• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think the real issue is whether you get new stuff or not, its that there really isn't any compelling content in which that new stuff can be utilized fully. There really is a shockingly low amount of areas for level 80 play in the game currently which I can only assume will eventually end up being all of the landmass on the map that you can't go to right now.

WvW really didn't end up working well because the objective to it was placed on the wrong things. The reason realm vs realm worked so well in DAoC was that aside from having all of the stuff WvW has it also had a permanent character based progression in realm points instead of everything being wiped on a normal basis. On top of that the main form of pvp in the realm vs realm zones was organized 8v8 battles and zerg busting with said organized 8 man groups.

The dungeons in the game just really don't work without some kind of individual role for each person to perform to the benefit of the rest of the group. It just ended up feeling like a bunch of people soloing the same monsters.

Exploring areas and doing dynamic events is cool but I can't help but feel like there needs to be something more to it then that in order for me personally at least.

To be fair though there is a good base for them to build on and given proper support they can fix these issues at the very least.

Loginius

I can't understand what people mean when they say they can't see character progression. You constantly get new gear, find new areas and obtain new traits. Most classes have a lot of weapon combinations and abilities to use so you'd be constantly getting better at "playing".
The fact that you will "almost" never just oneshot enemys no mater where you go at whatever lvl.

Also that youre not getting a new skill every new level and your gear capps at lvl80 exotics.

(I played a light class and had very different looking gear every 5-10lvl which is the same/more than any other MMO I played)

While I do understand what Anet wanted to achieve with the skill system I also get why some people would like to see more change in their skills.

I think a system that would force you to unlock better (flashier!) versions of each weapon skill every 10lvls would give you the feeling of becoming more powerfull while not interrupting gameplay.
Then again it kinda would be nothing more than animation and effect work that nobody sees after a certain lvl and in such a big budget project you have to cut down on costs wherever you can.

Games like Aion (and Tera) where the skill stays the same but you have to conatanly go to a trainer and learn the next version of it that does 100dmg more can go to hell, I dont understand what the purpose of that system is.

etiolate

Banned
You don't have all your skills at 30, you just have the elite skillslot unlocked. There are utilities and elites that you will want to get later on. As a Mesmer, I need portal skill, even if its not useful for basic PVE. Portal is a third tier skill and will take 26 skill points to get access to. The elites are an even bigger investment.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Have you seen the human heavy armor progression? You look the same until 35 when the rare Barbarian looking sets are open, and that's assuming that piece of armor reward has the stats you want. If not, you'll probably get stuck with something similar looking to what you had 15 levels ago.

You didn't check the Heart Karma vendors that open up after literally every new heart quest then, I presume? Crafted armor? Cultural armor? Random drops?

Also, I can't remember an MMO where armor looked even near awesome until you hit high levels. This game went up to level 80 at launch, I think 35 isn't too high a level to ask for in this case.

And at last, I'm pretty sure leng jai was talking mostly about stats, not looks.

Sethos

Banned
I can't understand what people mean when they say they can't see character progression. You constantly get new gear, find new areas and obtain new traits. Most classes have a lot of weapon combinations and abilities to use so you'd be constantly getting better at "playing".

New gear? What game are you playing. You look the same for about 70 levels, sometimes broken up by a new hat / helmet or whatever. You look like a level 1 all through the game almost. It's especially bad for mail wearing classes - They have like 3 sets available to them through most of the game, then there's the crazy expensive cultural armour that only loons buy. As for finding new areas ... Is that a Guild Wars 2 exclusive? That's in every single MMO ... No wait, every single game ever. Pretty basic stuff to expect new areas as you progress wouldn't you say? Traits is a talent system, something most if not every MMO has, it gives you tiny boosts in some areas and gives you the ability to make a build: Do you genuinely feel that's something that makes you want to sit for hours and level for? I certainly don't.

Whenever people speak for the game, they mention completely basic mechanics that you find in normal games and in pretty much every MMO. As for the 'exploration', why would you want to exploit this dreary, drab world with that pathetic view distance? It just isn't an excuse or a reason to progress your character. There is simply no incentive to level in this game whatsoever.

Whenever people speak for the game, they mention completely basic mechanics that you find in normal games and in pretty much every MMO. As for the 'exploration', why would you want to exploit this dreary, drab world with that pathetic view distance? It just isn't an excuse or a reason to progress your character. There is simply no incentive to level in this game whatsoever.

Really? I think the artstyle is one of its strongpoints. The Charr city is amazing IMO, better than a vast majority of MMO cities I've seen through the past decade (granted I have only played a handful). I can't wait to see it in its full glory once I build my new PC.

I think the biggest problem that this MMO has that every other MMO has is that it hasn't 'clicked' with people. WoW didn't 'click' for me until I was almost 50 honestly (started at launch). I enjoyed it but it wasn't until I got a consistent group of people that it 'clicked'. After that almost every expansion was 70% game, 30% get to play with the people I was playing with. With this game it wasn't until BWE2 and then 3 that I really started feeling the flow and getting into it.

I think the mysticism and sense of exploration is gone because most of us understand the mechanics but the game is still enjoyable for me ... granted, I haven't been able to play for about 2.5 weeks sadly.

It's kind of like when you played Zelda for the first time, you're like "holy shit, I found a bow!" and then by the second or third one you play you're more "holy shit, I need to find that bow because I probably need it to shoot that shit over there!"

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
GW2 a dreary (lifeless, depressing), drab (missing brightnes and colour) world. Now I've heard it all.

However, I must say Exotic armorsmthing heavy armor is quite unique. Still don't like it though ;P.

Draconic
ihb81AqJeMoGV.jpg

ibx2YBUTvRQ0TG.jpg

iltKL4rlnj8DX.jpg

leng jai

New gear? What game are you playing. You look the same for about 70 levels, sometimes broken up by a new hat / helmet or whatever. You look like a level 1 all through the game almost. It's especially bad for mail wearing classes - They have like 3 sets available to them through most of the game, then there's the crazy expensive cultural armour that only loons buy. As for finding new areas ... Is that a Guild Wars 2 exclusive? That's in every single MMO ... No wait, every single game ever. Pretty basic stuff to expect new areas as you progress wouldn't you say? Traits is a talent system, something most if not every MMO has, it gives you tiny boosts in some areas and gives you the ability to make a build: Do you genuinely feel that's something that makes you want to sit for hours and level for? I certainly don't.

Hyperbole at its finest in this post. You don't look the same for 70 levels. I've looked different every 10 levels or so as a Mesmer. You're saying Guild Wars 2 doesn't have "exclusive" features that make it feel like you're progressing but are you saying the same for other games which also probably only have the same equivalent "progression"? The view distance is shit but to say the world is dreary and drab is rubbish.

Sethos

Banned
Really? I think the artstyle is one of its strongpoints. The Charr city is amazing IMO, better than a vast majority of MMO cities I've seen through the past decade (granted I have only played a handful). I can't wait to see it in its full glory once I build my new PC.

I think the biggest problem that this MMO has that every other MMO has is that it hasn't 'clicked'. WoW didn't 'click' for me until I was almost 50 honestly (started at launch). I enjoyed it but it wasn't until I got a consistent group of people that it 'clicked'. After that almost every expansion was 70% game, 30% get to play with the people I was playing with.

I think the mysticism and sense of exploration is gone because most of us understand the mechanics but the game is still enjoyable for me ... granted, I haven't been able to play for about 2.5 weeks sadly.

It's kind of like when you played Zelda for the first time, you're like "holy shit, I found a bow!" and then by the second or third one you play you're more "holy shit, I need to find that bow because I probably need it to shoot that shit over there!"

Yes, I really find the world and their style extremely depressive. An example, albeit a poor one is the High-Res thread - Every time someone posts a screenshot of that game, despite being an awesome shot that you probably rarely see in this game, people tend to go "Guild Wars 2 doesn't look that good ..." Because their style execution is quite horrible and it's on the edge of 'realistic' graphics which it fails to pull off even more with terrible textures, no atmosphere whatsoever and the view distance fog all around you.

I respect someone find this game good looking but I just can't see it. I appreciate a well-crafted world and a good attention to style and atmosphere but none of that is present in this game, nothing. I truly feel depressed when I played this game, because the world was so gloomy and boring.

As for 'clicking' I'd say this game works inversely of that. It 'clicked' at first but as you progress is slowly starts to 'unclick' so to speak. You slowly see the bpromg world, the lacking music, the lack of level incentive, the boring instances, the poorly executed gameplay features and then it just goes poof and the game just takes a nosedive.

And even if you believe the other way around is true, after 60 levels and the game still hasn't clicked ... Then it's certainly not the player's fault.

But hey, I didn't want to trample on opinions but just reply to people's take on mine. The game is different and if people love that: great! However I just feel people use some "pros" arguments in this game that are bare minimum expectancy out of a game like that ... And even in those departments in falls short.

Hyperbole at its finest in this post.

Start a mail wearing class and you'll see. The first 60 levels I had 2 looks, one up to level 40 when the TP opened and a new one after scouring TP for new looks but every single set had the same look sans one of the crazy expensive yellows.

Yeah, I can see that. If you don't 'feel' it after 60 levels I'd probably not continue either. For me personally I haven't hit that yet, and who knows, I might.

But I've played more games than I'd care to admit and I just don't get how you can find the world drab and dreary. I know it's just opinion so I really don't need to understand it, it just seemed like an odd complaint. I found most of the rest of your post valid as the sense of gameplay will be different for everybody.

I really hope it doesn't 'unclick' for me lol, but I plan on playing it a lot slower than most I think. I'll be surprised if I hit 80 in the next few months.

As for the gear thing, I honestly haven't played enough to really see that fatigue set in. I will say WoW pre-expansions (vanilla) had some of the absolute worst gear matchings ever. I felt like a walking rainbow! But as a Warrior I always had to min/max tanking gear and look weird.

Loginius

I kinda agreed with your last big post but this one not so much.

You will just have to accept that many people play a game because it is fun and not because there is a lvl up or new loot around the corner.

You could say exploration is a big part of what makes (or should make) this game interessting while leveling (and beyond if it would work like I hoped/discribed) its the formula that makes the Elder Scrolls games so popular even without having balanced/ very good combat etc.
The real problem (imo) is that the developers threw in way too much stuff to carter to people that think like you so that in the end neither you nor I will get what we truly wanted.
(but a lot of people really enjoy the middle ground provided by this game)

As for different looking gear, you are just wrong, do some crafting/Karma vendors and tell me you wont get a complettely new set every ~5-10lvls.
That said the most work was clearly put into lvl80 sets, which is completely understandable since this is the gear most people will spend the most time wearing.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm sort of enjoying my break from GW2 with BL2. I'm excited to boot GW2 up again sometime soon, but after plowing all those hours in early on, I got a LITTLE burned. :|

Ken

You didn't check the Heart Karma vendors that open up after literally every new heart quest then, I presume? Crafted armor? Cultural armor? Random drops?

I was going off random drops because I didn't want to spend karma on set of gear I would out level in an hour, and cultural armor is too expensive for a first character. Crafted just ends up being the same chainmail looking stuff until 35+ where you get to wear a bikini top and funny fur pauldrons.

It also doesn't help that you have to visit multiple karma vendors to assemble a "set" so by the time I get to the karma vendor with the final piece, I'll have forgotten about it already.

Ex. On my guardian I saw a karma vendor with a nice skirt in the Iron Marches. I was pretty tired of my chainmail armor for the past 50ish levels and wanted to change. Of course, all I could preview was the skirt and had no idea where the rest of the pieces were so I never ended up collecting those pieces.

Also, I can't remember an MMO where armor looked even near awesome until you hit high levels. This game went up to level 80 at launch, I think 35 isn't too high a level to ask for in this case.

And that makes it okay for GW2? Also, 35 isn't too high to look different but that only applies if you're a decently leveled Armorsmith or have the gold to purchase a set off the TP, both probably a bit difficult for a first character and new player.

Anyways, don't really want to argue about aesthetics of armor in the game anymore since it's kind of trivial; those were my experiences leveling both of the soldier professions to 80 and that's how the game will remain to me.

Sethos

Banned
But I've played more games than I'd care to admit and I just don't get how you can find the world drab and dreary. I know it's just opinion so I really don't need to understand it, it just seemed like an odd complaint. I found most of the rest of your post valid as the sense of gameplay will be different for everybody.

Maybe it all hinges on the abysmal engine but when I look at something in this game, I don't ever get that "Oh nice" or "Whoa this view". The water looks fantastic but that's about it. I don't feel their style is very appealing and the engine doesn't help one bit, especially the low view distance kills it completely as you won't ever get those 'breathtaking' views. However I still feel the world they built doesn't do anything for me, none whatsoever. Each area is so monotone and forgettable and I'm even struggling to remember areas as some of them are so identical and without any unique features they just flow together.

etiolate

Banned
Cultural armor is way too expensive. They have everything costing on the very high end right now. I hope they're putting at such extreme levels to put it sort of out of reach until they feel they have a better feel for the overall economy and the average rate people acquire karma/gold.

The other bit is that they're cracking down on farming, but the further out of reach those sort of items are, the more you encourage farming habits. The populace is generally dirt poor right now. The idiots selling things at a copper over vendor price on the TP aren't helping.

Levyne

Banned
I agree with most of the content of Sethos criticisms, just not the...magnitude? I guess? Wish there were more non "elite" armor sets. Wish there was a few more things to do post-story/80. Wish WvW queues weren't so terrible. Wish there was more variety in music. Still having a very fun time.

Loginius

Maybe it all hinges on the abysmal engine but when I look at something in this game, I don't ever get that "Oh nice" or "Whoa this view". The water looks fantastic but that's about it. I don't feel their style is very appealing and the engine doesn't help one bit, especially the low view distance kills it completely as you won't ever get those 'breathtaking' views. However I still feel the world they built doesn't do anything for me, none whatsoever. Each area is so monotone and forgettable and I'm even struggling to remember areas as some of them are so identical and without any unique features they just flow together.

This I agree with but would like to add what I think as a artist:
The world is georgous but ruined by tech (view distance and blue "fog") and that goddamn awefull camera which kinda forces you to watch the ground at all times because it is exactly centered around your character.
This combined with the heart quests that kinda make you set a waypoint on the map which you then run to while staring at the bottom right minimap assure that you wont see anything of the underlying beauty if you do not desperately look for it...

I certainly wouldn't call the world in GW2 drab or dreary, I truly liked the areas that I did. My issue with the world design was that it kind of ended up with a samey kind of feeling. I think my progression through zones while leveling was like forest, forest, forest, forest, plains, plains, shore, canyon, canyon, snow, snow or something along those lines. I think there could have been a little more work done to make the zones using very similar assets feel a bit more distinguished from each other.

I loved the areas but I felt like there was no sense of progression like I normally get from games. The areas started off great and stayed great but I kept going to the next zone thinking about what kind of crazy new area it was going to be and just getting more of the same, albeit great area design.

leng jai

This I agree with but would like to add what I think as a artist:
The world is georgous but ruined by tech (view distance and blue "fog") and that goddamn awefull camera which kinda forces you to watch the ground at all times because it is exactly centered around your character.
This combined with the heart quests that kinda make you set a waypoint on the map which you then run to while staring at the bottom right minimap assure that you wont see anything of the underlying beauty if you do not desperately look for it...

Seriously if there was something to complain vociferously about in this game it's the camera. Good lord is it shit in tight spaces.

I just come to realize there is exactly no incentive to level your character, no urge to build up my character like most MMOs. Despite trying something new, after the first 30 levels the events / vista / poi thing gets repetitive and stale as hell, really not enjoying it. Then you get past level 50 and the QA stopped there, after level 50 there's areas you can't even complete due to showstopper bugs in the events and others you basically need to do the same task over and over, because the other tasks that's also part of the event doesn't work. There's no awesomeness at level 80 really, it feels like at level 1 you can experience just as much which is probably a 'good thing' for some but as I said, it gives you no incentive to level. It makes me ask the question: Why is there even levels in this game? Someone in this thread mentioned Elite Skills when I brought this up ... Those boring ass skills are about the last thing I'd care about.

I think that is an issue. I enjoy the game but their is not ton of incentive for me to continue. The game when you start it is very good because it does things very differently, it feels refreshing. The freedom of going at it how you want is also great. But once you put in 20 hours or so into it, you kinda get to the point where, it's all just the same thing over and over.... it's basically what folks deal with with most MMOs. Even at higher levels your doing just more variations of kill and retrieval quests. Games like TSW and TOR had same issues wiht boring content, though for some people had some incentive just because of the storyline stuff in those games was strong, while the story stuff in GW2 just is.... pretty bad.

Others MMOs with sub and the gear progression I think also create a kind of pressure on people to play as it also seems so many unhappy people play those games almost like they have to because they paid their sub, and they got to get the top lootz.

I think they need more incentives for higher level players than whats in the game for sure, as really there doesn't seem to be a major point for it other than getting to the higher level areas. The idea was that playing the actual game is satisfaction enough, but the content just isn't that interesting to warrant a 100+ hour investment on the PvE side. PvP is the most dynamic aspect especially if you play with a guild though that currently has issues as it's difficult to organize and get large groups into the same battleground for any type of event. Our guild has been doing WvWvW content runs but it can be pain to get organized the way they set it up, and then having to pay 100g to be able to allow ONE player the ability to create a raid group? :-\

etiolate

Banned
They need a cheaper, more accessible way to make like 10 man teams for WvWvW. Not giant squads like a commander, but a good 10 man guild strikeforce.

They need a cheaper, more accessible way to make like 10 man teams for WvWvW. Not giant squads like a commander, but a good 10 man guild strikeforce.

Or should be a guild incentive they can earn with influence, that any officer in a guild can form larger groups for events. Right now it's a pain to pay the fee for commander since it only applies to that one character, so if that officer is not available, your guild can't form a raid group? Guilds should at least be able to earn the ability in some form so they can organize things, instead of having to buy tons of guild mates the ability for 100g each. Officers are also not always available for any type of big event.

Lyng

New gear? What game are you playing. You look the same for about 70 levels, sometimes broken up by a new hat / helmet or whatever. You look like a level 1 all through the game almost.

I can only comment from a crafters perspective. But if you are a armor crafter you will have lots of different sets and looks throughout the game.

etiolate

Banned
Or should be a guild incentive they can earn with influence, that any officer in a guild can form larger groups for events. Right now it's a pain to pay the fee for commander since it only applies to that one character, so if that officer is not available, your guild can't form a raid group? Guilds should at least be able to earn the ability in some form so they can organize things, instead of having to buy tons of guild mates the ability for 100g each. Officers are also not always available for any type of big event.

That could work, too. I just think they need an option to help better organize pugs as well.

Mikor

I agree with most of the content of Sethos criticisms, just not the...magnitude? I guess? Wish there were more non "elite" armor sets. Wish there was a few more things to do post-story/80. Wish WvW queues weren't so terrible. Wish there was more variety in music. Still having a very fun time.

Not to make excuses for it, but the game DOES have custom soundtrack support.

Courtesy of Jim Boer, Arenanet -

• Go to you documents folder -> Guild Wars 2 -> Music.
  • Create a playlist using your favorite media player. (Mikor suggests VLC)
  • The music files have to be in a format that FMOD supports by default: .mp3, .ogg, .flac, .wav, .aiff, .mid, .it etc.
  • The playlist formats that are supported are: .wpl, .m3u, .pls, .asx, and .wax
  • To play your playlists you have to give it a specific name. The playlist names that are currently recognized by the game are:
    Ambient
    Battle
    Underwater
    City
    MainMenu
    NightTime
    Crafting
    BossBattle​

Sethos

Banned
Not to make excuses for it, but the game DOES have custom soundtrack support.

Courtesy of Jim Boer, Arenanet -

• Go to you documents folder -> Guild Wars 2 -> Music.
  • Create a playlist using your favorite media player. (Mikor suggests VLC)
  • The music files have to be in a format that FMOD supports by default: .mp3, .ogg, .flac, .wav, .aiff, .mid, .it etc.
  • The playlist formats that are supported are: .wpl, .m3u, .pls, .asx, and .wax
  • To play your playlists you have to give it a specific name. The playlist names that are currently recognized by the game are:
    Ambient
    Battle
    Underwater
    City
    MainMenu
    NightTime
    Crafting
    BossBattle​

I can have the soothing tones of my favourite rock band playing over an area ... That seems even worse.

Sethos

Banned
Sounds like a poor choice in music on your part, really.

or you excusing the developers shoddy work by making people spend a lot of time fixing their shortcomings, by adding ... real, actual pop music or whatever to an MMO? Talk about good atmosphere.

Audioboxer

Yeah, that was also my first guess.

On that note, anyone else reached a sheer cliff drop when it comes to this game? It started out so well, had my WoW fatigue and was desperately looking for an alternative - Game wasn't even on my radar so hype was at an all-time low. I buy the game and I'm actually enjoying myself and find certain aspects very attractive but all of a sudden, like lightning from a clear sky I find the game utterly boring and depressive.

I just come to realize there is exactly no incentive to level your character, no urge to build up my character like most MMOs. Despite trying something new, after the first 30 levels the events / vista / poi thing gets repetitive and stale as hell, really not enjoying it. Then you get past level 50 and the QA stopped there, after level 50 there's areas you can't even complete due to showstopper bugs in the events and others you basically need to do the same task over and over, because the other tasks that's also part of the event doesn't work. There's no awesomeness at level 80 really, it feels like at level 1 you can experience just as much which is probably a 'good thing' for some but as I said, it gives you no incentive to level. It makes me ask the question: Why is there even levels in this game? Someone in this thread mentioned Elite Skills when I brought this up ... Those boring ass skills are about the last thing I'd care about.

Story mode everyone praises and the only positive thing I can find is the huge amount of XP. The stories are downright bad ( but since it's in an MMO, it is the major hotness. ) and the actual gameplay in these events are mediocre at best with a very few select events that actually sneak past passable.

WvWvW seemed brilliant on paper, getting that XP and enjoying some PvP fighting but man, the execution is horrible. Queue times are through the roof, when you finally get in you'll experience the most unfocused combat and zerg tug of wars. It's just so undefined, they sprinkle some 'PvE' type events in there and when playing alone as a lot of people are likely to do, you're just running around in what seems ages without seeing any action. "Oh there's action at the bottom of the map! - Oh shit, can't spawn anywhere close" and then starts your massive ass journey, pack a lunch.

sPvP is definitely more focused and has its moments but it's about earth to the sun distance of being able to carry the game and provide that fatigue break. Plus with no XP incentive and running around looking like a dildo in that gear, it's just not attractive.

The gear variety is so pathetic, mail users especially get hit with the crapbat - All the stuff, gear looks downright stupid or like level 1 gear, you never really look 'cool'. You aren't progressing either like other MMOs, like starting out looking like a hobo, getting more gear that will make you look like a fashion case gone wrong and then progressing on to decent looking sets. If you want a decent looking set you can buy cultural gear usually and waste all your heard earned money. Even at high level, some of the gear just posted in this thread makes me cringe ... Yet people find it awesome? I have seen 3 ... 3!! sets of armour in this game that I would classify as 'good looking' and they are all at the very end-game and requires a lot of effort ( i.e grinding ).

I hate the level scaling. Again, the "no incentive to level". While I can see why some people like it, I fucking hate it. You never feel like you're progressing. You never feel like you just get more and more powerful - You just feel like a pleb all through the game. I can see the pros for this, I really can but I just don't enjoy it. Even in a level appropriate area, you hit a wall in no time because mobs a level or two higher will start to give you trouble ... Then you need to visit lower areas to get your ass with you.

I liked the 5 skills, weapon switching at first but it gets boring in record time which isn't helped by the pretty stale combat of the game. Dodging is great, I like that but everything else is pretty bad. Fighting mobs just doesn't feel fun, feels annoying and at some point past level 40, everything starts to knock you down, chain you, make you limp and those effects just last way too long.

The game engine and control feel. You constantly feel like you're walking around in molasses and everything is very sluggish - Compared to certain other MMOs it's quite an atrocity. I also find the game depressing as hell - Those tiny view distances and generic scenery that looks to be made by coal miners who's never seen the light of day and someone described it over the phone. But the view distances are the killer, you feel like you're walking around in a small box and never get an impressive view. Game is so dreary and depressive to look at.

Oh and a last shout to the music of the game, it has some great tracks but they can be counted on one hand and most of it just blends into the game in an uninteresting and boring way, you never really notice it. Music is such an important part of a game, especially an MMO I feel and the key is to distinguish areas with a piece of great music but ... same shit plays over and over, some of it just goes unnoticed and a few select cities has some decent music.

Honestly the game has left the same taste in my mouth as Warhammer Online, I actually found that game more fun which says a lot.

Rant over ( Expecting a backlash and no one agreeing ).

You should write professional reviews!

All I can say is so far GW2 hasn't replicated any of the magic moments of WoW I had (especially when levelling).

It made me incredibly indecisive, and oh god, the armour variety, the armour variety is fucking terrible.

Dye system is cool, but seriously they need more variety. They went on a mission to try and rid of 'everything' in a stereotypical MMO, but they've taken TOO much away. Not all the grind of WoW for example needs cleansed, some of it is rewarding.

datamage

I can have the soothing tones of my favourite rock band playing over an area ... That seems even worse.

So the game gives you the ability of choosing your own music and even that you want to bitch about. It's clear that the game isn't for you and perhaps you should move along. People feel this need to rant and attempt to prove their point as if it mattered. The people that are enjoying the game will continue to do so. If you don't like it, guess what, play something else. You didn't sign a contract.

Sethos

Banned
So the game gives you the ability of choosing your own music and even that you want to bitch about. It's clear that the game isn't for you and perhaps you should move along. People feel this need to rant and attempt to prove their point as if it mattered. The people that are enjoying the game will continue to do so. If you don't like it, guess what, play something else. You didn't sign a contract.

Are you fucking shitting me? Ability to choose my own music? We call that tabbing out and picking my music. Let's not get carried away in the circle jerking. This isn't a console game, we are on a PC. However most MMOs are also RPGs, meaning they are about immersion into the world and the character - How the fuck can you do that with your own music on top? How horrible that you expect developers to actually put some time and effort in a great diverse soundtrack that you notice, that you enjoy and compliments the areas or zones to further add to the immersion. It sounds like the blew the entire soundtrack budget on the main theme, which is excellent and everything else is just ... bleh.

Mikor

or you excusing the developers shoddy work by making people spend a lot of time fixing their shortcomings, by adding ... real, actual pop music or whatever to an MMO? Talk about good atmosphere.

Except I stated in my original post that I am not making excuses for the developer. Reading is fundamental!

Sethos

Banned
Except I stated in my original post that I am not making excuses for the developer. Reading is fundamental!

And when I say I never drink beer then proceed to drink a pint of beer, then there's no conflicting messages.

Sethos. Walk away. Take a breather. Treat yourself to a day at the spa.

I'm not riled up, this is my usual abrasive argument tone. I'm relaxed as a daffodil - If I relax any more I'll shit my pants.

Mikor

And when I say I never drink beer then proceed to drink a pint of beer, then there's no conflicting messages.

I think you should probably take Lyphen's advice and step away from the keyboard and relax. You're very quick to jump on shitting on other people's opinions of what, at the end of the day, is an entertainment product. If we're entertained and happy with what we've spent our money on, that shouldn't act as a motivator to you to take up the anti-cause. You claim to be pointing out flaws and issues that make the game not worthwhile - and yet, clearly, in spite of said flaws and issues, there's many people who are enjoying their time with the title.

datamage

Are you fucking shitting me? Ability to choose my own music? We call that tabbing out and picking my music. Let's not get carried away in the circle jerking. This isn't a console game, we are on a PC. However most MMOs are also RPGs, meaning they are about immersion into the world and the character - How the fuck can you do that with your own music on top? How horrible that you expect developers to actually put some time and effort in a great diverse soundtrack that you notice, that you enjoy and compliments the areas or zones to further add to the immersion. It sounds like the blew the entire soundtrack budget on the main theme, which is excellent and everything else is just ... bleh.

I personally don't have a problem with the music in the game and don't care about having custom music. However, you're the one complaining about it, you're given an option and your first complaint is how great it would be to play your rock music over the game.

Your first train of thought is how the music would be replaced with pop music. Sounds like a limitation on your end, and not the game's fault. Why not music from Oblivion, Skyrim, WoW, etc. ? Alt-tabbing and loading up an mp3 is not the same as it will not change based on where you are or what's happening in the game.

Like I said, you don't like the game, you can move on. It doesn't really matter. Constantly debating against people on here who are enjoying the game is just a waste of time and energy. (This isn't directed only at you, but for the few people in here who continue to do so.)

Sethos

Banned
I personally don't have a problem with the music in the game and don't care about having custom music. However, you're the one complaining about it, you're given an option and your first complaint is how great it would be to play your rock music over the game.

Your first train of thought is how the music would be replaced with pop music. Sounds like a limitation on your end, and not the game's fault. Why not music from Oblivion, Skyrim, WoW, etc. ? Alt-tabbing and loading up an mp3 is not the same as it will not change based on where you are or what's happening in the game.

Like I said, you don't like the game, you can move on. It doesn't really matter. Constantly debating against people on here who are enjoying the game is just a waste of time and energy. (This isn't directed only at you, but for the few people in here who continue to do so.)

But it's not an option, it isn't even related. Game music isn't about just dropping something into a folder and go "Hey it sounds nice". Music actually have to compliment the zone, the area or the actions and that's really important in an MMO I feel, due to their zoning nature. So the 'option' is spending 10+ hours on finding music for each of those categories to fit the game? Yeah, great option - Instead of having the developers actually create something good.

Having my favourite music run over an area isn't immersive whatsoever, having a myriad of my tracks constantly change and pop up whenever I move sounds crazy annoying.

So I basically have to do the sound guys job and spend hours and hours finding complementing music or I'll just end up in the same situation. Yes, game DIY - The new thing!

And in the next big game, complain about the graphics? Oh they can just provide the source code and I'll just whip up some new looks, perhaps improve on the engine. Game DIY!

Really? Now you are complaining about an optional feature.

Careful, you tell him you can have first and last names and he'll probably say "Oh great, now Shitty McShitPants are going to be everywhere!"

But it's not an option, it isn't even related. Game music isn't about just dropping something into a folder and go "Hey it sounds nice". Music actually have to compliment the zone, the area or the actions and that's really important in an MMO I feel, due to their zoning nature. So the 'option' is spending 10+ hours on finding music for each of those categories to fit the game? Yeah, great option - Instead of having the developers actually create something good.

Having my favourite music run over an area isn't immersive whatsoever, having a myriad of my tracks constantly change and pop up whenever I move sounds crazy annoying.

So I basically have to do the sound guys job and spend hours and hours finding complementing music or I'll just end up in the same situation. Yes, game DIY - The new thing!

Dude, just stop man. Honestly. You had some fair points earlier on but now you're just coming off as crazy. It's like EVERY SINGLE aspect of the game you hate. Art, options, gameplay, visual fidelity, gear, progression, leveling ... I don't think there is a single thing you like about the game except bitching about it to others who actually enjoy it.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

I love how people ITT are ignoring the fact that this point regarding the music you made is completely fair and jumping into the ad hominem wagon.

Never change, MMO OT crew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom