game I didn't recognize as looking better than current stuff and is even confirmed for current consoles (Watch_Dogs) that I'm interested in playing, Star Wars 1313 sounds like it's going to be SW-flavored Uncharted, Agni's Philosophy indicates an interesting world we may never actually get to visit, and this is just a generic fantasy thing used to show off a new engine.

brobban

Really impressive. looks amazing!

But I think they should have shown something we can relate to, human characters with closeups of skin, eyes etc..
The same way they did with UE3, when they showed Malcolm from Unreal Tournament. They could have shown characters from Gears instead.

Trickster

Perhaps because we're dividing enjoyment of graphics from enjoyment of games? This stuff looks fantastic, but it's the game I didn't recognize as looking better than current stuff and is even confirmed for current consoles (Watch_Dogs) that I'm interested in playing, Star Wars 1313 sounds like it's going to be SW-flavored Uncharted, Agni's Philosophy indicates an interesting world we may never actually get to visit, and this is just a generic fantasy thing used to show off a new engine.

The Watch_Dogs footage clearly looks better than any current console game imo. Just the smoke right after you enter the exhibition area looked miles better than any particle effects I've seen on the consoles. And while it's confirmed for current gen consoles, that doesn't mean you should expect it to looks remotely as good as the footage they've shown so far, which ran on a high end pc from what I understand.

There's something seriously wrong with your perception of game tech.

Everything in that developer walk through is like 1 iterative step up from a Cryengine 3 demo. We will absolutely see games that hit that visual benchmark and surpass it.

The square thing (texture resolution aside) is still up in the air if we'll see something outside of a tech demo that can push hair, cloth, collision detection/material manipulation on that level.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Yeah, I really want to see some human and clothes stuff too.

The more I think about it.. it's kind of odd none of that stuff was in the demos.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
The Watch_Dogs footage clearly looks better than any current console game imo. Just the smoke right after you enter the exhibition area looked miles better than any particle effects I've seen on the consoles. And while it's confirmed for current gen consoles, that doesn't mean you should expect it to looks remotely as good as the footage they've shown so far, which ran on a high end pc from what I understand.
The thing about Watch Dogs though is that, although it looks ridiculously good, it doesn't look like an entire generational leap over stuff like TLoU.

Whereas Agni's Philosophy makes FF13's real time cutscenes (still one of the absolute best looking games this gen) look like a god damn joke...

Trickster

Yeah, I really want to see some human and clothes stuff too.

The more I think about it.. it's kind of odd none of that stuff was in the demos.

The more I think about it, I think one of the big reasons people might not be too impressed with the demo, is the lack of a human face. The guy in the elemental video is just some emotionless humanoid with little facial detail outside of special effects.

Adding a human face would give people a much better idea of how realistic things can actually look.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Everything in that developer walk through is like 1 iterative step up from a Cryengine 3 demo. We will absolutely see games that hit that visual benchmark and surpass it.

The square thing (texture resolution aside) is still up in the air if we'll see something outside of a tech demo that can push hair, cloth, collision detection/material manipulation on that level.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMwk2Zi0c3o

There is nothing in here that approaches the quality of the UE4 walkthrough I just posted. The skin shading was nice but that wasn't shown in the UE4 demo so I can't compare. Environment lighting is absolutely no comparison.

NBtoaster

What's so much better in the Square Demo? UE4's lighting and particles look much better to me.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Really impressive. looks amazing!

But I think they should have shown something we can relate to, human characters with closeups of skin, eyes etc..
The same way they did with UE3, when they showed Malcolm from Unreal Tournament. They could have shown characters from Gears instead.

They will, but only after they announce the game is in development, which they can't do until MS announces the 720.

If they showed us Gears characters in UE4, that would not exactly put the best light on Judgment, which will look VERY dated by comparison.

E3 2013 will truly be a spectacle for the eyes.

Exact same thing applies to ps2/xbox/gc -> ps3/360

Dunno what you want from next-gen if it's not better graphics tbh. Wii U maybe?

You say that like it's a bad thing?

Oh I'm sure it's impressive technology - but it just felt a little... boring to me. UE4 was by no means exciting - but felt much more 'gamey' if that makes any sense?

Trickster

The thing about Watch Dogs though is that, although it looks ridiculously good, it doesn't look like an entire generational leap over stuff like TLoU.

Whereas Agni's Philosophy makes FF13's real time cutscenes (still one of the absolute best looking games this gen) look like a god damn joke...

the difference between Watch_Dogs and TLoU is that Watch_Dogs appears to be an open world game, while TLoU seems to be of a much more linear design, similar to uncharted. And Watch_Dogs still looks markedly better imo.

It'd probably be more realistic to compare GTAIV ( or GTA V ) to Watch_Dogs.

