• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 Press Beta [Prepurchase Is Live]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

I may just do that. Grrr... so many games this coming Fall. It's a flood of wallet crushing titles lol.

Just buy the ones that are going to keep you entertained the longest (hintGW2hint) and pick up the rest later, when they come down in price.

As Razazgriz mentioned, pre-ordering only gets you 1 day headstart while pre-purchase gets you 3.

Come on man, pay it off and join the cool gang
DqjUt.gif

??

Retro

Sorry, I was typing in your name, realized I didn't know exactly what it was, and went back to copy and paste it in. Ended up with the first part of what I thought your name was and the actual name, minus the R...

I usually edit my posts like two or three times before I finally get them right. Look on the bright side, because of your avatar sometimes I read your name as "Razgirl". Could have been worse.
JUWnj.gif

Aesthet1c

So I just watched that Gameinformer video, and WOW. That was amazing. Ive had the game pre purchased, and I've seen some I the media, but that was the first time I've really sat down and watched some video of it. My hype levels are through the roof now!

Ashodin

those of you watching videos and seeing the combat - once you get used to how it's all physical and not mechanical, yes, the combat is engaging and amazing. I know by experience.

Sorry, I was typing in your name, realized I didn't know exactly what it was, and went back to copy and paste it in. Ended up with the first part of what I thought your name was and the actual name, minus the R...

I usually edit my posts like two or three times before I finally get them right. Look on the bright side, because of your avatar sometimes I read your name as "Razgirl". Could have been worse.
JUWnj.gif

lmao yea, no worries. I've people have told me in the Swtor GAF Guild that "Razgriz" sounds like a girl's name :p I'll probably be making a GW2 Avatar in celebration of the release date announcement. But yea, got my name from this :D

UBduO.jpg

Achtius

Does ranger have an escape mechanism that let them 'teleport' to a specific location like the Elementalist?

All i see is Lightning Reflexes which just evade backward

Despite contacting ArenaNET about it, I'm going to see if I can go to EBGames to swap my 1 day headstart 'pre-order' edition with the proper pre-purchase version.

nataku

Interesting survey results of people on Reddit.

After ~5800 results, I believe the sample space is large enough to show some clear trends. And the trends are pretty interesting!

Q1: Which version did you buy?
Q2: Which race are you going to play?
Q3: Which profession are you going to play?

So, some conclusions from this data. (I'll also write out the data here in case anyone is at work and has Imgur blocked).
The purchasing data was pretty much what I would have expected. 47% have already pre-purcased the normal edition, 25% nabbed the deluxe, and 8% got themselves the CE. About 13% of respondents are going to get the game eventually, but haven't yet. Interestingly enough, there's 42 (1%) people on here who don't currently plan on buying the game.

The most popular race is clearly Human, with 30% of the votes. This is followed by a virtual tie between Sylvari (22%) and Asura (21%). Then follows the Charr (14%), and the Norn (13%) brings up the tail. No surprise that the "ugly" races would see fewer people playing them :) It should be noted that, of everyone who took the survey, 42 (< 1%) people skipped this question.

Finally, the professions. Elementalist clearly won the round here, with 18% of the votes. It was followed by the Thief (14%), the Warrior (13%), the Guardian (12%), the Ranger (12%), the Necromancer (11%), the Engineer (10%), and finally, the Mesmer (10%). I'm actually very surprised that the Engineer is so far down on the list; I figured that a brand new, interesting class like that would appeal to a lot of people, but I suppose not. 27 (< 1%) people skipped this question.

So, in conclusion, I expect to see a lot of Human Elementalists in-game once the beta weekends start rolling around. Enjoy the rest of your Saturday, and thanks for taking the time to participate in this survey!

EDIT
PyromaniacToaster suggested we should see what are the most popular race/profession combination. Unfortunately, GoogleDocs doesn't seem to provide any easy way to do this, so I've been manually running some numbers (and by manually, I mean using the Excel CountIf function :) on the usual suspects, and I'll list what I find here.

If anyone would like to run the numbers themselves, here is the raw data in an excel spreadsheet. I've already got the formulas entered and everything, and there are drop-down boxes for selecting which race and class you'd like to test. Enjoy!

I'm surprised Charr were so low. I thought they would be a lot more popular.

Retro

I'm surprised Charr were so low. I thought they would be a lot more popular.

Likewise, I thought we'd see Charr everywhere. I'm planning to go;

Human Female Guardian
Norn Male Warrrior
Char Male Engineer
Sylvari Female Mesmer

Those are the ones I have names reserved for at least. After that, maybe a thief. Not big on casters, obviously.

nataku

I'm gonna level up a male Charr Guardian and either female Human or Norn Mesmer at first. I'll probably bounce between the two.

Of course, that depends on the BWE. I'm planning to try every profession to see what one really grabs me from the start.

Retro

I'm gonna level up a male Charr Guardian and either femal Human or Norn Mesmer at first. I'll probably bounce between the two.

Of course, that depends on the BWE. I'm planning to try every class to see what one really grabs me from the start.

Yep. I may switch out which race my warrior and guardian is based on the BWE. I know I'll end up with one of the heavy armor professions, I just don't know which yet. I expect I will probably play both.

Oh, and the only reason Ranger isn't on that list is because the wife is planning to roll one. I may also roll a Thief too, just not sure which race. Asura needs some love, but I feel like there's gonna be a ton of those rolling around.

ShaneB

I doubt I'll roll a Charr. It's a mix of just not really caring about them, and just how slow they feel. It's why I could never really play a Tauren in WoW. I mostly played Gnomes, and to play a Tauren, everything just felt so slow and lumbering, it never felt right.

nataku

I doubt I'll roll a Charr. It's a mix of just not really caring about them, and just how slow they feel. It's why I could never really play a Tauren in WoW. I mostly played Gnomes, and to play a Tauren, everything just felt so slow and lumbering, it never felt right.

From the videos I've seen, Charr seem to move around pretty quick in terms of how the animation looks. Norn are definitely the slow looking race in GW2, from what I've seen in videos. Their running animation is really slow looking.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I dislike the way Charr move, and the fact that their hometown is a bleak shithole.

Obviously i'm exaggerating a little here, but I put a lot of importance in what kind of "feel" a certain city has. It's the reason why I loved Stormwind so much in World of Warcraft.

Screw the Charr never thought of them as badass (they were design to be so, lulz) or cool. Human and Sylvari are the two races I care for but will have one of each race. Have the game pre-purchased and now waiting for the Beta weekened event, been checking gw2guru everyday for news. Haven't been exited for a game in a long time. Cheers.

Achtius

I am surprise there are so few mesmers, and even lower amount of engineers

Gonna roll a human ranger (main) and a human elementalist/mesmer.

ShaneB

From the videos I've seen, Charr seem to move around pretty quick in terms of how the animation looks. Norn are definitely the slow looking race in GW2, from what I've seen in videos. Their running animation is really slow looking.

Ah ok. I'm at a point where I'm barely reading anything or watching any GW2 vids, so I feel a bit out of touch now.

I'm rolling Asura first, so I guess I'm just assuming they'll seem the quickest much like when I played Gnomes in WoW.

Jira

Ah ok. I'm at a point where I'm barely reading anything or watching any GW2 vids, so I feel a bit out of touch now.

I'm rolling Asura first, so I guess I'm just assuming they'll seem the quickest much like when I played Gnomes in WoW.

Asura do seem to be moving the fastest from an animation standpoint, but all races move at the same speed.

ShaneB

Asura do seem to be moving the fastest from an animation standpoint, but all races move at the same speed.

Heh, I know :p Much like my Gnome/Tauren comparison, they move at the same speed, but it's just the odd feeling that it just looks like they're moving slow.

Hmm, should I do human necro or Sylvari necro... decisions decisions

Question, does anyone know how the guild bank system works in this game? I was wondering because we can be in multiple, wouldn't that make it really difficult to manage who has access?

Keasar

Im going for Charr. They look the most badass, they got Steve Blum on their side and even though their hometown doesnt look that well, doesnt mean I have to spend my time there, I can just jump to another city and hang out there instead.

Or perhaps a Asura, just because their attitude towards others is pretty funny. :p

Retro

Hmm, should I do human necro or Sylvari necro... decisions decisions

Question, does anyone know how the guild bank system works in this game? I was wondering because we can be in multiple, wouldn't that make it really difficult to manage who has access?

I would imagine it has a ranking system like other MMOs, and your access is based on your rank. So if you're an Officer in one guild, you have lots of access. If you're a recruit in another you'd have less.

As far as your Necro goes... Killeen in Ghosts of Ascalon was a Sylvari Necro and had a really interesting point of view. Because the Sylvari have just recently been born into the world (the oldest Sylvari would only be 23 at the start of GW2), they have no concept of death. Killeen became a necromancer because death and the undead fascinated her.

Not sure how much thought you put into your characters or not. I know I personally work out at least a little backstory for mine, even though I rarely do anything resembling roleplay.

Im going for Charr. They look the most badass, they got Steve Blum on their side and even though their hometown doesnt look that well, doesnt mean I have to spend my time there, I can just jump to another city and hang out there instead.

Or perhaps a Asura, just because their attitude towards others is pretty funny. :p

Your home instance will always be in the Black Citadel though, so you'll have to at least return there once in a while. I can't say for sure where I'll hang out since I haven't seen enough footage for all 5 cities yet, but Divinity's Reach is certainly impressive.

WoW's gnomes were terrible; goofy comic relief midgets that were just as likely to blow themselves up as say something stupid. Asura, on the other hand, look to be technologically superior and proud of it. They're not so much cartoon tinkerers as they are a race of mad scientists.

inky

That's great, more Charr for me!

I think the only classes I'm not really interested in right now are Mesmer and Engineer. Thief looks OK, but I hate guns in fantasy games (they are usually stupid looking big barrel muskets or pirate guns) so I'll probably avoid that as well if guns are required for it.

ShaneB

WoW's gnomes were terrible; goofy comic relief midgets that were just as likely to blow themselves as say something stupid. Asura, on the other hand, look to be technologically superior and proud of it. They're not so much cartoon tinkerers as they are a race of mad scientists.

Boooooooooo. I loved the WoW Gnomes. Plenty of hilarity and just cartoonish mischief. I loved the gnome quest hubs like Toshley's Station, etc

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Glad Guardians and Engineers aren't the go to classes for now.

And hell yeah for humans being popular!

zulfate

even with that survey give the game a few months and people will start playing something else, like in the good old days of wow it was 90% hunters in the beginning.

though i do see mesmers and engineers are going to be the "warlock" class like in wow....which means not a whole lot of people will play them, but thats my opinion lol.

i am thinking

1.charr warrior -i have always played a warrior in mmos, so i dont see why my first character will not be a warrior in gw2

2. human engineer -because i think they look awesome

3. asuran mesmer - how annoying in pvp to chase after 3 or 4 clones of a tiny man lol

4. sylvari necro -die trees die!!!

4. norn hunter - will not be playing my hunter with range pure melee and pets (beastmaster)

5. asuran thief -my pvp character. just for fun, i think i have a cool name for him too

DJIzana

even with that survey give the game a few months and people will start playing something else, like in the good old days of wow it was 90% hunters in the beginning.

though i do see mesmers and engineers are going to be the "warlock" class like in wow....which means not a whole lot of people will play them, but thats my opinion lol.

i am thinking

1.charr warrior -i have always played a warrior in mmos, so i dont see why my first character will not be a warrior in gw2

2. human engineer -because i think they look awesome

3. asuran mesmer - how annoying in pvp to chase after 3 or 4 clones of a tiny man lol

4. sylvari necro -die trees die!!!

4. norn hunter - will not be playing my hunter with range pure melee and pets (beastmaster)

5. asuran thief -my pvp character. just for fun, i think i have a cool name for him too

For me, I hope to have all of these characters.

1. Human Elementalist - normally I play a melee character first, time to switch it up... plus spells look SICK!

2. Sylvari Guardian - I like holy knight type classes & sylvari's look sick... especiall their zone.

3. Charr Ranger - I rarely make a physical damage ranged based character as well... I really like how cool the pets look.

4. Norn Engineer - Flamethrowers + Rifles are very cool... + the potions!

5. Asuran thief - probably join you on that as my pvp type character + just to have something that's an Asura.

6. Charr warrior - dual axes are freaking amazing... 'nuff said.

All this is pending surely on time that I have of course. :D

Just thought I'd post this here, I've had a situation where I was given the completely wrong box for pre-purchasing and got the pre-order box instead. It turns out that at the EBGames I went to: the employees were completely unaware of the difference.
The "Pre-Order" box only gives you a 1 day headstart and no beta weekend access or Hero's band. If you were accidentally given one I would recommend sorting this out now and not later.
Here's the difference between the boxes:

Lqmo6h.jpg

YOU DO NOT WANT THE PRE-ORDER BOX. It gives you one day headstart from launch, meant for $5 purchase.

vaQ8Uh.jpg

You want the "Standard Edition Pre-Purchase box".
Gives you beta weekend access, 3 day headstart from launch and Hero's Band in-game item.

Given if you pay full price for pre-purchase.

Just thought I'd post this here, I've had a situation where I was given the completely wrong box for pre-purchasing and got the pre-order box instead. It turns out that at the EBGames I went to: the employees were completely unaware of the difference.
The "Pre-Order" box only gives you a 1 day headstart and no beta weekend access or Hero's band. If you were accidentally given one I would recommend sorting this out now and not later.
Here's the difference between the boxes:

Canada right?

I would imagine it has a ranking system like other MMOs, and your access is based on your rank. So if you're an Officer in one guild, you have lots of access. If you're a recruit in another you'd have less.

As far as your Necro goes... Killeen in Ghosts of Ascalon was a Sylvari Necro and had a really interesting point of view. Because the Sylvari have just recently been born into the world (the oldest Sylvari would only be 23 at the start of GW2), they have no concept of death. Killeen became a necromancer because death and the undead fascinated her.

Not sure how much thought you put into your characters or not. I know I personally work out at least a little backstory for mine, even though I rarely do anything resembling roleplay.

That does sound intriguing, I think I'll do that.. A Killer plant minion master has a nice ring to it

LowParry

Thief Day Beta. I'm extremely excited for that class. Always have played the rogue classes in any MMO. Eventually I'll get me a caster type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom