• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild 02 - Attack of the Friday Monsters: A Tokyo Tale |OT|

Bulbasaur

Banned
Started playing this this morning. Loving the handrawn backgrounds and overall vibe. Just exploring the village is a joy, I haven't even done the first chapter yet.

I'm waiting for some reviews to drop before I pull the trigger, but this game definitely seems like it could be a winner. I'm really liking this whole Guild initiative. Through it we have gotten a selection of cool games with innovative ideas and personality, even though some may have been a little lacking in polish and execution.

I thought it was super boring.

I can see why people would find it boring, but I personally enjoyed it a lot. My absolute favorite of the bunch so far.

TehOh

Finished it up at just over three hours.

After the credits, I still have three episodes left unfinished. How do I finish those? I talked to everybody, and people just want to play the monster card game.

Gabe3208

Banned
Sounds like the majority are praising the game. I remember seeing it on a Nintendo Direct and getting excited for it without even seeing gameplay for it, but thanks to everyone's comments on the game and it's length it sounds like a game deserving of the $8. Downloading it right now!

I don't know how I did it but I managed to get stuck on Episode 9. Something isn't triggering.
I cant remember if this would apply to anything in Episode 9 specifically, but don't try to complete all chapters in a linear fashion. Some will progress or complete incidentally while you're pursuing other objectives.

After 2 hours, the game reminds me 20th Century Boys's early volumes with a touch of Ghibli.

I was reminded of 20th Century Boys too, took me 2:30 to finish the game. I find the price a little bit high, €6 would have been more apropriate in my opinion. But then on the other side, the production values of the game are really good. I loved the music (the title song was superb).
The story itself was extremely well told, even not living in Japan in the early 1970s, it felt like it captured the mood of that time very well and the characters were all well thought and each of them had it's own little back story to make them more believable. I would love to see how a "big" story from the same team, I would happily pay for a full price game.

I played in one sitting, which I can almost never do anymore for that length of time. It was incredibly charming, the music was probably the best in a game this year, and it was just the perfect length. The whole feel of it was just deliciously Ghibli-esque. Anyone who just wants to relax and play something that will charm and isn't stressful should really download this.

Impossiburu

Neo Member
Just wrapped this one up. Loved it.

My only big knock would be the length vs. cost. $8 is a touch steep for 2:35~. If it was $5 or $6, sure.

Amalthea

Banned
Finished it after 2h49. I found this to be a really lovely experience. There's not much gameplay but it's a nice little adventure game.

Lucent

Just wrapped this one up. Loved it.

My only big knock would be the length vs. cost. $8 is a touch steep for 2:35~. If it was $5 or $6, sure.

Yeah I'm just gonna wait for a sale after hearing about the length and what little gameplay is there. Oh well I've got a ton to play on there already.

The most challenging component is the card game, which really isn't all that challenging. You and your opponent lay five cards face down with a rock/paper/scissors (generally...there are a few exceptions) symbol. The game then tells you how many wins, losses and draws you have, but does not specify which particular cards are wins, losses and draws. You get two to three hints from the game, where you're told whether you won, lost or drew. You and your opponent then swap two cards.

For example, if you see that you're winning with a rock, you can assume they have scissors. They may swap that card, likely for a rock to draw or paper to win, so you have to adjust accordingly without messing up your other cards that might be winners. It just takes a little bit of concentration, but if you lose, you simply ask to play them again.
Thanks, that sounds pretty reasonable. I'll give this game a shot.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
This game is adorable so far, I'm so glad I finally get a chance to play one of the creator's games in english. The background art is incredible!

BooJoh

I really enjoyed the story and atmosphere, but felt like the card game was disconnected and not much fun, especially once you get to the post-game
where you're forced to battle just about everyone to try to figure out which "active conversation" to activate and whom to talk to afterward to finish the last few Chapters. I gave up with 3 Chapters unfinished.

randomkid

The recursive and complicated conversation trees in the endgame are actually awesome to me because I'm treating new dialogue as its own reward, Harvest Moon style, and I don't want my experience with this town to be over. While playing, I had weird specific flashbacks to Chulip, Chibi Robo, Yakuza and Chocobo Tales, for various and differing reasons. Just 1 more Space Saucer, Space Monster and Mystery Glim and I'll have completed my card collection and the last episode I'm assuming.

I love this game.

ramyeon

The charm just oozes out of this one. From the opening song to the voice over narration explaining new gameplay mechanics etc... It's so good. The card game is fun enough as well but I'm just loving exploring the town and talking to people. Only just starting so I'm sure the best is yet to come.

fr4nz

http://www.edge-online.com/review/attack-of-the-friday-monsters-a-tokyo-tale-review/

That Kaz Ayabe’s coming-of-age tale should arrive at the same time as Guillermo del Toro’s Pacific Rim could either be considered fortuitous or unfortunate timing, depending on your perspective. Both game and film feature kaiju, the colossal creations popularised by the Japanese movie industry in the 1950s, though the two couldn’t be less alike. This tale of a rustic town visited weekly by monsters in ‘70s Japan eschews bombast and spectacle for an intimate fable that casts an electrifying spell.

