• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerrilla: Killzone Shadow Fall multiplayer runs at 60fps "a lot of the time"

Multiplayer also outputs at 1080p native, but the official line from developer Guerrilla Games is that it runs at 60 frames per second "a lot of the time" - that is, in certain situations, when there's a lot happening on screen, it drops below the 60 fps benchmark.

"Running 60 has become this Holy Grail. Suddenly people think if you run 60 your game is better. Technically, that's not really true. But what it does do is it makes decisions go from input to on-screen a lot easier. "So, having a constant 60 is not actually better than having a 'lot of the time' 60. It sounds weird, but it's actually true. Because usually in the moments where we're going to drop framerate, either you're already dead or it's too late anyway." Boltjes said Guerrilla decided to push the visual detail in Killzone, and accepted taking a hit in framerate as a result.

"I think our game, graphically, especially multiplayer, looks a lot more detailed and vibrant than a lot of the other games we are in direct competition with.

"We didn't want to make any graphical concessions. We didn't want to say, we can run at 60 constantly if we just half the resolution and take out all the destructibility and remove all the glass, for example. We didn't want to do that. We wanted to keep it really pretty and try to make it 60.

"It's just we can't go out and say we're always 60, because that's lying. We're very close. And I challenge anybody to notice, without Digital Foundry looking at it, that there are large drops."

"The reason for that is graphically single-player is even a step above multiplayer," Boltjes explained. "There's even more destructibility.

"We analyzed what 60 brings. 60 in multiplayer is really important because your reaction time is a lot shorter. In single-player it's actually a lot longer. It's not because our AI is stupid, but because you simply have more time to react. We said we don't need 60, and we want the graphical push."
Via Eurogamer

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Ehh, not ideal. It's cool that they achieved 60 FPS for the most part, but frame drops are so jarring, I'd rather it just be a stable 30 FPS.

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
Lock if old.

Upcoming PlayStation 4 exclusive Killzone: Shadow Fall takes an interesting approach to frame rate: its single-player campaign runs at a steady 30 frames per second and outputs at a native resolution of 1080p. Multiplayer, however, is different.

Multiplayer also outputs at 1080p native, but the official line from developer Guerrilla Games is that it runs at 60 frames per second "a lot of the time" - that is, in certain situations, when there's a lot happening on screen, it drops below the 60 fps benchmark.

"So, having a constant 60 is not actually better than having a 'lot of the time' 60. It sounds weird, but it's actually true. Because usually in the moments where we're going to drop framerate, either you're already dead or it's too late anyway."

"We analysed what 60 brings. 60 in multiplayer is really important because your reaction time is a lot shorter. In single-player it's actually a lot longer. It's not because our AI is stupid, but because you simply have more time to react. We said we don't need 60, and we want the graphical push."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...-multiplayer-runs-at-60-fps-a-lot-of-the-time

edit

old go here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=686791

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
image.php

Ill post in the shinobi thread.

Also... I am not surprsied.. Also his challenge is accepted... I can unfortunately recognize framerate drops like a hawk.

I'm a HUGE 60fps evangelist... but if you can't hit a solid 60fps, lock it down at 30. Variable frame rate is FAR worse than solid 30.

New002

Ehh, not ideal. It's cool that they achieved 60 FPS for the most part, but frame drops are so jarring, I'd rather it just be a stable 30 FPS.

That's an interesting point. Would most people prefer a "mostly" 60fps experience or would they prefer a 100% stable 30fps experience? Or does it not really matter?

Gorillaz

It was always meant to be 30 for awhile but pressure from other fps devs made them gun for it. Ill take it for what it is either way as long as it comes close to 60fps

Zen

Banned
So 60 with drops. seems completely fine to be honest.

That's an interesting point. Would most people prefer a "mostly" 60fps experience or would they prefer a 100% stable 30fps experience? Or does it not really matter?

I think it honestly just matters how much it drops and how often. As long as you're not dropping below 40-45 often I doubt anyone will notice. We'll have to see what it's like when it comes out thought.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
"Running 60 has become this Holy Grail. Suddenly people think if you run 60 your game is better. Technically, that's not really true. But what it does do is it makes decisions go from input to on-screen a lot easier. "So, having a constant 60 is not actually better than having a 'lot of the time' 60. It sounds weird, but it's actually true

What the hell ? What is he trying to say ? The whole thing is just....

Guevara

That sounds... totally reasonable to me? 1080P 60FPS is the goal for next gen. Dropping frames a bit during multiplayer is to be expected.

Orayn

If they're just talking about edge cases where you get a momentary decrease in framerate when there are a ton of players and effects onscreen, that's fine.

If they're talking about an unlocked framerate of "60ish," that's not fine.

"Because usually in the moments where we're going to drop framerate, either you're already dead or it's too late anyway."

WTF?

So I guess when you notice the framerate begin to dip, you know you are about to die.

tfur

As long as it does not tear. If there is screen tearing, then well, I will not be happy.

Good to see they are being honest, and not just hand waving PR.

In the latest Eurogamer Expo presentation, they said that it'll run 60fps most of the time, but cited scenarios like "24 guys throwing grenades at the same time" as the 60fps killer.

It falls on the stress test, basically.

BigDug13

Yeah, honestly 1080p/60 with graphics on high is pretty tough to get most of the time on my 7970m card as well. And this game is pushing graphics I've never attempted on my gaming laptop. So I drop games I want at 60fps down to 720p (I play PC games through my TV so, I can't do shit like pick 1680x900).

I'm not sure. wouldn't a resolution drop and locked 60fps in multiplayer be more ideal though?

But what it does do is it makes decisions go from input to on-screen a lot easier."So, having a constant 60 is not actually better than having a 'lot of the time' 60. It sounds weird, but it's actually true."

So having great responsiveness a lot of the time is better than having great responsiveness all of the time?

Zen

Banned
True that.

In the latest Eurogamer Expo presentation, they said that it'll run 60fps most of the time, but cited scenarios like "24 guys throwing grenades at the same time" as the 60fps killer.

It falls on the stress test, basically.

Hey that really encouraging.

Top Bottom