Oh I'm sure it's impressive technology - but it just felt a little... boring to me. UE4 was by no means exciting - but felt much more 'gamey' if that makes any sense?

That's true, it's clear from the moment you see UE4 that's it's a game. With the Agnis demo I thought it was cgi for a bit.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So the real question is can we finally get multiplayer games where flashlights work as light sources for everyone and not the just the player using the flashlight. That shit really annoys me.

Log4Girlz

Yeah I'm far more impressed with Square's demo. No idea which is more technically advanced, I just fucking love the art of Square's demo. I want to play that shit like you wouldn't believe.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Yeah I'm far more impressed with Square's demo. No idea which is more technically advanced, I just fucking love the art of Square's demo. I want to play that shit like you wouldn't believe.

I think you're missing the point of a tech demo. It is to show off technology, not have you pick which ones art you like better.

It is entirely possible that if Squares tech demo was remade using UE4 that it could look even better, while retaining the art style you prefer.

Zaptruder

Banned
So the next gen tech demos shown so far look pretty goddamn good. Pretty much video-game CG quality, but in gameplay form.

But how real is it? I don't doubt that UE4 looks as good as it does in real time... but the gameplay stuff from Star Wars 1313 and Watchdogs... looks very game like, but also fucking phenomenal.

And it's because there are no gamestyle breaks in the animation - just smooth flowing animation that appears to be unique from moment to moment - other than the movement.

Like... the CQC in watchdog looks definetly too scripted. But I suppose it's possible to get that sort of animation result with QT style gameplay - like in Uncharted - initiate the CQC, then string together a bunch of button presses to chain together combos. Is that really the kind of gameplay we want from next-gen?

Is this a case of a scripted gameplay cutscene to sell us on the idea of next gen, or is it a case of improving technology?

And what's the deal with these guys showing off next-gen stuff now? Are they doing this to lobby Sony and Microsoft into beefing up their consoles? It seems like it. A political wrangling from developers to get the big console manufacturers to make sure that next gen isn't performance capped from the get go.

But... it's really all a bit depressing to be honest. The one demo and person that was most on point this E3 was John Carmack.

10 times the graphics fidelity couldn't get you an ounce of immersion that a literal change in perspective would get you - from TV to VR.

If we had good quality VR; head tracking, large field of vision and that leap motion tech - it would stop feeling like a videogame, and start feeling like we were in the metaverse - ala Snow Crash.

Imagine having these level of graphics, full field of vision, retina resolution, with a functioning natural language system - where instead of flicking through menus to turn on navigation, you just say: "Computer; find next waypoint."

Instead of futzing around with gamepads - your hands control your in game hands. Your finger moves, its finger moves. You grasp the steering wheel, it grasps the steering wheel.

It's not even funny how far beyond our deprecated control system our graphics have moved - the realism of the scene is limited largely by the limitations of our ability to interact with the scene. Instead of using our bodies to control the bodies of the character, we use analogue sticks - so that developers have to do silly tricks like having the characters sway back and forth, touching walls like an OCD crack user. That kinda stuff is just going to intensify next gen - as developers push the boundary against realistic representation and input response time.

I know I've gone off on a bit of a tangent from the current discussion... as far as UE4 vs Luminous goes... it's pretty clear - UE4 is built with workflow and iteration - clear lessons learnt from UE3. Environmentally it looks stunning - colours and dynamic range appear better than what's shown in Luminous. But no people. Means it'll probably have less than awesome people again. I don't know if Watchdog and Star Wars 1313 are there own engines or UE4 licensees - but those characters are a clear step below what's been shown in Luminous.

apana

The more I think about it, I think one of the big reasons people might not be too impressed with the demo, is the lack of a human face. The guy in the elemental video is just some emotionless humanoid with little facial detail outside of special effects.

Adding a human face would give people a much better idea of how realistic things can actually look.

Don't worry I'm sure Epic has learned their lesson. Unreal Engine 5 demo will have a cute sorceress as the main focus instead of the servant of Morgoth.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
the difference between Watch_Dogs and TLoU is that Watch_Dogs appears to be an open world game, while TLoU seems to be of a much more linear design, similar to uncharted. And Watch_Dogs still looks markedly better imo.

It'd probably be more realistic to compare GTAIV ( or GTA V ) to Watch_Dogs.
But, see, I don't think it matters if it's open world or not. If it's a real generational leap nothing on current gen hardware should even come close in my opinion.

The best of the best of the current gen should always be compared to the next generation of games. And the difference between Watch Dogs and TLoU isn't what I'd call a generational gap. Just one game simply looking superior to another, but certainly not by any ridiculous margin.

What's so much better in the Square Demo? UE4's lighting and particles look much better to me.
Art.

I'll say again for the second time in this thread. UE4's only drawback was it's art style. It's for shit...

Everything else is just fine. I think they both look insanely good and one isn't that much better than the other.

Top Bottom