It follows the ten-year-old Sohta, as he attempts to acclimatise to his new home. Like his schoolmates, he’s obsessed with the hero shows of the time, and bonds with his peers over games of monster cards. These challenges prompt simple, but disarmingly engaging rock-paper-scissors battles, where the loser becomes the winner’s servant. Succeed, and you can cast a spell (which can be customised from several commands and gibberish phrases) that makes your opponent fall over, whereupon you command them to “arise!” This delightful ritual is typical of the skill with which the game captures the patterns of childhood speech and behaviour, while the world is framed with a delicate, nostalgic beauty.

A Toyko Tale is brief and entirely linear – in the main, you’re simply walking between numbered waypoints, though you can unlock certain dialogues by losing your servant status – but Ayabe transports you so utterly to an unfamiliar time and place that it matters little. By the outlandish and oddly touching final act showdown, you’ll be a rapt spectator, cheering on the heroes alongside Sohta and his newfound friends.[7]

fr4nz

Anyone finish Episode 4 and 5? Curious how those are completed.

To complete 5, you need to talk to the TV exec while Sohta's conversation topic is confusing Ramen's name for Somen.( Got it when I talked to Frank then to Akebi )

And for the episode 4, I believe you need to get all cards to complete it.

Fodder76

Very happy to see this OT and all the positive impressions. I picked the game up on launch day as, from what I've read and seen, this is the exact kind of game I always hope to see localized. Can't wait to give it a playthrough.

Regarding price, the dollars to hours argument has never sat well with me. This is the mentality that encourages developers to put a bunch of fluff in games just to artificially pad the length. A shorter game that's filled with great moment after great moment is worth the same or more to me than a longer game with a bunch of monotonous filler between the inspired gameplay.

To complete 5, you need to talk to the TV exec while Sohta's conversation topic is confusing Ramen's name for Somen.( Got it when I talked to Frank then to Akebi )

And for the episode 4, I believe you need to get all cards to complete it.

Thanks!

JKTrix

Fukkatsu! (Translator's note: Fukkatsu means BUMP)

Delightful game from what I played. A little confused at all these double-digit episodes starting when I'm only on the 3rd or 4th episode.

olimpia84

I just finished adding the $30 funds from the eshop promo and I'm strongly thinking about getting this. Game looks full of charm.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
I didn't even realize this was out already :/

Definitely plan to pick it up someday

WingedOne

Neo Member
I've completed most of the game and I have all of the cards except the Space Monster and I'm missing the last Space Monster glim. I'm not sure what I need to do to get this one? Is there a certain conversation I need to trigger? Or do I just need to keep playing Monster Cards with everyone until I get it.

reminder

My Summer Vacation doesn't ever get localized and this gets localized but i have no 3DS an no intention to buy one. Will i ever be able to play a Kaz Ayabe game? ._.

i have no 3DS an no intention to buy one.

tumblr_m7ufn8ybEk1r0d4jt.gif

Finished 100% in 5:51.
Postgame took about 2 hours and did turn into a bit of a chore.
Lovely game overall!
I personally didn't like the way the story played out but there's not much else I can fault, looking forward to playing through it again one day.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
My Summer Vacation doesn't ever get localized and this gets localized but i have no 3DS an no intention to buy one. Will i ever be able to play a Kaz Ayabe game? ._.

PSP and PS3 are region free, unless you don't have those either. You could just, I don't know, give yourself the satisfaction just this once.

reminder

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7ufn8ybEk1r0d4jt.gif

I have a PS3 and Vita and not as much freetime as i'd need for another console/handheld. Also, there isn't much else i'm interested in on the 3DS.

PSP and PS3 are region free, unless you don't have those either. You could just, I don't know, give yourself the satisfaction just this once.

I have a PS3 and had a PSP. I'm well aware that both are region free, but i'd like to understand what's going on in a game, so if a game is only japanese i simply wouldn't enjoy it.

WingedOne

Neo Member
Well, I got the Space Monster Glim that I was missing. I won it at Monster Cards with S-Chan with 4 cards winning. I don't know if it made a difference, but it was during the conversation about hearing that Frank was from outer space.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Taking this game incredibly slow since I hear it's pretty short. Just playing a little each time, man the atmosphere is fantastic in this one.

rpmurphy

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/attack-of-the-friday-monsters-review

Parish didn't enjoy the card battling but writes lovingly on the setting and premise and recommends the game.
Card game is pretty weak. The strategy in the gameplay depends way too much on the starting order and hints, which basically makes it an easy win (or a guaranteed loss depending on the hands). And those aspects are pure luck. It feels like a throwaway, and yet it feels too much involved in the overall game.

Liking the game though for its light setting. I guess the episodes can't all be completed straight away? I haven't been able to complete Episode 2 even though I've already completed higher-numbered ones.

losername

Banned
I was looking forward to this since it was first announced and I'm really happy it didn't disappoint. Didn't blow me away either, it was just a really... nice experience.

Best way to describe it would be a pretty cute interactive anime movie with a card game element that occasionally breaks the flow. There are only a few mandatory card battles in the main story though which will make people dreading them happy.

Play time was just over three hours for the main story. I didn't rush, but I had to repeat a bunch of the battles a few times. That spell the kids put on you after losing really needed to be skippable.

Celine

Regarding price, the dollars to hours argument has never sat well with me. This is the mentality that encourages developers to put a bunch of fluff in games just to artificially pad the length. A shorter game that's filled with great moment after great moment is worth the same or more to me than a longer game with a bunch of monotonous filler between the inspired gameplay.
Yep,
I pay for an experience that can enrich me, not based on the time I waste on it.

Seems the answer entirely depend on you.

Top Bottom