• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 - Path of Fire |OT| Mount and Shining Blade

Dizzy-4U

It is, but it's obviously the hardest and longest fight of the story so depending on your class/build and skill level your mileage may vary.

Extremely minor spoiler :
You are granted a kit that, if used properly helps immensely.
Neat, I'll probably swap a few berserker items for a little more health just in case.

Vena

The ending is... something. Real good end to the arc.

Major spoilers for the ending for any one who's interested in partaking in discussion:
The gods help you defeat and destroy Balthazar who is, for lack of a better word, just an idiot with extremely dumb intentions (and, unlike in dubious context of "Was Abaddon actually maybe good?", Balthazar is unabashedly stupid and evil). But in doing so, Auerene absorbs his power (as does Kralk it seems) much as Kormir absorbed Abaddon's but this also unleashes/awakens Kralkatorik who either absords and/or corrupts Aurene as the new champion.

Kralk, now seemingly immensely empowered, then takes off and corrupts everything again, heading... north?

So, unlike HoT, this ending is like "Well we fucked up, really badly, thanks Balthazar". No easy ending, no "oh we can just kill Superplantman to kill Mordremoth, no happy ending. And Aurene is now potentially evil, and we know with dragon corruption, there's generally no going backwards. So... uh...
This is just... well fuck.

On the flip side, though, we do see a certain legendary figure from GW1 mentioned:
the hero
but nothing more on it. I still wonder if they'll ever wrap that up in any capacity as in as of so far he/she is just permanently MIA as on of the most powerful things of the lore.

Going forward for the lore:
I don't see how this is going to end without the help of the 5, and probably a few other legendary beings with power. The framing here is that we're now extremely outgunned by Kralk as its basically absorbed and/or in control of all elements of power. Jormag and Primordus are out cold, Mordremoth was absorbed by Aurene but is now part of Kralk?, Balthazar was Primordus power but that also in Kralk/Aurene?, and Zhaitan is probably in Kralk too. So the whole idea of balance that Glint was after is completely fucked and Kralk has consumed basically everything and, on top of that, Kralk shows an element of intelligence... so, uh, ...?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Story hasn't quite hooked me yet but this was always my favorite area in terms of lore and visuals anyway, so I'm still on board and it's at least holding my interest in the plot.

Map design seems great. At first I was put off by the near-total lack of WPs even compared to LW3 maps, but after a few silly deaths I "got" it and love the decision. The ubiquitousness of your mount and the possibility of being rezzed by strangers out in the wildnerness when it can actually matter (it happened, I swear it) is something wonderful that I haven't seen since launch when people were actually just trying to make it to the next waypoint alive.

Summoning and running around on a mount with a gamepad is as fun as I'd hoped.

You rock, Hawk. I was going to ask you about this :D Few questions though:

1. I've put the new exe in compatibility mode for Vista like the old instructions said and have the new xpadder profile selected but it's not working. The controller doesn't appear in xpadder, just an empty window. Is there anything else I need? Is that old script file that made the green box with an H in it still necessary? Didn't try using that.

2. Do you have a new bindings list by any chance?

Thanks for the work you put in! I feel the gamepad link deserves to be in the OP.

Figured out how to get the controller to appear in xpadder and can play with the controller now but there's something wrong with it. When I'm not in pointer mode, kind of comes off as a semi-pointer mode. Stinted movements and there are often times where my character won't move at all unless I release the control stick and then resume. I also notice that select the interaction button makes me do attack 1 so definitely feels like there's a semi pointer mode going on even though I'm not in the pointer mode.

I'm curious to see if Hawkian or anyone else that uses gamepad is experiencing this and if they have an idea how to fix it. Difficult to play at the moment so think I'll sign off for the night and hope for a response on this soon.
Sorry for the delayed response. This is weird but also feels like deja vu and vaguely familiar.

Are you playing on a laptop by any chance?
Oh, speaking of mounts, I'm assuming you're not supposed to dismount every time you do the attack with them? I'm assuming it's another problem with my xpadder setup...
You absolutely are. You can think of the attack as a "dismount into combat" move. It actually feels great IMO. You can even upgrade it with mastery to do an AoE pull.

Here are the bindings btw, nothing has changed but the addition of mounts. Shame I can't edit the post to add it because the thread has closed... I'll have to make a new one: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=182948453&postcount=938

edit: those new binds (X360 pad)
RB + Start: Summon/Dismiss Mount
RB + Back: Toggle Action Cam

Really happy to see a number of you praise the story, that heightens my interest considerably :D I can't wait to see what fan service I'll find from NF when I get a chance to play more. Since I'm a completionist that will want to clear each zone as much as I can before moving on, probably won't be too quick about it haha

Sorry for the delayed response. This is weird but also feels like deja vu and vaguely familiar.

Are you playing on a laptop by any chance?

You absolutely are. You can think of the attack as a "dismount into combat" move. It actually feels great IMO. You can even upgrade it with mastery to do an AoE pull.

Here are the bindings btw, nothing has changed but the addition of mounts. Shame I can't edit the post to add it because the thread has closed... I'll have to make a new one: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=182948453&postcount=938

edit: those new binds (X360 pad)
RB + Start: Summon/Dismiss Mount
RB + Back: Toggle Action Cam
No worries, haven't been able to play since I posted that anyway, just rapped up homework but have to head out of town for the weekend now ;_; I'll give you quality time soon, GW2, I promise!

Nope, this is on my PC. Ok, so you aren't supposed to be able to do a whole fight with the mount, that makes sense. Phew, thought something else was wrong with my scheme haha Thank you so much, I'm going to bookmark your post this time. I'll make sure to consult this and ensure I have the right setup before playing again, really need to figure out what's causing this semi pointer mode that halts my movements!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's odd, the behavior you're describing is similar to a laptop that has the mode enable to prevent you from accidentally moving the mouse with your wrist/hand while typing, so it disables simultaneous keypresses and mouse movement. I'm not sure what else could be causing that. Just to check, do make sure you have all the bindings set in-game, and that you're entering Action Cam mode in-game (should be bound to F9 in-game, either press F9 or RB + Back on pad) right when you start playing.

There is definitely tons of NF fan service. :)

Ashodin

I'm totally newbbq to Elona so it's interesting to see all these areas. However, I haven't had a chance to play since Friday morning, and everything is still fresh to me.

I'm mainly trying to figure out my rotations as a Firebrand with my spec.

So spoilers for the story until the end of Act 1
, but during Sacrifice my human character was trying to plead with Balthazar to stand down, mentioning that she's worshipped him all her life and enjoyed his blessinng.

Is this just human stuff or is this specific to me picking Blessed by Balthazar when I made the character 5 years ago?

Massicot

I do like how Arenanet is getting a little more creative with their quest/collection interaction and design. For instance, one of the Mastery Points involves gathering gear for a "hermit sunspear" and they give you a book of notes to find some of the gear. Some of the items are hidden in chests, or under leaves, and for one of them you have to use the clues to know which NPC to talk to. After collecting the items, the NPC hermit also helps you for one of the open skies collections.

It's just kinda cool to see a slightly higher level of interaction and less pure collection like the coins from way back at Dry Top, etc.

Wallach

Amnoon is a pretty cool looking area, but I wish they'd I wish they'd start getting a bit more serious about controlling their CPU overhead. Even for an MMO it is getting a little egregious.

Started a new Necromancer just to have a human so I can raise the roof for Grenth to the max. Death and decay, woop woop.

Unfortunately it'll probably be a while now before I can dig into Scourge, but it looks promising.

Huh looks like my Revenant had a full set of gear already. Now he is a level 80 who was on the level 10 story Quest. This will be fun.

Story spoilers for Act 2 and theories:
I was so sure that they would cop out and that we would not actually meet the gods(which was kind of half true, we only meet one) but instead just meet their avatars, but holy shit we actually meet Kormir. I like the debuff we get "Blinded by Kormir", and the Sanctuary/Library and the instance before that looked so beautiful. Having said all that, I'm not sure how I feel about the conversation we actually had with Kormir, it definitely left a lot to be desired. I left that instance with a theory bearing in mind that I haven't finished the story yet, so no spoilers for the end please, I think that in the same way that Kormir became the goddess of Truth after Abaddon the god of Secrets was defeated Kasmeer might became of the goddess of Peace after Balthazar the god of War is defeated, Kormir did tell her that she been blessed by all the gods. So yeah that's my theory

Stuart444

So spoilers for the story until the end of Act 1
, but during Sacrifice my human character was trying to plead with Balthazar to stand down, mentioning that she's worshipped him all her life and enjoyed his blessinng.

Is this just human stuff or is this specific to me picking Blessed by Balthazar when I made the character 5 years ago?

I didn't get that and I'm blessed by Dwayna I believe

Indignate

The new maps are big and expansive and beautiful and I don't think I'm ever going to go back to them when I'm done with map completion. Not having at least one meta map kind of brings the whole thing down for me.

LWS3 maps at least have ascended accessories to farm out while PoF maps don't seem to give much of value at all.

Keasar

Damn, I had all forgotten about Palawa Jokos existence in the Crystal Desert area. The last thing I need in Guild Wars 2 are more goddamn obnoxius undead enemies, swear GW2's original story is one of the reasons why I absolutely hate undead in all media now.

Stuart444

So just finished the "Facing the Truth" mission:

All that stuff with Kormir, wow. Lots of GW1 nostalgia, I had a big smile on my face however...

The gods have left but if they can leave, they must be able to come back... but will they?
I really want to see the other Gods now at some point in this story.

Also lol'd at the "Until a Certain Charr" line lol.

MartyStu

The new maps are big and expansive and beautiful and I don't think I'm ever going to go back to them when I'm done with map completion. Not having at least one meta map kind of brings the whole thing down for me.

LWS3 maps at least have ascended accessories to farm out while PoF maps don't seem to give much of value at all.

The meta overload in the new maps was definitely a problem, but the approach here has its own issues.

That said, I will take this over Tangled Depths any day of the week.

Ardvent

I re-downloaded the game with Path of Fire's release, but as a returning player everything is so overwhelming.

I have a bank full of max character boosts, no idea where I am to progress, and have a bunch of out-dated PVP builds equipped.

I haven't played since year one.

That's my only negative so far. I suppose building large, one-time maps isn't inherently a bad thing, but I was really looking forward to seeing what sort of Dragon's Stand or Auric Basin they could manage after two years of further design evolution.

My one hope is that season 4 might be intended to do something like this, either with the expansion maps or dedicated smaller meta maps.

I re-downloaded the game with Path of Fire's release, but as a returning player everything is so overwhelming.

I have a bank full of max character boosts, no idea where I am to progress, and have a bunch of out-dated PVP builds equipped.

I haven't played since year one.
It's a little overwhelming even for an experienced player. Lots of new stuff.

Your character's story journal will tell you where your progression was. It's a tab in the [h]ero panel.

To save some time with inventory business, you might consider making a temporary mule character just to clear out your bank. After a few hours of play you'll probably have a better idea of what you want to keep. Also there's a fair chance much of what you were saving is getting deposited or consumed.

Ashodin

Amnoon is a pretty cool looking area, but I wish they'd I wish they'd start getting a bit more serious about controlling their CPU overhead. Even for an MMO it is getting a little egregious.

Started a new Necromancer just to have a human so I can raise the roof for Grenth to the max. Death and decay, woop woop.

Unfortunately it'll probably be a while now before I can dig into Scourge, but it looks promising.

Is this... is this the start of the Grenthuggalo?

Wanderer5

Likely going to make Warbringer in 2-3 weeks, since I have all of the gifts needed now, and only thing left to do is get the Commander's Wings of War to make the precursor. I am pretty excited of making this.

Goldrush

Yep. I don't blame them since I only upgrades my GPU. Get pretty good framerates everywhere else, but Amnoon push me to single digits regardless of graphics setting. Quite hectic getting the sous chef mastery when everything moves like claymation.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh neat.

If you have the Deluxe edition, you get the Elon pass. You can use that to bring any character to CD without doing the story so as long as you have one character who has already done at least Chapter one of PoF.

Ashodin

Taking my sweet time with the expansion, still on the second story mission, exploring

sees other people with the final mount and talking about end story spoilers

:|

Wanderer5

Taking my sweet time with the expansion, still on the second story mission, exploring

sees other people with the final mount and talking about end story spoilers

:|

Heh yeah I been seeing that mount (or are you referring to the Jackal?). Whatever.

Stuart444

So first mission boss I can really rant about...

Act 3 story stuff, Elona Riverlands after a certain boss (first mission in Act 3)

The Eater of Souls is almost impossible as a Weaver without staff. Staff Fire 4:
Burning Retreat almost seems mandatory for an ele.

On top of that, the break bar disappears too fast so is pretty much useless. The mesmer elite might get it if popped fast enough, most other CC skills won't break it fast enough. (speculation since I only tried a signet of earth and Ice Bow 5)

he heals very quickly if you're near him

He heals (from what I've read) if your pets, minions or illusions are near him.

He also heals off other party members which appear as Spirits meaning it's easier if you're alone or if your other party members have fucked off to the other side of the map.

He really is a bullshit boss and I hope he gets adjusted in some way. Only being able to dodge twice isn't enough either for dodging that heal move at least for me. The endurance bar doesn't fill up quickly enough for you to be able to do it two times each time he uses that heal move.

Hey guys out of curiosity who would you say is the most 'berserker-like' class/spec wise?

By which I mean:

-High self-healing
-Melee-focused
-High mobility
-Very aggressive

I'm running Glint/Dwarf Revenant right now, Sword/Axe focused, but wondering if there's better.

Massicot

The collections for the (minor spoiler)
secret mount
is a lot of work but also pretty rewarding. I was not expecting the outcome.

Pretty big spoilers :
You go back into Kormir's Sanctum, only it's ruined somewhat and full of enemies. You have to fight elites that aren't hard but aren't trivial, and then you go back into another new instance at the Griffon location.

Yes, they are another Mastery.

Hey guys out of curiosity who would you say is the most 'berserker-like' class/spec wise?

By which I mean:

-High self-healing
-Melee-focused
-High mobility
-Very aggressive

I'm running Glint/Dwarf Revenant right now, Sword/Axe focused, but wondering if there's better.

You mean other than Berserker? Probably Power Daredevil.

The collections for the (minor spoiler)
secret mount
is a lot of work but also pretty rewarding. I was not expecting the outcome.

Pretty big spoilers :
You go back into Kormir's Sanctum, only it's ruined somewhat and full of enemies. You have to fight elites that aren't hard but aren't trivial, and then you go back into another new instance at the Griffon location.

Yes, they are another Mastery.

You mean other than Berserker? Probably Power Daredevil.

Berserker isn't very berserker. Same problem BDO had, they associate the wrong traits with it imo.

I mean, a torch, seriously?

Like in BDO I'd consider the Striker a better Berserker than the Berserker is.

So first mission boss I can really rant about...

Act 3 story stuff, Elona Riverlands after a certain boss (first mission in Act 3)

The Eater of Souls is almost impossible as a Weaver without staff. Staff Fire 4:
Burning Retreat almost seems mandatory for an ele.
He's somewhat hard, but weaver can take him decently well if you bring sword/dagger. Air and earth both have enough CC abilities since a single daze/stun/knockback is enough to break his bar. Air 5, Air 2, and Earth 4 all broke his bar in one shot. Air 2 is especially useful because it's basically instant and teleports you right on top of him. Water 2 and 5 for healing. It probably helped that I was running mostly celestial gear and was mindful of his break bar.

Stuart444

He's somewhat hard, but weaver can take him decently well if you bring sword/dagger. Air and earth both have enough CC abilities since a single daze/stun/knockback is enough to break his bar. Air 5, Air 2, and Earth 4 all broke his bar in one shot. Air 2 is especially useful because it's basically instant and teleports you right on top of him. Water 2 and 5 for healing. It probably helped that I was running mostly celestial gear and was mindful of his break bar.

Also requires you to be able to hit him the moment the bar shows, it disappears so quickly that if you're in mid-cast, have a conjured weapon up, not in the right attunement or have brain-delay (;_;) then you may miss the chance to break it.

That said, I didn't try it but Sword Water 2 may have been a good replacement for burning retreat. Not as fast but if you can hit a dodge right after, you may get far enough away assuming you do it the moment you see the circle on the ground before/when he jumps.

Still, in general, it's a pretty bad fight when party members (who can't actually fight and the boons they do can be taken from you) and ranger pets/minions/etc can mess you up. If it's not changed, I may go Soulbeast instead of Druid for it since I can merge me and my pet that way.

Also requires you to be able to hit him the moment the bar shows, it disappears so quickly that if you're in mid-cast, have a conjured weapon up, not in the right attunement or have brain-delay (;_;) then you may miss the chance to break it.

That said, I didn't try it but Sword Water 2 may have been a good replacement for burning retreat. Not as fast but if you can hit a dodge right after, you may get far enough away assuming you do it the moment you see the circle on the ground before/when he jumps.

Still, in general, it's a pretty bad fight when party members (who can't actually fight and the boons they do can be taken from you) and ranger pets/minions/etc can mess you up. If it's not changed, I may go Soulbeast instead of Druid for it since I can merge me and my pet that way.
Yeah, I can see problems with pet classes and the breakbar could really stand to have an extra second or so. I had a friend with me who tried it on guardian and failed miserably. It let me recognize the speed of the breakbar though, so I just brought fast interrupts to compensate. One way to help may be long duration cripple/chill effects. Not sure how much soft CC you need to keep him locked down since I relied on launch/daze. Did you try staff water 4 to stack chills?

Stuart444

Yeah, I can see problems with pet classes and the breakbar could really stand to have an extra second or so. I had a friend with me who tried it on guardian and failed miserably. It let me recognize the speed of the breakbar though, so I just brought fast interrupts to compensate. One way to help may be long duration cripple/chill effects. Not sure how much soft CC you need to keep him locked down since I relied on launch/daze. Did you try staff water 4 to stack chills?

Nah, once I had staff, it was a simple case of lava font/Staff Fire 3/firestorm/the odd bow 3/4 and using fire staff 4 the minute I see him jump with the circle appearing. The breakbar wasn't needed in that situation.

So yeah, I see this being easy - really hard depending on your profession (and even then depending on your set up)

Ashodin

man as a weaver I can't clear mobs as fast as tempest :/

It took me a bit to figure out my rotation as Firebrand. It basically boils down to (with my spec, until I get full Marshal gear) Engage, Symbol, Leap, Spin, Pop Save Yourselves! & blast two charges of Quickness mantra, blast a charge of heal mantra, Pop Feel My Wrath! then enter Tome of Justice. Once there, Pop 4, Pop 2, Then spam 1 until everything dies. Then repeat.

But basically yeah I was WAAAAAAAAAAAY used to using Spear of Justice (as Dragonhunter) to engage and I was unconsciously dropping into book beforehand and going "oops".

man as a weaver I can't clear mobs as fast as tempest :/
With persisting flames, you can do a pretty good fire/earth weaver. Stack up some might and fury with longer fire fields up. Earth skills on sword are a real workhorse with a good mix of blasts, conditions, and power damage. Air is a decent maneuvering set while water is for heals and dodging.

Massicot

This might be old news, but just in case anyone else is just learning this: there are keybind options for all of the mounts so you don't need to keep swapping it. I just did shift 1 through 5.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
With persisting flames, you can do a pretty good fire/earth weaver. Stack up some might and fury with longer fire fields up. Earth skills on sword are a real workhorse with a good mix of blasts, conditions, and power damage. Air is a decent maneuvering set while water is for heals and dodging.

I use daggers, my main problem with sword is they are slow as molasses

Viper Firebrand build: 48,000 damage per second.

4eb49cc7cb.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-5S14W2XyM

Indignate

Had Chosen fall out of the toilet today.

Earlier this month had Bolt drop sometime during DS meta.

That brings me to a precursor every 700 hours.

SZips

Into Act 3 of the expansion and aside from some issues, I've been enjoying it thus far.

It's just a shame that the issues I've run into are incredibly annoying and have only happened during main story quests. That is to say, I've had two quests bug out on me now, causing me to relog and try them again.

It's incredibly frustrating when I don't know that they're broken, so I spend what feels like forever wondering if I've done something wrong or if I'm missing something. No, both times they were legitimately broken.

First time was that none of the dragon crystals appeared in my world where they should have been. They just didn't exist. The marker was there, but they weren't.
I didn't know this until I quit out of frustration and logged on later just to see that they were exactly where I thought they should be and this time they rendered in.

Second time was when I entered the Mists. I picked up the pieces to the plate in the sand but it wouldn't let me place any of them. There was literally no prompt. Again had to relog after I spent forever just wandering around that area looking for something I thought I missed.

Maledict

I think I’m doing something really wrong. I used my boost on my thief, as the new Mesmer spec looks really uninteresting. Went into the first story instance of the expansion, and got blown away repeatedly by the mobs. Think I died like 5 times before I got to the raptors.

Is the gear from the boosts that? Are thieves really weak in pve stuff? Or are the build / weapon options it supplies a bad choice? Is content tuned for already having one Elite spec?

Aim_Ed

Berserker isn't very berserker. Same problem BDO had, they associate the wrong traits with it imo.

I mean, a torch, seriously?

Like in BDO I'd consider the Striker a better Berserker than the Berserker is.

Core or Soulbeast Ranger might fit the bill?

Top Bottom