• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiokazu

Hawkian has a tag, he has ascended

tumblr_lizy8kqCEd1qblj9eo1_r1_500.gif

hes a hawk, he ascends every single day.

:p

Hawkian has a tag, he has ascended

tumblr_lizy8kqCEd1qblj9eo1_r1_500.gif

I've actually been watching SG-1 from the beginning with my wife. I'm pretty sure we're getting close to this scene. Did not expect to see it referenced in a GW2 thread, of all places.

Awesome :) I'm leaning toward this Monday (10/27), if that works for you?

Monday should work fine, I just should probably set an alarm so I don't get too caught up in Beyond Earth and forget.

Levyne

Banned
Congrats on the tag, hawk

Now Ash is the only leader without one

we should replace him with, uh

*scrolls up last page*

Kanik, with Kanik

Scales down the UI too, though, right? That's a shame. I already use large icons/text since I game on a TV, so I'll continue to wait impatiently for a certain 1440p monitor to get in stock.

Levyne

Banned
Yep, I'm trying out DSR right now. I'm finding that 2560-1600 (16:10 monitor) is a good compromise for me (GTX 780) for performance and can-I-see-the-damn-ui.

I also get the weird warp on the edges. I tried changing down the smoothness setting but the warping doesn't seem affected by that. Aside, I recommend keeping the setting at 33% based on my limited testing, I trie it down at 16% and saw a lot more...shimmering (?) in the sand ridges outside of the Nolani instance area.

Yeah, the 33% smoothness helps the scaling stay much clearer. That's why I prefer using DSR over setting custom resolutions and doing the scaling that way.

But for real though, ArenaNet, please include more UI scaling options. Pretty please. The majority of my Steam library has no problems displaying at 4k resolution and keeping the UI/HUD scaled to the same area on-screen as 1080p. Poor GW2 needs a magnifying glass to see on higher resolutions.

Retro

Opened 250 Trick or Treat bags. More than enough Candy Corn from last night's Labyrinth run (we didn't really have a zerg, maybe a party and a half, and we just skipped the Lich) and the bags to grab one of the cat minis, and all of the teeth / nougats were enough to pick up the Bloody Prince and Carlatta minis from last year that I'd never picked up.

On my second to last bag, I got an extra cat mini, straight from the bag. Since I was drowning in Candy Corn, I just bought a second one for cobs and saved the spare for Mrs. Retor. I also scooped up a full stack of the Batwing tonics, which is more than I'll ever need. Very cool effect, I just wish I enjoyed my Necromancer enough to use them appropriately.

On that note, I think I figured out why I don't care for Necro. Every other profession, even Elementalist and Engineer, have melee options and skills that allow for a great deal of movement. Necro has a dagger auto attack, and other than Dark Path (which feels so. damn. slow.) and Spectral Walk they really don't have any movement-oriented skills. I usually don't take with Caster classes because of the 'stand back and nuke' play style, but Ele and Mesmer (especially mesmer) are so damn diverse that it didn't bother me. The end result, at least for me, is that I have a shitload of similar-looking green buttons with similar-sounding names that all do about the same thing; mid-to-long range damage, lots of conditions, lots of target AOEs (Necro Staff is especially off-putting). Don't get me wrong, it's not that that playstyle can't be enjoyable, it's just... not for me.

Maybe when they hand out new weapon pairings Necro can get a more melee option. Greatsword would be especially cool. Give them some movement-related skills, something like a sword rush where smoky black wings form around you that you can cancel to have the wings sweep down to form a shield that inflicts conditions on anything that hits you.... yeah... gimmie some of that.

Congrats on the tag, hawk

Now Ash is the only leader without one.

The link in mine is dead, it used to link to a thread about crazy Tea Partier signs ("Get a brain, Morans!"-type stuff) in which I paraphrased the Jefferson quote about the Tree of Liberty. I could never tell if the mod who gave it to me thought it was funny or was being nasty, the context of my post could have gone either way. /shrug.

Necro has a dagger auto attack, and other than Dark Path (which feels so. damn. slow.) and Spectral Walk they really don't have any movement-oriented skills. I usually don't take with Caster classes because of the 'stand back and nuke' play style, but Ele and Mesmer (especially mesmer) are so damn diverse that it didn't bother me. The end result, at least for me, is that I have a shitload of similar-looking green buttons with similar-sounding names that all do about the same thing; mid-to-long range damage, lots of conditions, lots of target AOEs (Necro Staff is especially off-putting). Don't get me wrong, it's not that that playstyle can't be enjoyable, it's just... not for me.

Locust Swarm, yo

Yeah, necro is pretty much territory control.

DSR looks very nice.

1080p native vs. 1080p downscaled from 4k - And the unscaled 4k image just for something huge to look at.

4k is honestly overkill (and not entirely playable with my GTX 770, tiny UI issues aside). I play it at whatever the weird 2x resolution is that DSR adds and still manage 60fps most of the time, and it does more than enough to clean up the image quality.

Katoki

I just hit every key available to me in fights as a necro and watch people get wrecked. The utilities are saved for when they're needed though. Haven't bothered trying the power build in PvE yet but I know for a fact the condition setup I have will be really slow in PvE.

leng jai

Yeah, the 33% smoothness helps the scaling stay much clearer. That's why I prefer using DSR over setting custom resolutions and doing the scaling that way.

But for real though, ArenaNet, please include more UI scaling options. Pretty please. The majority of my Steam library has no problems displaying at 4k resolution and keeping the UI/HUD scaled to the same area on-screen as 1080p. Poor GW2 needs a magnifying glass to see on higher resolutions.

Yeah, I play from about 6 feet on a 42inch plasma and downsampling is unusable in GW2 because of this. The game just needs more UI options in general.

Retro

Locust Swarm, yo

Yeah, necro is pretty much territory control.

I wasn't thinking swiftness so much as stuff like Ride the Lightning, Burning Retreat, Burning Retreat, Magnetic Leap... for a caster class, D/D Ele is surprisingly nimble and twitchy (Ele also has the benefit of conjured weapons which are movement heavy too).

Again, there's nothing wrong with Necro, it's just not a fit for my particular preferences. It sticks out so much because all of the other professions are diverse enough in their skills that they can be sort of adapted to my playstyle whereas Necro cannot (or at least, not in a way that is satisfying to me).

I picture a Necromancer with a Greatsword filling in the "Death Knight" archetype, with the twist being that they're lightly armored.. They already have a ton of HP and survival tricks for close-range encounters.

"In preparation for allowing the instance"

So...still not able to after this patch? Weird wording.

Yeah, maybe they want to get it live and open it up slowly to make sure it can't be exploited.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, still not able to get in, but I guess to "allow access" doesn't require a patch, so they might flip that switch soon or later in the night.

Katoki

I picture a Necromancer with a Greatsword filling in the "Death Knight" archetype, with the twist being that they're lightly armored.. They already have a ton of HP and survival tricks for close-range encounters.

That'd be nice. I'd finally be able to use my sunrise. I go and make it only to play classes now that can't use it. =/

Yesterday right after patch I ran that story a few times, and was unsure why I kept getting 250 mats as rewards.

After about 5 runs, came to the conclusion these mats were mainly worthless unless in bulk and that was the new reward for the year.

I was so wrong, and facepalmed myself for not running it more.

New nVidia Drivers that are out today provide something called "DSR" (Dynamic Super Resolution) if you have a Kepler or Fermi card (GTX 4xx or Above). This means you can get 4k Resolution even if you only have a 1080p Monitor - basically the best Anti-Aliasing you can get, at the cost of fps and making the UI tiny. It's basically GPU-oriented Downsampling without any of the risks or monitor timing nonsense.

1080p GW2 (with additional 8x AA override via nVidia Inspector):
gw2_2k8grgd.jpg

4k GW2 (with additional 8x AA override via nVidia Inspector):
gw2_4khcr8c.jpg

You have a monster card and leave the Render Sampling at Native? or it doesn't matter because of your card is a beast? i know on my old ass card if i super sample game looks fucking awesome..

Levyne

Banned
You have a monster card and leave the Render Sampling at Native? or it doesn't matter because of your card is a beast? i know on my old ass card if i super sample game looks fucking awesome..

I believe the nvidia inspect aa override he uses requires that to be set to native

I wasn't thinking swiftness so much as stuff like Ride the Lightning, Burning Retreat, Burning Retreat, Magnetic Leap... for a caster class, D/D Ele is surprisingly nimble and twitchy (Ele also has the benefit of conjured weapons which are movement heavy too).

That's... the... j...
101.gif

Only conj wep that is heavy on movement is fgs, fwiw.
Well, i guess you could say flame axe too, but i've no idea why anyone would use that thing after leveling.

I just wish they gave the necro some utility. Party-wide chance for might on hit/crit, groupwide power/condi, heck, even a kickass untraited ferocity well would be good enough.

GS skills too, sure, why not.

You wrote burning retreat twice, btw.

Supersampling gives 2x AA, but overriding AA via nVidia Inspector can give you up to 8x AA. You'll want it on Native via in-game settings if you're utilizing that override.

Arcteryx

per kotaku:

ArenaNet has responded with plans to update the Currency Exchange so players can use it as they wish. They offered the following statement:

"It's clear that quite a lot of you would like to have greater flexibility in using the Currency Exchange. Our intention when we designed the new interface was to streamline large volume purchases, which make up the majority of transactions.

In light of your feedback, we will update the Currency Exchange so that you can decide how you want to use it. We will keep the new streamlined system and also offer a new "Custom" button on the panel that you can use to exchange any increment of gems or gold.

We anticipate rolling this out soon. Stay tuned!"
http://kotaku.com/guild-wars-2-players-angry-over-currency-exchange-chang-1649519173

#rekt

Arcteryx

Haven't seen many posts on the new amulet so far, but someone put up a photo of the black/orange ones:

Guild_Wars_2_Jpeg.jpg

Looks interesting, but I'd have to use an exotic accessory :(

5il3nc3r

Good news then. Does GW2 have something like a test server where they push out their update to a small population and get feedback before releasing it?

why kotaku always make it sound like game devs are evil and all that.

i hate kotaku.

Because in this case whoever thought of that change most definitely is an asshat.

Heck, they could've even called her out by her name.

Good news then. Does GW2 have something like a test server where they push out their update to a small population and get feedback before releasing it?

No 5il3nc3r, you are the test servers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom